Facebook knows more about a person than their spouse. Already been a study for it.
    Too true!! Facebook knows everything too!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    10-15-15 01:43 PM
    I don't get this voice thing. Maybe when you're driving or at home I guess.

Would be kinda weird if I did this while on the bus or train or any public place. The noise probably doesn't help in picking up your voice commands either.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 01:43 PM
    Google Now is one feature that I actually stay away from on my Android devices. This is where iOS implementation of intelligent Siri is much better. Instead of sending all of your information to the cloud like Google Now does, Siri actually only transmits minimal information and does the processing on your own device. Google Now is spyware galore. I won't be using it on the Priv just like I haven't been using it on any of my Android devices to date.
    will308 likes this.
    10-15-15 03:09 PM
    Google Now is one feature that I actually stay away from on my Android devices. This is where iOS implementation of intelligent Siri is much better. Instead of sending all of your information to the cloud like Google Now does, Siri actually only transmits minimal information and does the processing on your own device. Google Now is spyware galore. I won't be using it on the Priv just like I haven't been using it on any of my Android devices to date.
    Actually, IIRC, Siri had been tagged for collecting and sharing data. I'm fairly certain its been raising eyebrows.

I'd use it with the same care one uses with Android and BlackBerry.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 10-15-15 at 03:33 PM.
    10-15-15 03:18 PM
    You know, the OP is rather insulting. Like as if none of us on BB10 are familiar with such technology.

Oh my gawd! You guys are just going to love Google Now! Give me a break
    Well, OP might not be that far off seeing so many posts thinking that Google Now is just a voice assistant...
    hamsterwheel, Xaiux and jaydee5799 like this.
    10-15-15 03:31 PM
    Facebook knows more about a person than their spouse. Already been a study for it.
    That's scary! And another reason I stay off it.

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    10-15-15 03:54 PM
    my son loves to shout out OK GOOGLE in crowded areas, quite entertaining
    10-15-15 04:06 PM
    Actually, IIRC, Siri had been tagged for collecting and sharing data. I'm fairly certain its been raising eyebrows.

I'd use it with the same care one uses with Android and BlackBerry.
    I think he's referring to the intelligence features introduced in iOS 9, like suggesting apps and contacts or news that might interest you. Kind of like Google Now's cards, I suppose. iOS does a lot of the processing for these on-device, and anonymizes anything it has to send to the servers with an ID that is periodically cycled. It's a more privacy-conscious approach, although the functionality also falls short of what Google Now can do.

Siri still sends voice data back home like Google Now does, however. They need those data points to improve accuracy - though I think Apple might anonymize them, but don't quote me on it.
    10-15-15 04:08 PM
    How can people think this is a "gimmick"? There is nothing better than having your phone near you and making dinner, got your hands dirty and need to set a timer. Nothing is easier than saying "Ok google, set timer for one hour".. or if your in the car(with all the laws now about driving with your phone in your hand), you can say "Ok google, how do I get to 123 Main St."...

"Ok google, youtube (insert song here)"

Brilliant!
    This is Google Search not Google Now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 04:11 PM
    That sounds awesome. But wait! Google will know where I like to eat! And my favorite sports team! Oh no! I may get targeted ads for coupons or fan gear! The horror of it all!

Posted via CB10
    Or you might targeted by your health assurance to pay more every month because Google sold them info about your eating habits. So the health assurance company make more money out of you can provide you a better service.

Don't take this personally ofcourse. I don't know about your eating habits but want to say there's less innocent use of personal information than for ads.
    10-15-15 05:17 PM
    Or you might targeted by your health assurance to pay more every month because Google sold them info about your eating habits. So the health assurance company make more money out of you can provide you a better service.

Don't take this personally ofcourse. I don't know about your eating habits but want to say there's less innocent use of personal information than for ads.
    I was being sarcastic.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 05:23 PM
    I was being sarcastic.

Posted via CB10
    I know but still want to say there is more to do with personal information than for ads.
    And i don't even mention al kind of information might 'leak' to interested people/organisations sooner or later.
    10-15-15 05:26 PM

This is not how Google's information collection works. They sell targeted advertising based on demographics. So if a company wants to advertise to people aged 20-30 who eat a lot of pizza and live in Brooklyn, the company can buy such an ad - but they never find out who the people are that the ad is served to.

It's in Google's best interests to keep your information well-guarded. If Google were to hand out each individual's information, they'd go out of business pretty quickly. Once a company has your info, they can cut out the middle-man and serve ads directly to you - no reason to give Google any money after that.

