I am sorry about this post but I am - STILL - genuinely in doubt here!

The Blackberry Priv looks really great. It looks like a very good alternative to the Blackphone 2, and I was seriously considering ordering that instead. But then I realised that it does not do what I want it to do. Or does it?

I need a phone that will prevent any installed app from accessing any of my private data at any point in time. Blackphone 2 does so very nicely and effectively by simply isolating all your private data, like contacts, mails, sms and calendar data etc. But compared to the Blackberry Priv, the Blackphone 2 sucks hardware-wise. I would buy it for the privacy alone. As would I the Blackberry.

On Blackbery Priv - which I assume stands for "Priv"-acy - I see an application called DTEK - I assume it stands for DeTEction something?

However. DTEK seem like a rather useless application. Completely useless in fact.
    I acknowledge the usability in knowing if your data has been compromised, if you were not allready aware that they are always being compromised. Giving that you buy a Priv, you probably allready know that, and you dont need an app to teach you.

But DTEK will apparently only tell you that you have been compromised AFTER it actually happened. Everyone knows that 1 incident will copy your whole contact list to the internet. Once its out there, the damage is total and done.

So. The DTEK application seem to work like an app that will tell you that you just missed your plane - in that case we could call the phone Blackberry Air - or that someone just took your parking spot - we would most likely call the phone Blackberry Car or whatever.

But seriously, I do not need to know if I missed my plane, and I do not need to know that my parking spot was taken. I will figure that out eventually. What I need, is an app that will prevent me from missing my plane and prevent someone from taking my parking spot.

Blackberry!
    I - seriously - do not need an app that will tell me, that someone just stole my personal data.

>> I need an app that will prevent that from happening - like, ever!

That's "Priv" to me!

>> Will I get that? Or can I have that please?

Thank you!
    Last edited by harper_ei; 11-05-15 at 07:41 AM.
    10-29-15 09:27 AM
    You raise a really good point. I think that at this stage only BlackBerry themselves could answer your question. My personal opinion is that I don't see this device as being that much more "private" than any other device as long as you're smart about where you get your apps from and what you do with them. In all, I think the advantage of the PRIV is only in the form factor and the productivity apps. I think the whole privacy angle is just marketing spin.
    Hlao-roo likes this.
    10-29-15 09:36 AM

Blackberry!
    I - seriously - do not need an app that will tell me, that someone just stole my personal data. I need an app that will prevent that from happening - like, ever!

That's "Priv" to me!

Will I get that? Or can I have that please?

Thank you!
    Well, in Android marshmallow you will be able to control permissions just as you would a BB10 device.
    In most cases, you don't know if an app needs access to your contacts for example for serios purposes or just to sell them.

Let's say you download a chat app from the play store. That app requests accesss to your contacts to match you with other friends. Seems reasonable. That very same app could send a copy of your contacts to a remote server for proper friends matching (which in 99% of cases will be done server-side). How would dtek prevent such a behavior?

the user is informed and should use some common sense when granting certain permission to apps.
    10-29-15 09:40 AM
    Lol. You call it like u see it. Let's see Dtek show some prevention.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 09:46 AM
    Another good question: aside from granular permissions, how exactly does BB10 prevent apps from "stealing" your information?
    southlander likes this.
    10-29-15 09:49 AM
    Another good question: aside from granular permissions, how exactly does BB10 prevent apps from "stealing" your information?
    BlackBerry 10, obscurity. Since the platform is barely used, those that care to steal information won't target it since it has such a tiny user base.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    10-29-15 09:55 AM
    Let the phone be released first and have a couple of people do a hands on evaluation of the Priv before giving some conclusion.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    10-29-15 10:04 AM
    BlackBerry 10, obscurity. Since the platform is barely used, those that care to steal information won't target it since it has such a tiny user base.
    Wait... we BB10 owners had the magic sandbox to protect us when we were downloading apps from 1Mobile.....

