Iam getting a phone under ₹20000 (350$ approx) for college.

I can find a BlackBerry priv for 21000₹ and an iphone SE for around 17999₹(300$ approx)

the iphone's A9 is faster than snapdragon 810 forget 808.

Iphone has a better camera.

Though both phones have been around for 2 yrs now iphone will get updated more than BlackBerry

The speakers and music listening experiences are better on iphone.

What could be some of the reasons someone would still go for priv except for the large display.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 10:38 AM

I can find a BlackBerry priv for 21000₹ and an iphone SE for around 17999₹(300$ approx)

Though both phones have been around for 2 yrs now iphone will get updated more than BlackBerry

What could be some of the reasons someone would still go for priv except for the large display.

Posted via CB10
    Physical Keyboard and Android as opposed to Apple are the first things I think about. There are a lot of threads describing the Priv. You just have to decide what you want.
    05-13-17 11:18 AM
    The blackberry logo on priv is more exclusive than the apple on the other one ;-)
    05-13-17 11:23 AM
    Not being locked into the walled garden of apple. Easier customization and file sharing. Priv is secured...apple cloud is suspect. Plus Priv has expandable storage and iPhone does not.
    05-13-17 11:54 AM
    Make your own decision. Everyone has different priorities and needs.
    chuckiev79 and Scorpio715 like this.
    05-13-17 11:59 AM
    Assume that this is the last phone I am getting until I finish graduating and move out and earn my own money to study further... which would be a more future proof device... I cant buy anything until atleast 3 years + the time it would take for me to get a job and start earning my own money.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 12:01 PM
    Probably neither then lol.

Sounds like you already have a winner. Why ask us?

Posted via CB10
    HaamKr8s likes this.
    05-13-17 12:03 PM
    Probably neither then lol.

Sounds like you already have a winner. Why ask us?

Posted via CB10
    I don't have a winner... I dont know which will last long
    .. my uncle has a priv and he gets updates every month or something... he says... thats a solid update track record... almost better than nexus phones.

I want to know if BlackBerry will continue that... like they updated a 4 year old Z30 and other bb10 phones to 10.3.3. If BlackBerry can do that to BlackBerry 10 then they can also provide support for priv...

So the point is... does it look like BlackBerry will update priv for as long as iphone se if not longer i.e until 2020-21.

If they do then I can ignore everything apple has to offer because it is a BlackBerry. Just because it is a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 12:06 PM
    Does your carrier allow the monthly updates that the Priv gets?

BB10 is not an appropriate analogy. It got just a few updates over several years.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 12:11 PM
    Does your carrier allow the monthly updates that the Priv gets?

BB10 is not an appropriate analogy. It got just a few updates over several years.

Posted via CB10
    In india there are no carrier based cellphones... everyone has to buy the phones unlocked and then put in your own sim Card.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 12:25 PM
    I confirmed... the updates are called something like security update
    Or patch updates or somwthing... so are they like major updates? These patch updates?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 12:26 PM
    The priv display it's a real pleasure to see... Telephone quality it's on priv side too.
    I think better a refurbished iPhone 6 or 6s as comparison
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    05-13-17 12:33 PM
    I couldn't use the iPhone because of the way it handles attachments for email. You have to have an app that can open the attachment in order to send the file. I often deal with files that I need for the computer that the phone cannot open. I simply transfer it to the computer via Bluetooth or USB. Mine is an unusual situation because I often am in a place where I have cellular service, but no wifi.

The way the iPhone handles attachments is one of the clunkiest, cobbled together methods I have ever seen. Simply horrid. I do use an iPod Touch for my work, but cannot stand it and limit it greatly. I cannot imagine having to use iOS on a daily basis for communication. The entire UI is clunky. It is akin to having your arms in a brace that limits movement. Yes, you can move and do things, but your motion is constrained to a predefined motion that cannot be modified.
    05-13-17 02:25 PM
    Ugh iOS is just awful
    05-13-17 02:38 PM
    Assume that this is the last phone I am getting until I finish graduating and move out and earn my own money to study further... which would be a more future proof device... I cant buy anything until atleast 3 years + the time it would take for me to get a job and start earning my own money.

