It's amusing to see the posters complaining that the Priv is overpriced. I've conducted several pricing studies for new product launches, and one of the things we always see is that people who are not in the target market segments always complain about pricing. However, research shows that these same people won't buy the product even if the price is reduced substantially. The reason is simple. They don't want the product, but very few people will acknowledge that, so they say it's too expensive for them.

The Priv is obviously a premium phone aimed at buyers considering other flagship Android phones, but who would prefer a more work-oriented device.

It's a unique form factor aimed squarely at professional people who have to communicate effectively in writing (with maximum speed and minimum errors). That's the value of the slider PKB. Many of these may be former BlackBerry users who like apps but miss the focus on productivity over entertainment that BlackBerry always delivered.

Blackberry isn't trying to hit a monster home run with this phone. They are testing the waters with a unique device for a relatively narrow market segment that is not satisfied with glass slab "entertainment" platforms that are less productive than their old blackberries. But they still want a rich app ecosystem and would not buy a BB10 phone.

If BlackBerry can sell 10M Priv phones in the first year, they will consider Priv a successful experiment. And they will also be able to sell the BlackBerry Productivity Suite to 1B other Android users.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 10-28-15 at 12:29 AM.
    10-27-15 10:29 AM
    Ha 10M phones! Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha!

Posted via CB10
    NtotheK, JeepBB and anon9347040 like this.
    10-27-15 10:31 AM
    Your example is a bit extreme and unrealistic. People say it is over priced because it is $700 which is more than flagship androids. If it were $50 cheaper people wouldn't be complaining.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 10:32 AM
    It's amusing to see the posters complaining that the Priv is overpriced. I've conducted several pricing studies for new product launches, and one of the things we always see is that people who are not in the target market always complain about pricing. However, research shows that these same people won't buy the product even if the price is reduced substantially. The reason is simple. They don't want the product, but very few people will acknowledge that, so they say it's too expensive for them.

The Priv is obviously a premium phone aimed at buyers considering other flagship Android phones, but who would prefer a more work-oriented device.

It's a unique form factor aimed squarely at professional people who have to communicate effectively in writing (with maximum speed and minimum errors). That's the value of the slider PKB. Many of these may be former BlackBerry users who like apps but miss the focus on productivity over entertainment that BlackBerry always delivered.

Blackberry isn't trying to hit a monster home run with this phone. They are testing the waters with a unique device for a relatively narrow market segment that is not satisfied with glass slab "entertainment" platforms that are less productive than their old blackberries. But they still want a rich app ecosystem and would not buy a BB10 phone.

If BlackBerry can sell 10M Priv phones in the first year, they will consider Priv a successful experiment. And they will also be able to sell the BlackBerry Productivity Suite to 1B other Android users.

Posted via CB10
    A well written post and also very true.

Posted via CB10
    aspurrell likes this.
    10-27-15 10:36 AM
    Well,I've done a lot of research as a consumer looking at all sorts of products and brands and what I have found is that companies always think that their product definitely deserves to sell better than it does.

In other words, "You built a smartphone? I guess I should try it out!"
    FCSC likes this.
    10-27-15 10:40 AM
    i can afford the phone, i simply dont want to waste the money on the product of an unreliable company
    Spinal, NtotheK and World War Z30 like this.
    10-27-15 10:41 AM
    i can afford the phone, i simply dont want to waste the money on the product of an unreliable company
    Then begs the question... why are you still around? This forum is dedicated to the said unreliable company.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 10-27-15 at 11:12 AM.
    10-27-15 10:55 AM
    Enlight me on how BlackBerry is unreliable, I have 2 Z10s since they came up and a Passport since it came up last year, none of them are giving me and my family a single problem, they are actually quite solid devices. Also in what way the Priv will be unreliable not being out yet or tested. Are you Nostradamus? I'll bet that if Apple make an iPhone 6.5S running Android it would be considered a technological innovation or a metaphysical almost religious achievement for humanity!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789 on T-Mobile w/ WiFi Calling
    HKondor and powereds like this.
    10-27-15 10:57 AM
    Why are you hanging out in a BlackBerry forum? Go get a phone from the fruit company and be happy with their support and reliability...

