Google knows everything about you, even what time you take a dump!!!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    Is it watching me right now? Is this some kind of fetish?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 05:08 PM
    You know, the OP is rather insulting. Like as if none of us on BB10 are familiar with such technology.

Oh my gawd! You guys are just going to love Google Now! Give me a break
    The OP is enthusiastic, and why should he assume that people on a BB fan site would know about Google Now?

Life is short--relax and enjoy!
    thepolishguy likes this.
    10-16-15 05:38 PM
    I'm not really into personal assistants, so Google Now on a Blackberry Priv doesn't wow me.
    10-16-15 06:20 PM
    im using cortana on passport, seems to be similar, same card style and alll. i cant voice activate it though. but i just set it to a hotkey.

i dont like them much though, just tried it since microsoft opened the beta to public, i tried it to see the hype
    but i hate unified apps like that too if i want weather, i open that one app... i do t want to see emails,news,traffic if all i want to know is if it will rain. likewise, i do t care about it if i want to know the headlines
    10-16-15 06:54 PM
    What is even more enjoyable, is waiting on them and trying to figure out if they are speaking to you, or the fool on the other end of their ear bud.

Just don't do it.
    ...I would just walk up beside them and speak random words to confuse the stupid phone just for kicks...Society has become a bunch of slaves/zombies to their devices...walking around with headphones on with blank stares...laughable.

Posted on my Powerful Passport
    10-16-15 07:44 PM
    Then you'll probably find the sort of integration that Google Now has with Nest quite interesting (from an article on Android Central):

'[Through Google Now] Nest can now determine when you're coming home and adjust the temperature accordingly'

Read the full article here: Nest Thermostats get even smarter with Google Now integration | Android Central
    ...and by the same token, someone can hack into your Android connected house and have some fun at your expense...say fire up the AC in February to say 17C for when you come home...no thanks, after I found that Rogers Home Monitoring ran on Android...I scrapped the idea.

Posted on my Powerful Passport
    10-16-15 07:54 PM
    10-16-15 08:36 PM
    I'm waiting for someone to yell I public, okay Google call 911
    10-16-15 08:56 PM
    Some of the posts on what Google now does is downright scary. I don't think I'll use it. I mean it's great that Google and the nest thermostat know that you are almost home, so it turns up the heat. But, crap, really? That means Google knows where you are 24/7 and will 'track' um I mean, help you and assist you. Your boss books your flight and sends you an email. Google knows to wake you so you can hit the road at the proper time to get to the airport. When you get there it tells you your gate has changed and to go to the new gate. I can tell some of you like this and even find it beneficial. That's fine. But no way will I ever allow anyone, especially Google know what I'm doing, where I am, and allow it to control my house and life. Talk about big brother and skynet! This is it! Can this be turned off and disabled? Honestly, this sounds like the biggest invasion of privacy I've ever heard of. Maybe it's just me, but I call the shots in my life and where and whom I'm with or where I'm going is MY business, no one else's, especially a company that tries to collect all the data it can on me. I was really looking forward to getting the Priv, now I don't know. Please someone tell me that it can be disabled!

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    10-16-15 09:10 PM
    Some of the posts on what Google now does is downright scary. I don't think I'll use it. I mean it's great that Google and the nest thermostat know that you are almost home, so it turns up the heat. But, crap, really? That means Google knows where you are 24/7 and will 'track' um I mean, help you and assist you. Your boss books your flight and sends you an email. Google knows to wake you so you can hit the road at the proper time to get to the airport. When you get there it tells you your gate has changed and to go to the new gate. I can tell some of you like this and even find it beneficial. That's fine. But no way will I ever allow anyone, especially Google know what I'm doing, where I am, and allow it to control my house and life. Talk about big brother and skynet! This is it! Can this be turned off and disabled? Honestly, this sounds like the biggest invasion of privacy I've ever heard of. Maybe it's just me, but I call the shots in my life and where and whom I'm with or where I'm going is MY business, no one else's, especially a company that tries to collect all the data it can on me. I was really looking forward to getting the Priv, now I don't know. Please someone tell me that it can be disabled!
    I respect your position. It makes sense, and I think most folks should be aware and cautious.

One perspective that does come up is that these companies already do "know." The phone companies, BlackBerry, Google, Microsoft, Apple et al already manipulate and use the data anyway.

As with everything smartphone related, consumers are in the crosshairs.

But yes, it can be disabled.
    astrodan13 likes this.
    10-16-15 10:12 PM
    More cohesive article... was that translated?

Yep, like most hacks, hilariously impractical with little ROI, especially with voice trained assistants, no?

Headphones WITH mic + plugged in + not being used + device not being monitored + hacking equipment + proximity?

Cool pool room trick though.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    10-16-15 10:24 PM
    I respect your position. It makes sense, and I think most folks should be aware and cautious.

One perspective that does come up is that these companies already do "know." The phone companies, BlackBerry, Google, Microsoft, Apple et al already manipulate and use the data anyway.

As with everything smartphone related, consumers are in the crosshairs.

