Having had my Passport for nearly 3 years (great phone) but having to move on due to the increasing issues around business Apps I decided to go for the Priv. But I was worried - expecting a laggy, overheating, creaky phone with terrible battery life. I have found something so different and at a great price. I don't use FB and turned off many Google tracking stuff.. Two day battery life, smooth and only got warm when playing a game. All that bad press must have put off so many potential buyers....
    11-06-17 12:26 PM
    Unless you're really that light of a user and have nothing on the phone... I don't know what two day battery life you are talking about.

My SOT is down to like 3 hours max, and battery flat by noon daily.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-06-17 12:30 PM
    Having had my Passport for nearly 3 years (great phone) but having to move on due to the increasing issues around business Apps I decided to go for the Priv. But I was worried - expecting a laggy, overheating, creaky phone with terrible battery life. I have found something so different and at a great price. I don't use FB and turned off many Google tracking stuff.. Two day battery life, smooth and only got warm when playing a game. All that bad press must have put off so many potential buyers....
    I had excellent experience with the Priv, like it so much that bought many. Not the same experience as with the Keyone.

I am a user that has little apps but lots of mails and calls and the Priv reaches easily the complete day of use.

Brightness at half.

What I adore of my Priv devices are how they keep Wi-Fi and 4G signals when Passport and keyone fail.

Bad press came from early Priv Units and lollipop.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-06-17 12:51 PM
    And buggy BlackBerry apps and services. Those have improved a lot since then, although they still have issues and performance problems.

Priv had really bad luck. A processor with issues, not mature apps, fairly complicated design that had some flaws at first and wrong price tag...
    But now is not that bad if you are a light/medium user.
    It's a pity that it won't get Nougat as it improved a lot my now defunct Xperia z5 and could give a second life to this device.
    11-06-17 01:15 PM
    Unless you're really that light of a user and have nothing on the phone... I don't know what two day battery life you are talking about.

My SOT is down to like 3 hours max, and battery flat by noon daily.
    He must be that light a user.
    I seldom use mine for phone calls, use FB sparingly through the browser, but I have work and personal emails in the hub as well as the adaptive brightness - and I often have 50% or more battery when going to bed (10 - 11pm).
    Qorax likes this.
    11-06-17 03:21 PM
    The PRIV was an adequate experience for me. Outside of the few issues I have encountered, it was great for what it offered. I couldn't imagine paying the original price for it though. For 250 to 300, it's still a good deal for what you get.
    Qorax and skinnymike1 like this.
    11-06-17 03:58 PM
    It is not just the bad press, it was a reality. It never came came with UFS 2.0. It is just my love for Blackberry that keeps me on with it. I agree with your signal reception capabilities of this phone.

Sent from my STV100-3 using CB Forums mobile app
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-06-17 06:09 PM
    Just following up on comments. I wouldn't say I'm a heavy user - but using just the same as the Passport when I got 2 day battery regularly too, and I wasn't expecting the Priv to be that good. I run screen on about 60% and as I said don't use FB. Build quality has obviously improved since the first release as I don't have any of the reported hollow clicking in the back. The overall feel of the Priv is one of quality - at least in my time with it so far. Wanted to share my experience as the Priv is much much better than I was expecting!
    skinnymike1 and andy957 like this.
    11-07-17 01:52 AM
    I wonder at what point the stopped production, and if there really was any changes in the design.

The CDMA phone didn't come until March or April, but it wasn't long after that, the discounted AT&T and then T-Mobile phones began to show up..... one would assume they would have ended production before that. So maybe the last GSM run was in Feb 2016?
    11-07-17 08:10 AM
    I wonder at what point the stopped production, and if there really was any changes in the design.

The CDMA phone didn't come until March or April, but it wasn't long after that, the discounted AT&T and then T-Mobile phones began to show up..... one would assume they would have ended production before that. So maybe the last GSM run was in Feb 2016?
    My STV100-3 says March 2017, but I don't now... it may be the packaging date... not really sure about how accurate is the date on the box label.

