Why on earth would Whatsapp (Android) not give you the option to save media to SD Card by default?!?!

9700, 9790, Q10, Priv-MM
    08-30-16 08:18 PM
    Yeah don't find the option too on my Priv, would be nice if we can choose save to SD card by default
    08-30-16 10:10 PM
    Why on earth would Whatsapp (Android) not give you the option to save media to SD Card by default?!?!

9700, 9790, Q10, Priv-MM
    That's the problem of WhatsApp itself. They don't allow you to save media or anything to SD card. It's been like this for a while though.. Not sure why..

Posted via my PRIV!
    08-30-16 10:20 PM
    If I am not mistaken, this is an Android Issue. At some point in the past, Android decided that giving apps access to the media card was a security issue and that's when Whatsapp stopped supporting Save To SD option.
    08-30-16 11:33 PM
    If I am not mistaken, this is an Android Issue. At some point in the past, Android decided that giving apps access to the media card was a security issue and that's when Whatsapp stopped supporting Save To SD option.
    It's not really an issue, it's a security thing. SD cards are not encryped by default and I don't want someone to be able to just take my card out and see my fiancee's nudes and post them online (jk, but you get the idea).

I think that you can do it if you adopt your SD card, i.e. format it as internal storage. Go to Settings>Storage & USB>SD card>(tap menu)>Settings>Format as internal.
    Then it's encrypted and you can transfer apps to it and it should also transfer the app's data.
    Adoptable Storage | Android Open Source Project

My SD is not currently adopted so I can't check if this works with Whatsapp, but if you don't mind formatting your card, you can try. One thing to note, as your SD is slower than the internal storage, the app will be a bit slower. I don't think it would be noticable with Whatsapp and similar apps, though.
    08-31-16 04:31 AM
    It's not really an issue, it's a security thing. SD cards are not encryped by default and I don't want someone to be able to just take my card out and see my fiancee's nudes and post them online (jk, but you get the idea).

I think that you can do it if you adopt your SD card, i.e. format it as internal storage. Go to Settings>Storage & USB>SD card>(tap menu)>Settings>Format as internal.
    Then it's encrypted and you can transfer apps to it and it should also transfer the app's data.
    Adoptable Storage | Android Open Source Project

My SD is not currently adopted so I can't check if this works with Whatsapp, but if you don't mind formatting your card, you can try. One thing to note, as your SD is slower than the internal storage, the app will be a bit slower. I don't think it would be noticable with Whatsapp and similar apps, though.
    That is all well and good but they eliminated any option that *I* have to use my sd-card without big-brother throwing in all kinds of obstacles. I keep sensitive data in Internal Memory and "loseable" data on my sd-card.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    08-31-16 09:32 AM
    That is all well and good but they eliminated any option that *I* have to use my sd-card without big-brother throwing in all kinds of obstacles. I keep sensitive data in Internal Memory and "loseable" data on my sd-card.
    I agree with you, I meant that it's not an issue in the common sense as a bug or something. The fact that you have an issue with it is another matter.

There ought to be an option to change it, I agree, but obviously WA's programmers couldn't be bothered to add those 10 lines of code required for it, and if it really has to be one or the other, I'd rather it be saved to internal storage.
    08-31-16 09:45 AM
    This is why I say that WhatsApp on BlackBerry 10 is better than WhatsApp is on Android. The other reasons are ;

- WhatsApp on BlackBerry 10 let's you see how many of your contacts uses WhatsApp and how many doesn't

- WhatsApp on BlackBerry 10 also have a tab that shows you all the group chat that you have.

- WhatsApp on BlackBerry 10 also allow you to share the media that you've received directly from the message and not having to download first and then go to the folder and find the documents, photo or video and then share from there.

