11-10-15 10:12 AM
73 123
tools
    Well I want a Priv for a secondary phone lol. I won't give up my passport so non issue.

Posted via CB10
    Likewise...Passport for primary, Priv as secondary / backup
    11-08-15 04:48 PM
    I have both the BlackBerry Z30 (fantastic) and the Passport SE (great). From some of the comments, it doesn't sound like the Priv has anything new or better to offer....

Posted using my BlackBerry Stainless Steel Passport SE (and I also have the BlackBerry Z30).
    funkymixx likes this.
    11-08-15 04:55 PM
    Yep, you're right. It's like eat potatos when you're used to eat caviar.

Posted via CB10
    Not quite. It's more like trying Indian food after eating steak and potatoes your whole life. It's different for sure. Some might love it at first, some might hate it at first, and some might think it's an acquired taste.
    PKB_Desires likes this.
    11-08-15 06:39 PM
    You're saying that Android is a 'trend or fad'? I'm not arguing your point about BB10 being potentially better, but Android isn't a fad.

WRT companies not developing for BB10, how can you expect any different with the current market penetration? It would be a terrible business decision for most companies to pour resources into BB10, right?
    Thanks for the reply, but you're absolutely correct. that was more of a rhetorical rant.
    11-09-15 02:35 PM
    Same as the op I bought it and am selling it to spite you all
    11-09-15 02:58 PM
    I feel pretty confident in saying that anyone who is a diehard BB10 user who has never used Android will most likely hate this phone.
    I'm diehard bb10 and an avid Android user(nexus 10) and I still hate it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-09-15 02:58 PM
    Guys calm down.. it is DIFFERENT from BB10. That's for sure.. and you need time to get used to it.
    Damn.. I hate the first days with the Passport when I got it..

Posted via CB10
    That's interesting how you put that. When I recently got a Passport (SE), it was surely a different experience, coming from a Z10, but at no point did I hate it. I was eager to get up to speed on it, and interested when I discovered the features and how they flowed into what I was doing.

That's the exact opposite experience I've had with Android devices--where it seems like everywhere I turn is a dead end--an Operating system that does almost nothing other than open apps.

That is a source of immediate and growing frustration. Even an iOS device (also simplistic and lacking functions) at least flows a bit better.

Android is the bottom of the barrel in terms of OS functionality (my experience), and I don't feel like tinkering around for basic, everyday functions.

KAM
    11-09-15 03:23 PM
    Problem is that there is virtually no activity on the Android Central Priv Forum which is a horrible sign for Blackberry. Only a total of 40 threads with 600 posts as of this morning on the Priv. This should be the most exciting and energitic of times on that Forum with the release of a new phone which is always the height of interest and activity. The Nexus 6P, for comparison which was released only 2 weeks ahead of the Priv, has over 500 posts and over 14,500 comments, and even that will never be a huge seller.

The Priv Form barely registers on the activity scale so it begs the question as to whether Blackberry is meeting their goal of bringing in new Android users to the fold or if Priv buyers are just Blackberry converts (and some disgruntled at that) which realistically have no chance of making this a successful device because our numbers are so small at this point.
    That's exactly what I was hinting at.
    It seems that mostly BlackBerry die hards pre-ordered the Priv out of love to save BlackBerry.
    Chen's theory does not seem to work and, in the process, he is alienating the other half of bb10 users who foresaw the lack of privacy and security of the priv.
    11-09-15 07:14 PM
    I agree; the Z30 and the Passport SE are both great devices. I love them both.

Posted using my BlackBerry Stainless Steel Passport SE (and I also have the BlackBerry Z30).
    11-09-15 07:34 PM
    I have to admit. I'm not a fan of the Priv either. It's not the build quality or anything with the hardware. It's Android! BB10 OS is still years ahead of Android OS as far as being intuitive. It's a shame that consumers purchase electronics based on trends and fads instead of true utility and function. Because of this, companies are completely ignoring creating apps for BB10 and focusing on these (in my opinion) substandard operating systems. And here we are...
    Couldn't agree more. Picked up to priv to see what it was all about. Don't get me wrong if you like android it's a really nice handset.

But I find myself missing the navigation of bb10. The swipe to go back was way more intuitive than reaching for the back button. Also having the bar at the bottom as opposed to the top is a real change. Forces you to handle the device differently.

Another thing I prefer on my z30 is multi tasking.

I'm in sales, I bounce from composing an email, to the calculator to figure out a price, then back to the email, then over to the browser to get a part number. All the while being able to enter and leave each item exactly as it was when I left it.

