I find it funny people who spend 30min at a store with a phone and base their opinion on that.
    Xaiux likes this.
    11-08-15 07:59 AM
    I find it funny people who spend 30min at a store with a phone and base their opinion on that.
    How many minutes did you spend test driving that $25,000 car you purchased?
    Techno-guy, Asvertus and lift like this.
    11-08-15 08:04 AM
    I have the classic,SE Passport,and now the Priv ! while the OS is not as fluid it is a gorgeous phone that stands out from the rest and I'm flying on keyboard,well trying anyway,lol!with that said I'm keeping all 3 of them just because because of the uniqueness!BlackBerry has been like a breath of fresh air!

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Priv powered by Android!
    11-08-15 08:05 AM
    I say.... bring out a 2016 version of the Bold 9900 and we'll be rocking...!!!

> Passport/Classic user, but still reminisces the good old 9900 days...
    tacsniper likes this.
    11-08-15 08:08 AM
    Got mine. I support BlackBerry in their decision. Doesn't mean I don't like BlackBerry 10 more, it just means I hope that BlackBerry is successful with selling lots of Priv devices. If they have to build an Android device because of apps, then so be it. They are going to continue to support BlackBerry 10 and the more successful the Priv is, the better the chances BlackBerry 10 survives.

I love BlackBerry far more than I dislike Android. I plan to continue supporting BlackBerry for as long as they build these awesome devices. Regardless.

Passport is still my favorite overall BlackBerry design. The Priv hardware comes second. I think Android users will be very satisfied with this upgrade to whatever they're using now.

Posted via CB10
    Well said!

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 08:16 AM
    Isn't that actually a pretty long time to test a product before buying it? You need to be sold on it before you come into the store and then testing it before purchase is just final validation (or not). I'm pretty sure you put down way more money for TV's over the years after looking at them for a few minutes and comparing them (in seconds) to the competition next to them. Same for most car purchases (I doubt most people test drive a car for over 30 minutes, I've been pushed to do them in 5-10 minutes!). Computers too...you might walk into the store, play around with it for a few minutes and then hand over $1500 for that spiffy new laptop after pecking out a few sentences on the keyboard and concluding it's a solid machine!

The point being that the Priv simply does not impress, even after 30 minutes. I spent 45 minutes with it yesterday, walked in prepared to buy or order one, and was utterly flabbergasted at how small and cheap the keyboard felt. I'm coming from a Passport too. I walked out empty handed and think I gave Blackberry more than enough time to 'sell' me on the Priv, and I even walked in there with incredible enthusiasm about seeing one!

Now imagine the average (non Blackberry owing) consumer - they will pick up the Priv, peck out a few things on the keyboard, and likely walk away after 30 seconds. It's simply not the great keyboard they remembered before they abandoned Blackberry. You don't have much time to sell people on a product, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Techno-guy; 11-08-15 at 11:35 AM.
    Asvertus and lift like this.
    11-08-15 08:29 AM
    I say.... bring out a 2016 version of the Bold 9900 and we'll be rocking...!!!

> Passport/Classic user, but still reminisces the good old 9900 days...
    I am rocking a 9900 at work everyday. BBOS is insanely effective for what it does but the world has moved on. Even corporations want so much more productivity capability from a device than just email.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 08:37 AM
    I agree completely. I spent 20 minutes with the Priv today at an AT&T Store and concluded that it had nothing to offer for my purposes over the Passport. In particular, I didn't like the physical keyboard at all. Too small, and you have to use the Alt key to get to numbers and most punctuation keys. I kept trying to hit the period key and always missed.

I have average sized hands for a man, but can't navigate that pkbd. See picture below--I did post it on another thread earlier today.

Attachment 379338

Posted via CB10
    having the ALT key actually makes it much easier and faster to type symbols. I love my passport, but it doesn't beat the typing speed of previous blackberries, and one of the issues is having to go to the touch keyboard to do the proper punctuation.
    Fr3lncr and Yertie like this.
    11-08-15 08:40 AM
    Do you really think 5-6 hours is enough time to really learn an entirely new OS. Give it a real go for a week as your ONLY device...then give a real review to everyone. 5-6 hours you probably barley got all of your accounts set up and transfered/synced fully.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    11-08-15 08:45 AM
    Guys....it's a good phone but nothing compared to the passport.

Sorry but it's just not it. Tired it for 5-6 hrs and kijij'd it

Passport till it dies.

Posted via CB10
    Again, another BlackBerry guy with a review.
    BlackBerry is not looking to convert every BlackBerry 10 user. They want to keep what they had plus add new Android users.

