I was just reading an article in the Financial Times the other day and I am seriously wondering what the chances are that a Priv one day will catch fire and will be on the banned list of the FAA? Especially in the light of the multiple dozens of threads on Crackberry on overheating issues of the Privs battery.

I must confess, I never had a phone get as hot as the Priv does. Basically, I never seem to be able to use it during commutes by car, while having the device on my lap, while navigating via Google maps/gps. The device always gets so hot that I need to take it off my lap. I always get this message that the device is taking measures to cool down and that it has to close gps. This is when I only navigate via Google maps.

Simultaneously using Google maps and playing music via Poweramp (or other apps at the same time) isn't even an option since it heats up tremendously within a short time that it becomes scary to use the device for a longer time while being outside and on the road. Using the device outside on a terrace, garden, beach whatever while the sun is shining a bit on it while you browse the internet a bit and maybe listen to music causes the same issues.

Apparently a bit of sun shining on the phone, while using the device is already considered as using the device under "extremely hot" conditions according to the Privs manual?

Now in the light of all the Priv overheating threads, Galaxy Note 7 flame bursting instances/FAA ban, and similar lithium-ion stories, I'm just wondering if the Priv could also be considered a ticking time bomb. I'm always anxious using the Priv in the aforementioned ways. And for sure, many more Samsung devices have been sold so the likelihood of terrible incidents of exploding devices/fires by overheating batteries being reported compared to the Priv, is understandable.

What is the actual risk of the Priv catching fire and getting banned by the FAA????-img_20160919_1145248.jpgWhat is the actual risk of the Priv catching fire and getting banned by the FAA????-2016-09-19_150231.jpg
    Last edited by WT44; 09-19-16 at 08:04 AM.
    09-19-16 05:26 AM
    I navigated for 2 hours using Google Maps yesterday, and had no issues at all. The phone was a little warm, but this could have been from charging as well.

And the phone on your lap while driving? Hm...

Posted from my Priv
    09-19-16 05:44 AM
    Did you perform a factory reset, ever?

My experience with the Priv changed tremendously after a factory reset. Cool as a cucumber.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-19-16 05:57 AM
    The PRIV was unbearably hot when I first unboxed it and had it running on lollipop. But within hours of updating it to Marshmallow, it hasn't heated up the same since. It does get warm from time to time but that's only when I'm charging it while using GMAPS or downloading a bunch of app updates from Google Play store all at once. Other than that, under normal use the phone has been an excellent performer.

Sorry OP, can't say I share the same worries.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    09-19-16 06:49 AM
    Would help if we knew who made the batteries, the fiery Samsungs are made by SDI, a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung, The roughly 30% of Note 7 batteries that are considered 'safe' are made by ATL, a Chinese company.
    Apparently it's top secret as to who makes BB's batteries.

As to yours getting so hot - a good number of them do, the majority don't. Have you done as advised and preformed a complete factory reset, as in running the auto loader?
    Which device variant, 'brand' and OS are you running? Do you know what else is running in the background while yours is getting hot? Are you running any social apps with all the notifications ON?

Do the autoloader, let it run for a couple days to settle in, then let us know how it's doing, along with which Priv. They are NOT all the same.
    09-19-16 07:02 AM
    This thread is NOT about me seeking for help on how to solve my heating issues. I have learned to get used to the heating issues. It doesn't bother me since I ONLY have tremendous heating issues with apps closing down when using Google maps/gps OR when using both Google maps and listening to some music via Power amp (both inside the car while there is perhaps some inevitable sun shining on the device from certain angles) OR While outside in the sun browsing the web a bit or watching movie clips (not gaming).
    This thread is about the likelihood of Privs catching fire similar to the recent Galaxy Note 7 disaster. I'm just saying, it wouldn't necessarily be unthinkable with all the dozens of threads on CB about (tremendous) battery heating in mind???? What I said, under the conditions I just mentioned, I must say that I'm often anxious to expose the Priv to even more "abuse" = continuation of doing what I was doing when the device cooling notification shows up.

I navigated for 2 hours using Google Maps yesterday, and had no issues at all. The phone was a little warm, but this could have been from charging as well.