When I go from email to calculator, then back to email my email is gone and I have to re do it all.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong . IF so correct me.

texn884 likes this.
    11-09-15 07:48 PM
    I'm using the blackberry priv as main phone and SE passport for secondary phone.

I'd trade my mint with box and the accessories SE passport plus cash for another Priv. (Toronto area)....

The longer I have this priv the more im liking it! It feels good to have a proper keyboard again!!!!

Posted via Priv
    11-09-15 07:59 PM
    I'm in sales, I bounce from composing an email, to the calculator to figure out a price, then back to the email, then over to the browser to get a part number. All the while being able to enter and leave each item exactly as it was when I left it.

When I go from email to calculator, then back to email my email is gone and I have to re do it all.

I'm not sure what you're doing, but on my Nexus 5 with 2GB RAM, doing exactly that is a non-issue. Everything recent stays exactly how I left it, partly-written email and all.
    11-09-15 09:13 PM
    Guys calm down.. it is DIFFERENT from BB10. That's for sure.. and you need time to get used to it.
    Damn.. I hate the first days with the Passport when I got it..

Posted via CB10
    When remembering the disgust and uproar when BB10 was introduced, I find the current BB10-is-the-greatest tantrums ironic. Thinking of the thousands of insults over the awkwardness of the Passport when released, nothing-beats-the-Passport threads are also now hilarious. In short, if something new is introduced, be prepared to see hundreds of the same exact threads if how the former is better.
    11-09-15 09:33 PM
    When remembering the disgust and uproar when BB10 was introduced, I find the current BB10-is-the-greatest tantrums ironic. Thinking of the thousands of insults over the awkwardness of the Passport when released, nothing-beats-the-Passport threads are also now hilarious. In short, if something new is introduced, be prepared to see hundreds of the same exact threads if how the former is better.
    True, but I don't recall that people were returning either their Z10s or their Passports, especially not their Passports--just complaining about the size or shape. Passports seemed to be beloved devices almost from the very beginning, just some minor carping.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 09:38 PM
    I agree completely. I spent 20 minutes with the Priv today at an AT&T Store and concluded that it had nothing to offer for my purposes over the Passport. In particular, I didn't like the physical keyboard at all. Too small, and you have to use the Alt key to get to numbers and most punctuation keys. I kept trying to hit the period key and always missed.

I have average sized hands for a man, but can't navigate that pkbd. See picture below--I did post it on another thread earlier today.

Attachment 379338

Posted via CB10
    I have had mine since Friday and am getting better using it with each day. Just muscle memory.
    11-09-15 09:44 PM
    True, but I don't recall that people were returning either their Z10s or their Passports, especially not their Passports--just complaining about the size or shape. Passports seemed to be beloved devices almost from the very beginning, just some minor carping.

Posted via CB10
    Only beloved by those who bought them. The consumer market as a whole not so much.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 12:12 AM
    I think I'm the opposite. As soon as I brought the Priv home, I knew it could do so much more than my Q10. I'm in college right now, so apps like Snapchat, Yik Yak, Netflix, and Car2Go are essential for me. The Q10 is a bit more organized (it has a file manager and downloading attachments from e-mails is a breeze), but this slider is my future now.
    11-10-15 12:19 AM
    I feel pretty confident in saying that anyone who is a diehard BB10 user who has never used Android will most likely hate this phone.
    I'm a diehard BlackBerry user. Been with them exclusively for better than ten years. Never used an Android before. Absolutely love my Passport but guess what? Bought a Priv today. Loved it from the moment I saw it. Played with it for maybe an hour or more and I knew within the first five minutes that I was going to buy it.

I get where you guys are coming from. For so long we here on this site loath every and anything that isn't BlackBerry. We're like the once proud champion that has lost its title. And we're bitter. Partnering with the enemy (Android) is tantamount to treason to some. I get that. But really, this is business. Simple as that. We love BlackBerry and that means we love BlackBerry 10. We want to see it not only survive but flourish. This upcoming January marks the three year anniversary of BlackBerry 10. It still hasn't caught on and been excepted by the mainstream. For us that's cool because we "get it". We feel like BlackBerry 10 trumps every other OS hands down. But guess what? That doesn’t matter. What matters is how many units are moved and BlackBerry isn't and hasn't moved many at all. At the current rate BlackBerry market share dwindles to nil in about a year.
    So what would YOU ALL have BlackBerry do? Continue to spend money and resources on a platform that the market has utterly rejected? Stand pat on a sinking ship proudly waving a BlackBerry flag? Or better yet and this one is a killer just "advertise more".