Posted via CB10
    Compare for yourself. The PRIV screen is better, the battery is bigger and there is something to be said about having the ability to type and scroll on a capacitive touch PKB. IMO the Priv is hands down the better of your two choices.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...nes/9744,10001
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    05-13-17 04:30 PM
    Determine the OS first and foremost. I don't prefer iOS because of how it handles files.

As for updates the Priv is nearing two years old. Not sure how long you will get security updates.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 04:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    For me a Privs camera is much better than the iPhone SEs. 1080p 60fps and optical stabilization is very very good. Photos taken on auto are usually good and if you use manual mode they can get really nice. The iPhone camera might be technically better but with the priv you can take better photos. At least my opinion.

Also music quality is very good on blackberry, probably better than the iPhone and the speaker, has some low volume noises but is very loud. Quality is good to at +half the volume and very loud at full volume.Best speaker that i had on o phone so far.

But if you have doubts i would say go with iPhone. I can only recommend priv for somebody that really wants it. If you want a safe bet go with apple. If you are willing to accept the compromises that Priv has, than it's totally worth it.

I also recommend zuk z2 (z2 plus) which is very good performance wise (much, much, much better than priv ) and very cheap. But only if you know how to flash LineageOS 14.1 ( which is based on the latest android 7.1.2 with updates every week) on it. With stock rom is totally garbage. Also at that price you lose some features, of course. Good luck
    05-13-17 05:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lets see.

You get an industry only physical keyboard AND BlackBerry virtual keyboard. To this day, this is the only phone that provides you with two different keyboards for typing.

The priv's screen trumps the one on iphone, on size, resolution, and contrast, as well as having a productivity edge on the priv's screen. You will be able to see a lot more with the priv's screen under the sun light as well.

The camera should be more or less the same. The Iphone camera is nothing too special. All modern cameras do a decent job.

As for using the phone for a long time. You could definitely keep the phone after BlackBerry stops providing updates. There are plenty of people using old Nexus phones or Samsung Galaxy S3s and S4s even though the updates have stopped long time ago.

Apple will send updates out for a longer period of time to their devices, but it is not always a benefit, since some of the updates have been known to slow down apple devices, for which Apple had been sued for in the past.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    05-13-17 10:10 PM
    For updates i don't think priv will support for more than 2 year again...
    05-14-17 08:27 AM
    Where are you getting it at 20 k in india.
    I brought one last diwali..working fine till now.but still have no idea where to get it repaired if God forbid any problem
    05-14-17 11:33 AM
    Just as a sideline. I am using my Priv as daily phone to asses against PPSE. First I notice heat, then there is a stuttering , seems disconnected, it seems to have a jolting view as opposed to the PP, which is smooth. I read an email and see the battery drop 3 to 5% in the space of a couple of minutes. Reading the 20 or so I get per day is going to make a huge dent in the battery. Going from app to app, just mainly the BB apps to see the flow or lack thereof. 10 minutes reading crackberry forums dropped another 18% of the battery and the phone is now very warm, almost too warm. If you can look past what doesn't feel pleasing to use, get hot, fragmented feel of the UI then you would be better than me. I had hoped this would be passable as a passport replacement, however not being able to get a day out of it is a problem. I wanted this to be better than it is.
    05-16-17 11:31 PM
    I read an email and see the battery drop 3 to 5% in the space of a couple of minutes. Reading the 20 or so I get per day is going to make a huge dent in the battery. Going from app to app, just mainly the BB apps to see the flow or lack thereof. 10 minutes reading crackberry forums dropped another 18% of the battery and the phone is now very warm, almost too warm.
    Most of the Privs work fine if set up properly, but, there are just too many reports like yours to blame it all on the owner. Apparently BB has had way more problem devices than is to be expected.
    I love mine, lasts 2 days most of the time, just barely gets warm, and not to often. But, after reading these threads since the Priv came out almost 2 years ago, I'd have to advise the OP to go with the iPhone. It's nowhere near as good a device, but Apple is good about standing behind their stuff, (though you do have to travel to a really weird place,(genius bar) to get anything done).
    05-17-17 09:09 AM
    Most of the Privs work fine if set up properly, but, there are just too many reports like yours to blame it all on the owner. Apparently BB has had way more problem devices than is to be expected.
    I love mine, lasts 2 days most of the time, just barely gets warm, and not to often. But, after reading these threads since the Priv came out almost 2 years ago, I'd have to advise the OP to go with the iPhone. It's nowhere near as good a device, but Apple is good about standing behind their stuff, (though you do have to travel to a really weird place,(genius bar) to get anything done).
    I hear yah on apple. Don't get me wrong I am persevering with the Priv, as the BB10 story has insisted it. I have looked at a multitude of other androids and the bloatware really puts me off. This with the limited additions seemed like the optimum decision. I am not a gamer, nor do I use social media, I do read forums at CB as it keeps me in the loop with all things BB, and the fixes are helpful, so I am not a heavy user per/Se. It seems like I have a dud device perhaps. It is interesting that a business device would be troubled so much by having screen on and reading, responding to emails, surely is is what it was designed for. I trust the KEYone performs better, not in the first few months specifically, but after 6 or 12 months of solid use. My Galaxy note 3, is still super fast and I get 1.5 days out of it easy.
    05-17-17 09:26 AM
    I actually use both on a daily basis. My work phone is the iPhone SE and personal is there PRIV.