Posted via CB10
    bakron1, powereds, gvs1341 and 1 others like this.
    10-27-15 11:08 AM
    Then begs the question... why are you still around? This forums is dedicated to the said unreliable company.
    Good one! I agree.
    10-27-15 11:08 AM
    We need more posts like this to raise the level in this forum. Nobody cares what people's positions are. We need reasons to think and maybe learn something.

OP you made a great case and may have risen my willingness to pay by 100 bucks.

Now my biggest question is how well will it sell? Chen said at least 5m. How can that be achieved? How do we know if they are on track?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 11:11 AM
    Your example is a bit extreme and unrealistic. People say it is over priced because it is $700 which is more than flagship androids. If it were $50 cheaper people wouldn't be complaining.

Posted via CB10
    Is it really worth complaining THIS MUCH (as seen in these forums) over $50, which is probably what many spend on coffee in a month? IMO, the keyboard, productivity and security enhancements developed by BlackBerry are well worth it! If folks don't value these features, move on!

Passport on AT&T
    powereds and semime like this.
    10-27-15 11:21 AM
    It's actually cheaper than any of the flagship Android's I was considering... and if you max the internal storage on phones that don't have SD card support, the gap widens.
    hellomoto921 likes this.
    10-27-15 11:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    Are you predicting that, at $699 BlackBerry will sell less than 5M units (failure), but at $649, the Private would be a runaway success? That would be a very rare phenomenon in sales. And, if that's true, BlackBerry will figure that out quickly through targeted promotions and adjust the price almost immediately.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 11:38 AM
    You're a perfect example of what I was describing. You're not interested in the device (which is obviously a valid perspective), so price will not be the determining factor for you.

Price is only relevant for people who are otherwise interested in buying a product.

Blackberry is right not to care about people who think the Priv is too expensive at $699. They should only care about people who WANT the Priv but don't want to pay $699. That's what promotions are for, and I'm sure there will be promotions.

Posted via CB10
    gallopiton, will308 and islandp like this.
    10-27-15 11:42 AM
    Well if they want to boost sales... do what LG's doing.

The LG V10 ? Promotions | LG USA

Accessory bundle with the Priv or $100 off during Black Friday?
    10-27-15 11:44 AM
    Based on what Chen stated that it would be a premium device and priced accordingly, 699.00 is in the ball park.

I you think the device is overpriced and/or have an issue with the reliability of Blackberry then I have a simple solution for you folks "DON'T BUY ONE.

I think these are the same people that if the device was 499.00, they would want one for 249.00, some people just love to ***** even if you where to hang them with a brand new rope!!!!
    10-27-15 11:54 AM
    Well if they want to boost sales... do what LG's doing.

The LG V10 ? Promotions | LG USA

Accessory bundle with the Priv or $100 off during Black Friday?
    That's exactly what they should, and likely will, do to drive sales among their more price-sensitive shoppers. But, generally, promotions help people make a final buying decision. They don't really drive interest in a product unless they are drastically aggresive.

A basic marketing model is:
    A-I-D-A

Awareness ==> Interest ==> Desire ==> Action

Price promotions drive action (purchasing). They do not increase awareness, interest or desire.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 11:54 AM
    Enlight me on how BlackBerry is unreliable, I have 2 Z10s since they came up and a Passport since it came up last year, none of them are giving me and my family a single problem, they are actually quite solid devices. Also in what way the Priv will be unreliable not being out yet or tested. Are you Nostradamus? I'll bet that if Apple make an iPhone 6.5S running Android it would be considered a technological innovation or a metaphysical almost religious achievement for humanity!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789 on T-Mobile w/ WiFi Calling
    my q10 double typed and had a loose battery ,my passport screen lifted, but im not even talking about unreliable qc, which they clearly have btw. this is their third os in three years... and they already mentioned closing down the hw bsuiness in 2016 if the priv doesnt sell. how can you pay $700 for a phone that might be eol'd in less than a year? this is just common sense. i love my passport but im so angry that after just a year its eol'd... dont even mention 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 pls. no new features are coming, no new apis are coming, no new sdks are coming, there wont be qt5 either. remember the playbook? remember the storm? im truly interested in the priv and im truly trying to justify the ~900 EUR price, but its really hard. if you read my comments from a few months ago, i was really looking forward to the priv, but i cant justify spending that much money with so much uncertainty regarding blackberry's commitment

