Honestly?... I travel all over the country... From small towns to large cities. I have NEVER been bothered by it or even seen much of people utilizing these features in some sort of nuisance fashion.

It's a wonderful tool built into Android for quick information. We will all enjoy it
    LOL....this is Crackberry. The response from some will range from "it sucks" to "BlackBerry's version is better" all the way to "it is a gimmick."

Until BBRY does it, of course.
    10-15-15 09:18 PM
    Don't use assistant, unlikely to use Google now.
    10-15-15 10:07 PM
    My wife talks to SIRI all the time..... Want to know what time the Florida State game is on this weekend... no searching or typing needed, just ask Siri. If she wants to know the ingredients for Spinach Dip will at the store... SIRI knows. If we are out and about and she wants to know how badly Miami is losing... SIRI will have it. Other day we were traveling and need to know if there was a pharmacy around, and what time it opened. (what did we do back in the stone ages without a smartphone... just drive around?) And then sometime my granddaughter is with her and just wants to know "what does the fox say"...... Most cases Siri has the answer and not just web results...

Some of you might not see a need for it, some of you might not trust Apple or Google with your "search history", some of you feel stupid talking to your phone.... that's fine. For many others these gimmicks have become useful tools that many users have come to depend on.
    BUT in how many of those cases could the inquiry have just been typed in? I use talk to text if I need to answer a text when I'm driving. That's the only time I ever do it.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 10:24 PM
    I can't wait for the SKYNET release.
    I hear it's going to be a real blast.

Posted via CB10
    crucial bbq and heepman like this.
    10-15-15 10:24 PM
    LOL....this is Crackberry. The response from some will range from "it sucks" to "BlackBerry's version is better" all the way to "it is a gimmick."

As the post above yours shows, and most people who have used the BlackBerry assistant, Google now is just another take on it. What exactly is impressive about it? Saying OK Google? All right, some people find that useful, others don't find holding the assistant button any more complicated.
    10-15-15 10:27 PM
    OK Google: call my girlfriend (it calls her)

OK Google: what is the weather like in Mountain View? (speaks weather info for Mountain View). OK Google: navigate there. (navigates to Mountain View).

OK Google: take me back to my car. (Navigates me to where I parked -without me having to tell it where I parked in the first place.)

But the much more impressive part of GN is the things that it does for me without me even asking.

My boss put an appointment on my calendar last night. GN alerts me 15 minutes before I need to leave for that appointment, based in current traffic conditions. I never did anything.

My boss books a trip for me and I get my itinerary in my email. GN automatically parses it and presents the information to me as I need it, one step at a time:

• Leave for the airport
    • Go to Gate 26
    • Gate was changed to Gate 17
    • Shows electronic boarding pass
    • Routes me to my rental car at my destination.
    • Navigates me to my hotel.

All of this without any interaction needed on my part (oh, and I can optionally have it add all of this info to my Calendar - or not - as I choose).

And what we can do today is just the beginning...
    MO3iusONE, LazyEvul, 3Dee and 3 others like this.
    10-15-15 10:38 PM

I think _most_ would agree Google Now is good. It ties into lots of data sources and has lots of services.
    My problem with Google Now is the processing of the very well recognized speech is handled so very badly.

You need to know how to talk to it. You can't 'just talk to it'.
    Example : to see if a contact has sent you an sms...
    You can't say 'did I receive any messages from contact since yesterday? '
    You have to say ' search for sms from contact' and you can't add 'since yesterday' or you get a web search.
    'sms from contact' doesn't work either.

For movies...
    'what movies are playing in Chicago tonight' doesn't work, You have to say
    'movies in Chicago' if you add 'tonight ' or 'this weekend ' you get a lesser result with no tts.

I think we should give credit where credit is due but Google Now doesn't deserve praise for its crappy nlp. Which gets worse if it actually has a conversation with you. It only accepts narrow responses. Ie you can't say 'skip' or 'next' or 'skipping' if it wants you to say 'read it' or 'skip it'.

So it's a great tool with awesome services, excellent speech recognition and remedial nlp.
    Can't have it all I guess.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 10:38 PM
    I think _most_ would agree Google Now is good. It ties into lots of data sources and has lots of services.
    My problem with Google Now is the processing of the very well recognized speech is handled so very badly.

You need to know how to talk to it. You can't 'just talk to it'.
    Example : to see if a contact has sent you an sms...
    You can't say 'did I receive any messages from contact since yesterday? '
    You have to say ' search for sms from contact' and you can't add 'since yesterday' or you get a web search.
    'sms from contact' doesn't work either.

