i can afford the phone, i simply dont want to waste the money on the product of an unreliable company
    If you are not interested at all please don't be here!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 02:53 PM
    I dont think the price is unfair. My wallet wants to click buy now. My brain is asking if this is going to be a paperweight in 6 months. I dont care if the phone will function for up to as many years as I have it. I want to know if they will keep it updated like any other phone I would be willing to spend $700 for right now.
    10-27-15 03:11 PM
    A well written post and also very true.

Posted via CB10
    I second that.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 03:12 PM
    I said "testing the waters" because that is a more accurate definition than "Hail Mary."

In a "Hail Mary" pass you bet everything on a long shot. That's not what BlackBerry has done with the Priv. Instead, they are taking a relatively small calculated risk, targeting a narrow market segment. They are not committing to massive inventory and have transferred a lot of risk (and presumably reward) to their partners,

If the Priv isn't successful, they may exit the hardware business, but BlackBerry, as a company, is not risking everything on this product launch.

We may be saying the same thing, in fact, but I don't consider the hardware division to be a huge risk, at this point, as it's been losing money.
    Posted via CB10
    That's what I meant too, as in its a final resort for hardware. BlackBerry as a company will probably live on even if hardware goes down, but there are disadvantages to that occurring.

Posted via CB10
    okanagan likes this.
    10-27-15 03:20 PM
    Enlight me on how BlackBerry is unreliable, I have 2 Z10s since they came up and a Passport since it came up last year, none of them are giving me and my family a single problem, they are actually quite solid devices. Also in what way the Priv will be unreliable not being out yet or tested. Are you Nostradamus? I'll bet that if Apple make an iPhone 6.5S running Android it would be considered a technological innovation or a metaphysical almost religious achievement for humanity!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789 on T-Mobile w/ WiFi Calling
    Love your Android on iPhone comment. Sadly so true.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 03:23 PM
    It's worth repeating again what I've posted before. The only so-called "flagships" that cost less than this phone (same storage, apples to apples comparison) are the ones now made in mainland China. 1+2, Lenovo's Moto X, Huawei phones, Oppo, etc. The slider is made by the same company that makes the IPhones: Foxconn, which I believe is based in Taiwan.

The chinese made phones did not start coming out to the western markets until this year. And judging from the historical quality record of chinese made goods, more than a few buyers might be in for a surprise in a few months. We'll see.

I have no problem with the price. I'll consider buying it when it gets the latest Android 6.0 and when I am released from my Verizon contract so that I can buy it unlocked in GSM. But, by then there might be a new Android BB device coming up, which I will definitely consider if their privacy/security promise is really fulfilled.

The whining is getting old. Go to the BMW forums and complain about their prices! [see how silly that sounds]
    10-27-15 04:42 PM
    Simply not true, price promotions increase awareness and may increase interest. Otherwise stores wouldn't mention they are having a sale in store windows.

The promotions in the window bring in people who might not have come in otherwise, and then that increases their awareness to any products within the store. This is verifiable by the data that comes from traffic counters in stores.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're you're confusing a sale sign with a pricing promotion for a particular product. They are quite different.

A sale sign in a window is actually NOT a pricing promotion. It's just a teaser to entice people to enter a store to browse. It does not generate interest in any particular product. Most sane people would not enter a store they had no interest in just because there was a sale sign in the window.

Think about newspaper ads. Do you visit every store that has a sale listed in the newspaper, or do you visit stores that you already have an interest in when they have a sale?

For example, I see ads for a local fabric store all the time, and the ads can help make me aware of the store. But since I have no interest in fabric or sewing, the fact that the store has a sale does not increase my interest in the store or sale items at all.

The sale itself IS a pricing promotion for the specific products that are on sale. And it can create urgency for the consumer to make a purchase decision for products that he or she wants. However, the sale does NOT create awareness of, interest in, or desire for the product itself.

