View Poll Results: Would you prefer Android or BB10 on Slider?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Pure" Android

12 9.60%
  • BB10

86 68.80%
  • Android + BB10 "Skin"

27 21.60%
10-21-15 02:19 AM
196 ... 45678
tools
    I prefer BB10, cuz I found it rather dumb pushing a "home" button every time I want to use another app!
    08-12-15 05:45 PM
    I prefer BB10, cuz I found it rather dumb pushing a "home" button every time I want to use another app!
    That's strange, with BB10, I always found it dumb to have to perform a gesture every time I wanted to use another app.

One isn't better than the other. If anything, it takes more effort and time to perform the gesture than it does to hit the button. Just because it is different doesn't mean it is better.

WebOS, MeeGo and BB10 all forced gestures onto their users. What do all three of those platforms have in common again?

Android and iOS had gestures before BB10 even existes. They could ditch the home button and move to a home gesture at anytime, but why do that? Having a home button sure doesn't seem to be hurting either of those platforms sales figures any.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    08-12-15 06:14 PM
    I would vote for BB10 OS + Google Play Services fully running, I would love to have Google Drive fully running on my device + some other apps that need Google Play and can't be side loaded
    08-12-15 06:26 PM
    Bb10, I want a android os I will go with another phone. Nuff said.
    08-12-15 06:28 PM
    That's strange, with BB10, I always found it dumb to have to perform a gesture every time I wanted to use another app.

One isn't better than the other. If anything, it takes more effort and time to perform the gesture than it does to hit the button. Just because it is different doesn't mean it is better.

WebOS, MeeGo and BB10 all forced gestures onto their users. What do all three of those platforms have in common again?

Android and iOS had gestures before BB10 even existes. They could ditch the home button and move to a home gesture at anytime, but why do that? Having a home button sure doesn't seem to be hurting either of those platforms sales figures any.
    Course, not, especially when the home button keeps wearing out and are forced to buy another phone to replace it. Lol
    08-12-15 06:29 PM
    As long as we are in fantasy land (as the OP said, the opinions here won't change what is coming) I would prefer to see a new Blackberry OS...
    But to answer the question...Sort of...maybe BlackBerry will take the HTC route, and produce phones for 2 OS...so have a BB10 handset and an Android Edition...If I were interested in a slider, which I am not, I would go for BB10...

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 06:56 PM
    Bb10 please .. but with google stuff.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 07:39 PM
    Bb10 please .. but with google stuff.

Posted via CB10
    It's one or the other.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    extisis likes this.
    08-12-15 07:57 PM
    A slider with BB10 all the way. I want nothing to do with Android OS... Been there Done that.
    lift and extisis like this.
    08-12-15 08:00 PM
    It's one or the other.
    As I described in another thread, with work BlackBerry could get Google Mobile Services running on BB10 (read Android-CDD.pdf for Lollipop). It would require minor changes to the existing UX (would be the same for a skinned Android/Linux) to be able to pass the Android CTS without requiring that the UI be running on top of Android. ART could be a BB10 app with improved integration than what exists now which would allow out of box experience of Android. But would permit the device owner to remove as much Google stuff as wanted:
    1. Remove the Google Play app and GMS is gone and continue to use the Amazon App store.
    2. Remove the Amazon App store and continue to use the various methods for sideloading; like Snap.
    3. Remove ART and you have a pure BB10 device.

If you read the Android-CDD.pdf you will not find an single mention of the OHA nor on the page that links to it (not enough posts to provide the link).

Things have changed with Android 5.x. Lets hope BlackBerry proves this to be true.
    Last edited by DonHB; 08-16-15 at 03:00 PM.
    08-12-15 08:03 PM
    given how BB10 failed to adopt with consumers, it would be unwise and too costly to develop a new OS. it took lots of time, money, and effort for the development of a mediocre product. They dont have the resource to come up with a new OS and their talent pool keeps getting poached by the likes of apple, google, msft, amazon just to name a few...

So what is the next best thing? adopt a free OS and make it better! plus it comes with millions of apps readily available to download.
    08-12-15 08:40 PM
    So what is the next best thing? adopt a free OS and make it better! plus it comes with millions of apps readily available to download.
    Coming soon to a Slider near you.
    08-12-15 09:13 PM
    I prefer BB10 OS. It seems much easier to get Google to allow access to Google play services instead of creating a new UI or skin for the android OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 09:23 PM
    I love me some BB10, but I think Android with a heavy...heavy skin is the way to go.

Google Play services without switching likely won't happen, Play Store access won't happen, and major native app development for BB10 for things like Netflix (to name one that came to mind) won't just miraculously begin.

In an environment where apps and compatibility are everything to people BlackBerry is looking for the fastest means to correct their situation. Yes there are work arounds most of us are using, but people want devices that are ready to go out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 12:57 AM
    I prefer BB10 OS. It seems much easier to get Google to allow access to Google play services instead of creating a new UI or skin for the android OS.

Posted via CB10
    How so? How does one convince Google to hand over a part of their core OS for another OS to use to compete against them.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 12:59 AM
    So far I know of at least 4 people who at least claim to have used the slider. 2 guys on Reddit, 2 respected Crackberry members. At least one of the guys on Reddit claims that it is running BB10. While not definite proof, I'm convinced enough that there's going to be two versions of the slider, or at the very least that you'll get your choice of OS upon first boot of the device. My understanding is also that BlackBerry World will be available on the Android version of Venice Slider.

Keep your "Chen" up, guys.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-13-15 07:17 AM
    So far I know of at least 4 people who at least claim to have used the slider. 2 guys on Reddit, 2 respected Crackberry members. At least one of the guys on Reddit claims that it is running BB10. While not definite proof, I'm convinced enough that there's going to be two versions of the slider, or at the very least that you'll get your choice of OS upon first boot of the device. My understanding is also that BlackBerry World will be available on the Android version of Venice Slider.

Keep your "Chen" up, guys.
    My interpretation of the line guy is that he could differentiate between Android and the skin that will be on it. If I'm correct in this assumption, that's a damn good skin.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 09:00 AM
    BB10, if not I will go back to a cheap flip phone. The majority of my use is phone calls.

Posted using 10.2.1, thankfully not 10.3.2
    08-13-15 09:10 AM
    BlackBerry has safety and true multitasking, similar to how webOS had it, Android or even iOS are not close at all to this

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 09:22 AM
    I'm not really sure at this point. I think the partnership to create the Venice slider is the first step. Hopefully there is more to this partnership than just creating a phone for Android OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 10:28 AM
    BBOS, please. I move from Android and Windows Phone because of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 10:48 AM
    It's one or the other.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    What do you mean? There must be a deal that can be done. Right? Im sure that it is all only a matter of money.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 12:19 PM
    It would grab more attention with android. I like bb10 but I would buy it with android. They should do both.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 12:23 PM
    I like the slider!!!! (Though personally I'm hoping for a flip phone..) But it has to be BB10. No Android please. The BB10 being able to run some Android apps is enough for me.
    08-13-15 01:32 PM
    BB10...the os just makes sense to me. It works. I have no desire to switch to something I know for a fact I will dislike...

Sent from my Passport
    08-13-15 08:03 PM
196 ... 45678