If I was to choose between the two, it would have to be the PRIV. Both devices are solid solid choices though.

These are pros and cons of both devices in a quick summary.

IPhone SE
    Pros:
    -Blistering fast compared to the PRIV
    -Camera is very good and takes pictures quickly. App launches instantly.
    -Front camera is good for selfies.
    -Games open faster and are smoother.
    -Small size is great for one handed use.
    -Battery life is amazing!
    -build quality
    -Apple continued support.

Cons:
    -The screen is tiny.
    -The keyboard is not as good as BlackBerry vkb. Even using swiftkey keyboard on iPhone.
    -the file storage system is the worst ever.
    -Multitasking is not as efficient.
    -Apple email is no where as good as the Hub. (I use Outlook for ios).
    -Speaker phone is not loud enough.
    -Handset phone mic is easily blocked during calls.

PRIV
    Pros:
    -includes vkb and pkb ( even though the pkb isn't really that great)
    -Big and beautiful screen.
    -BlackBerry Suite included. The email, calendar, contacts blows away the iPhone.
    -Solid for phone calls, handset or speaker phone.
    -flexibility to set it up the way you want. (android)
    -Camera takes good photos.
    -BlackBerry security updates.

Cons:
    -build quality is disappointing.
    -Rear camera is incredibly slow to open and slow to take shots.
    -Front camera is so bad it shouldn't even exist.
    -Battery life is just ok for a massive battery.
    -Often requires a cache clearing and reboot to keep the phone going smoothly.
    -Not as good for gaming compared to the iPhone.
    -Difficult to use with one hand. (Much better after installing a Spigen Style Ring though)

In the end, the key reasons are the file storage, BlackBerry vkb and pkb and big screen.

Good luck with you decision. You really can't go wrong with either.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    05-17-17 10:08 AM
    My Priv works flawlessly too, just heats up a bit loading updates, etc but nothing to worry about. Its a gorgeous phone and I use it now as a daily driver. Before, I alternated each week with my Passport and Leap.
    But my Priv is a late build and was updated to Marshmallow straight out of the box, so in use its never known anything else.
    I'd like to recommend it too, but only if you are sure of getting a late build model by which time they seemed to have ironed out a lot of the build quality and heat issues.
    A lot of the pros of the Priv have been mentioned, but remember too that all of the keyboard features promoted for the KEYone (apart from fingerprint sensor) were already on the Priv and it's actually superior to the KEYone for scrolling, flick to type and other such features.
    05-17-17 10:58 AM
33 12