If someone doesn't already know about a product, why on earth would he or she respond to a sale for that product? If you see a sign in an auto dealership for a "QRX Rabbit pickup truck on sale for only $29,995...today only!" would you run into the store to test drive it if you had never heard of the vehicle and weren't interested in pick-up trucks? Also, if you don't already know the normal price, why would the promotion be effective? For all you know, you regular price might be LESS than $29,995!

Pricing promotions are tactical mechanisms to create urgency for prospects to make a decision about products or services for which they are already in the market.

Posted via CB10
    gallopiton likes this.
    10-28-15 12:24 AM
    It's worth repeating again what I've posted before. The only so-called "flagships" that cost less than this phone (same storage, apples to apples comparison) are the ones now made in mainland China. 1+2, Lenovo's Moto X, Huawei phones, Oppo, etc. The slider is made by the same company that makes the IPhones: Foxconn, which I believe is based in Taiwan.

The chinese made phones did not start coming out to the western markets until this year. And judging from the historical quality record of chinese made goods, more than a few buyers might be in for a surprise in a few months. We'll see.

I have no problem with the price. I'll consider buying it when it gets the latest Android 6.0 and when I am released from my Verizon contract so that I can buy it unlocked in GSM. But, by then there might be a new Android BB device coming up, which I will definitely consider if their privacy/security promise is really fulfilled.

The whining is getting old. Go to the BMW forums and complain about their prices! [see how silly that sounds]

What, it's not free? Then it must be overpriced!-img_20151028_132157.png

Posted via CB10
    ssilva7 likes this.
    10-28-15 02:53 AM
    I dont think the price is unfair. My wallet wants to click buy now. My brain is asking if this is going to be a paperweight in 6 months. I dont care if the phone will function for up to as many years as I have it. I want to know if they will keep it updated like any other phone I would be willing to spend $700 for right now.
    What a joke.

Please keep waiting forever then. Funny because BlackBerry might come out with a second Priv iteration and people like you would still find excuses to cast doubt regardless. This is the same level of BS that was spouted with the Z10 originally and look at where we are at now.

Why not just leave the boards along with your fellow doubters on here for the iPhone or the insane options already available for Android substitutes? Clearly your mind is made up already.

 вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2474)
    10-28-15 03:12 AM
    What a joke.

Please keep waiting forever then. Funny because BlackBerry might come out with a second Priv iteration and people like you would still find excuses to cast doubt regardless. This is the same level of BS that was spouted with the Z10 originally and look at where we are at now.

Why not just leave the boards along with your fellow doubters on here for the iPhone or the insane options already available for Android substitutes? Clearly your mind is made up already.

How is it a joke? I think it's pretty rational thinking actually. There's no prediction for BB making any more devices after this if it flops. They aren't like any of the other manufacturers who WILL come out with another phone even if the current one tanks ie. LG or HTC. I want this phone to succeed, that's why I'm here and haven't upgraded my nexus 6 to anything else yet.

And look where we are now? You mean with this forum full of blackberry lovers who consistently complain about lagging updates to their phones? Right, because there's no history of my fear at all.
    10-28-15 04:07 AM
    What a joke.

Not for nothing but blackberry essentially abandoned Playbook users, and are doing so to BB10 users, so it's not a out of line to think it could happen again.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but if it were to happen, it wouldn't be a total surprise either.

On a side note, and not directed at you...

People have all sorts of opinions, this is a public forum, telling people to leave because of a difference of opinion is REDICULOUS. If one can't handle dissenting opinion it's on them, not on the person with the opinion.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 07:50 AM
    i can afford the phone, i simply dont want to waste the money on the product of an unreliable company
    In all fairness, you did say unreliable company and not unreliable phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 08:04 AM
    If Crackberry isn't the target audience then who is? If Android users who can also get a great phone for $100 less arent then who is?

Last I checked BlackBerry was struggling to sell BlackBerry 10 phones so that's why they changed to Android.

