EDIT: NEVERMIND, SEE POST #10 Some instructions to this effect would have been nice!

I don't know who designed it, but it will damage your USB port over time for sure. There is zero support for the weight of the phone. I don't understand how they didn't test this.

See link:

https://vid.me/8nNn
    Last edited by SeltzerWater; 11-12-15 at 08:14 AM.
    11-12-15 07:25 AM
    I think the accessories department is sleeping at the wheel on details of how they interact with the device...
    11-12-15 07:28 AM
    I think the accessories department is sleeping at the wheel on details of how they interact with the device...
    Without a doubt, that pod nest will severely damage your phone. This is not good.
    Last edited by SeltzerWater; 11-12-15 at 07:50 AM.
    11-12-15 07:30 AM
    That's crazy. Thanks for the heads up. Love this forum. I had just picked up my slide out hard shell and was about to put it on when I read the other thread about it damaging the phone.

Definitely agree. The quality control and testing departments should really be looked at by releasing accessories like this.
    11-12-15 07:31 AM
    Is the nest the adaptor for the sync pod or is it the one made for Priv?

Posted from my Priv!
    11-12-15 07:33 AM
    Is the nest the adaptor for the sync pod or is it the one made for Priv?

Posted from my Priv!
    Yup! I bought it on launch day and got it last night. Honestly, the Passport one has MORE support and fits better, but not good enough to use safely.
    11-12-15 07:36 AM
    Yup! I bought it on launch day and got it last night. Honestly, the Passport one has MORE support and fits better, but not good enough to use safely.
    Okay good to know. I actually bought a new original one made for Priv, hopefully not same problem . Receive today.

Posted from my Priv!
    11-12-15 07:39 AM
    Okay good to know. I actually bought a new original one made for Priv, hopefully not same problem . Receive today.

Posted from my Priv!
    I think it will. Every sync pod is comprised of the base unit and the nest. The nest in this case is the problem.

But please let us know!
    11-12-15 07:46 AM
    I don't know who designed it, but it will damage your USB port over time for sure. There is zero support for the weight of the phone. I don't understand how they didn't test this.

See link:

I agree... the same goes with the nest and the pod for the PP.. it damaged the port on my passport.... now I can't use the USB port in my car nor my computers.. and I always get the cable detection error when I use the cable and brick that came with my PP... I have to wiggle it around to charge now

College Valedictorian.. I.T. Pro... Red Passport on 10.3.1.2576 on ATT.. SoFlo... #LexusBoys #TeamVossen ...... #TeamVySol
    11-12-15 07:51 AM

See link:

That sucks hope they gave you a new Priv. One thing I noticed about the USB port it's a bit loose I can wiggle the charger, not good, my PlayBook had the same issue and after two years it would not charge without me holding it in position.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-12-15 07:54 AM
    My sync pod nest works fine. Did you install the little adapter piece that came with it in the box correctly ? If you install the piece one way, it fits with the hard shell and if you invert it, it supports the Priv naked. Not loose at all.

Attachment 380229
    Attachment 380230
    11-12-15 08:04 AM
    OMG! User error!!!!

I didn't know that piece could be inverted.

MODS: Please change the thread title to WARN that people must insert that piece inverted.
    11-12-15 08:09 AM
    My sync pod nest works fine. Did you install the little adapter piece that came with it in the box correctly ? If you install the piece one way, it fits with the hard shell and if you invert it, it supports the Priv naked. Not loose at all.

Attachment 380229
    Attachment 380230
    This for sure.

I can't seem to see the attachments for some reason but I'd be certain this is it. I've been using it with hard shell case without issue as well
    11-12-15 08:16 AM
    This for sure.

I can't seem to see the attachments for some reason but I'd be certain this is it. I've been using it with hard shell case without issue as well
    I can't see them either.

But poster is right. I inverted the piece, and the stand works well
    lyricidal likes this.
    11-12-15 08:24 AM
    OMG! User error!!!!

I didn't know that piece could be inverted.

MODS: Please change the thread title to WARN that people must insert that piece inverted.
    Hit the report button...
    11-12-15 08:28 AM
    Ooops

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-14-15 09:11 AM
    Priv Pod works great. You do need to be careful putting in and out. Be gentle and it will last a long time.
    My new night time clock stand

Posted from my Priv!
    11-14-15 09:14 AM

Attachment 380229
    Attachment 380230
    And this, my friends, is why we love crackberry.

Curve8300 - Curve9220 - Torch9850 - Z10 - Priv
    11-14-15 09:48 AM
    This is one of those times when reading the instructions is worth the time spent. My wife and I both got a new Priv and a Sync Pod which is a little awkward, but if assembled correctly causes no problem and works correctly.
    11-14-15 09:57 AM
    This is one of those times when reading the instructions is worth the time spent. My wife and I both got a new Priv and a Sync Pod which is a little awkward, but if assembled correctly causes no problem and works correctly.
    Mine contained absolutely no instructions. Not a single piece of paper.
    11-14-15 11:01 AM
    Priv Pod works great. You do need to be careful putting in and out. Be gentle and it will last a long time.
    My new night time clock stand

Posted from my Priv!
    Could not agree more. It works great, especially connected to Aukey charger (QuickCharge). I'm charging my Priv for 1,5 hour every 2 days and then disconnect the cable. I never charge over night, to avoid "microcharging". Love the battery life after properly configured my Priv.