There are possibly more features on BlackBerry 10 but I cannot remember all as I have not used it in a while now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-31-16 10:50 AM
    - WhatsApp on BlackBerry 10 also allow you to share the media that you've received directly from the message and not having to download first and then go to the folder and find the documents, photo or video and then share from there.
    Don't know about the other things (never had a BB before Priv), but how do you mean that you can't do this? Long press on a message containing your media and a share button appears in the upper right corner. Or open it, tap the menu button and then there's share. You can also forward to another WhatsApp contact or group with the forward button.
    08-31-16 11:17 AM
    Don't know about the other things (never had a BB before Priv), but how do you mean that you can't do this? Long press on a message containing your media and a share button appears in the upper right corner. Or open it, tap the menu button and then there's share. You can also forward to another WhatsApp contact or group with the forward button.
    Perhaps I need to clarify this. I don't download any pictures sent to me via WhatsApp as it is totally annoying to have to delete multiple copies of it. So in BlackBerry 10 I just long press on it and press share. In Android I have to download it first.

Assuming that the unfortunate happens and I downloaded the picture by accident, in BlackBerry 10 I can just long press and then share it out via BBM, email or even Facebook or whatever app I wish to share it to. In Android I cannot. I need to go to the folder where the picture is first then only share it to any other app that o wish to.

The other thing is if there are multiple pictures that I need to share as sometimes m customers will take shots of several pages of documents and WhatsApp to me. In BlackBerry 10 WhatsApp I can just select multiple pictures, tap share & email it immediately to my staff with instructions on what to do. In Android I will have to download all these pictures, go to the folder where the pictures are then only select 1 first then share to email and from the email, add the other pictures. Then only put in the instructions for my staff to work on.

So much for upgrading to Android right?

Mirko935 likes this.
    08-31-16 01:11 PM
    Perhaps I need to clarify this. I don't download any pictures sent to me via WhatsApp as it is totally annoying to have to delete multiple copies of it. So in BlackBerry 10 I just long press on it and press share. In Android I have to download it first.

Assuming that the unfortunate happens and I downloaded the picture by accident, in BlackBerry 10 I can just long press and then share it out via BBM, email or even Facebook or whatever app I wish to share it to. In Android I cannot. I need to go to the folder where the picture is first then only share it to any other app that o wish to.

The other thing is if there are multiple pictures that I need to share as sometimes m customers will take shots of several pages of documents and WhatsApp to me. In BlackBerry 10 WhatsApp I can just select multiple pictures, tap share & email it immediately to my staff with instructions on what to do. In Android I will have to download all these pictures, go to the folder where the pictures are then only select 1 first then share to email and from the email, add the other pictures. Then only put in the instructions for my staff to work on.

So much for upgrading to Android right?

Oh, you have Media auto-download off... Now it makes sense. Sorry, I never had that option off so I didn't know that it doesn't work.

And indeed you can't share more that one picture at once, you can only forward it. That's stupid.

But you can select multiple pictures at once and then share them at once from Photos or from a File Manager (I use FX), you don't have to select one, share and then add them from the email. That works on my phone. It is unfortunate that the other things you need don't work.

At least I never had BB 10 so I don't know what I'm missing
    08-31-16 01:25 PM
    Yes you'd need to download the media before you can forward within Whatsapp or share externally.

I don't have Media on autodownload either but I do share bits across many platforms.

Posted via handy dandy PRIV
    08-31-16 05:31 PM
    No choice I have over 60 group chats in WhatsApp when I was using BlackBerry 10. Now when I switched over to Android I deleted account & added back so most of my groups I didn't want to get in again. It was pretty annoying especially during festival seasons I will get up to 100 of the same greetings pictures each.

08-31-16 09:47 PM
    - WhatsApp on BlackBerry 10 also have a tab that shows you all the group chat that you have.
    Yes I miss this.

I also miss the fact that long time ago on the BlackBerry, we had the choice to choose whether to just download to view or download AND save the media. I don't know why it has to be auto-downloaded and saved to my storage now. I keep getting all sorts of rubbish pictures (usually from group chats) in my storage that I have to review and delete.
    09-01-16 03:27 AM