Are you people who keep saying the phone is priced right going to buy enough Privs to keep the hardware business afloat?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 08:30 AM
    I think you're you're confusing a sale sign with a pricing promotion for a particular product. They are quite different.

A sale sign in a window is actually NOT a pricing promotion. It's just a teaser to entice people to enter a store to browse. It does not generate interest in any particular product. Most sane people would not enter a store they had no interest in just because there was a sale sign in the window.

Think about newspaper ads. Do you visit every store that has a sale listed in the newspaper, or do you visit stores that you already have an interest in when they have a sale?

For example, I see ads for a local fabric store all the time, and the ads can help make me aware of the store. But since I have no interest in fabric or sewing, the fact that the store has a sale does not increase my interest in the store or sale items at all.

The sale itself IS a pricing promotion for the specific products that are on sale. And it can create urgency for the consumer to make a purchase decision for products that he or she wants. However, the sale does NOT create awareness of, interest in, or desire for the product itself.

If someone doesn't already know about a product, why on earth would he or she respond to a sale for that product? If you see a sign in an auto dealership for a "QRX Rabbit pickup truck on sale for only $29,995...today only!" would you run into the store to test drive it if you had never heard of the vehicle and weren't interested in pick-up trucks? Also, if you don't already know the normal price, why would the promotion be effective? For all you know, you regular price might be LESS than $29,995!

Pricing promotions are tactical mechanisms to create urgency for prospects to make a decision about products or services for which they are already in the market.

Posted via CB10
    Black Friday is an example that throws your whole post into disarray, people buy things they aren't in the market for because of a perceived "good" value due to a sale. People go into the stores, and buy things they didn't intend to buy before they had walked in.

A pricing promotion without notifying the customers wouldn't work, they go hand in hand.

Just because YOU wouldn't buy something doesn't mean others, or most wouldn't, that's a common mistake made in arguments.

I stand by my original point. I have analyzed customer traffic for years. Days with pricing promotions cause an increase in traffic... it gets people into stores they might not have gone into otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 08:50 AM
    Black Friday is a great example of what I'm talking about. When stores run Black Friday promotions, there goal is to entice customers to make purchases immediately. The discounts are intended to create urgency so that consumers take ACTION.

Also, Black Friday is shoppers are, by definition, already "in the market" to buy stuff. They are actively shopping, "on an adventure" to get stuff at good prices.

Generally, Black Friday shoppers head out to specific stores with which they are already familiar (AWARENESS) and look for products that they are considering (INTEREST) or already know they want (DESIRE) Sure, they might notice a sale sign and stop in a store they've never heard of to browse for products they have never heard of and don't have an interest in, but that is not the intent of Black Friday price promotions. Stores don't want customers to browse on Black Friday. They want them to make immediate purchases. Otherwise they would just run the promotional prices continually through Christmas!

Think about it this way, if Black Friday was a good time to generate awareness for new products, companies would wait until Black Friday to announce their products! The reason companies announce and launch their fourth quarter products in September, October, and early November is to generate awareness and interest for retailers BEFORE Black Friday. That way, when consumers see a price they find compelling they are ready to pull the trigger.

Apple, Google, Microsoft and BlackBerry are all launching their new phones before Black Friday. That way, pricing promotions can fulfill their purpose, which is to generate immediate sales.

I'm sure you're right that some people out shopping see some products for the first time as a result of pricing promotions. But in most cases it's because of a store display, which is an awareness/intetest tool. A product sitting on a shelf with a marked down price sign and no other promotion is NOT a good marketing campaign. It would just look like a clearance or overstock sale.

Posted via CB10
    gallopiton likes this.
    10-28-15 09:25 AM
    It's funny, when someone can't make a cohesive argument - they post a nuclear statement such as 'What a 1050 dollar phone, in a market where high-end phones are selling at their absolute worst, is too expensive? You must be dumb and expect it for free then'

The price is being hotly contested. This already shows it was a risky decision. It's causing them negative media and a loss in sales. They priced it higher than their marketing could support. They are getting blasted because they acted like an entitled child, and deserve the blasting they get.

