You don't have to speak to it. Works just as well with type input like BlackBerry Assistant
    10-15-15 09:09 AM
    You don't have to speak to it. Works just as well with type input like BlackBerry Assistant
    Good point.
    10-15-15 09:11 AM
    I like the cards Google now gets you, like traffic info going home, your favorite games schedule and scores etc.. all un prompted, once u set it up, and your interests that's it.
    10-15-15 09:22 AM
    I'm sure there is people using it, but I've never seen anybody use it. Maybe it's still socially awkward to use in public?
    I hear some execs at our office use Siri when dialing, easier for them to dial a representative via voice than shoot into contacts, take out their seeing glasses, scroll to the name, select the name, and dial the number.

Posted via CB10
    1magine likes this.
    10-15-15 10:01 AM
    Public no, but I'm perfectly fine with using it in my car, and if anything, required by law for the most part.
    that is more than likely the place I would use it as well
    10-15-15 10:04 AM
    My wife talks to SIRI all the time..... Want to know what time the Florida State game is on this weekend... no searching or typing needed, just ask Siri. If she wants to know the ingredients for Spinach Dip will at the store... SIRI knows. If we are out and about and she wants to know how badly Miami is losing... SIRI will have it. Other day we were traveling and need to know if there was a pharmacy around, and what time it opened. (what did we do back in the stone ages without a smartphone... just drive around?) And then sometime my granddaughter is with her and just wants to know "what does the fox say"...... Most cases Siri has the answer and not just web results...

Some of you might not see a need for it, some of you might not trust Apple or Google with your "search history", some of you feel stupid talking to your phone.... that's fine. For many others these gimmicks have become useful tools that many users have come to depend on.
    1magine likes this.
    10-15-15 10:05 AM
    10-15-15 10:14 AM
    I much prefer the BlackBerry Universal Search to any voice assistant, including Google Now or Cortana.

It is a godsend on PKB devices - just type what you want from the home screen - that's it. No button to hold, no app to load, no dictating, no incorrect translations launching the wrong thing, etc. If you want to Web search, just type "google yadayadayada" and it will launch the google results. Contacts, files, apps Internet, etc are all accessed.

Quicker, more accurate, and less annoying then talking to your phone and hoping it understands you over the background noise and you phrased the question correctly.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    10-15-15 10:15 AM
    Google Now is a intelligent personal assistant, you can enable it to work everywhere on Android and even when the phone is charging with the screen off. All you do to activate it is to say "OK Google".

Some of the cool features I've discovered: If you then tell it to "navigate to X", it will launch Google Maps and start navigation. You can ask stock prices and it will read stock prices back to you. If you're a sports fan, ask when your team is next playing and it will read out the date and time of the next game (in your timezone) and also the score of your team's most recent game. It can also do calculations for you and find stuff around you.

But there's much more you can do but I haven't tried it yet:
    List of Google Now voice commands

I'm excited for it on the Priv
    I owned about 20 (yes 20) Android devices and have never and will never ever use Google Now. Everyone who is using Google Now and complaining about NSA collecting data is just plain dumb and doesn't deserve better.

Google Now is the worst thing that can happen to privacy aware customers. Personally I use to root my Android devices, install a whitelist firewall and manually allow Google Play Services only when needed (for app updates for example). An easy and safe method. So I hope the PRIV gets root as soon as it's released

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 10:28 AM
    I much prefer the BlackBerry Universal Search to any voice assistant, including Google Now or Cortana.

It is a godsend on PKB devices - just type what you want from the home screen - that's it. No button to hold, no app to load, no dictating, no incorrect translations launching the wrong thing, etc. If you want to Web search, just type "google yadayadayada" and it will launch the google results. Contacts, files, apps Internet, etc are all accessed.

Quicker, more accurate, and less annoying then talking to your phone and hoping it understands you over the background noise and you phrased the question correctly.
    You can type into Google Now, if that's one's preference.
    10-15-15 10:35 AM
    I agree with you, I prefer a device where I can launch the browser and look for myself over talking to the device. If I'm driving or not able to do the search via my two thumbs then I wait. Rarely is there a search or text reply that can't wait until you are out of the car or can use both hands.

Posted via CB10
    Waiting? What kind of archaic BS is that? It's all about instant gratification right the f now!

Just kidding. I agree with you two, too.
    10-15-15 10:58 AM
    Uhh it's great for hands-free interaction when you're on the road driving. If you need to make a phone call, send a text or get directions on Google Maps. I'm not suggesting you use it in a packed bus or when surrounded by many other people.
    I have hands free in my car.
    10-15-15 11:03 AM
    You know, the OP is rather insulting. Like as if none of us on BB10 are familiar with such technology.

Oh my gawd! You guys are just going to love Google Now! Give me a break
    10-15-15 11:05 AM
    I'm sure there is people using it, but I've never seen anybody use it. Maybe it's still socially awkward to use in public?
    Yup. I can see it now. "OK Google, what are the symptoms of STDs?" Then when it responds, you friends and.or parents walk in the room. That would be really awkward..
    10-15-15 11:06 AM
    One of the great things about Google Now is that its uses are not just confined to searching for information. Case in point - picked up my phone yesterday, opened Google Now in one swipe, then said 'Okay Google, open Spotify, play No Rain by Blind Melon' perhaps one second later, the song was playing (I didn't have it on a playlist, cached etc). Its link to apps makes Google Now a bit like the BlackBerry Hub - an all in one home for operations rather than communication.
    Xaiux likes this.
    10-15-15 11:18 AM
    The other noteworthy point - people talk about the internet of things, and the scope for BlackBerry in this space. Although I'd welcome this, the truth is that the internet of things already exisits, and Google Now is starting to provide the interface and intelligent control centre for its operation through Google.
    1magine and jaydee5799 like this.
    10-15-15 11:20 AM
    Almost every case of real world attempts for me to use Siri or Google Now are epic fails: totally didn't get the words right. I object less to the idea of voice control than I object to the futility of having to learn how to talk to it so it actually does what you want... it's like learning a new dialect just to get a machine to do what you want, when you can use your fingers to do it directly. If it was less problematic, I'd probably use it... maybe I need to try again.

