It isn't pronounced Venus like the planet. But Venice like the city. I couldn't get past that and so couldn't watch the video.

Posted via CB10
    It's pronounced the Palm Pre 4 XL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-19-15 08:33 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is, in my opinion, a much better engineered OS, and it is the cornerstone of BlackBerry's future in IoT (automotive, etc), and the most secure system out there.
    It's not just the technology and engineering behind the OS: it's the actual design guide: the way apps are designed, with the Tabs menu on the left, the Actions along the bottom, the "Action overflow" on the right and context menu popout on the right: the sublime simplicity and consistency of properly designed BB10 apps... Apple's design for iOS apps is to put buttons WAY UP at the top corners. STUPID. STUPID. That stupid tray at the bottom of the screen ALWAYS popping up when I don't want it to. The notifications dropdown, too.

BlackBerry 10's answer? 1: what appears from the top of the app is relevant to the app you're in, not the entire OS. (Oddly, Mac OSX does it opposite: when you have an app open the menu bar at the top of the screen is for the application that's foregrounded, not the OS, but it sticks to the top of the screen instead of the App window with the desktop showing through: one of the things I can't stand about Mac OSes.... but I digress). 2: you want out of the app? Swipe up from the buttom, peek at your notifications and see if anything important is there, then swipe back to the app you were just in.

I could go on, but it's much more than just the engineering. It's the design of the OS and how properly designed apps (that follow the BB10 design guidelines) just are more consistent and "logical" in the way they work.

If BlackBerry can manage to skin Android to the point where it duplicates ALL of BB10, then I guess I don't mind so much, but throwing out the best "designed" OS workflow for the wild-west-of-poorly-thought-out-inconsistency that is Android is just so sad.
    vgorous, dejanh and Allanon89 like this.
    09-19-15 08:55 PM
    My 2 sisters that never liked BlackBerry loved the device just because it's android and that 18mp camera, they might be getting it after seeing that video
    A lot of people will buy this device because it's running Android, most people don't care about the company that makes the device, they look at the os they're used to, some hardware things : camera, ram, size, battery performance etc...

CB10�Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    09-19-15 09:36 PM
    I think its a great marketing technique putting android OS on a *new* blackberry device. People will give BB more recognition, not only that but the consumers will also look at other blackberry devices and say wow i didn't even know BB10 OS existed, let me give that a try.
    BBd00d and ayngling like this.
    09-19-15 09:36 PM
    acovey;11933912]Maybe BUT I wanted a new slider to replace my old (but great) 9810 NOT an Android phone with a Blackberry label on it.

...that goes both ways...no reason this device can't have both OS flavours (and maybe it will), but the man had a point (who Bla1ze was responding to)

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    09-19-15 09:43 PM
    Maybe BUT I wanted a new slider to replace my old (but great) 9810 NOT an Android phone with a Blackberry label on it.
    It's actually a BlackBerry phone with android software on it. Life is unfair. Not sure when was the last time you didn't get your way, but you're not the only one. Unfortunately for those of us who are like you, we either accept the reality that BlackBerry adopts android or we adopt a different OS. Never know, maybe offering android as an alternative will bring in the necessary hardware sales to become relevant again. The more people who know BlackBerry still sells to consumers, the better it will be for the company. The better the company is, the more risks they take. I want bb10 to stay and so do many others, but I'm prepared to let it go if that's what BlackBerry needs to do.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    09-19-15 10:05 PM
    Interesting but the comments that 'BlackBerry is abandoning' their current users isn't really accurate. If you really like BlackBerry 10, chill and let BlackBerry do their Android thing because it just may be the thing that actually pays to keep BlackBerry 10 going. You don't need to buy it, if you hate it that much. But if it succeeds, you'll benefit from it as a BlackBerry 10 user.
    it'll only benefit me (if they succeed in selling lots of this BlackBerry "Venus") by keeping BB10 going. nothing is confirmed that that will be so. Yeah i don't need to buy it and all- but what good does it do me if every phone that gets released after is android? you're implying the continuation of BB10 post-Slider. proof please.
    gnirkatto likes this.
    09-19-15 10:06 PM
    This guy is one of those like many crackberry members (no offense) .............