I agree with the OP. I bought it just for the nostalgia of being the last "in-house" manufactured BlackBerry, and I was ready to accept the shortcomings all the youtube reviewers where reporting over the past 2 years. So far, the only one I honestly experienced at some point is the heating. And even that is not that bad as some of them says. In fact, my Passport SE gets so much hot in the top right corner when running some android apps (especially Google Maps).

I'm not a super heavy user, but so far I never found myself charging in the middle of the day. I came back home at the end of the day with 40%+ of battery left (with 3 and a half hours of screen on time usage).
    I don't use Facebook apps, so that might help with the battery performance.

The reception is better than the Passport, inside my house I have 30% better signal all day long.

Anyway, for the price I payed in 2017, the Priv is a really good deal!
    Last edited by G_Unit MVP; 11-07-17 at 09:47 AM.
    skinnymike1 and Qorax like this.
    11-07-17 09:35 AM
    Just following up on comments. I wouldn't say I'm a heavy user - but using just the same as the Passport when I got 2 day battery regularly too, and I wasn't expecting the Priv to be that good. I run screen on about 60% and as I said don't use FB. Build quality has obviously improved since the first release as I don't have any of the reported hollow clicking in the back. The overall feel of the Priv is one of quality - at least in my time with it so far. Wanted to share my experience as the Priv is much much better than I was expecting!
    Did the same as you. Switch off all background (google) running stuff. Don't do Facebook either. No animations etc and also can do 2 days now. Till I dropped it into the bath Sunday, different issue though:-)

Posted via CB10
    11-07-17 09:36 AM
    Yeah my experience has been great as well. I can hardly believe some of the experiences reported on the forums, I guess it's all down to what each person has loaded, and what settings they have enabled, and how much they have (or let) the device do all day :-) I've had an STV100-4 since Vodafone launched it in this country, some people whinge about wireless charging, it's not fashionable here, I don't want it anyway it's slow and I don't like charging things overnight (one of our offices had a major fire a few years back due to a device/charger combination going faulty while it was on charge overnight). So yeah, if your experience has been good just enjoy.
    11-07-17 09:59 AM
    My STV100-3 says March 2017, but I don't now... it may be the packaging date... not really sure about how accurate is the date on the box label.

I agree with the OP. I bought it just for the nostalgia of being the last "in-house" manufactured BlackBerry, and I was ready to accept the shortcomings all the youtube reviewers where reporting over the past 2 years. So far, the only one I honestly experienced at some point is the heating. And even that is not that bad as some of them says. In fact, my Passport SE gets so much hot in the top right corner when running some android apps (especially Google Maps).

I'm not a super heavy user, but so far I never found myself charging in the middle of the day. I came back home at the end of the day with 40%+ of battery left (with 3 and a half hours of screen on time usage).
    I don't use Facebook apps, so that might help with the battery performance.

The reception is better than the Passport, inside my house I have 30% better signal all day long.

Anyway, for the price I payed in 2017, the Priv is a really good deal!
    Yeah that's just a boxing date..... PRIV production had ended long before that point. The "issue" would be what the contracted to buy and when they meet that minimum production amount. By mid 20016 the PRIV was selling below what it cost BlackBerry to make them... thus the two or three $100 Million hardware write-off during that period. Sadly Verizon never discounted their PRIVs to match what you could get a GMS for back then.
    11-07-17 10:09 AM
    I had a Priv and liked it and was a beast i put on a wet screen protector and got some solution under the screen and went dark put it in rice for 2 days and came back to life with no issues and sold it for a Note 5 got bored then got a LG V20 great phone still have got bored and got a Black Keyone and loving it for the last 2 weeks.

My Priv never had any issues except got warm a few times but who cares I cracked the screen and sent it in for warranty and they sent me a new Unlocked Priv how sweet was that
    11-07-17 10:42 AM
    I had excellent experience with the Priv, like it so much that bought many. Not the same experience as with the Keyone.