We should always be comparing to other Androids and iPhone and not other BlackBerry hardware and BB10

posted from my Priv!
    11-08-15 08:59 AM
    But once you buy a car you don't get to return like some here do with phones . I think that is brutal.
    At least he didn't do that but many here do because of lack of patience, laziness to go test it or laziness to read all reviews.
    You should never have to or be able to return a phone unless it has a hardware or OS issue and not easily fixed..

posted from my Priv!
    11-08-15 09:02 AM
    Well, there don't seem to be many non-BB10 users who bought this phone and reviewedit here. Maybe this is not the right forum. Maybe there are lots on android central.
    Isn't that what Chen expected?
    11-08-15 09:11 AM
    Again, another BlackBerry guy with a review.
    BlackBerry is not looking to convert every BlackBerry 10 user. They want to keep what they had plus add new Android users.

We should always be comparing to other Androids and iPhone and not other BlackBerry hardware and BB10

posted from my Priv!
    Again, another Android guy.

"BlackBerry is not looking to convert every BlackBerry 10 user. They want to keep what they had plus add new Android users."

Even this is the biggest fault BlackBerry made.

For every happy Android guy, they loose an pissed BB10 user. So they DON'T keep what they had.

For me my Z30 is the perfect device.
    I don't need a PKB, not every new app.

The Priv lacks of many things I have with my Z30.

- No stereo speakers
    - No real multitasking
    - No build in file manger
    - No gestures
    - the need of installing 3 Rd party apps to complete the missing OS functions. ( I want a phone, no LEGO)

May miss more things... edit later.

Posted via my Z30 (10.3.2.2639)
    BlackQtCoder and lift like this.
    11-08-15 09:23 AM
    Again, another Android guy.

"BlackBerry is not looking to convert every BlackBerry 10 user. They want to keep what they had plus add new Android users."

Even this is the biggest fault BlackBerry made.

For every happy Android guy, they loose an pissed BB10 user. So they DON'T keep what they had.

For me my Z30 is the perfect device.
    I don't need a PKB, not every new app.

The Priv lacks of many things I have with my Z30.

- No stereo speakers
    - No real multitasking
    - No build in file manger
    - No gestures
    - the need of installing 3 Rd party apps to complete the missing OS functions. ( I want a phone, no LEGO)

May miss more things... edit later.

Lose 1% market share but has chance to grab more marketshare ? Risky, but challenging

A real bb10 user won't care much with this android powered thing if current bb10 is enough for their need, do their business done and stay function, what to worried about ? Blackberry will keep support bb10 for the update and security, they don't care of app, they have a good quality built phone which can stay for years. Unless some of them felt unsecured and excluded (which unlikely behaviour from a so called business person)
    11-08-15 09:36 AM
    Cars all drive the same way, and in that 10-20 minute test drive, you'll know the driving dynamics of that vehicle and whether it feels good to you. OS's cannot be compared the same way, you wouldn't learn about each button on the dashboard of that car on the test drive and go through each of the audio system menus, and learn about what each fuse does as well, all in 10-20 minutes would you? OS's need to be adapted to, which is why BlackBerry gives you 30 to return if you're not happy. But that's too hard of a task to ask of people, isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:49 AM
    Lose 1% market share but has chance to grab more marketshare ? Risky, but challenging

A real bb10 user won't care much with this android powered thing if current bb10 is enough for their need, do their business done and stay function, what to worried about ? Blackberry will keep support bb10 for the update and security, they don't care of app, they have a good quality built phone which can stay for years. Unless some of them felt unsecured and excluded (which unlikely behaviour from a so called business person)
    I had my 9800 Storm for 10 years before I got my Z30.
    If my Z30 will work the next 10 years, I have much time to find my next device that meets my needs.
    Perhaps that will be an BlackBerry Android with gesture, BlackBerry assistant and more of the good things from BB10.

I am no business man, but BlackBerry was the best for me, before the Priv.

11-08-15 09:57 AM
    I had my 9800 Storm for 10 years before I got my Z30.
    If my Z30 will work the next 10 years, I have much time to find my next device that meets my needs.
    Perhaps that will be an BlackBerry Android with gesture, BlackBerry assistant and more of the good things from BB10.

I am no business man, but BlackBerry was the best for me, before the Priv.

Good for you
    11-08-15 10:03 AM
    Well, there don't seem to be many non-BB10 users who bought this phone and reviewedit here. Maybe this is not the right forum. Maybe there are lots on android central.
    Isn't that what Chen expected?
    Exactly!

This is CB Forums.
    Android Central forums would logically not have the "Coming from BB10" crowd or the "comparing it to BB10" crowd.

At AC is where it would make sense to wonder why BlackBerry users are comparing it to what they love about their current devices. But it should be logical and expected here on CB.

Most of these "Priv pplz" don't realize that these forums (I think) have some of us that enjoy BB10 and Android might not pique our interest.
    I imagine that 'the majority' of BlackBerry users for whom the app-gap was unbearable, that most of those had gone Android or iOS before the Priv was even announced.

I think that the Priv's job is to attract current Android users or BB10 users who were unhappy enough to think about going to iOS or Android relatively soon.
    It's a smart move since there are so many Android users out there.

