I can't for the life of me get my volume past 50% when listening to my music(using Google Play Music), with my headphones!

I used to get the message about high levels, but now the message doesn't even pop up and I can't get the volume past 50.

Normally wouldn't matter, but I was running a lawnmower for an hour yesterday and it would have been great it I could have actually heard the music I was playing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted via CB10 for my sexy Priv
    08-28-16 10:04 AM
    There's a recent post how to fix this. Keep searching and you'll find the step by step.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-28-16 11:04 AM
    CAUTION. Increasing the volume to overcome loud background noise can definitely cause hearing loss. I remember having a bicycle wind trainer that was very noisy. I would sit in front of the tv and use it. When I stopped training I would find the tv volume impossibly and painfully loud. It is not good for hearing.

Sorry that I don't keep attribution info but here's what I captured:

"Headphone volume

Okay, I have no idea what has caused this but found a solution. Over the last couple of days, a couple apps had given me the screen overlay message. So that prompted me to look in this area. What worked for me:

1) Go to settings, Apps
    2) Click the settings wheel in the top right corner
    3) At the next screen, click Draw Over Other Apps
    4) Click the three dots in the top right corner and click Show System
    5) Then scroll down the app list and find SystemUi and toggle to Yes

This fixed it for me as when my headphones are plugged in and I increase the volume, the warning prompt comes up and I can turn it up louder."

I could not find this on my Priv!
    SnOw_Ox and anon(5248846) like this.
    08-28-16 11:10 AM
    CAUTION. Increasing the volume to overcome loud background noise can definitely cause hearing loss. I remember having a bicycle wind trainer that was very noisy. I would sit in front of the tv and use it. When I stopped training I would find the tv volume impossibly and painfully loud. It is not good for hearing.

"Headphone volume

Okay, I have no idea what has caused this but found a solution. Over the last couple of days, a couple apps had given me the screen overlay message. So that prompted me to look in this area. What worked for me:

1) Go to settings, Apps

This fixed it for me as when my headphones are plugged in and I increase the volume, the warning prompt comes up and I can turn it up louder."

I think it is feature on MM 'system ui tuner'
    FF22 likes this.
    08-28-16 11:17 AM

"Headphone volume

1) Go to settings, Apps

Thanks I'll try that.

**Update: it worked!! The setting was def in system ui/overlay. It had been turned off for some reason**

Posted via CB10 for my sexy Priv
    Last edited by jmo712; 08-28-16 at 11:59 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-28-16 11:38 AM
    Think hearing protection, Having to wear hearing aids sucks. Be smart!

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 06:55 PM
    Think hearing protection, Having to wear hearing aids sucks. Be smart!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks but I fixed the issue long ago. But hey, you try and keep the volume at 50% while cutting the grass..you won't hear a thing!!!
    12-13-16 07:13 PM
    Thanks but I fixed the issue long ago. But hey, you try and keep the volume at 50% while cutting the grass..you won't hear a thing!!!
    That's the idea behind not allowing the volume to go higher. Trying to overcome the lawn mower noise, you would turn up the music volume too high and easily reach permanent hearing loss volume. The human ear is not intended to be subjected to volumes high enough to overcome certain background sounds. You need noise cancelling headphones and even then you can only do so much when a jet engine is blasting away.
    12-13-16 08:54 PM
    That's the idea behind not allowing the volume to go higher. Trying to overcome the lawn mower noise, you would turn up the music volume too high and easily reach permanent hearing loss volume. The human ear is not intended to be subjected to volumes high enough to overcome certain background sounds. You need noise cancelling headphones and even then you can only do so much when a jet engine is blasting away.
    Now if you only had a jet engine on that leaf blower. You could be a hero and take care of your whole neighborhood. You just couldn't hear the applause.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-14-16 01:07 AM
    I have, well, had a Greenworks Blower. Uses the same batteries as their twin-blade lawnmower and their chain saw. Both of which I also have. The blower is in possession of the beneficent neighbor who took care of my leaves this season. I will need it back for the batteries, if not the blower. Unless she proposes to be the permanent guardian of leaves.

But the Hearing Issue is a serious one. So many people max out the volume of the headphones to overcome noise that is already way too loud. They are doing permanent damage to one sensitive sense.

"Continual exposure to any sound above 85 decibels can cause hearing loss. If you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else, the surrounding sound totals more than 85 decibels.

Eight hours of exposure to 90 decibels or more can cause damage, and any exposure to sounds over 140 decibels cause immediate damage.

At 90 decibels, a hair dryer and lawn mower can cause damage after just 2 hours-which is non-threatening for most of us (unless you have a big lawn or Rapunzel-esque hair). But it's very threatening for hairdressers and landscapers who are exposed to those noises all the time. And the louder it gets, the less time it takes to inflict damage. A rock concert, at 110 decibels, can cause permanent hearing loss in 45 minutes (but 3 minutes is considered the safe maximum for continuous 100-decibel noise)." https://www.sharecare.com/health/hea...s-hearing-loss

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=volume+cau...&t=ffab&ia=web
    misterabrasive likes this.
    12-14-16 08:43 AM
    I have, well, had a Greenworks Blower. Uses the same batteries as their twin-blade lawnmower and their chain saw. Both of which I also have. The blower is in possession of the beneficent neighbor who took care of my leaves this season. I will need it back for the batteries, if not the blower. Unless she proposes to be the permanent guardian of leaves.