We need the phone to get released and BB to provide more information - as thus far it seems it will just let you know when you have a problem. But without it, they problem would continue.
    10-29-15 10:11 AM
    I need a phone that will prevent any installed app from accessing any of my private data at any point in time. Blackphone 2 does so very nicely and effectively by simply isolating all your private data, like contacts, mails, sms and calendar data etc. But compared to the Blackberry Priv, the Blackphone 2 sucks hardware-wise. I would buy it for the privacy alone. As would I the Blackberry.
    How can you be so sure that the Blackphone 2 isn't just pretending to do what you think it is, while not really securing your data? Just because the user interface is showing you what you want to see?

And how would you know that the Priv won't be able do what you assume the Blackphone 2 is doing, or even better?
    10-29-15 10:21 AM
    Wait... we BB10 owners had the magic sandbox to protect us when we were downloading apps from 1Mobile.....

We need the phone to get released and BB to provide more information - as thus far it seems it will just let you know when you have a problem. But without it, they problem would continue.
    The platform may be barely used, but the apps aren't. The only thing the sandbox has going for it is file protection - all those apps actually have access to a linked copy of what's in the BB10 filesystem. They can delete the link, so it appears to the app it did what it was told, but the actual file or contact remains intact on the BB10 side.

(and yes Triple D, I'm aware you were being sarcastic )
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-29-15 10:24 AM
    Well, in Android marshmallow you will be able to control permissions just as you would a BB10 device.
    Good point. Problem is that Marshmallow won't be on the Priv Day 1 and Blackberry hasn't released any timetable at all for when the phone will be upgraded to it. Every other major manufacturer has released when Marshmallow is coming to their flagship phones (with most in the next few weeks).

Plus, the OP raises a good point - I actually have been wondering if a Nexus on Marshmallow (available now) provides more privacy than a Priv will, at least until the OS upgrade happens to the Priv. And then won't both phones pretty much have the same privacy features? Wondering too why it's called a "Priv".
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    10-29-15 10:30 AM
    I am sorry about this post but I am genuinely in doubt here!

The Blackberry Priv looks really great. It looks like a very good alternative to the Blackphone 2, and I was seriously considering ordering that instead. But then I realised that it does not do what I want it to do. Or does it?

On Blackbery Priv - which I assume stands for "Priv"-acy - I see an application called DTEK - I assume it stands for DeTEction something?

However. DTEK seem like a rather useless application. Completely useless in fact.
    I acknowledge the usability in knowing if your data has been compromised, if you were not allready aware that they are always being compromised. Giving that you buy a Priv, you probably allready know that, and you dont need an app to teach you.

But DTEK will apparently only tell you that you have been compromised AFTER it actually happened. Everyone knows that 1 incident will copy your whole contact list to the internet. Once its out there, the damage is total and done.

So. The DTEK application seem to work like an app that will tell you that you just missed your plane - in that case we could call the phone Blackberry Air - or that someone just took your parking spot - we would most likely call the phone Blackberry Car or whatever.

But seriously, I do not need to know if I missed my plane, and I do not need to know that my parking spot was taken. I will figure that out eventually. What I need, is an app that will prevent me from missing my plane and prevent someone from taking my parking spot.

Blackberry!
    I - seriously - do not need an app that will tell me, that someone just stole my personal data. I need an app that will prevent that from happening - like, ever!

That's "Priv" to me!

Will I get that? Or can I have that please?

Thank you!
    First thing first, have you ever used Priv?
    I don't want to speak for BlackBerry, for I am merely an end user. You can call me a BlackBerry fan, but I don't defend them just because I believe in them.
    Blackphone2 is all about encryption. They basically encrypt everything.
    Priv warn s you before someone is going to steal or use your data.
    Blackphone charges you from the second year on. I can't recall the exact amount,but they will charge you for sure.
    And, if you want a fully-secured phone, a BlackBerry 10 plus BES12 will probably satisfy you, but they charge too.
    No phone is free from apps. No app is free from using or stealing your personal data. That's it. That's the way things go.

Posted via CB10
    okanagan likes this.
    10-29-15 10:39 AM
    So you are not using BlackBerry 10 because it does not have a HUGE user base.
    What kind of car are you driving? It must be a Toyota or VW because it has a HUGE user base as the former is only good at trouble-free and the latter is a ******* liar.
    Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 10:42 AM
    Good point. Problem is that Marshmallow won't be on the Priv Day 1 and Blackberry hasn't released any timetable at all for when the phone will be upgraded to it. Every other major manufacturer has released when Marshmallow is coming to their flagship phones (with most in the next few weeks).

