I have a hosted Exchange account that handles all my Email, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes, which syncs using ActiveSync.

I'm on VZW with my PRIV.

If I leave Backup & Reset > Automatic Restore set to the default of being on, which says it restores backed up settings and data, is there any way I can tell it before a restore not to restore the Exchange data?

I suppose it's fine to leave it on and let it restore that data. I just have so much riding on the integrity of that synced data (it's also in Outlook clients on multiple desktops) that I prefer not to take unnecessary risks, so when I restore to a phone I omit that part and just recreate the account manually and let it sync the data down from the server.

The downside of turning this feature off is also a question. What are the advantages of leaving it on, versus the downsides of turning it off?

For all my apps that sync data, such as Evernote, Exchange, Box, Skype, etc, it's fine with me if they sync fresh data down from the server after I manually recreate the accounts. But that's extra work since even settings will have to be redone.

Will leaving this on make sure I get the texts in VZW Message+ and any other data?

Any help with weighing the pros and cons of leaving this feature on will be greatly appreciated.

I suspect it's best to leave it on, all things considered, to give me back a mirror image of what I had during the past backup in order to save me time -- and that it "should" be fine in terms of the integrity of all synced data.

Thanks!
    06-07-16 01:45 PM
    06-07-16 02:30 PM
    Great!

So, it looks like the Exchange data isn't backed up anyway, since "I think" it was created in the Hub.

Sound right?

BTW, any way to force a backup before, say, doing a system update or replacing the device?

Thanks!
    06-07-16 02:36 PM
    Yeah no data will be transferred, even your account settings wont be backed up . you just enter it on your mail info on a new device and everything pulls down from the cloud.

As for forcing a backup its not needed, as things change or apps are installed those backups happen as required then and not triggered again as nothing has changed to back up anything. Apps have to support it so they trigger the need to backup files from what I understand
    06-07-16 02:58 PM