And the phone on your lap while driving? Hm...
    Be glad this thread is irrelevant to your interests then. Thanks for the concerns.

Did you perform a factory reset, ever?

My experience with the Priv changed tremendously after a factory reset. Cool as a cucumber.

Sure I did and nope. Did not help. But like I said, the tremendous heating is only noticeable in my case when doing what I said I'm doing when the device cooling notification pops up. But that still begs the question if the Priv is a ticking time bomb like the Note 7 since it also is sporting a lithium-ion battery.

The PRIV was unbearably hot when I first unboxed it and had it running on lollipop. But within hours of updating it to Marshmallow, it hasn't heated up the same since. It does get warm from time to time but that's only when I'm charging it while using GMAPS or downloading a bunch of app updates from Google Play store all at once. Other than that, under normal use the phone has been an excellent performer.

Sorry OP, can't say I share the same worries.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    I had Lollipop. I have Marshmallow. Didn't make any difference for me. In both cases, I thankfully never had any heating issues, EXCEPT under the mentioned conditions. That hasn't ceased to be the case when moving to Marshmallow.

Would help if we knew who made the batteries, the fiery Samsungs are made by SDI, a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung, The roughly 30% of Note 7 batteries that are considered 'safe' are made by ATL, a Chinese company.

As to yours getting so hot - a good number of them do, the majority don't. Have you done as advised and preformed a complete factory reset, as in running the auto loader?
    Which device variant, 'brand' and OS are you running? Do you know what else is running in the background while yours is getting hot? Are you running any social apps with all the notifications ON?

Do the autoloader, let it run for a couple days to settle in, then let us know how it's doing, along with which Priv. They are NOT all the same.
    Apparently there is a reason why its top secret.
    Like I said, this thread is not about me seeking for advice, because I don't need it.
    But to answer some of your questions. There are no social media apps running in the background that I have allowed to send me notifications. It's only Google maps or Google maps in combination with Power amp or Opera browser in combination with Power amp----> all while being on the road, outside and while there is some sunlight inevitable shining on the device. Seems that a lot of people remain to have heating problems which generally doesn't seem to be able to get resolved in a 100% satisfactory way no matter what auto loader, factory resetting and other tipps/tricks/anti-spam apps and what not have been tried. This phone just doesn't seem to have any cooling vents; so I believe it is matter of failing hardware design that is generally causing the heating issues; hence my question if this device could be a ticking time bomb like the Note 7 under the mentioned conditions.
    Last edited by WT44; 09-19-16 at 10:06 AM.
    09-19-16 08:37 AM
    How long has the Priv been out? How many fires have you heard about? Has there been any mention of them being band?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 09:15 AM

Maybe I've seen an answer but don't recall - where in the Priv (Lollipop AND MM) or what process can show what is actually running in the background? I would like to know ALL of those apps or processes. I do use Task Manager by Bytehamster to show "tasks" but I know that other stuff is also running. How do I find all of them - and not necessarily to kill them, just to satisfy my curiousity.
    09-19-16 09:16 AM
    This thread is NOT about me seeking for help

This thread is about the likelihood of Privs catching fire similar to the recent Galaxy Note 7 disaster.
    Well, you won't like this suggestion but set your Priv up in a very controlled environment maybe with a sheet of newspaper under it and let it go full bore. You have a warranty and if it ignites you will have your answer and a new phone. But I guess you also say that you get the "Cooling Down" intercept so it is not likely to happen.

But, yes, lithium batteries from their earliest as D cells (not lithium ion, I don't believe) we used in headlamps were known as explosive. Never really wanted my forehead blown off. But they were great winter camping and lasted forever.
    09-19-16 09:29 AM
    First:
    1) Has there been any reported or confirmed instances of a Priv catching fire?
    2) If so, what are the numbers or percentage of Priv sold that have done so?
    09-19-16 10:26 AM
    Priv (Lollipop AND MM) or what process can show what is actually running in the background?
    There prob is an app, I just look at data usage at the end of the day if I suspect something. I assume the info is there in Lollipop.
    Under data usage, tap on the app you suspect.
    Under Marshmallow, it doesn't reset when daily or when you put it on charge, default is calendar month, I've changed mine to billing cycle.
    zephyr613 and FF22 like this.
    09-19-16 10:40 AM
    I found this shot of the Priv battery from a teardown:

