Issue is they prioritize what their tech support people spend time on.

Sales - current and future as a big factor. Will an update significantly improve the user experience? Will it lead to more sales? How costly will it be to implement?

The PRIV was a flop, and an update with Marshmallow isn't going to change that. I expect that they'll eventually get it pushed out, but better selling product that cover a much larger percentage of their users will always come first.
    Was referring to security updates not marshmallow.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-20-16 09:34 AM
    I'm going to guess in December for those with cell providers that care about customers. Which means before Verizon gets Marshmallow.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    09-20-16 09:36 AM
    or flash CM14....oh wait we cant do that. LOL
    09-20-16 10:30 AM
    I'm guessing that taking out the SIM Card and attempting to update won't work.
    09-20-16 03:41 PM
    When it is released.

09-20-16 09:06 PM
    I could care less for all these (monthly) "pseudo" security updates which few care about and which basically nobody even knows what life changing protection they granted compared to devices that don't have these (monthly) security updates. This whole marketing strategy of Priv being the most secure Android phone is just plain silly.
    *couldn't care less

andy957 likes this.
    09-20-16 10:56 PM
    What specifically are you so unhappy with in Lollipop or Marshmallow that you can't wait for another OS?
    09-20-16 11:28 PM
    So just to summarise , nougat will be the last update for the priv? Then bang we would need to get a new device for further improvements?

Well that sucks. But hey, that's business. Life and hardware moves on.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv powered by Blackdroid
    09-21-16 06:27 AM
    So just to summarise , nougat will be the last update for the priv? Then bang we would need to get a new device for further improvements?

Well that sucks. But hey, that's business. Life and hardware moves on.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv powered by Blackdroid
    Probably. But why do you think that would be such a bad thing? I used a KitKat device until a month ago and it's not really that big a difference. I would probably use it for another year if it hadn't died.
    09-21-16 06:50 AM
    Just got the my update for Nougat today..... on the Nexus 6P of course. heh heh
    09-21-16 12:10 PM
    Probably. But why do you think that would be such a bad thing? I used a KitKat device until a month ago and it's not really that big a difference. I would probably use it for another year if it hadn't died.
    Please specify with examples what is missing from Marshmallow that you absolutely must have in another OS.
    09-21-16 12:19 PM
    What specifically are you so unhappy with in Lollipop or Marshmallow that you can't wait for another OS?
    It's not so much being unhappy with Marshmallow, more what improvements nougat brings to the table. For me it's the quick reply via notifications, refined notification customization, and improved Doze for better battery life. Others could be drooling over the native split screen, or multi language support.

09-21-16 12:21 PM
    you owe me a nickel
    09-05-17 06:43 PM
    It's not so much being unhappy with Marshmallow, more what improvements nougat brings to the table. For me it's the quick reply via notifications, refined notification customization, and improved Doze for better battery life. Others could be drooling over the native split screen, or multi language support.

Not to mention improved security and more granular and clear apps permissions...
    09-06-17 12:42 AM
    5X Got it...

Alex Thurber confirmed on a UTB Blog cast recently that Android N is not coming to Priv
    09-09-17 03:28 PM
    Oh well, I have moved on to KeyOne - hope this one will at least get Orio.
    09-09-17 04:23 PM
    unless BlackBerry comes out with a 6 inch flagship, I'm probably going to go to a company that provides OS updates and when those expire I can't root it. I'll really miss the keyboard of the PRIV. this message I am typing would be a pain in the arse to do on a touc screen.

I just want the latest OS. and I know the PRIV can handle it. if the S5 neo can, if the Nexus 5 can, if a rooted S3 can, the PRIV can.

there is no excuse other than that they are trying to cut costs and don't think the PRIV can turn anymore profits.
    09-09-17 04:31 PM
    It's more simple. They exited the hardware business. Updating the PRIV is just a waste of good shareholders money. BlackBerry Original gains nothing updating the PRIV and if an update happened to mess up your PRIV, you'd expect it to be fixed. Better they leave it alone. If you want Nougat, buy a new device.
    09-09-17 04:37 PM
    unless BlackBerry comes out with a 6 inch flagship, I'm probably going to go to a company that provides OS updates and when those expire I can't root it. I'll really miss the keyboard of the PRIV. this message I am typing would be a pain in the arse to do on a touc screen.