But the Hearing Issue is a serious one. So many people max out the volume of the headphones to overcome noise that is already way too loud. They are doing permanent damage to one sensitive sense.

"Continual exposure to any sound above 85 decibels can cause hearing loss. If you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else, the surrounding sound totals more than 85 decibels.

Eight hours of exposure to 90 decibels or more can cause damage, and any exposure to sounds over 140 decibels cause immediate damage.

At 90 decibels, a hair dryer and lawn mower can cause damage after just 2 hours-which is non-threatening for most of us (unless you have a big lawn or Rapunzel-esque hair). But it's very threatening for hairdressers and landscapers who are exposed to those noises all the time. And the louder it gets, the less time it takes to inflict damage. A rock concert, at 110 decibels, can cause permanent hearing loss in 45 minutes (but 3 minutes is considered the safe maximum for continuous 100-decibel noise)." https://www.sharecare.com/health/hea...s-hearing-loss

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=volume+cau...&t=ffab&ia=web
    You have officially made this topic a snooze fest lol. Anyone that wants to turn the volume up past 50, or anyone that wants to put a stereo system in their car and crank it up, has obviously weighed their hearing options. To each's own.. I'm not saying jack it up to 100, but at least 60% is my preference when doing yard work.
    12-14-16 09:34 AM
    You have officially made this topic a snooze fest lol. Anyone that wants to turn the volume up past 50, or anyone that wants to put a stereo system in their car and crank it up, has obviously weighed their hearing options. To each's own.. I'm not saying jack it up to 100, but at least 60% is my preference when doing yard work.
    No, actually the people that do that haven't given it one milisecond of thought. They just don't care, now. But they will later on.
    FF22 and Wezard like this.
    12-14-16 09:52 AM
    No, actually the people that do that haven't given it one milisecond of thought. They just don't care, now. But they will later on.
    And they'll either be upset when they have to pay for their hearing aids (and batteries!) or will expect everyone else (aka taxpayers) to pay for them.
    12-16-16 10:19 PM
    And they'll either be upset when they have to pay for their hearing aids (and batteries!) or will expect everyone else (aka taxpayers) to pay for them.
    12-16-16 10:19 PM
    Actually, Medicare does not care if you can hear or eat (teeth)!!!
    12-17-16 12:22 AM
    I still cannot get the volume past 50% even with the draw over app turned on for System UI.

I play music with the Spotify app but also find every other app limited to 50% colume as soon as I plug headphones im. It is very annoying to not be able to increase the volume when for example riding the Bus and therefore having a fair amount of noise around me. Someone any help?

Aside that I enjoy the Priv. It would be very sad having to change phones just because of something so little but so important.

Regards
    Jörn
    Attached Thumbnails Volume Stuck at 50%-screenshot_20170420-102008.jpg  
    Last edited by 8Federaljoe; 04-21-17 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Wrong wording drive=draw
    skome likes this.
    04-20-17 03:27 AM
    That sounds like a problem to contact your carrier about. But do you have a case on your phone? If so, try taking it off. It may be the culprit.
    04-20-17 08:31 AM
    Stupid question: What is my carrier?
    04-20-17 08:55 AM
    Carrier is what network you are on. Did you purchase thru them or a third party seller? If you purchased thru shopblackberry, then contact them.
    04-20-17 10:10 AM
    I still cannot get the volume past 50% even with the drive over app turned on for System UI.

I play music with the Spotify app but also find every other app limited to 50% colume as soon as I plug headphones im. It is very annoying to not be able to increase the volume when for example riding the Bus and therefore having a fair amount of noise around me. Someone any help?

Aside that I enjoy the Priv. It would be very sad having to change phones just because of something so little but so important.

Regards
    Jörn
    I don't see that screen. But that's that irritating "draw over" stuff that has to be changed somehow.
    04-20-17 12:53 PM
    I still cannot get the volume past 50% even with the drive over app turned on for System UI.

Regards
    Jörn
    Go to Settings, Apps, 3 dots on top right, Reset App Preferences.

This fixed it for me.
    FF22 and bluesqueen23 like this.
    04-20-17 09:09 PM
    Tried it, still capped at 50%. This is such a strange problem to have. And very confusing that there are so many different fixes with individual success? I am quite out of options.
    04-21-17 02:37 AM
    Carrier is what network you are on. Did you purchase thru them or a third party seller? If you purchased thru shopblackberry, then contact them.
    I actually got the phone through a family member. Can this habe anything to do with this?
    04-21-17 02:39 AM
    Okay, here is what fixed it for me. My profile on the BlackBerry was secondary to the previous owners profile. Logging into that, the message about accepting raising the volume in potentially harmful ranges was popping up. It did not do that on my secondary profile. So accepting that I now could raise the volume in ky profile too.

So I just found a piece to the puzzle and am happy now. Thank you for your help and attention people.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-21-17 02:47 AM
    Good find and glad the volume issue is cleared.
    04-21-17 03:08 PM
26 12