I can just make out "ATL" above the "Made in China" sticker. Of course, BlackBerry might have more than one supplier for batteries, so I'm not sure if this is true for all Privs.
    FF22, Jrox74 and Gajja like this.
    09-19-16 11:09 AM
    My opinion is that the processor is more of an issue than the battery.
    09-19-16 11:18 AM
    It is 100 percent about the battery. There is a faulty chip inside the battery causing it to catch fire. We would have known by now if priv had the same problem. I don't see any sense in opening up a thread like this. The answer is no FAA won't ban the priv.
    09-19-16 12:24 PM
    It is 100 percent about the battery. There is a faulty chip inside the battery causing it to catch fire. We would have known by now if priv had the same problem. I don't see any sense in opening up a thread like this. The answer is no FAA won't ban the priv.
    Was referring to the heat on Priv. I think it is more related to the processor.
    09-19-16 12:47 PM
    Was referring to the heat on Priv. I think it is more related to the processor.
    Yeah, it seems like it originates from where the CPU is.

I wish Qualcomm could poach some Apple engineers and figure out how to design a CPU without bursting into flames.
    bluesqueen23 and Jrox74 like this.
    09-19-16 01:24 PM
    Yeah, it seems like it originates from where the CPU is.

I wish Qualcomm could poach some Apple engineers and figure out how to design a CPU without bursting into flames.
    Well, the new A10 processor in the iPhone 7 plus seems to be "hissing" at people under high loads. Though, it's not overheating.
    09-19-16 02:06 PM
    I've experienced intermittent issues with heating and performance as well.

Just as I got Lollipop stabled, but marshmallow came out, so I had to start over again.

Just yesterday, phone in mag mount on windshield. Using waze and play music. Generated the overheat message a couple of times.

09-19-16 02:27 PM
    Good grief with all these hot phones. My old 3g phone never over heated and was built like a brick to boot. Ah the good old days...

Are 3g phones even supported anymore on today's networks? Can I use one as a backup?

Passport!
    09-19-16 02:42 PM
    I was just reading an article in the Financial Times the other day and I am seriously wondering what the chances are that a Priv one day will catch fire and will be on the banned list of the FAA?
    Slim to none as there has been no reported cases of them exploding lol. Maybe if there was a recall or a history of it, but yeah, hyperbolic question.
    BB-JAM215 likes this.
    09-19-16 03:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 04:11 PM
    I've never heard of a priv catching fire. The note 7 battery was actually flawed and one of the standard safety mechanisms were faulty. It's not just about the phone overheating. It was shorting

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    09-19-16 04:15 PM
    Well, the new A10 processor in the iPhone 7 plus seems to be "hissing" at people under high loads. Though, it's not overheating.
    In fairness, that's not uncommon for many mobile phones that are under 'pressure' (high cpu load, indexing, etc). People are just noticing it more after the whole Samsung Note 7 debacle. The media is running with it because it's clickbait, imho.

The 'bendgate' and 'antennagate' on the other hand? Those were real concerns back in the day.
    09-19-16 04:20 PM
    In fairness, that's not uncommon for many mobile phones that are under 'pressure' (high cpu load, indexing, etc). People are just noticing it more after the whole Samsung Note 7 debacle. The media is running with it because it's clickbait, imho.

The 'bendgate' and 'antennagate' on the other hand? Those were real concerns back in the day.

Oh stop it. We're getting some good hate going here, no one needs you busting it up with logic. Sheesh.
    09-19-16 04:28 PM
    Oh stop it. We're getting some good hate going here, no one needs you busting it up with logic. Sheesh.
    Hah. Well, I'll never forget the immortal words: "You're holding it wrong.", lol. Right up there with "640K ought to be enough for anybody." And, of course, "Tools, not toys." (I'm an equal opportunity basher).

Howzat? =)
    09-19-16 04:40 PM
28 12