total agree.............theses ppl would still moan no matter what price the phone is
    With this pricing they can never sell 5 million units .

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 01:45 AM
    With this pricing they can never sell 5 million units .

Posted via CB10
    I'm not saying they will or they wont fingers crossed they do but if ppl want the phone they will buy it what I am saying that it don't matter what the price is they would still moan
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-29-15 01:49 AM
    They could, but then that phone would almost certainly be more expensive than similarly equipped competitors. That segment of the market is probably much more price sensitive also. That would be a tough segment to compete in, I would think.
    Yeah tough to say the least!

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 07:56 AM
    I'm not saying they will or they wont fingers crossed they do but if ppl want the phone they will buy it what I am saying that it don't matter what the price is they would still moan
    How would people buy it without knowing this phone even exist or that it would be having future support?! Chen itself told that this is their last strategy, and if it's a fail then no more handsets from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jevinzac; 10-29-15 at 08:52 AM.
    10-29-15 08:15 AM
    Thanks for the good chuckle this morning with the thread title.
    Let me add this to the price complainers. Of all the phones the Priv is being compared to, which one of those phones has a touch capacitive PKB?
    My guess is none. So if Typo can sell a CHEAP PKB that attaches to an iPhone for $99, then the BlackBerry slider PKB is worth $200 and there is nothing that can compete with that for those looking for a PKB.
    I'm saving my cash for release date so I can get a hands on look and a $350 subsidised price point.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 09:39 AM
    Thanks for the good chuckle this morning with the thread title.
    Let me add this to the price complainers. Of all the phones the Priv is being compared to, which one of those phones has a touch capacitive PKB?
    My guess is none. So if Typo can sell a CHEAP PKB that attaches to an iPhone for $99, then the BlackBerry slider PKB is worth $200 and there is nothing that can compete with that for those looking for a PKB.
    I'm saving my cash for release date so I can get a hands on look and a $350 subsidised price point.

Posted via CB10
    And out of all the smartphone owners, who wants a pkb for this price? Certainly not 5 million of them!

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 09:47 AM
    And out of all the smartphone owners, who wants a pkb for this price? Certainly not 5 million of them!

Posted via CB10
    And you base your certainty on exactly what data? I'm not saying I'm certain it will surpass it (although I wish so) because I don't know. And you don't know either.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 09:55 AM
    Now my biggest question is how well will it sell? Chen said at least 5m. How can that be achieved? How do we know if they are on track?

Posted via CB10
    5M units shipped will be easily attainable by the OS alone. Add in those BB10 users who will also pick up the Priv and even those coming from BBOS7 and the number is even more achievable.

The key here is to ship 5M units by the end of 2016, not by the end of Q1/16. Once the reviews come out and this phone is seen on shelves, sales will pick up.

Well, a well equipped device which the Priv is, marketing, and a price that undercuts the competition. Two of which BlackBerry hasn't done with the Priv.

Considering the android space is uncharted territory for BlackBerry, how do they convince users to switch from those already well established players? A PKB? The experience suite will eventually be on other android devices so what is the remaining differentiation factor? And yes I'll be getting one once Rogers releases it, so no I'm not on the boat of hating because I don't want it.

Posted via CB10
    Do you not think that BlackBerry/Chen thought of pricing? Sales trends? Consumer habits? Do you think they just arbitrarily priced it at $700 USD for no other reason than it being a "premium" handset? Do you not think that they know as a matter of fact that most consumers are going to wait for the price to drop before picking one up?

Of course they did the math. They crunched the numbers and definitely have target sales goals at specific pricings along the way. They are only looking to sell X mount at $700 USD before they move into the second phase of selling units at $Y Amount USD with $Y Amount being lower than X mount and constituting the bulk of sales. Then there is the final $Z Amount to come at the end of the year, which will be the cheapest pricing to move the last of the units.

You know, Chen only said he needs to move 5 million units; no mention of a particular price point. He did not say he needs to move 5M units at $700 USD a pop.

Simply not true, price promotions increase awareness and may increase interest. Otherwise stores wouldn't mention they are having a sale in store windows.

The promotions in the window bring in people who might not have come in otherwise, and then that increases their awareness to any products within the store. This is verifiable by the data that comes from traffic counters in stores.

Posted via CB10
    Sure, sales bring new people into stores but that doesn't mean they are going to buy anything let alone look beyond the sale items. I've worked in retail as has nearly all of my friends. Believe me, there is a rather large portion of the population who only visit stores because of sales/coupons. No sale, no coupon, no return visit.

They are getting blasted because they acted like an entitled child, and deserve the blasting they get.

What any of us think about the price or the phone doesn't matter. The damage the third party blogs are doing is already done. It's a BlackBerry business decision and a BlackBerry business problem. If they want to sell the phone to their goal sales targets they need to sort their house out asap.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Who's blasting the price? BGR? The Verge? Also look into the historical pricings of other flagship handsets. The Galaxy S4 launched for like $700 USD in the U.S. back in 2013 and it still has an MSRP of $699 USD (although nearly everyone who still has one in stock is letting them go for $200 USD). The S5, ~$770 USD, and so on. Compare specs between the Priv and the S4, it's easy to see that the Priv is the better, and lower, price.