For movies...
    'what movies are playing in Chicago tonight' doesn't work, You have to say
    'movies in Chicago' if you add 'tonight ' or 'this weekend ' you get a lesser result with no tts.

I think we should give credit where credit is due but Google Now doesn't deserve praise for its crappy nlp. Which gets worse if it actually has a conversation with you. It only accepts narrow responses. Ie you can't say 'skip' or 'next' or 'skipping' if it wants you to say 'read it' or 'skip it'.

So it's a great tool with awesome services, excellent speech recognition and remedial nlp.
    Can't have it all I guess.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand why others cannot acknowledge this. It is obviously superior technology.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 10:42 PM

OK Google: what is the weather like in Mountain View? (speaks weather info for Mountain View). OK Google: navigate there. (navigates to Mountain View).

OK Google: take me back to my car. (Navigates me to where I parked -without me having to tell it where I parked in the first place.)

But the much more impressive part of GN is the things that it does for me without me even asking.

My boss put an appointment on my calendar last night. GN alerts me 15 minutes before I need to leave for that appointment, based in current traffic conditions. I never did anything.

My boss books a trip for me and I get my itinerary in my email. GN automatically parses it and presents the information to me as I need it, one step at a time:

• Leave for the airport
    • Go to Gate 26

All of this without any interaction needed on my part (oh, and I can optionally have it add all of this info to my Calendar - or not - as I choose).

The scary thing is when you get an email for an appointment you have and Google throws that appointment into your calendar with the date time and location (if applicable)

Here's what my Google Now currently try looks like. Usually when I do a Google search I open up Google now and this is what you see.

So usually Google now will let you know of any upcoming appointments. I just bought a house and I'll be inspecting it so there's a reminder.

If I scroll down a bit, there's the weather, these are my most common locations hence why it's giving me this info.

I've also Google certain stocks so Google gives me a daily update on those stocks, which is nice.

I also get news articles along shows on TV based on what I've Googled

I rarely use the voice features with Google now.

Anyways I'm sure this will vary from person to person so hopefully people enjoy using Google now, or not the choice is yours!
    Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MO3iusONE; 10-15-15 at 11:59 PM.
    10-15-15 11:47 PM
    This is Google Search not Google Now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you,
    I clearly do NOT pay attention to titles or look at posts before blabbering on about something irrelevant...lol.
    10-16-15 03:01 AM
    The scary thing is when you get an email for an appointment you have and Google throws that appointment into your calendar with the date time and location (if applicable)
    Yes, but this parsing of email only happens for your gmail account. I have the Inbox app for gmail and the Outlook app (from Microsoft) for my other emails. When you receive an email into your gmail account, the information is already there and it's quite useful for me to have calendar appointments added automatically.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-16-15 04:17 AM
    Or you might targeted by your health assurance to pay more every month because Google sold them info about your eating habits. So the health assurance company make more money out of you can provide you a better service.

Don't take this personally ofcourse. I don't know about your eating habits but want to say there's less innocent use of personal information than for ads.
    How do you do that strike through on your phone? Been trying to figure it out for ages.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    10-16-15 04:46 AM
    How do you do that strike through on your phone? Been trying to figure it out for ages.

HTML longhand:

[ s ][ /s ]

with no spaces around the word.
    10-16-15 05:36 AM
    As the post above yours shows, and most people who have used the BlackBerry assistant, Google now is just another take on it. What exactly is impressive about it? Saying OK Google? All right, some people find that useful, others don't find holding the assistant button any more complicated.
    Some great examples already given after your post, but one thing it does well is integrate with other services. Other apps tie into it. As someone pointed out, it pulls in articles in my interest range, updates selected stocks and more.
    10-16-15 05:43 AM
    I have an android phone. The first thing I did was disable Google now.

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L03 using Tapatalk
    Can you remove the widget for it from the home screen?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 06:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    The Google search widget? I remember before you could but I know you can on newest devices, I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    tufcustomer likes this.
    10-16-15 06:45 AM
    Google Now is still the number one thing I miss about having an Android device, mostly because I rely so heavily on public transit.

It always knew when I needed to leave to get to work, or home, it would remind me when the last bus of the day was, and when to leave so that I don't miss it. It was nice to be able to know exactly where to catch a bus to get to work in the event I was called in while I wasn't somewhere with familiar busses.

It was invaluable when I was in England in 2012 because in addition to local busses it let me know which Tubes to get to go places, and how late I could reasonably leave somewhere and still be able to get home.

