Um so my BlackBerry was doing great and I was like lemme try one of these fb like messengers that arent the fb messenger...so installed and uninstalled a few ...they were terrible....now my phone got hot and the battery is getting sucked up...I rebooted...can an app have a virus or something? I can't find what it is!!! Dammit!!! What is "lookout"? It's from tmo looks like a vscanner maybe?? Thnx!
    02-19-16 07:21 PM
    I don't have a priv but I thought that's what DTEK was for.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 07:29 PM
    Yeah, apparently lookout is some stuff that T mobile loads, and it's terrible for it. As well as the my Tmobile app.

Disable/uninstall those if you can.

Posted via -sigh- Priv. Guess we have to get used to Android guys....
    02-19-16 07:51 PM
    ...it keeps asking me to use lookout and I say no. I thought maybe if it's a virus scanner....Dtek confuses me. I dunno if u can get viruses from the app store, doesn't happen on an iPad... I greenified every single thing and I think it's OK now...scared me after all I went thru to get a stable battery... I ditched my tmo first day. I like visual voice-mail tho.
    02-19-16 08:49 PM
    ...it keeps asking me to use lookout and I say no. I thought maybe if it's a virus scanner....Dtek confuses me. I dunno if u can get viruses from the app store, doesn't happen on an iPad... I greenified every single thing and I think it's OK now...scared me after all I went thru to get a stable battery... I ditched my tmo first day. I like visual voice-mail tho.
    Keep lookout on your phone and turn it on.
    It is a virus scanner app, plus security app.

There's many options in it to control it's background running tasks.

It's also a locator, remote locker, and remote wiping app.

I use it on all my Android phones. Why bother with any others since premium version is free with T-Mobile.
    02-19-16 11:02 PM
    How is premium free? It says I will be charged 4 bux a month on my tmo acct? Thnx
    02-20-16 05:01 AM
    Sorry about that.
    I forgot I have jump on demand. So free for me.
    Even the the free version is still good. You just don't get all the features.
    02-20-16 05:15 AM
    It does seem to do the same thing as dtek and android web services. It is interesting so many apps in google play store say fake fake fake scam password stealer in the comments. It makes me want to be ensconced in virus protection the way George costanza wanted to be ensconced in velvet.
    nick13b likes this.
    02-20-16 09:36 AM
    Keep lookout on your phone and turn it on.
    It is a virus scanner app, plus security app.

There's many options in it to control it's background running tasks.

It's also a locator, remote locker, and remote wiping app.

I use it on all my Android phones. Why bother with any others since premium version is free with T-Mobile.
    Android has built-in virus scanning, remote locating, remote locking, and remote wiping. T-Mobile is paid to preload the app on the Android devices that they sell. It's redundant and drains battery.
    02-20-16 09:42 AM
    Android has built-in virus scanning, remote locating, remote locking, and remote wiping. T-Mobile is paid to preload the app on the Android devices that they sell. It's redundant and drains battery.
    Android has built-in virus scanning, remote locating, remote locking, and remote wiping......

Where? I haven't had it on any of my phones, always have had to use third party apps.
    02-20-16 10:41 AM
    Android has built-in virus scanning, remote locating, remote locking, and remote wiping......

Where? I haven't had it on any of my phones, always have had to use third party apps.
    Virus scanning is built into the Play Store and in the unknown sources downloading process. If you ever tried to sideload an app with malicious content, you would see multiple warnings and interactions before you can actually download it.

All of the other stuff is part of Android Device Manager.
    02-20-16 10:45 AM
    Virus scanning is built into the Play Store and in the unknown sources downloading process. If you ever tried to sideload an app with malicious content, you would see multiple warnings and interactions before you can actually download it.

All of the other stuff is part of Android Device Manager.
    I don't think play store nor unknown source scans for viruses. Ive never had virus updates from neither of those apps. And the warnings are only those, just warnings. There just first line of defense warnings or blocks.

Device manager isn't available on every Android device.

I prefer one app to cover it all. That's better than having three different operations running simultaneously to drain the battery down.

In addition lookout has other useful features that non you mention do.

Just saying. That's all.
    But OP use what you'd like to. In the end it's your phone.
    02-20-16 11:10 AM
    I don't think play store nor unknown source scans for viruses. Ive never had virus updates from neither of those apps. And the warnings are only those, just warnings. There just first line of defense warnings or blocks.

Device manager isn't available on every Android device.

I prefer one app to cover it all. That's better than having three different operations running simultaneously to drain the battery down.

In addition lookout has other useful features that non you mention do.

Just saying. That's all.
    But OP use what you'd like to. In the end it's your phone.
    I have from sideloading an app. What devices is ADM not available on? These things work regardless of you having Lookout installed, so having them both running is draining more battery. What else does Lookout do?
    02-20-16 12:42 PM
    I can say this for lookout--it looks easier to use. I assume it's all preference, my preference is f r e e. Kris Kross can make me Jump Jump but T-Mobile couldn't convince me.
    02-20-16 01:36 PM
    I can say this for lookout--it looks easier to use. I assume it's all preference, my preference is f r e e. Kris Kross can make me Jump Jump but T-Mobile couldn't convince me.
    Awesome reference, Mac daddy. Bringing back the memories.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    02-20-16 03:08 PM
    I have from sideloading an app. What devices is ADM not available on? These things work regardless of you having Lookout installed, so having them both running is draining more battery. What else does Lookout do?
    Screen shot from my LG V10.
    No ADM
    02-20-16 06:34 PM
    Forgot to attach....
    Attached Thumbnails Weird...virus?-screenshot_2016-02-20-19-33-59.jpg  
    02-20-16 06:35 PM
    Screen shot from my LG V10.
    No ADM
    No picture.
    02-20-16 06:37 PM
    Forgot to attach....
    You could download it, I guess that's another weird thing with LG. I love their hardware and some of the animations in their skin are sweet but they mess with Android way too much. It's worse than TouchWiz in some respects.
    02-20-16 06:39 PM
    ADM doesn't show a s a separate app, its built into google play services. Just go to: google.co.uk/android/devicemanager and you can sign in to google and locate, wipe and notify your phone.

Virus scanning is happening on your device, its just transparent to you the user as you obviously haven't downloaded anything dodgy. Try and download one of the many automatic rooting apps and you will soon see the warnings. You will never need to download updates for this as the application signature is checked online. All this stuff is running as part of google play services, you cant switch it off and adding an additional antivirus is going to do slow your phone down and drain your battery.

Anything that works as a cache cleaner or task killer for background tasks on android is increasing lag, reducing your battery life and is actually fighting against how your phone OS is supposed to work.

These apps were great back in the gingerbread and earlier days, but now not so much...
    02-21-16 03:05 PM
    Awesome reference, Mac daddy. Bringing back the memories.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    I hear some of them trying to rhyme but they can't rhyme like this, centerman. It's just what I hear.
    02-22-16 05:58 AM

Since Android 4.2, Google Play Services has had on device scanning. You don't see it because there's nothing to see since it's all done in the background. This is often the culprit when you see someone complain that an app they tried to install from a source other than the Play Store simply disappears from their device. Apps on the Play Store are scanned when submitted/updated on the Play Store servers.

As for remote locating, locking, wiping... there's no app (well there used to be but it's built in now), you just visit https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager from any web browser. Or do a Google search for "Find my phone".
    02-22-16 06:39 AM