What any of us think about the price or the phone doesn't matter. The damage the third party blogs are doing is already done. It's a BlackBerry business decision and a BlackBerry business problem. If they want to sell the phone to their goal sales targets they need to sort their house out asap.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-28-15 10:23 AM
    Yet again, the assumption is that BlackBerry intense to remain in the Device Business. Despite what people have seen: the sale of the divisions that supports the design and manufacturing of Smartphones. And John Chen's statements and actions that focus on the transition to a Security Software company. And his statement of the estimated sales needed to consider staying in device manufacturing,(5 million units).
    If this phone was designed to be the savior of BlackBerry devices, wouldn't it have been produced and marketed to multiple platforms to insure maximum sales potential (both Android and BlackBerry). And wouldn't the price point be placed at a more attractive amount.
    Look how many people say the PKB isn't necessary. That being the case, why wouldn't they opt for the cheaper Samsung Galaxy Edge.
    But "BlackBerry Users" are more so accustom to purchasing PKB's. Yet it's not produced as a BB10 phone which excludes those possible sales. Regardless of the fact that BlackBerry Users have been requesting a Slider on BB10, for years.
    Which leads you to consider, maybe this phone is to showcase BlackBerry software adaptability across other Operating Systems, before transitioning to software manufacturing, completely. And the price aides the process.
    So again: when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains , no matter how improbable, is the truth .
    Or at least makes more sense.

Posted via CB10
    KermEd likes this.
    10-28-15 10:40 AM
    Sometimes I wonder. People get so personal about this stuff. We're talking about phones for Christ's sake.

Doubters...what a joke really. You're missing out so much.

Two in the pink and one in the stink, life is an adventure, explore.

YOLO brahs

Go Priv!

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 11:01 AM
    So I plan to buy the phone. But here is the risk: if too few people buy this phone then Chen will not allocate $ to produce the marshmallow update and beyond. At best, updates will be very, very slow to come as that team will be absolutely stripped. Since this thing has a locked down boot loader, this means my Priv will go into a drawer with all my other orphans. If BB drops out of the hardware business, and stops providing timely updates, then it's foolish to think I have a "secure" phone if I'm not getting updates (which often contain fixes for exploits).

This is why pricing matters. Those of us buying the phone have a vested interest in this device.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-28-15 11:12 AM
    I think BlackBerry should also release more budget phone like leap with android.
    10-28-15 11:24 AM
    I couldn't bring myself to spend $200 more on this phone than a Nexus 6P, which is guaranteed to receive the latest updates first from Google for the next few years.

This phone is in tough against well entrenched players. I can't see the average Joe picking this over a similarly priced iPhone or Samsung product; BlackBerry just doesn't carry the cache those brands command.

It's a valiant effort BlackBerry is making with this phone, but I think we may be witnessing it's last attempt at the handset business.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 11:33 AM
    Can't they repackage the Leap with this OS and give it a new name? That seems like a viable option.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 10:36 PM
    Can't they repackage the Leap with this OS and give it a new name? That seems like a viable option.
    They could, but then that phone would almost certainly be more expensive than similarly equipped competitors. That segment of the market is probably much more price sensitive also. That would be a tough segment to compete in, I would think.
    10-28-15 10:41 PM
    Then begs the question... why are you still around? This forum is dedicated to the said unreliable company.
    well put
    10-29-15 12:28 AM
    Based on what Chen stated that it would be a premium device and priced accordingly, 699.00 is in the ball park.

I you think the device is overpriced and/or have an issue with the reliability of Blackberry then I have a simple solution for you folks "DON'T BUY ONE.

I think these are the same people that if the device was 499.00, they would want one for 249.00, some people just love to ***** even if you where to hang them with a brand new rope!!!!
    total agree.............theses ppl would still moan no matter what price the phone is
    10-29-15 01:27 AM
66 123