Hey folks,

Quick question.

Whatever happened to the video calling that was built into the phone app? I am not talking about a third party app or anything. It used to be in the native phone app.
    I used to be able to dial my wife's number (Android device) and there used to be two options. Video or voice call. Now there is only voice.
    However, on her Note 5, there are still the two options, but when she tries to video call me, once I answer it defaults to voice call.
    Sure there is BBM video and other options out there, but having it in the phone app was handy every once and a while. BBM Video is great if I am on wi-fi only.

Also, not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I am on the Beta releases.

Thanks

Cheers
    07-14-16 09:59 PM
    You're talking about viLTE (video over LTE?) Which carrier are you on?

Anyway...what you're describing sounds like a carrier-supported feature. OS builds have to have carrier green lighting for such features to work, so it's likely that the beta broke it. But when I say "these features," I'm talking about voLTE (voice) and WiFi calling.
    07-14-16 10:23 PM
    Ooo gotcha. That makes sense.

I am with Rogers Wireless. I am pretty sure it's whenever I downloaded the Beta that I noticed it being gone.

Perhaps someone with Rogers wireless that isn't on the Beta would be able to tell if they have it or not.
    07-14-16 10:33 PM
    Ooo gotcha. That makes sense.

I am with Rogers Wireless. I am pretty sure it's whenever I downloaded the Beta that I noticed it being gone.

Perhaps someone with Rogers wireless that isn't on the Beta would be able to tell if they have it or not.
    Same as you as well I'm also a Rogers Wireless customer and it was I believe some Rogers firmware that gave you that feature.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)running Android 6.0.1
    07-23-16 10:16 AM
    I believe that both you & your wife were using Samsung phones? If it is true then it is not a carrier supported features in a way. All Samsung phones come with built-in video call features and this is only applicable between Samsung phones. It's still there if you want to use it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-24-16 03:14 AM
    Use BBM Video when using you're using PRIV

Posted via handy dandy PRIV
    07-24-16 05:18 AM
    Verizon has it as one of their advanced calling features. These features are not manufacturer specific but are options for voice over LTE. Currently the Verizon Priv does not have it, it says 'available via a future software update' on the Verizon website. Hopefully it will be part of MM release if we ever get it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Verizon Blackberry Priv
    07-24-16 07:46 AM
    I believe that both you & your wife were using Samsung phones?
    This thread is in the Priv sub-forum. The OP has a Priv, his wife a Samsung phone.
    vpblaze likes this.
    07-25-16 01:27 PM
    I had the displeasure of using the S7 edge but getting it exchanged from ATT to get the Priv. the video dialer is not available on the MM Priv?
    07-25-16 03:41 PM
    Well its looking like the Video calling is back on the latest Beta build. Just tried it with my wife and it's working. Video Calling-uploadfromtaptalk1470769086262.png
    08-09-16 01:58 PM
    Yep. I'm on AT&T. One phone Samsung (note 4) and the other a Priv. They got Marshmallow within a day of each other. Samsung has video and WiFi calling, Priv doesn't. I think it is just up to the carrier, which phones have it activated.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-11-16 12:29 AM
    You're talking about viLTE (video over LTE?) Which carrier are you on?

Anyway...what you're describing sounds like a carrier-supported feature. OS builds have to have carrier green lighting for such features to work, so it's likely that the beta broke it. But when I say "these features," I'm talking about voLTE (voice) and WiFi calling.
    No, I had it on my Nokia N95 about 7 or 8 years ago. It ran badly on 2G but very well on 3G. This was before 4G or LTE had even been thought of. Just video calling across platforms. I wonder why we lost it, it was quite handy being able to video call an Android from my Symbian handset.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    08-11-16 12:54 AM
    No, I had it on my Nokia N95 about 7 or 8 years ago. It ran badly on 2G but very well on 3G. This was before 4G or LTE had even been thought of. Just video calling across platforms. I wonder why we lost it, it was quite handy being able to video call an Android from my Symbian handset.
    Interesting. I've seen this video calling feature on Nokias, though never used it. Do you remember what 'app' was used to receive video calls on Android?

To your other point, WiFi calling was the same way. It used to be a hardware-based implementation (UMA,) until it got replaced by the crappier, carrier-controlled software-based implementation.
    08-11-16 11:42 AM
    Interesting. I've seen this video calling feature on Nokias, though never used it. Do you remember what 'app' was used to receive video calls on Android?

To your other point, WiFi calling was the same way. It used to be a hardware-based implementation (UMA,) until it got replaced by the crappier, carrier-controlled software-based implementation.
    It was just in the phone app on Android and Symbian. Just a native feature. On 2G it was very pixellated but 3G was fine. This was even before HSDPA so it would have been awesome on todays network speeds.
    raino likes this.
    08-12-16 01:04 AM
    Can you please share the beta version link to download the version having video calling option as you showed in the image?
    01-12-17 04:36 AM