I just want the latest OS. and I know the PRIV can handle it. if the S5 neo can, if the Nexus 5 can, if a rooted S3 can, the PRIV can.

there is no excuse other than that they are trying to cut costs and don't think the PRIV can turn anymore profits.
    You are speaking some truth brother. The PRIV is probably the best thing that never was and could still be. You really are better off buying Nexus and Samsung and phones that can handle a recovery, you don't even have to root. I'm talking to you now on an s4 with NOUGAT 7.1, it's my vintage for fun device. I did it with no root. Blackberry users don't seem to understand what Android is all about
    09-09-17 07:12 PM

Galaxy s4
    Attached Thumbnails When Will PRIV get Nougat?-1626.jpg  
    09-09-17 07:14 PM
    I think everyone is having a hard time understanding that BlackBerry left the consumer mobile hardware business. They are in Enterprise and Government sector and receive Licensing royalties from companies that pay them for their brand name and wholesale software improvements to Android.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    09-10-17 09:28 AM
    I think everyone is having a hard time understanding that BlackBerry left the consumer mobile hardware business. They are in Enterprise and Government sector and receive Licensing royalties from companies that pay them for their brand name and wholesale software improvements to Android.
    People seem to have difficulty getting their heads around this.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    09-10-17 10:02 AM
    People seem to have difficulty getting their heads around this.
    I think people have trouble getting their heads around being told PRIV would receive updates on par with a Nexus (two years of OS updates and three years of security updates, as mentioned earlier in this thread) and then being left in the cold. And you are kidding yourself if you believe no one here is going to be upset about BlackBerry rescinding on its commitments for its final three smartphones, particularly now that it is cash positive and just received a billion dollar payout from Qualcomm.
    09-10-17 10:36 AM
    I think people have trouble getting their heads around being told PRIV would receive updates on par with a Nexus (two years of OS updates and three years of security updates, as mentioned earlier in this thread) and then being left in the cold. And you are kidding yourself if you believe no one here is going to be upset about BlackBerry rescinding on its commitments for its final three smartphones, particularly now that it is cash positive and just received a billion dollar payout from Qualcomm.
    The ONLY statement by BlackBerry with regard to updates was with respect to timely security patches - and BlackBerry continues to deliver.

PRIV patches:

Jun - May 18 - build AAF057
    Jul - Jun 24 - build AAF518
    Aug - Jul 29/Aug 12 - build AAF960/AAG111(quadrooter)
    Sep - Aug 28 - build AAG191
    Oct - Sep 30 - build AAG853
    Nov - Nov 4 - build AAH505
    Dec - Dec 3 - build AAH995
    Jan - Jan 4 - build AAI459
    Feb - Feb 3 - build AAJ043
    Mar - Mar 10 - build AAJ919
    Apr - Apr 20 - build AAK689
    May - May 12 - build AAL202
    Jun - Jun 5 - build AAL746
    Jul(1) - Jul 5 - build AAM489
    Jul(5) - Jul 21 - build AAM940
    Aug - Aug 14 - build AAN335
    Sep - Sep 7 - build AAO484
    09-10-17 10:54 AM
    The ONLY statement by BlackBerry with regard to updates was with respect to timely security patches - and BlackBerry continues to deliver.

PRIV patches:

Jun - May 18 - build AAF057
    Jul - Jun 24 - build AAF518
    Aug - Jul 29/Aug 12 - build AAF960/AAG111(quadrooter)
    Sep - Aug 28 - build AAG191
    Oct - Sep 30 - build AAG853
    Nov - Nov 4 - build AAH505
    Dec - Dec 3 - build AAH995
    Jan - Jan 4 - build AAI459
    Feb - Feb 3 - build AAJ043
    Mar - Mar 10 - build AAJ919
    Apr - Apr 20 - build AAK689
    May - May 12 - build AAL202
    Jun - Jun 5 - build AAL746
    Jul(1) - Jul 5 - build AAM489
    Jul(5) - Jul 21 - build AAM940
    Aug - Aug 14 - build AAN335
    Sep - Sep 7 - build AAO484
    BlackBerry has clearly not delivered on OS updates. That is obvious. Why do you think they need to finally came clean on this? It was expected they would deliver. And they failed.

And by the way I was quoting a knowledgeable person who compared the expected service level to that of Nexus his earlier in the thread. Go ahead and check for yourself. Everyone has been misled by this company.

Thankfully they have remained faithful to their Hub+ clients and hopefully they will continue to support their meagre Android security offering and not spin that off into oblivion as well.
    09-10-17 11:11 AM
56 123