And yes if you put the name blackberry in any other device it IS still blackberry. Just because is not running BB10 doesn't mean is not a blackberry phone. People should stop this non sense, BB10 is doing nothing for BlackBerry that's why the are going Android and that is the best decision that Mr. Chen would ever do for Blackberry

I disagree, if you have an HTC, LG, Samsung etc. do you commonly refer it by the brand of device, or is it an Android phone? The latter is generally the case.

BlackBerry's have always been identified as their own (software and hardware). Maybe this won't be the case, who knows...I'm not so optimistic of it.

Best decision he has made?...perhaps in the immediate short term, but it seems to me that the other Android guys aren't have all that much success with it.

RIM's problems have been long drawn out and all that has been happening lately is a lot of jumping from one 'solution' to another hoping that maybe one will stick.

They had a chance years back to right the ship properly. I hate to beat a tired horse, but had they marketed the new platform right maybe they wouldn't be grasping at straws as they are now.

They had the mobile world by the short and curlies...a new kid comes out claiming a new and better way. Instead of sitting there, that's when you get out there and remind your crowd WHY they they are with you in the first place and why sticking around WILL be in their best interest.

Yes they bought QNX and this was a great move to modernize the aging BBOS, but a full reboot like this takes time...maybe this should have been done a year or so earlier. Then once it's almost done, tease the hell out of it (assuming the release is solidified). Then bring it out with a bang, not a tiny whimper that we got.

Now, they are behind the eight ball...hardly anyone knows of what they build (save enterprise)...and they are looking like they may ditch the best thing they had since being mobile kings.

The company has no passion driving them...they have an accountant (for all intents and purposes), before him a man who likely would have been better suited in a different department...and one guy too many trying to do the same thing. You may not like Steve Jobs for whatever reason, but you have to admit he convinced a hell of a lot of people to buy a so so product by telling a generation that needs to be told, what to buy.

I hope that I'm completely wrong and that perhaps this Android 'experiment' works out enough to maintain the BlackBerry 10 devices for those who want it...and maybe one day someone will be at the wheel with some excitement for the company who will achieve do what's needed to haul BlackBerry (RIM) back to where they belong.....if anything is left to haul...

Posted via CB10

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    09-19-15 10:17 PM

The look of the device is stunning, I feel like they have got a real winner on the table and I honestly think we'll see people come in waves. Sure it'll be $300� on term but if the dealers have the right amount of training then we can sell customers on the slider very easily.

Ouch, isn't $300+ on term too much for a brand just entering the market? I'd say go $199 tops, and that's just because I want to save some money lol. No but seriously $300 isn't exactly the kind of money the majority throw around easily.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 10:30 PM
    Ouch, isn't $300+ on term too much for a brand just entering the market? I'd say go $199 tops, and that's just because I want to save some money lol. No but seriously $300 isn't exactly the kind of money the majority throw around easily.

Posted via CB10
    would like to see your face when the $699 price is announced.
    09-19-15 11:22 PM
    @LDUDIAZ, The name of the site and community is Crackberry, it's obvious that the realities of the industry are distorted around here.

To ensure I am super clear, I am a serious member of this community and will be till it or me is over. That being said, the real insight in the comment you made was that Blackberry had it's chance. I'm on record on this blog stating that BB is the worst technology brand on the planet ( The product is great) the brand and strategic business direction is just a mess.

The reason I state that is to point out the reality, and it's this--- regardless of the moves the company makes in the hardware business, it is doomed. Think Myspace of the mobile industry. It's a great lesson for CEO's and Founders of companies trying to compete in today's marketplace. Take care of the corporate image, perception and market sentiment as well as the product. One cannot thrive without the other!!!

If I were to sit with the BB CEO, and was asked for an outsiders counsel , my 2 cents would be, fix the brand by becoming great at something that nobody see's coming, don't waste too much energy slugging it out in a contest where the market thinks/says you are a non-factor.

In an honest assessment, I use 3 devices iphone6, Motox, BBZ30. The BB is hands down more efficient, more productive, etc, but it's really based on a certain viewpoint and use case. The general market wants to talk about photography, app store size and how many cores the phone's chip has. I won't even get into those conversations, but what I can say is , since BB won't play in the material design game, marketing game and crowd pleasing game, it's best to stay out of it and compete in a different game.

