Serious question to people waiting to purchase the PRIV. What is the appeal of the Android OS? This is not directed towards current Android users waiting for a PKB. In fact, I believe that BlackBerry is releasing this phone to appeal to users that are already set on Android, but want a PKB and BlackBerry hardware.

But for the CURRENT BlackBerry users waiting for the PRIV. What is the appeal of this phone? Taking apps out the equation, what can Android do that is so appealing? Again, take apps out the equation. I understand that part, I want to see if there are other things that Android does that BB10 cannot. I have never used an Android phone, so I'm curious.

BlackBerry Passport / OS 10.3.2.2639 / SQW100-3 / BBM 2C05E109
    10-03-15 12:19 PM
    Apps is a big part of the equation. You can't arbitrarily remove them.

Beyond that you have an entire entertainment ecosystem (music, movies, books, etc) that can be accessed from multiple devices

Then there's the 3rd party peripheral support - watches, cars, speakers, baby monitors, meat thermometers� The list goes on.

Etc, etc, etc.
    10-03-15 12:34 PM
    It has some apps that would make my life easier. And brings stability to Android apps that BB10 couldn't.

That said if I go Android, it wouldn't be with the 'priv'

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    10-03-15 12:36 PM
    Customizations (even more if rooted).
    10-03-15 12:50 PM
    That said if I go Android, it wouldn't be with the 'priv'

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Curious as to why you wouldn't go with the Priv?

My Z30 contract is up for renewal in a few months. I was thinking about a Silver Passport but now I'm thinking Priv. I used to have a Torch, and a closed Priv is close in size to the Z30. Passports are also getting on in age, especially compared to the rumoured specs of the Priv.

If I switch to the Priv, it would be mainly for the Android Apps as 2/3 of what I do on my Z30 is via Android, and I'm increasingly being frustrated by the need to have Google Services and the lag when starting an Android app. That said, I would miss Browsie Browser and a few other BB10-only apps.

I just hope that Hub, Peak, Flow work on the Priv. Even if only the Hub makes it to the Priv, no BB10 features are available on other Android handsets.

For me Hub + apps + good hardware specs are what are drawing me to the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 01:07 PM
    This, exactly. BB10 can't even rearrange icons on the screen as well as android. Different launchers, widgets, crazy amounts of stuff that is unthinkable on BB10.
    10-03-15 01:09 PM
    Not only apps, Android apeal is also more costomizable than any other OS. If you're an anti-apple fanboy it would apeal for you that you can have a top end phone and don't give money to the white fruit company
    10-03-15 01:17 PM
    Android is the platform of choice of "techies". There are more cyanogenmod users out there than BB10 users. Don't like something for the OS, there is a high chance you can change/remove it. Android can be whatever you need it to be.
    10-03-15 03:03 PM
    Android is the platform of choice of "techies". There are more cyanogenmod users out there than BB10 users. Don't like something for the OS, there is a high chance you can change/remove it. Android can be whatever you need it to be.
    I need it to run BB10. BB10 runs Android apps, Android doesn't run BB10 apps. If a BB10 Priv was announced I'd jump all over it, although I'm not completely dismissing the Android Priv. Those specs are sexy.
    10-03-15 03:36 PM
    I need it to run BB10. BB10 runs Android apps, Android doesn't run BB10 apps. If a BB10 Priv was announced I'd jump all over it, although I'm not completely dismissing the Android Priv. Those specs are sexy.
    Android can run emulators (like a NES emulator for old NES games). The android runtime is opensource while the BB10 one isn't. you could reverse-engineer it, but it's not worth for anyone to do that.
    10-03-15 03:39 PM
    Android can run emulators (like a NES emulator for old NES games). The android runtime is opensource while the BB10 one isn't. you could reverse-engineer it, but it's not worth for anyone to do that.
    You do realize you can get the same emulators on BB10, both native and Android, right?

 Posted via CB10 - Passport - 10.3.2.2639 
    10-03-15 03:50 PM
    Bb10 can also run emulators such as nes and playstation, with that being said though your point is still right, Android is by far way more accommodating than bb10 even if bb10 had another 2-3 years to catch up.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 03:51 PM
    The majority of Google Android is NOT open source much to the chagrin of many smartphone OEMs including Samsung which is beholden to Google for any OS udates and patches. Google pulled the wool over many otherwise intelligent people.
    10-03-15 03:53 PM
    It's just the apps. BlackBerry is superior in every other respect for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 04:20 PM
    Absolutely nothing

Posted via CB10
    sirius27, ssbtech, dmlis and 6 others like this.
    10-03-15 04:33 PM
    The Pebble Time works flawless on Android...All Android Wear Notifications arrive and some other features work too...So I am glad to get a BlackBerry Device with BB OS10 F features like the hub and a physical keyboard...good things from both worlds! Everything is perfect that way!:-)

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 05:08 PM
    In the very near future people will have a choice between BlackBerry OS 10 or BlackBerry Android. When people make this choice they are going to do so in a logical way.

In a free-market no one will buy a car that can only travel on 75 percent of roads, even if it has a fantastic engine. Likewise, no one would want to buy a smartphone developed by a totalitarian government with permanently restricted Internet access. This is the crux of the issue.

Given a choice (and a limited budget) future consumers will almost always gravitate to BlackBerry Android. It comes down to having all options versus restrictions.

Hoping for an Android Classic!

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    10-03-15 05:57 PM
    what does "rooted" mean?
    10-03-15 06:03 PM
    The majority of Google Android is NOT open source much to the chagrin of many smartphone OEMs including Samsung which is beholden to Google for any OS udates and patches. Google pulled the wool over many otherwise intelligent people.
    I think Soul was referring to the runtime, not Android.
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    10-03-15 06:10 PM
    And by some apps you mean snap chat right?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    rday76 likes this.
    10-03-15 06:13 PM
    Here is the USA, apps are how folks get things done, everything from banking, social media and even custom apps dominate the market here.

I see more commercials and advertising about using apps for ordering pizza, paying bills, buying cars and the list goes on and on. This is 2015 and not 2006 and that's just the way it is whether you choose to accept it or not.
    10-03-15 06:15 PM
    But for the CURRENT BlackBerry users waiting for the PRIV. What is the appeal of this phone? Taking apps out the equation, what can Android do that is so appealing?
    BlackBerry Passport / OS 10.3.2.2639 / SQW100-3 / BBM 2C05E109
    Your questions are not exactly the same... Are you asking just about the Android OS or are you asking about the Priv?

As far as the OS goes, I am skeptical just as many others are and need to see how well BlackBerry is going to pull off bringing the parts of BB10 that we have come to love and depend on to Android. The app situation doesn't bother me currently so the shift to Android isn't anything more than a change that isn't necessary for me, personally.

However, I am still eager to see the Priv in action. The reason being the awesome Slider form factor. This is a form that worked very when touch screens were first introduced and somehow left once physical keyboards lost popularity. The fact that it is returning is very exciting and I welcome it back! Now that we know we won't have a BB10 version though, it is a cautious anticipation.
    10-03-15 06:16 PM
    what does "rooted" mean?
    Superuser (administrative rights) access.
    10-03-15 06:43 PM
    From Blackberry's perspective, an astounding reduction in development costs by going to a platform paid for by Google. My guess is BB will reduce their OS costs by 90%. They will only have a few custom applications to maintain (the HUB, their custom security solution, BBM, etc.) The rest gets left to Google.

For Blackberry, it means a chance at survival.
    10-03-15 06:50 PM
    It is so unfortunate that uneducated sheep have basically killed BBOS. Such a waste.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 07:11 PM
367 123 ...