Android: A switcher's thoughts after nine months of using an iPhone | InfoWorld

Posting this here because it covers android, Since so many folks are upset and in a quandary about BBOS10 being put to sleep and if Android is a fit for them or maybe Apple. This is a short post on a comparison by one person of iphone and a nexus phone.

What is obvious is no OS will suit everyone. If your first phone was an iphone, or Android or BB you are 'acclimatized' to that OS and any other will always feel odd and uncomfortable. You'll always miss one thing or another from your original OS you learned on.

Each seems to have true advantages over others as well as true disadvantages to others. So what to do?

Me, Is was raised on BB and have used three of it's OS's. Compare the three BB OS's and you find lovers and haters of each one. I've never tried an iPhone but did take an almost two year vacation from BB, on a Nexus 4, after a Torch, and before OS10. Primarily the reason to start looking around was the eye headaches that the screen gave me on a constant basis. I came back to a Z30 and I loved BBOS10 right away! and within 8 months gave the Z30 to my wife, bought a Passport. I love that darn thing!

Now I often go back to a Nexus 7 for streaming needs, but I still don't feel comfortable on Android. I tried a Priv for a short time and the uneasy feeling of, now where is this and where is that is always there. Even with nearly two solid years on a Nexus 4 and more on Nexus 7.

As for me, I'm riding the Passport Wave for as long as it operates over the Internet to my satisfaction. Heck if I could be happy once at the ridiculous 'Blue Screen of Death', it will take a major change in operation of my Passport to get me to use another OS. To me the Passport is the pinnacle of Smart Phones, it is BB's greatest triumph to me, it's form it's OS it's function.

I think if they could make an Android out of Passport, I'd finally release my death grip, eventually from my BBOS10 Passport. But for now and for some time to come, years, I'll be content with what I have. The one major function that I must have is a PKB, I will always hated full touch screen.
    06-14-16 06:07 AM
    So, you're going nowhere....
    06-14-16 07:01 AM
    What if BlackBerry were to become a pk module producer for the module phones coming to market (e.g., Moto Z, LG5)?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-14-16 07:28 AM
    So, you're going nowhere....
    If your living in NY City or Paris or London can u really say your going nowhere? I'm a grown up, I don't need to chase the next pretty girl that I see , If I already have all that I need, I can be content. So, going nowhere, nope, I'm satisfied!
    Last edited by mawil1013; 06-14-16 at 08:24 AM.
    06-14-16 07:52 AM
    What if BlackBerry were to become a pk module producer for the module phones coming to market (e.g., Moto Z, LG5)?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I'd still be uncomfortable with Android. Been there, done that, still have some of it, its the entire package, Passport form and function, PKB and BB10OS! Triple Play!
    06-14-16 07:54 AM
    If your living in NY City or Paris or London can u really say your going nowhere? I'm a grown up, I don't need to chase the next pretty girl that I see, If I already have all that I need, I can be content. So, going nowhere, nope, I'm satisfied!
    A little sensitive....

Wasn't talking about your "life", just your smartphone choice.....
    06-14-16 08:04 AM
    A little sensitive....

Wasn't talking about your "life", just your smartphone choice.....
    Sorry it came across that way, it wasn't meant to be. I'll go back and put some chuckle icons in.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-14-16 08:23 AM
    I just went to a business conference for a week... the Priv sucked, to be blunt. Battery life was horrible (2-3 hours tops), when wifi timed out (ie at hotel have to renew every 24 hrs, conference venue seemed to be random lengths of time) I got no notification that I needed to log into hot spot (like I do on BBOS10) and it did not fail over to cellular data network (like it does on BBOS10) therefore I got no emails, etc until I realized what was going on, which caused a problem with a customer. (WiFi icon showed connected but yet it wasn't - I had to delete saved SSID and reconnect to get the hot spot login option. If anyone knows how to fix this I'd love to know!)

Luckily, I also brought my Passport with me and after 2 days of trying to keep the Priv charged and connected, I switched to the Passport for the remainder of the trip... battery lasted all day and when wifi timed out I still received everything via my cellular network.

I would stay on the Passport permanently but I feel like I need to adjust to android so that when BBOS is gone for good I'm already set, so I switch back and forth. But this trip has renewed my mourning for the demise of BBOS.
    06-14-16 02:07 PM