I am a user that has little apps but lots of mails and calls and the Priv reaches easily the complete day of use.

Brightness at half.

What I adore of my Priv devices are how they keep Wi-Fi and 4G signals when Passport and keyone fail.

Your comment is very interesting, as I'm looking to buy Blackberry Priv. You and the poster seem to have great experience with your privs, unlike many out there. Maybe the difference lies in how you got the phones. I mean: Did you buy the privs as new devices? Or had they been used when you bought them? Maybe the new Privs still work great, while the used already have some issues.
    Should I still buy the Priv? If yes, the used? Or new?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-17 11:32 AM
    What a wonderful experience you've had with the Priv! Was the Priv a new device when you bought it? Or had it been used before?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-17 11:41 AM
    Your comment is very interesting, as I'm looking to buy Blackberry Priv. You and the poster seem to have great experience with your privs, unlike many out there. Maybe the difference lies in how you got the phones. I mean: Did you buy the privs as new devices? Or had they been used when you bought them? Maybe the new Privs still work great, while the used already have some issues.
    Should I still buy the Priv? If yes, the used? Or new?

Posted via CB10
    At today prices, I would go for a new one... no doubt.
    11-07-17 01:25 PM
    I have two Privs--one for myself and one for my wife--and they've been fine. Granted, we are both light users, but I thought she'd complain after the long battery life of her Q5, but no issues at all. Only serious overheating is with Waze or Google Maps; we both wirelessly charge and they get pretty warm, but not dramatically more than with direct plug-in charging. Both were new from a high-volume seller on eBay; personally, I'd be reluctant to buy a used one given the many people who reported problems with their Privs.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-07-17 02:26 PM
    100% in agreement with you laughing_mole
    11-07-17 03:50 PM
    I got unlocked new PRIV last April and just love it, no lagging no battery issues, go to bed with about 40% battery remaining. Blown away with the screen definition and clarity, not looking to replace until this one dies and hope to get at least two years out of this phone
    11-07-17 09:10 PM
    I've had my KEYᵒⁿᵉ since launch, and before that my passport. I tried out the PRIV around launched ad loved it. But I didn't like android. Now that I've been forced to abandon bb10 and use android phone. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ has really made me miss the large clear screen of the PRIV and sliding keyboard that got so much attention in meetings. I'm really considering buying a priv again.
    11-07-17 10:03 PM
    Super Light user I can only assume. With super heavy use I would get about 8 hours out of my Priv. I was good with that though.

OP....the Priv is still a great device. Shame it won't see an OS update
    11-07-17 10:06 PM
    I had a Priv and liked it and was a beast i put on a wet screen protector and got some solution under the screen and went dark put it in rice for 2 days and came back to life with no issues and sold it for a Note 5 got bored then got a LG V20 great phone still have got bored and got a Black Keyone and loving it for the last 2 weeks.

My Priv never had any issues except got warm a few times but who cares I cracked the screen and sent it in for warranty and they sent me a new Unlocked Priv how sweet was that
    My eyes! @@
    Punctuation would be very welcomed!
    p1800nut likes this.
    11-07-17 10:10 PM
    My eyes! @@
    Punctuation would be very welcomed!
    Another teacher on the prowl all for not putting a Period I did not know I was back in school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
    11-08-17 09:00 AM
    I have two Privs--one for myself and one for my wife--and they've been fine. Granted, we are both light users, but I thought she'd complain after the long battery life of her Q5, but no issues at all. Only serious overheating is with Waze or Google Maps; we both wirelessly charge and they get pretty warm, but not dramatically more than with direct plug-in charging. Both were new from a high-volume seller on eBay; personally, I'd be reluctant to buy a used one given the many people who reported problems with their Privs.
    Good to hear that ! I'll definitely go for the new.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-17 12:24 AM
47 12