Now that's not to say there aren't other privacy concerns with what Google does (especially those of mass surveillance), but the scenario you described is highly unlikely.
    10-15-15 05:43 PM
    Now that's not to say there aren't other privacy concerns with what Google does (especially those of mass surveillance), but the scenario you described is highly unlikely.
    I hope you are right.
    For the near future i think the scenario i described indeed is unlikely.
    However, we have to see how things are like in 5 or 10 years.
    We don't give up our privacy in one big jump but in small steps.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    10-15-15 05:56 PM
    Or, if the opportunity presents itself, you can mess with your buddies phone. All you have to do is say "Ok Google" and then let your imagination run wild.
    10-15-15 06:02 PM
    You guys that are so adamant about privacy will LOVE Google Now!
    10-15-15 06:10 PM
    Or, if the opportunity presents itself, you can mess with your buddies phone. All you have to do is say "Ok Google" and then let your imagination run wild.
    When setting up "Ok Google", you have to teach the device to recognize your voice in order to avoid exactly that situation. It'll ask you to read a few lines so it knows roughly what to listen for. Same goes for "Hey Siri" on iOS.
    southlander likes this.
    10-15-15 06:10 PM
    When setting up "Ok Google", you have to teach the device to recognize your voice in order to avoid exactly that situation. It'll ask you to read a few lines so it knows roughly what to listen for. Same goes for "Hey Siri" on iOS.
    Um, lol I've been using Android longer than 99.99999999% of the people on Earth. And no, it isn't quite THAT good yet. I mess with my boss's phone all the time. I have it search for pictures of kittens quite regularly. My pure Android device still has its moments too.
    10-15-15 06:24 PM
    Just look at the whole list. And it can't do it without me pressing the button to initiate it... so not the same.
    While the assistant required the button press, the Universal search does not. Just start typing and it will do what you ask - can't do that without a PKB.

Just two days ago a question came up at work and while one was talking to Siri and the other was opening their browser, I just typed "google blahblahblah" from my wallpaper screen and got the answer so much faster then both of them that they were dumbfounded.

I also use it to set timers, open conversations, find files, search for specific emails from my inbox, etc and it doesn't drain battery by constantly listening for a specific voice command.

I have had Android devices and I like some of the features of Google Now, but if I had to choose it or Universal Search and a PKB then I'm picking the Universal Search every single time .

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    10-15-15 06:31 PM
    I use this on my Z10 for months now. Little slow sometimes, but still faster than typing. I'm impressed how accurate is the voice recognition.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 07:00 PM
    One major problem.....it's Google.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 07:08 PM
    I doubt Id ever give Google open-ended permission to monitor everything registered on my mic. These phone assistants give me flashbacks from Star Trek 4 when Scotty got frustrated trying to talk to a 20th century computer.... :$
    Wait till you guys use Google Now on BlackBerry Priv-animated_if_siri.gif
    10-15-15 07:15 PM
    Honestly?... I travel all over the country... From small towns to large cities. I have NEVER been bothered by it or even seen much of people utilizing these features in some sort of nuisance fashion.

It's a wonderful tool built into Android for quick information. We will all enjoy it
    10-15-15 07:23 PM
    You know, the OP is rather insulting. Like as if none of us on BB10 are familiar with such technology.

Oh my gawd! You guys are just going to love Google Now! Give me a break
    I know. Ask Google now to do anything above basic and it bombs.

"Set a 7:00 alarm for Monday Tuesday and Thursday evenings"
    Bb assistant : Sets a recurring alarm for the correct days at 7pm
    GN : Web search

"Dial 856 555 double 25"
    BlackBerry assistant calls 8565552525
    GN: Web search

"Dial 856 triple 5 double 26"
    Bb assistant calls 8565552626
    GN: Web search of course

"Get me up in 45 minutes "
    Bb assistant : set alarm at T + 45 minutes
    GN: Web search

Anyone seeing a trend here?

"Put -name- on the line"
    BlackBerry assistant : calls -name-
    GN: Web search (woks if you say 'get' instead of 'put')

"Schedule a two hour and twenty minute meeting at 2am"
    BlackBerry assistant : schedules a 2:20 minute meeting at 2am
    GN: schedules a 1hr meeting at 2am

"Schedule a 2 hour and 20 minute meeting "
    BlackBerry assistant : asks for meeting time and title , then completes the task with a meeting of correct duration.
    GN: asks for the title then schedules a 1 hr meeting at T+2:20

At what point am I supposed to be impressed with Google Now as a voice assistant?

Google Now is okay for extremely simple requests... but as a speech recognition interface it has severe understanding limitations.

Lots of services and tied to lots of your data, which is awesome, but falls down on the understanding of the speech it recognizes so well.

It's actually fun to push the limits of these assistants.
    You should all see how complex a task your favorites can handle.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dguy123; 10-15-15 at 09:16 PM.
    -Puck- likes this.
    10-15-15 07:43 PM
    Not to beat a dead horse... but :-)

"Search YouTube for Taylor Swift "

BlackBerry assistant : goes to YouTube.com with search term 'Taylor Swift'

GN: launches YouTube app with no search term.

"Search for Batman on IMDb"
    BlackBerry assistant : searched IMDb for 'Batman'
    GN: Google searches for 'search IMDb for Batman'

"Search Wikipedia for Einstein"
    BlackBerry assistant : searches Wikipedia for 'Einstein '
    GN: Google search for 'search Wikipedia for Einstein'

Weird that BlackBerry assistant would spank Google Now at search requests, right?

I'll keep looking... there must be something Google Now does really well with reasonable depth of understanding.

Posted via CB10
    -Puck- likes this.
    10-15-15 08:17 PM
129 12345 ...