I got the Priv... hurray! Got to work setting it up. Canceled all sync processes. Opted out of anything Google except for the required PlayStore. Added desired apps (Firefox and Netflix). Backed up SDCard and it. Updated all the BBRY apps like suggested in the forums. Looks like everything is good to go. Then the issues started creeping in...

Like Chen, I'm swiping up while trying to get out of open apps out of habit. I totally understand what happened that day. OK, love the hardware but need to learn some basic functions. Wait, how do I view pictures without using the camera? I need to download more apps? Why does this voicemail alert keep beeping at me; where's that setting so I can just hear the alert once and be done with it? Got my first txt message... uh, I have to choose an app to view it? Didn't I already say I didn't want to use Google services or to sync anything? Stock calculator really is a stock calculator.

Yeah, looks like my setup isn't complete yet by a LONG shot. Gotta go find some more apps. I miss being babied by BlackBerry where all the basic functions just works out of the box. Going from BBOS to BB10 was a no brainer. Didn't have that same experience going to Android like I'd hoped. Good thing this is my backup phone. Hoping BlackBerry puts out more apps to emulate BB10 functions and not just stop at what's already on here... perhaps even have the Priv come with the same basic apps that are found on BB10 whenever they get around to upgrading the OS. Yes, I'm willing to pay (not a lot, but willing) for those missing apps on top of paying for the hardware.
    frisco49ers likes this.
    11-12-15 02:49 PM
    uh oh

your're in it now !!!!

up to your neck!!!

one thing about android is hat its nothing like bb10 aside from a few swipes here and there its something totally different
    11-12-15 02:57 PM
    uh oh

your're in it now !!!!

up to your neck!!!

one thing about android is hat its nothing like bb10 aside from a few swipes here and there its something totally different
    which is not to say it's worse.

Although, plenty here will pull that equivalency out of thin air.
    11-12-15 02:59 PM
    I got the Priv... hurray! Got to work setting it up. Canceled all sync processes. Opted out of anything Google except for the required PlayStore. Added desired apps (Firefox and Netflix). Backed up SDCard and it. Updated all the BBRY apps like suggested in the forums. Looks like everything is good to go. Then the issues started creeping in...

Like Chen, I'm swiping up while trying to get out of open apps out of habit. I totally understand what happened that day. OK, love the hardware but need to learn some basic functions. Wait, how do I view pictures without using the camera? I need to download more apps? Why does this voicemail alert keep beeping at me; where's that setting so I can just hear the alert once and be done with it? Got my first txt message... uh, I have to choose an app to view it? Didn't I already say I didn't want to use Google services or to sync anything? Stock calculator really is a stock calculator.

Yeah, looks like my setup isn't complete yet by a LONG shot. Gotta go find some more apps. I miss being babied by BlackBerry where all the basic functions just works out of the box. Going from BBOS to BB10 was a no brainer. Didn't have that same experience going to Android like I'd hoped. Good thing this is my backup phone. Hoping BlackBerry puts out more apps to emulate BB10 functions and not just stop at what's already on here... perhaps even have the Priv come with the same basic apps that are found on BB10 whenever they get around to upgrading the OS. Yes, I'm willing to pay (not a lot, but willing) for those missing apps on top of paying for the hardware.
    Quickpic is great light app for pictures and ES file manager for all files.
    Google photos lag way too much and no native file manager Priv.

Posted from my Priv!
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-12-15 02:59 PM
    I got the Priv... hurray! Got to work setting it up. Canceled all sync processes. Opted out of anything Google except for the required PlayStore.
    Just out of pure curiosity, why the hate on Google apps? It seems like a lot of the issues you are having, like not being able to view photos, would have been solved by keeping some apps.

I think it's a little unfair to shut everything off then exclaim that things don't work right out of the box. There will be more growing pains as you jump from a linear OS progression to a new OS.