I couldn't really care less about the other stuff Google Now does. If there was *just* a travel version of it I'd use that in a heartbeat.
    10-16-15 06:53 AM
    Or you might targeted by your health assurance to pay more every month because Google sold them info about your eating habits. So the health assurance company make more money out of you can provide you a better service.

Don't take this personally ofcourse. I don't know about your eating habits but want to say there's less innocent use of personal information than for ads.
    Actually,.. that sounds like a good use of such information.

If you smoke or you chose to eat unhealthily,.. then you will be a heavier burden on the health care resources of the community, so why shouldn't you pay more?

Like an aggressive driver with a record of incidents,.. they pay more than the defensive driver with a clean slate.

Except in health care,.. current habits are an even more direct indicator of future outcomes because you don't need to account for the teenage girl taking a selfie randomly rear ending you.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 07:11 AM
    BUT in how many of those cases could the inquiry have just been typed in? I use talk to text if I need to answer a text when I'm driving. That's the only time I ever do it.

Posted via CB10
    This isn't talk to text.

This is talk to interact. If you don't like it or need it, you can manually input your request. It's an option that some find very useful. Just like a camera, not everyone uses this feature.
    10-16-15 07:26 AM
    I don't understand why others cannot acknowledge this. It is obviously superior technology.

Posted via CB10

Did you even read what I wrote?

Yes Google Now is awesome technology, that pulls in all kinds of data and presents it in a timely easily usable manner. No one is contesting that.

All I'm saying is that GN's NLP when applied to speech input sucks.

Try all the examples I listed above. You can't deny they all fail badly, because they do. And they're pretty simple.

It doesn't mean GN sucks. It just means it sucks at understanding speech. There is no denying that. The recognition of speech is awesome too, it's just the 'understanding' part that needs serious work. Work I'm sure they're doing, but who knows when we'll see an actual improvement.

So you just have to learn how to talk to it and keep your requests simple.
    Or just don't talk to it and let it do what it does best.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 07:31 AM
    Yes Google Now is awesome technology, that pulls in all kinds of data and presents it in a timely easily usable manner. No one is contesting that.
    ...if you're willing to give your life over to Google. Those that aren't willing to do so can't reap these benefits, and that's a downside to some of these features: location-aware search that isn't logged on a server as personally identifiable information would be excellent, but without logging personally identifiable information, Google's business model collapses.

Google making money off bartering my eyes and ears and time and bandwidth sickens me. If they offered me a cut of the proceeds like my purchase-tracking 'points' credit card does, I might feel differently, but I choose to limit my involvement in enriching Google, and pay the price of not having all the features of Google Now available to me. I'm very happy with that decision.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-16-15 at 11:38 AM.
    crucial bbq likes this.
    10-16-15 08:09 AM
    That sounds awesome. But wait! Google will know where I like to eat! And my favorite sports team! Oh no! I may get targeted ads for coupons or fan gear! The horror of it all!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, the horror is right. At least with email I can choose which businesses I want to spam my inbox with coupons or not. And just because I went to a restaurant once does not mean I will be back a second time.

Well, OP might not be that far off seeing so many posts thinking that Google Now is just a voice assistant...
    This is a fan site. We all are here because we have higher-than-average interests not only with BlackBerry but with mobile phones in general. In reality we are handset geeks whether we know it or not. Point being we are already familiar with Google Now or don't care enough to become familiar with it. Not everyone who will get a Priv is stoked on Google you know.

It's not that some of us may have misconceptions over what Google Now may or may not be, it was how the OP presented the info.

• Leave for the airport
    • Go to Gate 26

This technology is truly fascinating. It really is. I also understand it has a time and place where it can be used as a great tool. Nothing wrong with that. The problem is in your last line, in particular as the more and more people begin to rely on such technology the dumber they become. Idiocracy is not that far off, I'm afraid.
    the1 likes this.
    10-16-15 11:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    It can be removed by using a custom launcher, such as Nova.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk
    10-16-15 12:21 PM
    It can be removed by using a custom launcher, such as Nova.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk
    Or paint.

10-16-15 01:05 PM
    There's something about my voice that gives voice recognition systems a nervous breakdown. It doesn't matter if I'm on a land line, a cell phone, or in my car.
    Me: Call John Brown.
    Computer: Call Cousin Władysław Przełomiec. Is that right?

I'm totally serious. Even the number of syllables is usually wrong in BOTH the first and last names.

The kicker? I'm a former ESL teacher of 20+ years' experience. I now work as an interpreter. Further, I've been told that my enunciation is quite good in English, Polish, and German.

I gave up years ago, lol.
    10-16-15 01:22 PM
129 ... 23456