Plus, the OP raises a good point - I actually have been wondering if a Nexus on Marshmallow (available now) provides more privacy than a Priv will, at least until the OS upgrade happens to the Priv. And then won't both phones pretty much have the same privacy features? Wondering too why it's called a "Priv".
    An OEM can implement the app permission features of Marshmallow into Lollipop today, it just requires more work.

Funny, how nobody has a problem with Silent Circle doing this with their Silent OS(Lollipop) on the BlackPhone 2, yet it's not okay for BlackBerry to do the same with the Priv's initial launch.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-29-15 10:52 AM
    Priv warns you before someone is going to steal or use your data.
    Isn't that his actual point? That it appears that DTek doesn't do that - it tells you afterwards?
    10-29-15 10:55 AM

The thing is even on a BB10 device the moment you give an app access to your photos/contacts/anything you have to trust the app doesn't do anything bad with that info.
    10-29-15 10:57 AM
    So you are not using BlackBerry 10 because it does not have a HUGE user base.
    What kind of car are you driving? It must be a Toyota or VW because it has a HUGE user base as the former is only good at trouble-free and the latter is a ******* liar.
    Posted via CB10
    I use a BlackBerry Passport and iPhone 6s Plus...and what are you on about?
    10-29-15 11:07 AM
    Android with Google Play Services preinstalled means that privacy is just a marketing buzz word.
    jsmith00075 likes this.
    10-29-15 12:15 PM
    Come to think of it DTEK is really just a very very annoying app.

Getting a notification from DTEK is like receiving a call from your bank:

"Hi. We just wanted to let you know that we left your money on the street. And guess what!? Someone took it and left. Are'nt you happy we called you, to let you know?"

Beautifull!
    10-29-15 01:44 PM
    Come to think of it DTEK is really just a very very annoying app.

Getting a notification from DTEK is like receiving a call from your bank:

"Hi. We just wanted to let you know that we left your money on the street. And guess what!? Someone took it and left. Are'nt you happy we called you, to let you know?"

Beautifull!
    Sounds like you're getting all worked up about how you think DTEK will work.

from: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...d_and_will_be/
    Where is the privacy in Blackberry Priv?-capture.jpg
    10-29-15 01:48 PM
    I allready read that post on Reddit. In fact i have read just about everything I could find that remotely resembles DTEK, including the deep descriptions in google app shop. And it appears to function exactly the way I describe it.

IF that is the case - and I believe it is so - then Priv does not have any privacy at all. I will no doubt go for the Blackphone, despite the very poor hardware. Too bad I think. The Priv is a nice phone indeed. But if you want to sell Privacy, then you better provide it.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    10-29-15 01:57 PM
    I allready read that post on Reddit. In fact i have read just about everything I could find that remotely resembles DTEK, including the deep descriptions in google app shop. And it appears to function exactly the way I describe it.

IF that is the case - and I believe it is so - then Priv does not have any privacy at all. I will no doubt go for the Blackphone, despite the very poor hardware. Too bad I think. The Priv is a nice phone indeed. But if you want to sell Privacy, then you better provide it.
    And what exactly is BB10 doing to better protect your privacy? Other than granular permissions (which Android will get in the next update) there is nothing exactly preventing apps from uploading information on a sever once you give it access to said info.
    southlander likes this.
    10-29-15 03:16 PM
    If you want complete privacy as in zero data getting out, then you have no business owning a smartphone. Better just use a flip phone (a.k.a. dumbphone). It's naive to think even a BB10 device is not leaking out any data from your device.
    10-29-15 03:30 PM
    As I've said earlier, I think that it is pretty safe to assume that DTEK, at this stage, is reactive software, not proactive.
    ssilva7 likes this.
    10-29-15 03:40 PM
    As I've said earlier, I think that it is pretty safe to assume that DTEK, at this stage, is reactive software, not proactive.
    so except for app vetting when submitted to the app store, what would you consider proactive "privacy protection" software?
    10-29-15 03:44 PM
74 123