That's the point, decent is all. Nothing better then what's already out there.. So why get it other then pkb... I have for so long heard here when classic and passport rumours came out how the pkb is dead and pointless.. What changed now with priv. Don't get me wrong, primary reason I'm with bob is pkb but I accept I'm a minority.
    I understand your point, but consumers are not so easy to pin down. There are only a few android phones that can match these specs, and I would say that the priv would be the only one that actually stands out as different.

I think BlackBerry still has a good reputation for build quality and that may resonate with former users. I think many people are sick of Samsung and their bloat ware. Either way though, I agree with you that perceived security and privacy won't sell the phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:21 PM
    My passport with Cobalt's modified playstore has all the Google for Work apps I need including Drive, Doc, Sheets, Keep and Hangouts. I can get almost any android apps working using GMAP Patcher. Android apps are not the appeal for me. The only appeal of a Android OS would be if it fixed the remote email search function that allowed a search of the "All Mail" folder. I don't use the remote search of Google for Work often, but when I do, it is usually important. Blackberry has been rumored in these CB forums that they are planning on fixing the google imap search function to include "All Mail" in an upcoming release of BB10.
    10-14-15 08:00 AM
    My passport with Cobalt's modified playstore has all the Google for Work apps I need including Drive, Doc, Sheets, Keep and Hangouts. I can get almost any android apps working using GMAP Patcher. Android apps are not the appeal for me. The only appeal of a Android OS would be if it fixed the remote email search function that allowed a search of the "All Mail" folder. I don't use the remote search of Google for Work often, but when I do, it is usually important. Blackberry has been rumored in these CB forums that they are planning on fixing the google imap search function to include "All Mail" in an upcoming release of BB10.
    Can I just ask, how have you got hangouts working on the passport? I've tried a sorts and can't get it working
    10-20-15 11:17 AM
    Here is the USA, apps are how folks get things done, everything from banking, social media and even custom apps dominate the market here.

I see more commercials and advertising about using apps for ordering pizza, paying bills, buying cars and the list goes on and on. This is 2015 and not 2006 and that's just the way it is whether you choose to accept it or not.
    Apps are old school. Web sites optimized for mobile, regardless of platform, are where it's at.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 01:20 PM
    Honestly other than the Google ecosystem, nothing.

Blackberry had the best os by a long shot as far as mobile productivity goes.

You know that slogan serious mobility for serious business? It's 100% accurate.

Coming from someone who owns a G3 and OPO as well. And used to own a Moto X and G.

Unfortunately a lot of productivity is also dependent on the user and some do need certain apps.

The way blackberry handles messaging is just so much better.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Jrox74 likes this.
    10-20-15 06:50 PM
    Other than the apps, I personally see no benefits. Everything is cool with Android until you start getting all types of messages. When you start replying to them, it feels so cumbersome compared to BB10. It evens feels that way after having an Android phone for months. I've gone from a Z10 to an LG G2, back to the Z10 after 3 months. Thought I'd try it again once the G3 came out. The G3 didn't last for 2 months before going back to the Z10.

I got sucked in by the whatever-core processors, good cameras, and endless apps. That crap wears off quickly though once you're fumbling within the OS trying to figure out what to do next. I'm getting Priv when it comes out, but only because it has the HUB. Please, please, don't let the HUB be butchered so much that i'm like "what the hell is this?" when I receive my Priv.
    10-20-15 07:43 PM
    [QUOTE=Tre Lawrence;11975693
    If Google does actually "steal" data (how?) and has an app market with 99% apps designed to steal more, what does that say about BlackBerry and its willingness to incorporate this into its next offering?
    else.[/QUOTE]

This is how Google steals data: Lets say a computer user named Lucy uses the Internet. She has never used Google search, YouTube, Gmail or any other Google service - She has never accepted a privacy policy by Google. Google has been very successful at getting their tracking code on the far majority of websites on the internet (like this one). Facebook and other are also very successful at this. So when Lucy views pages on crackberry.com or the majority of other pages on the internet Google will record Lucys pageview and associate it with her IP address. Lucy has not given Google permission to record data about her. This is why i'm saying they steal data. These companies also do this in countries where tracking is illegal without con and claim they don't have to follow the laws of the countries they operate in, only the countries they are registered in (and control the government through big tax $ and surveillance capabilities).

just exactly how are all those apps designed to erode your privacy? FYI you can have android without google services (see amazon fire series) so blackberry could build its own secure version of Android.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk
    Have you ever installed an App on a mobile device? I think this is quite obvious. Why does an app developer need your location and contacts to use a flashlight app?

