Slim to none as there has been no reported cases of them exploding lol. Maybe if there was a recall or a history of it, but yeah, hyperbolic question.
    Thanks for stating the obvious, Bla1ze. We know the risk is low due to the length of time the Priv has been in use without any such incidents.

The problem with the Samsung phones is a manufacturing defect in the battery that has resulted in some of the batteries shorting out internally. It is still good practice though to make sure your phone can dissipate the heat generated in normal use.
    09-19-16 04:40 PM
    OP: I have completed my calculations. The odds of a PRIV catching fire is exactly 1/N7 (where N = Note)

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    09-19-16 07:46 PM
    I was just reading an article in the Financial Times the other day and I am seriously wondering what the chances are that a Priv one day will catch fire and will be on the banned list of the FAA? Especially in the light of the multiple dozens of threads on Crackberry on overheating issues of the Privs battery.

I must confess, I never had a phone get as hot as the Priv does. Basically, I never seem to be able to use it during commutes by car, while having the device on my lap, while navigating via Google maps/gps. The device always gets so hot that I need to take it off my lap. I always get this message that the device is taking measures to cool down and that it has to close gps. This is when I only navigate via Google maps.

Simultaneously using Google maps and playing music via Poweramp (or other apps at the same time) isn't even an option since it heats up tremendously within a short time that it becomes scary to use the device for a longer time while being outside and on the road. Using the device outside on a terrace, garden, beach whatever while the sun is shining a bit on it while you browse the internet a bit and maybe listen to music causes the same issues.

Apparently a bit of sun shining on the phone, while using the device is already considered as using the device under "extremely hot" conditions according to the Privs manual?

Now in the light of all the Priv overheating threads, Galaxy Note 7 flame bursting instances/FAA ban, and similar lithium-ion stories, I'm just wondering if the Priv could also be considered a ticking time bomb. I'm always anxious using the Priv in the aforementioned ways. And for sure, many more Samsung devices have been sold so the likelihood of terrible incidents of exploding devices/fires by overheating batteries being reported compared to the Priv, is understandable.

Attachment 408583Attachment 408593
    First off you are confusing the heat issues between the two phones. The Galaxy has a battery issue, this is what caused the the fires. The Priv gets hot because of the chips in the phone, from how the phone accesses and uses the chips. This creates heat, that's why as the OS improved so did the heat issue.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    09-19-16 08:09 PM
28 12