What if Blackberry's Plan for PRIV is do a soft launch get DIE HARD Fans to find bugs that QA couldn't find and then perform hard launch?

This would make sense as to why they didn't produce alot of phones on first batch. John keeps saying there will be marketing funding for this, but nothing yet. Right now its word of mouth. This would be a smart idea as DIE hard fans will clean up the bugs and then when it markets users would have a more solid phone. Any one would agree?
    Lacuna_a_x and John Doe99 like this.
    11-10-15 07:08 PM
    sounds about right lol
    11-10-15 07:18 PM
    That makes no sense. An official launch weeks later when press has died down doesn't do anything to move more PRIV units. They thought PRIV was like PASSPORT and underestimated demand. It happens.
    11-10-15 07:22 PM
    Well it may make a bit of sense. Get some bugs out of the way for Black Friday and the holiday shopping season.
    I expect the phone will be much better in 3 months after a few updates.
    Then if it goes well, expect a midrange Android out in the spring.

Posted via CB10
    3junior likes this.
    11-10-15 07:50 PM
    Well ****, I better start bug reporting then if that'd be the case.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    3junior and Timothy Friesen like this.
    11-10-15 07:57 PM
    Well Microsoft's doing the same thing with Windows 10. For BB though I think its more inventory control. having said that, this is a proof-of-concept device, it makes more sense to mitigate defects by means of a controlled release. Remember the life-cycle of the PRIV with be a couple of years, there is no need to push them all out of the door in the first month.
    3junior likes this.
    11-10-15 08:01 PM
    What if Blackberry's Plan for PRIV is do a soft launch get DIE HARD Fans to find bugs that QA couldn't find and then perform hard launch?

This would make sense as to why they didn't produce alot of phones on first batch. John keeps saying there will be marketing funding for this, but nothing yet. Right now its word of mouth. This would be a smart idea as DIE hard fans will clean up the bugs and then when it markets users would have a more solid phone. Any one would agree?
    More selling Beta testing devices to customers which always ends badly. Playbook was a good example of a "soft launch (beta)".

BlackBerry cannot afford a soft launch to get bad bad press and/or delay phone sales as the time frame for a new phone isn't that long.
    11-10-15 08:04 PM
    You have not been here very long then! This is typical. You can't blame them because software moves fast.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-10-15 08:06 PM
    Not sure it makes much sense to do customer beta testing with their flagship "last chance device" and supply it to the press. Would be a foolish strategy, unless you truly believe (insert tinfoil hat) that Chen doesn't want to sell phones.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 08:38 PM
    It does make sense prior to big Christmas marketing push. This a very common marketing strategy.
    This is what they are doing.. I actually thought it was kind of obvious.
    Z10 did opposite. Marketed before device was solid OS bugs out..

posted from my Priv!
    3junior likes this.
    11-10-15 08:42 PM
    How do you soft launch a phone that anyone can buy in a carrier store?
    11-10-15 08:43 PM
    I was actually happy with my PlayBook when it came out. The price hurt in the end, but I found it to be a pretty capable device.

I think I'm more disappointed in how many hoops you have to jump through to get the device - both carrier and shopBB. The carriers would want me to renew in a contract that would offer less for more, or pay for unlocking to have a device that isn't the same as a truly unlocked Priv (i.e. no wireless charging). shopBB isn't making it easy getting the device quickly with expected ship dates almost two weeks away.
    11-10-15 08:46 PM
    How do you soft launch a phone that anyone can buy in a carrier store?
    By launching it only on one carrier, or all of them, then only have 2 devices per store?
    11-10-15 09:03 PM
    By launching it only on one carrier, or all of them, then only have 2 devices per store?
    It's one carrier in the US, but out in Canada as well and the UK. Right?
    11-10-15 09:09 PM
    The reviews in the major media like the Wall Street Journal, etc. have been published. There will never be more free advertising for the Priv than there is right now. Do you expect them to review it again?
    11-10-15 09:18 PM
    I'll sit out this beta test lol.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl likes this.
    11-10-15 09:18 PM
    I'll sit out this beta test lol.

Posted via CB10
    I'll keep you company. I don't beta test for free. Surely not for a grand or better out of my pocket.

You bug testers get that android mess whipped into ship shape so Chen can (cough cough) market the he'll! out of it. maybe some full colour shower scenes
    11-10-15 09:28 PM
    only fans know about this phone at the moment until fully marketing push
    11-10-15 09:31 PM