BB has already designed its own secure version of Android with BB10 devices. These devices already run an open source version of Android, and if you have the IPK file you can install any Android App. But the majority of apps are only available through the Google Play store (Proprietary software). Google of course controls all of their propriety software and in order to have access to all Android Apps you must play by Googles rules and run their proprietary software.
    10-28-15 05:58 PM
    Things that I can think of that Android offers that I like (other than apps):
    Android Pay (NFC payments)
    Android Auto
    Ease of switching between devices (sign in and your apps start downloading automatically)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-28-15 08:48 PM
    It's certainly not the pkb. It's for people who value apps more than the OS function.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 04:17 PM
    Nothing for me. BB10 is a much better operating system.
    It's just the lack of apps.

11-16-15 05:05 PM
    Nothing other than the apps. I find it clunky, and it really bothers me how so many installed apps just run into the background with no manageable ways to prevent them from doing so If blackberry had some sort of JV with Google to keep play services somewhat up to date for BB10, I wouldn't be typing this response from a priv. I still dream about that actually happening but chances are slim to none at this point.

11-16-15 05:12 PM
    it's easy, nowadays you need some specific apps to work too, without those, your productivity gets reduced,
    so, that's why apps are so important, not just only to play stupid games
    01-17-16 11:58 PM
    If you wish Android, at least buy a decent one.
    Priv isn't. Battery, built quality, BlackBerry apps integration are good reasons you should not buy one.
    Do not fall for the thought of still having the HUB - Is useless.
    Sliding the keyboard will not wake up the device. List can go on..

I needed a few apps for banking so I bought the Priv but will return it before my 14 days.

PS: i now know why the alarm app on BB10 was so nice: it's been copied from Android.

01-18-16 11:00 AM
    If you wish Android, at least buy a decent one.
    Priv isn't. Battery, built quality, BlackBerry apps integration are good reasons you should not buy one.
    Do not fall for the thought of still having the HUB - Is useless.
    Sliding the keyboard will not wake up the device. List can go on..

I needed a few apps for banking so I bought the Priv but will return it before my 14 days.

PS: i now know why the alarm app on BB10 was so nice: it's been copied from Android.

Sorry you don't like your experience with the Priv. I'm completely loving mine and I was using the Passports for a year. My battery life is just as good as my Passport.

BBM Channel: C0001F285
    01-18-16 11:05 AM
    Bb10 can also run emulators such as nes and playstation, with that being said though your point is still right, Android is by far way more accommodating than bb10 even if bb10 had another 2-3 years to catch up.

Posted via CB10
    some of those emulators requires Google play services.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-16 03:08 PM
    Probably too late for poster Chris Pryd, but I usually do slide my Priv open to wake it up. Never had it not work this way. I know there is a setting to answer a call by sliding up but not down to end a call.

I got my Priv on launch. Still feeling the learning curve from Torch and q10. And IMO there are too many apps to chose from to try and get phone to do some tasks that I took for granted with BlackBerry devices.

I don't always have time for trial and error aka installing testing and uninstalling apps that don't work for me... some say ts igreat to have all those choices but I find it a bit daunting sometimes.

That said, I really like the pkb and many aspects of the Priv
    :-)

Good luck to all

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    01-22-16 06:11 PM
    Everytime i am switching my passport or leap on, i think, what a pity...such an excellent OS, intutive, stable and pretty cool...but everytime i switch my priv on, i think how cool it is that everything works out of the box- all apps i want and "need" just work...so the app gap on OS10 is still the main reason to make the turn over to BlackDroid

Posted via the CrackBerry App for AndrOS 10
    stuck_788 likes this.
    01-23-16 01:40 AM
367 ... 131415