The other noteworthy point - people talk about the internet of things, and the scope for BlackBerry in this space. Although I'd welcome this, the truth is that the internet of things already exisits, and Google Now is starting to provide the interface and intelligent control centre for its operation through Google.
    I don't need an "internet of things". I need a "local home WiFi of things". And I need my "things" to do the hard "things" not the easy "things".

You've seen those commercials where they show you how you can make a meal in 10 minutes with some kitchen gadget... did you ever notice how all the ingredients are chopped up and measured into little ramicans (bowls) with nary a knife or cutting board or sink-full-of-dirty-dishes in sight? Well, that's what the "internet of things" is to me.

"Siri, sort my clothes into appropriate amounts to fill a clothes washing machine to capacity, being sure not to put my red cotton underpants in with my whites, and then put the clothes into the washing machine and add the detergent, and then start the material-appropriate wash cycle"

"I = can't = do = that = but = when = you = have = done = all = that = let = me = know = and = I = will = push = the = start = button = for = you = and = when = it = is = done = I = will = notify = you = so = you = can = move = all = the = heavy = wet = clothes = to = the = dryer = yourself = and = I = can = then = push = the = start = button = for = you."
    NtotheK and anon(7915689) like this.
    10-15-15 11:21 AM
    Almost every case of real world attempts for me to use Siri or Google Now are epic fails: totally didn't get the words right. I object less to the idea of voice control than I object to the futility of having to learn how to talk to it so it actually does what you want... it's like learning a new dialect just to get a machine to do what you want, when you can use your fingers to do it directly. If it was less problematic, I'd probably use it... maybe I need to try again.
    Voice assistants have come a very long way. I use Siri quite often in-car and rarely has it gotten anything wrong, no need to talk to it in any specific manner. Google Now is probably even better in this regard - with a larger userbase, they probably have more data points to use when improving the service.
    10-15-15 11:33 AM
    I don't need an "internet of things". I need a "local home WiFi of things". And I need my "things" to do the hard "things" not the easy "things".

You've seen those commercials where they show you how you can make a meal in 10 minutes with some kitchen gadget... did you ever notice how all the ingredients are chopped up and measured into little ramicans (bowls) with nary a knife or cutting board or sink-full-of-dirty-dishes in sight? Well, that's what the "internet of things" is to me.

"Siri, sort my clothes into appropriate amounts to fill a clothes washing machine to capacity, being sure not to put my red cotton underpants in with my whites, and then put the clothes into the washing machine and add the detergent, and then start the material-appropriate wash cycle"

"I = can't = do = that = but = when = you = have = done = all = that = let = me = know = and = I = will = push = the = start = button = for = you = and = when = it = is = done = I = will = notify = you = so = you = can = move = all = the = heavy = wet = clothes = to = the = dryer = yourself = and = I = can = then = push = the = start = button = for = you."
    Then you'll probably find the sort of integration that Google Now has with Nest quite interesting (from an article on Android Central):

'[Through Google Now] Nest can now determine when you're coming home and adjust the temperature accordingly'

Read the full article here: Nest Thermostats get even smarter with Google Now integration | Android Central
    10-15-15 11:41 AM
    Universal Search and the BlackBerry Assistant are fine, but they can't do near as much as Google Now and Siri from the examples everyone is posting.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 12:53 PM
    How can people think this is a "gimmick"? There is nothing better than having your phone near you and making dinner, got your hands dirty and need to set a timer. Nothing is easier than saying "Ok google, set timer for one hour".. or if your in the car(with all the laws now about driving with your phone in your hand), you can say "Ok google, how do I get to 123 Main St."...

"Ok google, youtube (insert song here)"

Brilliant!
    10-15-15 01:01 PM
    The goal of Google Now is to operate like the Star Trek computer. In fact when proto- Google Now was part of 'X' division of Google it was called 'Project Majel'. It's why Google has invested billions into AI, Deep Learning and robotics. That and the beginning of SKYNET.
    1magine and will308 like this.
    10-15-15 01:34 PM
    I can't wait for the SKYNET release.
    winscott63 likes this.
    10-15-15 01:37 PM
    How can people think this is a "gimmick"? There is nothing better than having your phone near you and making dinner, got your hands dirty and need to set a timer. Nothing is easier than saying "Ok google, set timer for one hour".. or if your in the car(with all the laws now about driving with your phone in your hand), you can say "Ok google, how do I get to 123 Main St."...

"Ok google, youtube (insert song here)"

Brilliant!
    But BlackBerry assistant can do all that...
    10-15-15 01:39 PM
    But BlackBerry assistant can do all that...
    Just look at the whole list. And it can't do it without me pressing the button to initiate it... so not the same.
    10-15-15 01:42 PM
129 1234 ...