I know I'm late to the Priv party...but I've basically been an iOS person (I know...I know...) since my BlackBerry days, and only got comfy with BB10 as it was slowing down. I've grown bored with iOS, and decided to finally try a Priv once things had settled down a bit. I'm on the Verizon network, which means (for now) there is no MM update...and this is my first device ever with the Android operating system, which makes me a little nervous.

I should have my VZW Priv in my hands next Monday...but I'm a little hesitant as to how to start things, and what things I have to do to switch from iPhone to the Priv. Can any of you help a brother out, and tell me how to get everything set up...and what (if anything) to avoid?

Thanks!
    06-16-16 05:15 PM
    One big thing that most former iPhone users miss is that, in order to receive SMS messages on your new Android (or BB 10) device, you need to turn off iMessage on device before switching over your sim card. Or, de-register it: New Apple iMessage de-registration tool lets you switch to Android, reclaim your SMS | iMore

Since you switch devices so often, you probably have most things in the cloud. That's half the battle. You should probably look at this as well. http://www.imore.com/how-deactivate-find-my-iphone

It seems that most of the preparation is actually cutting the iOS chains to be able to use another device...
    Gebo, bluesqueen23 and andy957 like this.
    06-16-16 05:53 PM
    first things you could do are:

- setup the device as per the normal first run setup
    - go into settings by dragging your finger down from the top, touch the little gear icon, then go down to "about phone", and then check for "system updates"
    - check google play store for all related app updates (especially the specific BlackBerry apps)
    - download the autoloader that matches your device (if or when it is available for Verizon, just in case you need it)
    - disable everything you do not need or want

Here is what i disabled or uninstalled on my Priv:

- BlackBerry Help
    - Content Transfer
    - Gmail (use BlackBerry Hub)
    - Google Chrome (use another browse, like Firefox)
    - Google App
    - Google Japanese Input (unless you need this)
    - Google Pinyin Input (unless you need this)
    - Google Play Movies (use Kodi, VLC)
    - Google Play Music (use BlackPlayer, Kodi, VLC)
    - Google Zhuyin Input (unless you need this)
    - Google Hangouts
    - Google Messenger (use Signal)
    - Google News & Weather
    - Google Photos (use QuickPic)
    - WatchDox (unless you subscribe)
    - YouTube (use Firefox, or whatever browser)

i had no major issues with lollipop and still have no major issues with marshmallow too, in fact the only issue i actually noticed was when trying to initiate a search by starting to type on the physical keyboard the first one or two letters are missed and it starts a misguided search without the full word(s)

i have only had an overheat warning 2 times since launch - and i was using the device in an extreme fashion during both of those 2 incidents - and it did not do anything - just warned me

here is where Priv autoloaders are located (again, just in case, you probably won't actually need one):

BlackBerry Priv autoloaders now available for download | CrackBerry.com

here is how to reload the Priv OS:

How to reload the OS on your BlackBerry Priv | CrackBerry.com

anybody else have things they did and want to add those ideas? go for it bros and broettes - what!? lol, just jokes eh
    Gebo likes this.
    06-16-16 05:59 PM
    One big thing that most former iPhone users miss is that, in order to receive SMS messages on your new Android (or BB 10) device, you need to turn off iMessage on device before switching over your sim card. Or, de-register it: New Apple iMessage de-registration tool lets you switch to Android, reclaim your SMS | iMore

Since you switch devices so often, you probably have most things in the cloud. That's half the battle. You should probably look at this as well. How to deactivate Find My iPhone on iPhone, iPad, and Mac | iMore

It seems that most of the preparation is actually cutting the iOS chains to be able to use another device...
    You are 100% correct. I had problems with group messaging coming from iOS to BB10. I don't know if this will apply to your situation but it may be worth noting. I am on Verizon and although I deactivated iMessage and FaceTime on both my iPhone and iPad, I still could not get group messages from my family as they were using iPhones. When I sent a group message their responses all came back as individual texts and not in the group. What we had to do was change some settings and my family had to go through their iMessages on each of their phones that had included me and delete those old messages. With Verizon's tech help, we determined that their iPhones kept trying to send texts to me in the iMessage format even though I had deleted (de-registered) my accounts through the website you mention and my iPhone. We erased all old group texts and then I sent a group text from my Classic and all is well. Like I said, this may not apply to you. I know I have struggled for 2 weeks and just got my group texting solved yesterday. You can read my 2 posts in OS10 forums.
    06-16-16 06:19 PM
    i love the kitty in OP profile picture - hilarious
    06-16-16 06:30 PM
    sorry my post didn't address the imessage thing - i have no knowledge of imessage or apple's walled garden, LOL
    06-16-16 06:31 PM
    I switch back and forth between a Priv and my iPhone 6S. I'm not convinced to completely dump the iPhone until Marshmallow hits the Priv. I'm still dealing with some overheating and battery life issues (although both have improved over the last few months).

I usually turn iMessage off but I often forget to also. It hasn't caused me a problem yet but I do agree that it should be turned off.

Keep us posted on your experiences. I really like and enjoy the Priv but it still has a couple bugs to work out. Don't get me wrong though, my iPhone is by NO means perfect! I prefer the Priv between the 2.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    06-16-16 10:05 PM
    I keep switching back and forth as well. But, I keep my iMessage turned off so that I don't have to cause my Mom pain with messaging me. She's in her 60's and has only used an iPhone. So, I try to keep it simple and easy for her.
    mmcclure0453 likes this.
    06-16-16 11:23 PM
    I keep switching back and forth as well. But, I keep my iMessage turned off so that I don't have to cause my Mom pain with messaging me. She's in her 60's and has only used an iPhone. So, I try to keep it simple and easy for her.
    That's one of the reasons I try to make sure iMessage is off when I change. My dad uses and iphone and always has. He'll be 75 this month. He will call and send a few text messages with it and that's about it. It's about the oldest iphone you can get. He just refuses to upgrade. Had a heck of a time getting him to use it over an old flip phone. I try to make it so that my phone changing doesn't affect him too much.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    06-17-16 09:13 AM