Ladies and gentlemen ease up and look at the situation for what it truly is. BlackBerry 10 has failed. Simple as that. If you want to be have BlackBerry as an option five years from now, you'd better reevaluate how you view the company and what constitutes "A BlackBerry Phone".

With the Priv, BlackBerry's very first Android offering they've made arguably the Best Phone of 2015. Look at the buzz this phone has generated. Major news outlets and publications from around the world are talking about Our Beloved BlackBerry. Yet we here on this site, the biggest BlackBerry fan site in the world are by and large spurning the device before it can even take flight. That's shameful. Whether we realize it or not, people are paying attention to how we (the faithful) react to this device. I get it- but I'm over it. Sooner or later acceptance comes.

Good day!

Posted one-handed via Passport
    Nels, jpoq and DINGSTER1 like this.
    11-10-15 05:09 AM
    Has anyone noticed it being top heavy when using the keypad? I checked one out at the Bell store for a few minutes and felt it was not balanced in my hand when typing. Also the key pad is shallow. When I picked up a classic to compare, the classic was amazing. Perfect balance and they keys felt amazing. I was set to pick one up but not have my doubts.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 05:28 AM

Don't use the back button unless you really intend to "back out" of what you're doing. Your flow should be: from your email you tap home button, tap calculator icon, tap recent apps button, select the email you were working on. It'll be right where you left off.
    PKB_Desires likes this.
    11-10-15 06:00 AM
    Got mine. I support BlackBerry in their decision. Doesn't mean I don't like BlackBerry 10 more, it just means I hope that BlackBerry is successful with selling lots of Priv devices. If they have to build an Android device because of apps, then so be it. They are going to continue to support BlackBerry 10 and the more successful the Priv is, the better the chances BlackBerry 10 survives.

I love BlackBerry far more than I dislike Android. I plan to continue supporting BlackBerry for as long as they build these awesome devices. Regardless.

Passport is still my favorite overall BlackBerry design. The Priv hardware comes second. I think Android users will be very satisfied with this upgrade to whatever they're using now.

Posted via CB10
    It's a shame that the app popularity game won out over hardware. The volumes of people using apps is what is driving this market trend I'm afraid and because of this BlackBerry lost out on market share with the lowest volumes of apps available. The Passport for me would have been the perfect device if it had the full Google runtime. That was a great direction to go for BlackBerry but due to the limitations BlackBerry didn't gain much market share. I know the Priv will definitely help BlackBerry gain some market share as I l have always been a fanboy of the BlackBerry keyboard experience and I won't use any other device that doesn't support or have a BlackBerry keyboard.

I literally use to rip my hair out when I would type onscreen and waste more time backspacing to get the correct words to type out. It was endless frustration with the S4 which I used for a while while I was getting my bold 9900 fixed. If you are in a business like me which you have to answer emails ongoing morning to night ONLY a actual keyboard device will accommodate high volumes of typing. The lack of touch typing accuracy put me off completely as I know I type correctly.

11-10-15 07:57 AM
    It's a shame that the app popularity game won out over hardware. The volumes of people using apps is what is driving this market trend I'm afraid and because of this BlackBerry lost out on market share with the lowest volumes of apps available. The Passport for me would have been the perfect device if it had the full Google runtime. That was a great direction to go for BlackBerry but due to the limitations BlackBerry didn't gain much market share. I know the Priv will definitely help BlackBerry gain some market share as I l have always been a fanboy of the BlackBerry keyboard experience and I won't use any other device that doesn't support or have a BlackBerry keyboard.

I literally use to rip my hair out when I would type onscreen and waste more time backspacing to get the correct words to type out. It was endless frustration with the S4 which I used for a while while I was getting my bold 9900 fixed. If you are in a business like me which you have to answer emails ongoing morning to night ONLY a actual keyboard device will accommodate high volumes of typing. The lack of touch typing accuracy put me off completely as I know I type correctly.

I agree with you. But we are in the minority.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    11-10-15 10:03 AM
    I'm using the blackberry priv as main phone and SE passport for secondary phone.

I'd trade my mint with box and the accessories SE passport plus cash for another Priv. (Toronto area)....

The longer I have this priv the more im liking it! It feels good to have a proper keyboard again!!!!

Posted via Priv
    Not sure if you're interested, but I'm also in the Toronto area and I'm looking to get a Passport Silver Edition. I have a mint, black, unlocked Note 4 with everything and tons of accessories. I even have the blackberry virtual keyboard apk now installed
    11-10-15 10:12 AM
73 123