These Android-Priv converts here would've probably eventually switched platforms or 'at least' gotten a secondary device (maybe tablet) with Android.
    That's a good thing. Finding the product that is right for "you" is the way it should be.

It's all about your needs and how utilitarian you are. My Q10 is still the best device in the market for my use case and preferences (Shhhh.... don't tell anyone, but that Passport SE is tempting me to screw needs and just get that awesome beast lol)

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2789 CB10 
    Last edited by jope28; 11-08-15 at 11:52 AM.
    11-08-15 10:05 AM
    Cars all drive the same way, and in that 10-20 minute test drive, you'll know the driving dynamics of that vehicle and whether it feels good to you. OS's cannot be compared the same way, you wouldn't learn about each button on the dashboard of that car on the test drive and go through each of the audio system menus, and learn about what each fuse does as well, all in 10-20 minutes would you? OS's need to be adapted to, which is why BlackBerry gives you 30 to return if you're not happy. But that's too hard of a task to ask of people, isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    I disagree that mobile operating systems are that complex. I use, or have used, BlackBerry, Android, and iOS. IMHO, it is quite easy to figure out if you generally like any one of the operating systems in 30 minutes. Just because it may take some people 30 days to figure out how they feel about a mobile OS does not mean it takes everyone that long. I knew that the BlackBerry Z30 (BB10) was an amazing device I just had to have in about ten minutes of testing at a dealer. Same with my Passport (admittedly same OS, but first PKB in years). Conversely, I tried to find something to love about my last Android for two-and-a-half years without much success (did love the biometric fingerprint scanner, however).
    Asvertus likes this.
    11-08-15 10:36 AM
    and you have to use the Alt key to get to numbers and most punctuation keys
    this has been the same on all blackberry pkb hasn't it ? apart from the passport
    11-08-15 11:15 AM
    this has been the same on all blackberry pkb hasn't it ? apart from the passport
    Yes, you're correct. Somehow that didn't bother me on the Bold or the 9810. Must be a combination of the small keyboard, which still seems more cramped than the 9810 even if it isn't. And maybe it's the relative size of the keyboard to the whole phone in the case of the Priv -- and my having gotten used to the Passport.

I used only a Z10 for a year and a half before I got a Passport, and during that time adjusted more or less to a great virtual keyboard, thinking it was at least as productive as the small pkbd on the 9810. Then the Passport came along and I had the best of both worlds in terms of overall keyboard usability. In terms of everything, in fact, as most Passport owners here will agree.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 11:33 AM
    I agree completely. I spent 20 minutes with the Priv today at an AT&T Store and concluded that it had nothing to offer for my purposes over the Passport. In particular, I didn't like the physical keyboard at all. Too small, and you have to use the Alt key to get to numbers and most punctuation keys. I kept trying to hit the period key and always missed.

I have average sized hands for a man, but can't navigate that pkbd. See picture below--I did post it on another thread earlier today.

Attachment 379338

Posted via CB10
    Wait. Doesn't swiping down on the pkb show the extended number/symbols vkb above?
    Just do that. I love not having to hit the little 'alt' key.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 11:33 AM
    Exactly!

This is CB Forums.
    Android Central forums would logically not have the "Coming from BB10" crowd or the "comparing it to BB10" crowd.

At AC is where it would make sense to wonder why BlackBerry users are comparing it to what they love about their current devices. But it should be logical and expected here on CB.
    Problem is that there is virtually no activity on the Android Central Priv Forum which is a horrible sign for Blackberry. Only a total of 40 threads with 600 posts as of this morning on the Priv. This should be the most exciting and energitic of times on that Forum with the release of a new phone which is always the height of interest and activity. The Nexus 6P, for comparison which was released only 2 weeks ahead of the Priv, has over 500 posts and over 14,500 comments, and even that will never be a huge seller.

The Priv Form barely registers on the activity scale so it begs the question as to whether Blackberry is meeting their goal of bringing in new Android users to the fold or if Priv buyers are just Blackberry converts (and some disgruntled at that) which realistically have no chance of making this a successful device because our numbers are so small at this point.
    jope28 and Asvertus like this.
    11-08-15 11:45 AM
    I hated mine for the first few days too! It's a phone that gets Sooo much better with age.

Posted via CB10
    I was forcing myself to use mine when I first got it, and then it just became normal to me.
    11-08-15 02:03 PM
    BB10 OS is still years ahead of Android OS as far as being intuitive. It's a shame that consumers purchase electronics based on trends and fads instead of true utility and function. Because of this, companies are completely ignoring creating apps for BB10 and focusing on these (in my opinion) substandard operating systems. And here we are...
    You're saying that Android is a 'trend or fad'? I'm not arguing your point about BB10 being potentially better, but Android isn't a fad.

WRT companies not developing for BB10, how can you expect any different with the current market penetration? It would be a terrible business decision for most companies to pour resources into BB10, right?
    11-08-15 02:14 PM
73 123