In the instructions shown in this link:
    https://help.blackberry.com/en/priv/...901775432.html

The lead paragraph states that "your data is backed up automatically." What is included in "your data"?

I think that includes photos, but are Contacts and Calendar included? What about text messages?

Does it depend on which app I am using?

I use the BlackBerry Calendar app, and I do NOT use Outlook. The only location for my calendar and contacts is on my phone.

I liked the BB10 option of backing up to my desktop, but it looks like using Google's cloud service is about my only option. If I use that, I want to make sure everything is backed up.

I am also wondering if using the BlackBerry Content Transfer App, setting it to and SD card, and then copying that data to my desktop might be best.
    11-21-17 11:33 AM
    I think that includes photos
    I don't think the setting mentioned in your link actually controls photo backup.
    You can check if they are being backed up:
    Check if your photos are backed up

On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Photos app .
    Sign in to your Google Account.
    Tap Photos .
    At the top, you'll see if your photos are backed up, or if it's still waiting to back up.
    https://support.google.com/photos/an...DAndroid&hl=en
    Also double check that they are being backed up at full resolution. Google Photos does have an option to lower the resolution before backup, which seems like a very short sighted thing to do.
    11-21-17 12:52 PM
    I think that includes photos, but are Contacts and Calendar included? What about text messages?

Does it depend on which app I am using?
    Yes it depends on what app you're using. Many apps do not actually support Google's auto backup. Even if they do, they may only backup a subset of data. For example, a calendar app could choose to backup settings (e.g. whether to default to month view or weekly view), but actually not choose to backup the actual calendar events.
    I don't know what (if anything) BlackBerry Calendar actually chooses to backup. It is possible that they assume everyone is going to be syncing with an online calendar anyways (and therefore not bother to back it up).
    You should probably switch to an online calendar (e.g. Google Calendar). I know some people don't like to sync their data with Google, but if you are talking about Google/Android backup anyways, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm fairly sure Android backup does backup contacts. Still, I highly recommend syncing them with an online account.

Personally I would assume NOTHING is being backed (possible exception is photos if you double check that they are actually uploading). Google's backup solution is terrible. Even if the information you want is backed up (doubtful), there are many problems. For instance, the backup will be automatically deleted after some amount of time if the device isn't turned on. This mean if your phone breaks, and you don't replace it for a while (maybe you switch back to your BlackBerry 10 device temporarily while you wait to be able to get a new Android), when you do replace it, you may discovered the "backup" has already been deleted!
    11-21-17 01:07 PM
    Thank you for the replies. I wish I were a developer . . . two GAPING holes in available apps for users coming from BlackBerry 10:
    - desktop backup software
    - bedside mode

Neither of those should be that hard to do. I don't get it.
    11-21-17 01:47 PM
    Thank you for the replies. I wish I were a developer . . . two GAPING holes in available apps for users coming from BlackBerry 10:
    - desktop backup software
    - bedside mode

Neither of those should be that hard to do. I don't get it.
    There are no Android versions available?
    11-21-17 01:51 PM
    There are no Android versions available?
    Not that I have been able to find. If you know of any, please share. For backup, I'd like to be able to plug in my phone via USB and back everything (or select things).

For bedside mode, for the life of me, I can't figure out why tapping "screen saver" in the stock clock app doesn't have the option to move the phone into "do not disturb" mode.

I know everybody wants me to use Google. But, apart from the fact that I don't really care to have my personal data on a cloud service, when I would prefer to back it up on my desktop, I can only get the Google backups when I am on WiFi. I appreciate all of you that live and work where high speed internet and associated WiFi are as common as water, but I live out in a rural area. So, backing up everything via WiFi at my house takes longer than the length of time I am asleep with my phone charging.
    11-21-17 02:03 PM
    Unless something has changed in the last year, Google does not back up texts. Contacts, only if you set the phone up to do so, or click the Google thing every time you add one.
    Calenders depends on which calender app.
    I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tactspro&hl=en
    I don't know if it's the best, but it works for contacts and texts. Which is about all I'm concerned with, I don't much rely on the calender, and most everything else is on the SD where I can do what I want.

There is no desktop software because of all the apps, they each do things slightly differently, using slightly different rules and memory tags. So even if you wrote software for only the most popular 20 apps in each category, you would have a massive program. And of course they all get updated and changed differently and at different times. No way to keep up with all that. The only way desktop software would work is with a tiny, highly controlled set of apps.
    11-22-17 06:28 AM
    Unless something has changed in the last year, Google does not back up texts. Contacts, only if you set the phone up to do so, or click the Google thing every time you add one.
    Calenders depends on which calender app.
    I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tactspro&hl=en
    I don't know if it's the best, but it works for contacts and texts. Which is about all I'm concerned with, I don't much rely on the calender, and most everything else is on the SD where I can do what I want.

There is no desktop software because of all the apps, they each do things slightly differently, using slightly different rules and memory tags. So even if you wrote software for only the most popular 20 apps in each category, you would have a massive program. And of course they all get updated and changed differently and at different times. No way to keep up with all that. The only way desktop software would work is with a tiny, highly controlled set of apps.
    Thanks. It looks like it will back up the calendar, though, so maybe I will give that a shot. I don't mind if it doesn't back up the apps like the old Desktop manager. I understand the limitation there. (Although, if rooted, it will?)

I appreciate it.
    11-22-17 04:44 PM
    Thanks. It looks like it will back up the calendar, though, so maybe I will give that a shot. I don't mind if it doesn't back up the apps like the old Desktop manager. I understand the limitation there. (Although, if rooted, it will?)

I appreciate it.
    I've not verified calander. Texts and contacts work well. Google Play store actually backs up your apps, and for many apps, even the settings.
    The Super Back Up default is to back everything up to the phones internal memory, kinda useless, I assume because so many phones have no SD support. It does make that rather plain, with the option to back up to SD, just don't ignore that part of set up.
    11-22-17 06:58 PM