I'm not afraid of damaging my microUSB port, however the first time I put my Priv into the sync pod, I noticed it may (or may not) scratch the back panel in one place because of the pressure. That's why I cut some microfibre material and put it there to avoid this. See the attached photo.

I have my Priv for 6 months now and I never use any shells or screen protectors. It's not iPhone, the screen is far better. It's even more scratch resistant than Galaxy S7's screen (see JerryRigEverything channel on YT).

My Priv looks like a brand new one (after 6 months every day use), while my colleague's is damaged due to the hard shell :-)

Don't be so overprotective and you will be fine. A cell phone should serve you, not the opposite. Besides, Priv looks so beautiful out of the box. Using shells, cases or screen protectors make it looks like a cheap crappy phone. Why use shells or cases? To not see the real Priv design ever again? This is the best phone in the market right now.

WARNING: Take note of adapter placement for Priv sync pod-priv_sync_pod.jpg
    Sigewif likes this.
    08-11-16 04:59 PM
    Charging pods that use USB are stupid in my opinion. You're just asking to damage the USB port that way.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 05:27 PM
    Could not agree more. It works great, especially connected to Aukey charger (QuickCharge). I'm charging my Priv for 1,5 hour every 2 days and then disconnect the cable. I never charge over night, to avoid "microcharging". Love the battery life after properly configured my Priv.

I'm not afraid of damaging my microUSB port, however the first time I put my Priv into the sync pod, I noticed it may (or may not) scratch the back panel in one place because of the pressure. That's why I cut some microfibre material and put it there to avoid this. See the attached photo.

I have my Priv for 6 months now and I never use any shells or screen protectors. It's not iPhone, the screen is far better. It's even more scratch resistant than Galaxy S7's screen (see JerryRigEverything channel on YT).

My Priv looks like a brand new one (after 6 months every day use), while my colleague's is damaged due to the hard shell :-)

Don't be so overprotective and you will be fine. A cell phone should serve you, not the opposite. Besides, Priv looks so beautiful out of the box. Using shells, cases or screen protectors make it looks like a cheap crappy phone. Why use shells or cases? To not see the real Priv design ever again? This is the best phone in the market right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	priv_sync_pod.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	406138
    Hello, what do you mean by 'microcharging'?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-16 04:14 PM
    I believe what he is referring to is while on charge and the battery reaches full charge, the charging process will stop for a period and as the level drops (in most cases 0.5 to 1%) the charging will recommence, hence the term microcharging. Although that is no longer a factor with modern L-ion batteries.

Unlike the 1st and 2nd gen L-ion batteries, current L-ion batteries ( originally called "smart" batteries) have a chip that actually controls the charging, not the charger, and to a lesser degree the device (phone) . It's virtually impossible to overcharge a L-ion battery as long as the charger is operating properly or it's not some cheap knock off.

That being said, it's a myth that you can overcharge a modern cellphone battery or damage/ shorten the life by leaving it in a charger overnight. What really shortens the life or damages an L-ion battery is excessive heat and deep cycling ( draining to below 10% and then charging back up to 100%) .

Leaving a phone on the charger for periods of 24hrs or more regularly CAN be detrimental to battery life because of the heat, not the charging. The same goes for charging for several hours or more while the phone is in a case, because of heat.

A couple of years ago we had a rep from one of our electronic testing equipment suppliers in our facility to go over a new piece of equipment. Part of the orientation was dealing with charging the batteries used in the analyzer ( which are basically larger versions of L-ion cellphone batteries) . This rep deals directly with the battery manufacturer because this one piece of equipment cost over $35,000 and they make sure we are maintaining the equipment correctly. When it came to charging, we were told to essentially plug it up and don't worry about it. I asked about the length of charge because we may only use this particular device once a week or less. He said years of field use have demonstrated that unless you have a faulty charger and the charger fan is operating, there would be little impact on the battery life. The key is the fan, keeping the battery temps down, which of course phone chargers don't have. The battery rep told him that the cellphone batteries his company makes are no different. Since phone chargers don't have cooling fans, they recommend a charge cycle of 12hrs or less, just to be safe and prevent heat degradation of the battery.

What was interesting is he said the optimum charging practice, while possibly inconvenient, is short topoffs throughout the day, maintaining a battery level of between 40% and 80%. That practice will ensure the longest life of a L-ion battery.

That being said, I have a PlayBook that is over 5yrs old that is charged religiously every 2 days overnight and it still holds a charge for 2 days of various use. Same goes for my 9930, which was overnight charged for 3 yrs with no issues.

The moral of this excessively long post, don't worry about overnight charging, but if it's in a case, I'd not leave it on charge for more than 7 or 8 hrs.

Don't take my word for it though, do some research, preferably tech sites that deal specifically with L-ion batteries, better yet, battery and charger manufacturers. There's a lot of myths and misinformation being thrown around on forums. Better to get it from the horse's mouth.

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    FF22 and ruben1975 like this.
    09-26-16 01:29 AM
    what is microcharging and why do we need to avoid it?
    12-13-16 03:13 PM
27 12