But yes, it can be disabled.
    Thanks for the insight on this. If I can turn it off, I'm ok with it. I totally understand how it can do some really great things, but I just don't know. I know I'm tracked on the Internet and I opt in for the benefit to help me search and get what I need. But for Google or anyone knowing my email, and filing and setting timers automatically for meetings and it knowing when I'm almost home to turn on the heat or ac, I'm just very wary of that. Where is this information going? Is it stored on a server or cloud? It's bad enough with the NSA and wireless carriers storing and having access to voice calls, texts and probably emails, do they get access to all the Google now data also? To me, I'm not just going to give them everything. They're going to have to work to get it. And to the people that say "if you're not doing anything wrong, why worry about it " that's not the point. At least in America, we have a constitution and bill of rights that are supposed to protect our privacy and rights to improper search and seizure. If I'm doing something wrong, get a warrant and wiretap warrant legally and then you can have all my information. Until then, my information is mine and no one else's. I served 12 years in the Armed Forces and was sworn to uphold the Constitution. It seems like the government doesn't abide by the same oath I took. That's just something to ponder with Google now. Does that information get stored and shared also?

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    10-16-15 10:55 PM
    More cohesive article... was that translated?
    Forbes Welcome
    Hackers Can Silently Control Siri From 16 Feet Away | WIRED
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-17-15 12:47 AM
    At the very least you can install Firefox (or Firefox Beta) and Adblock Plus or �Block inside Firefox so you won't experience ads on the web. It doesn't require root. I hope there will be root access or access to .hosts file to block ads in apps.
    I can already do this on every BBOS10 device I have.
    10-17-15 04:23 AM
    Can you remove the widget for it from the home screen?

Posted via CB10
    Yes

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L03 using Tapatalk
    10-17-15 08:53 AM
    Not that excited over Google now, but extremely excited about the ability to use Google maps natively! That's just one app I had the hardest time ditching when I made the move to BB10.
    10-17-15 09:47 AM
    Google who im going to replace that with Cortana lol kinda wish BB ditched google now i prefer cortana MS did really good there but google now has its strong points one of which is not recognizing a Trinidadian accent where cortana and Siri does better.
    10-17-15 10:26 AM
    Google who im going to replace that with Cortana lol kinda wish BB ditched google now i prefer cortana MS did really good there but google now has its strong points one of which is not recognizing a Trinidadian accent where cortana and Siri does better.
    i posted above somewhere, but you can install cortana on bb10 through the play store without waiting for priv... it isn't entirely "there", but I don't know if it is because it is beta or because bb10 runtime limitations
    10-17-15 04:49 PM
    it is different for one company to know 10 things than for 10 companies to each know one thing. That is the fundamental difference between using 'apps' and using 'Google Apps on an Android device with Google Mobile Services'

I'm far less apprehensive about 10 or 20 companies each having a small piece of the puzzle of Me but Google is building a pretty complete picture across multiple platforms.

Sure I use some Google services, but I like to mix it up so the picture they are able to acquire has lots of missing bits. As Google acquires more and more Internet companies etc. and GMS are integrated into more and more apps, this gets harder.

You couldn't pay me enough to use Google "fiber" that they're installing. That is really frikking scary.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    10-17-15 05:41 PM
    You couldn't pay me enough to use Google "fiber" that they're installing. That is really frikking scary.
    Google Voice for me. Surely, Google isn't breaking any wiretap laws with this product, right?
    10-17-15 05:53 PM
    it is different for one company to know 10 things than for 10 companies to each know one thing. That is the fundamental difference between using 'apps' and using 'Google Apps on an Android device with Google Mobile Services'

I'm far less apprehensive about 10 or 20 companies each having a small piece of the puzzle of Me but Google is building a pretty complete picture across multiple platforms.

Sure I use some Google services, but I like to mix it up so the picture they are able to acquire has lots of missing bits. As Google acquires more and more Internet companies etc. and GMS are integrated into more and more apps, this gets harder.

I'm apprehensive of each one. No sliding scale for me. They all suck in my book.

But I hear with regards to Fiber.
    10-17-15 06:22 PM
    I meant to add a link in my previous quote. Thanks for adding this one.
    10-17-15 06:24 PM
    These headlines all sound like the health scare ones. YOU could get flesh eating bacteria. YOU could get the brain eating amoeba. Statistically so small. Where are the massive "diseases" that are plaguing everyone so severely that people everywhere are getting "sick" (i.e., identity theft, stolen funds, etc.). You are already tracked by traffic cams, your grocery store membership card, insurance companies, auto companies, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 10-17-15 at 06:55 PM.
    10-17-15 06:40 PM
    I'm apprehensive of each one. No sliding scale for me. They all suck in my book.

But I hear with regards to Fiber.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention: I NEVER use those 'sign in with Facebook' or 'sign in with Google' things... I painstakingly maintain dozens and dozens of passwords.

Why do I want to make it even easier for Facebook to track me when I'm not even ON Facebook. Jebus, people using these services mostly have no idea what they're allowing Facebook to do.

The Onion said it best:

http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-f...ncys-cos-19753

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 06:45 PM
    Oh, and I forgot to mention: I NEVER use those 'sign in with Facebook' or 'sign in with Google' things... I painstakingly maintain dozens and dozens of passwords.

Why do I want to make it even easier for Facebook to track me when I'm not even ON Facebook. Jebus, people using these services mostly have no idea what they're allowing Facebook to do.

The Onion said it best:

http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-f...ncys-cos-19753

Posted via CB10
    I can imagine you thinking this is actually real.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    10-17-15 07:06 PM
129 ... 3456