There's a beauty to Android that there is a ton of options out there for you. If you're looking for recommendations, I'd be happy to help. I'm a transplant long time Android user who's curious about BB10 and what it could do, but I've also had time to test apps and understand how to get a pretty slick device. I can help 'baby' you through some of the pains of Android! Ask away.
    Quorist, Xaiux, aha and 2 others like this.
    11-12-15 03:41 PM
    Install swipeup utility and replace google now with homescreen/app switcher. It brings back some of that BB10 gesture appeal.
    11-12-15 03:47 PM
    which is not to say it's worse.

Although, plenty here will pull that equivalency out of thin air.
    Well out of the box it has a lot less functionality. But that's usually taken care of after spending a few hours downloading apps
    11-12-15 03:56 PM
    Well out of the box it has a lot less functionality. But that's usually taken care of after spending a few hours downloading apps
    Exactly. If it's worse out of the box than BB10, consider that BB10 remains exactly what it is all of its life--while Android gets better with some customization.
    11-12-15 04:01 PM
    Thanks for the replies and recommendations, everyone. I'm finding out that I just have to relearn old habits. Some swiping just need to be turned back into virtual button mashing is all. I'm exploring the apps recommended.

Choice with apps really is great. It can just get a little overwhelming at times.
    11-12-15 09:46 PM
    If you want a phone a baby can use, get an iphone.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 09:58 PM
    I have to chuckle at the swipe confusion.

I have a Classic, a Playbook and an iPad.

Some days I'm trying to drive the iPad like a BB device and starting to go ape before I realize, "oh yeah, I have to double-punch the STUPID BUTTON"!

Y'all are not alone.
    11-13-15 09:42 AM
    Just out of pure curiosity, why the hate on Google apps? It seems like a lot of the issues you are having, like not being able to view photos, would have been solved by keeping some apps.

I think it's a little unfair to shut everything off then exclaim that things don't work right out of the box. There will be more growing pains as you jump from a linear OS progression to a new OS.

There's a beauty to Android that there is a ton of options out there for you. If you're looking for recommendations, I'd be happy to help. I'm a transplant long time Android user who's curious about BB10 and what it could do, but I've also had time to test apps and understand how to get a pretty slick device. I can help 'baby' you through some of the pains of Android! Ask away.
    Wow, your post is like a breath of fresh air on this forum. Thank you and welcome to CB!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-13-15 10:04 AM
    Just out of pure curiosity...

There's a beauty to Android that there is a ton of options out there for you...
    No no... I didn't shut everything off. I meant I opted out by not signing into anything that required an account; default apps are all still there. I'm still finding out how to get around the OS, where to load stuff to the SDCard in such a way I'll know where to find them again later, and which apps to add that fit my needs best. Finally figured out the back, home, and "task manager" button; but still swiping

BB10 had everything laid out for me, I just had to plug files into the pre-made folders instead of having to think up a new system. The default apps had all I needed; now I have to get apps that do more than what I want and avoid their extra functionalities. No more are the days I'll click on any link just to see where it goes... except when I'm back on the Passport.

There really are a LOT of options... so much so that I may end up feeling like I'll never get my money's worth of usage out of this device; like overpaying for unneeded services. An old tech dinosaur like me needs to know I'm making full use out of my device to justify my spending habits.
    11-16-15 10:10 PM
    No no... I didn't shut everything off. I meant I opted out by not signing into anything that required an account; default apps are all still there...

There really are a LOT of options... so much so that I may end up feeling like I'll never get my money's worth of usage out of this device; like overpaying for unneeded services. An old tech dinosaur like me needs to know I'm making full use out of my device to justify my spending habits.
    Ah! Gotcha!

Now the fun part begins! You get to figure it out. If anything is driving you crazy, seriously just ask. I don't remember what it was anymore, but I do remember parts of Android being a bear to figure out. Hopefully I can help you where you might need it.
    11-16-15 11:35 PM
    If you want a phone a baby can use, get an iphone.
    Simplicity is a good thing, no?
    11-16-15 11:44 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is a no nonsense, everything you need built in, mobile computing beast out the box!

The BlackBerry version of Android is pretty fun, I can totally see where BlackBerry is going with this, I just really hope they can bring over all the BlackBerry 10 'heat' to Android as time goes on, which I think is exactly the plan.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-17-15 12:40 AM