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"

edit: oh and the worst part is, likely none of the hungarian carriers will have this device. blindly spending 900 eurs is plain ridiculous
    10-27-15 12:02 PM
    my q10 double typed and had a loose battery ,my passport screen lifted, but im not even talking about unreliable qc, which they clearly have btw. this is their third os in three years... and they already mentioned closing down the hw bsuiness in 2016 if the priv doesnt sell. how can you pay $700 for a phone that might be eol'd in less than a year? this is just common sense. i love my passport but im so angry that after just a year its eol'd... dont even mention 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 pls. no new features are coming, no new apis are coming, no new sdks are coming, there wont be qt5 either. remember the playbook? remember the storm? im truly interested in the priv and im truly trying to justify the ~900 EUR price, but its really hard. if you read my comments from a few months ago, i was really looking forward to the priv, but i cant justify spending that much money with so much uncertainty regarding blackberry's commitment

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"

edit: oh and the worst part is, likely none of the hungarian carriers will have this device. blindly spending 900 eurs is plain ridiculous
    So you buy technology in the hope it will be improved with new features in the future, rather than for what it does today? Good luck with that. I don't make any assumptions that aren't guaranteed. Caveat Emptor!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 12:10 PM
    It's the walmartification of being in a race to the bottom.

Everyone should just make generic looking devices for as cheap as possible apparently.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-27-15 12:11 PM
    So you buy technology in the hope it will be improved with new features in the future, rather than for what it does today? Good luck with that. I don't make any assumptions that aren't guaranteed. Caveat Emptor!

Posted via CB10
    if ppl didnt hope for that noone would have bought the z10 with bb10.0 lol......
    10-27-15 12:15 PM
    It's amusing to see the posters complaining that the Priv is overpriced. I've conducted several pricing studies for new product launches, and one of the things we always see is that people who are not in the target market always complain about pricing. However, research shows that these same people won't buy the product even if the price is reduced substantially. The reason is simple. They don't want the product, but very few people will acknowledge that, so they say it's too expensive for them.

Posted via CB10
    Testing the waters? There is no testing of waters. If the Priv falls flat it's over for BlackBerry's hardware division. This is their hail marry, and they need to sell as many devices as possible ie. 5 Million/year to be considered a success. Let's say BB10 moves 2 million units as a whole, there's still another 3 million Priv's you need to sell. How do you get the device in as many hands as possible? Well, a well equipped device which the Priv is, marketing, and a price that undercuts the competition. Two of which BlackBerry hasn't done with the Priv.

Considering the android space is uncharted territory for BlackBerry, how do they convince users to switch from those already well established players? A PKB? The experience suite will eventually be on other android devices so what is the remaining differentiation factor? And yes I'll be getting one once Rogers releases it, so no I'm not on the boat of hating because I don't want it.

Posted via CB10
    vpblaze likes this.
    10-27-15 12:31 PM
    Testing the waters? There is no testing of waters. If the Priv falls flat it's over for BlackBerry's hardware division. This is their hail marry, and they need to sell as many devices as possible ie. 5 Million/year to be considered a success.
    I said "testing the waters" because that is a more accurate definition than "Hail Mary."

In a "Hail Mary" pass you bet everything on a long shot. That's not what BlackBerry has done with the Priv. Instead, they are taking a relatively small calculated risk, targeting a narrow market segment. They are not committing to massive inventory and have transferred a lot of risk (and presumably reward) to their partners,

If the Priv isn't successful, they may exit the hardware business, but BlackBerry, as a company, is not risking everything on this product launch.

We may be saying the same thing, in fact, but I don't consider the hardware division to be a huge risk, at this point, as it's been losing money.
    Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 12:47 PM
    Price promotions drive action (purchasing). They do not increase awareness, interest or desire.

Posted via CB10

Simply not true, price promotions increase awareness and may increase interest. Otherwise stores wouldn't mention they are having a sale in store windows.

The promotions in the window bring in people who might not have come in otherwise, and then that increases their awareness to any products within the store. This is verifiable by the data that comes from traffic counters in stores.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 02:46 PM
66 123