You are correct, it's BlackBerry's business and not ours and Chen has sorted out the house a while ago.
    10-29-15 10:06 AM
    5M units shipped will be easily attainable by the OS alone. Add in those BB10 users who will also pick up the Priv and even those coming from BBOS7 and the number is even more achievable.

The key here is to ship 5M units by the end of 2016, not by the end of Q1/16. Once the reviews come out and this phone is seen on shelves, sales will pick up.

Do you not think that BlackBerry/Chen thought of pricing? Sales trends? Consumer habits? Do you think they just arbitrarily priced it at $700 USD for no other reason than it being a "premium" handset? Do you not think that they know as a matter of fact that most consumers are going to wait for the price to drop before picking one up?

Of course they did the math. They crunched the numbers and definitely have target sales goals at specific pricings along the way. They are only looking to sell X mount at $700 USD before they move into the second phase of selling units at $Y Amount USD with $Y Amount being lower than X mount and constituting the bulk of sales. Then there is the final $Z Amount to come at the end of the year, which will be the cheapest pricing to move the last of the units.

You know, Chen only said he needs to move 5 million units; no mention of a particular price point. He did not say he needs to move 5M units at $700 USD a pop.

Sure, sales bring new people into stores but that doesn't mean they are going to buy anything let alone look beyond the sale items. I've worked in retail as has nearly all of my friends. Believe me, there is a rather large portion of the population who only visit stores because of sales/coupons. No sale, no coupon, no return visit.

Who's blasting the price? BGR? The Verge? Also look into the historical pricings of other flagship handsets. The Galaxy S4 launched for like $700 USD in the U.S. back in 2013 and it still has an MSRP of $699 USD (although nearly everyone who still has one in stock is letting them go for $200 USD). The S5, ~$770 USD, and so on. Compare specs between the Priv and the S4, it's easy to see that the Priv is the better, and lower, price.

You are correct, it's BlackBerry's business and not ours and Chen has sorted out the house a while ago.
    Welcome to the age of the Internet! There's a certain group of people who think that their own experience is a global truth, and that they are qualified to make enterprise-level, and society-level decisions committing billions (or trillions) of dollars and thousands (or millions) of jobs without looking at any objective data or research, or historical outcomes. Surprisingly, few of these individuals are ever actually hired by the companies they are at willing to "fix."

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 10:50 AM
    How would people buy it without knowing this phone even exist or that it would be having future support?! Chen itself told that this is their last strategy, and if it's a fail then no more handsets from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    well time will tell ..............all I know is that mine will be here around the 6th November cant wait and as for yourself if you don't want to buy it then don't but don't go moaning if blackberry stops making handsets you have your chance now to help and see that don't happen.................so its up to you and every one like you who is moaning that they cant afford it
    10-29-15 11:37 AM
    well time will tell ..............all I know is that mine will be here around the 6th November cant wait and as for yourself if you don't want to buy it then don't but don't go moaning if blackberry stops making handsets you have your chance now to help and see that don't happen.................so its up to you and every one like you who is moaning that they cant afford it
    It's not about affordability, I don't want this phone cuz it's got android, i'm happy with BB10 on my Q10. I just wished it would sell well, and I don't think it will at this price range. If it did sell well, then with that money, BlackBerry might release another BB10 phone, that is my only hope.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jevinzac; 10-29-15 at 08:56 PM.
    10-29-15 08:39 PM
    Who's blasting the price? BGR? The Verge? Also look into the historical pricings of other flagship handsets...

Everyone I've seen, about 8 or 9 articles now including actual real news outlets, have blasted BlackBerry for the price of the Priv. I actually haven't seen a positive article since the price announcement, my question would be if there are any media outlets not blasting the price?

That said, you don't have to justify the price to me, but everyday they ignore the problem and continue their bad marketing methodology, it will continue to cost them potential clients - which is their choice for sure.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    10-29-15 10:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    You don't know that. Obviously all the old school dudes who use to rock those qwerty keyboard smartphones will want one.

Who knows, maybe people to tweet alot or use what's app or whatever will consider picking one up too
    will308 likes this.
    10-29-15 10:55 PM
    Price finding by Blackberry for the PRIV:

Manager1: The PRIV is as good or better as an iPhone and therefore should cost as much
    Manager2: What is an iPhone?
    Manager1: A phone made by Apple.
    Manager2: There are phones in the outside world NOT made by Blackberry? No way!
    Manager3: But when you read the comments from customers it should be priced more competitively.
    Manger2: What is a customer?
    Manager1: Mr. Chen what is your opinion?
    Mr. Chen: What? Ahhh.... you are still talking about that hardware thing, count me out, I give a sh....
    Manager1: So we will set the price at iPhone levels
    All: Great
    Manager1: Now we come to marketing....
    All: Marke.... What? Never heard of it, so let us just skip this topic.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 11:28 PM
    You don't know that. Obviously all the old school dudes who use to rock those qwerty keyboard smartphones will want one.
    BS. The same was said when the Q10 came out, and then the Classic....

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 07:34 AM
    No, not the old school kb dudes. This is for the crazy slider fanatics which there are at least 400 of us out there.

Or anyone who just likes the BlackBerry style.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 07:47 AM
66 123