The point of my long winded reply is this: Don't expect huge sales numbers, the BB name is no longer respected by the marketplace and even though this device looks very good, the name will kill any chance of any subjective viewpoints and consideration.

I'm still getting one!!
    ldudiaz likes this.
    09-20-15 12:29 AM
    would like to see your face when the $699 price is announced.
    I generally don't purchase my devices upfront so not to worried about that. If I saw $699 on a two year term I'd be shocked.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 12:34 AM
    It's not just the technology and engineering behind the OS: it's the actual design guide: the way apps are designed, with the Tabs menu on the left, the Actions along the bottom, the "Action overflow"
    You misunderstood me. By engineering I also mean the interaction design. I mean the process behind all the decisions made.

I am doing a PhD at the Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden, focusing on Interaction Design (for trauma telemedicine), so you are preaching to the choir. I agree with your points, having the menu at the bottom, so close to my thumbs on the keyboard is sooooo much better than the other OSes.

I actually know one of the guys who founded and sold TAT to BlackBerry (the guys who did the gui and interaction design for BlackBerry 10). My hat off to them, they did an awesome job with the UX.
    09-20-15 12:48 AM
    I generally don't purchase my devices upfront so not to worried about that. If I saw $699 on a two year term I'd be shocked.

Posted via CB10
    aren't Sprint & Verizon going away from the 2 year thing? that only leaves 2 as an option for that. i'm assuming you live in my country.
    09-20-15 12:55 AM
    And the UX is why I love my Passport. To be honest, I've never heard about BlackBerry before the rumors that they are going to use Qt to build Nokia Harmattan (so called MeeGo that wasn't MeeGo) N9's UX. Nokia already killed it at that point so I was really curious and I get what I wanted from BB10. My point is - I don't care about vendor (although I own some stocks). But for me UX is what I care about! I have to admit Passport as HW makes it much more difficult to move on... But I hope Jolla will survive, it's another version of gesture based UX, very close to Harmattan and BB10. I might be tempted by HW keyboard on Venice even with Android but it's not OS built for productivity, UX is getting better over time but slowly. And there are so many options you can buy.

Another option would ask BlackBerry to open source Cascades and UX of BlackBerry 10. I don't mean lower stack like QNX, just UX. As HP open sourced WebOS whey they killed it. Then it would be possible to port BB10 like experience to Venice.

And the last option is to write BlackBerry 10 like launcher for Android or even use Ubuntu Touch or Mer as base image and have the whole BlackBerry 10 like OS. I'm going to take a look today ;-). It won't be compatible with today's Cascades apps as it doesn't make sense to start with Cascades but Qt Quick Components... Own OS means it would not run on Venice as I expect boot loader will be locked - security by obscurity.

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-20-15 01:02 AM
    Interesting but the comments that 'BlackBerry is abandoning' their current users isn't really accurate. If you really like BlackBerry 10, chill and let BlackBerry do their Android thing because it just may be the thing that actually pays to keep BlackBerry 10 going. You don't need to buy it, if you hate it that much. But if it succeeds, you'll benefit from it as a BlackBerry 10 user.
    Damn skippy! You're right.

The shortsighted opinions of these so called hardcore users just continues to amuse me everyday without fail.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 01:15 AM
    And yes if you put the name blackberry in any other device it IS still blackberry. Just because is not running BB10 doesn't mean is not a blackberry phone.
    So if you swapped a Ferrari's engine with one from a Prius, you're saying it's still a Ferrari right?
    RezzaBuh and Allanon89 like this.
    09-20-15 01:24 AM
    I buy my phones with the knowledge that in two years i'll be buying another one so if BlackBerry 10 is not around, i'll simply buy what best suits my needs. I like BlackBerry and will continue to buy their hardware indefinitely in whatever iteration is present at the time. Right now I'm content with Passport for work and Z30 for personal but want the slider to replace the Z30. One thing's for sure, as time goes by, things keep getting better and overall the customer generally gets a better phone and better experience than their last one. I personally believe that the slider will inject some much needed cash into the handset division but the long term goal is to keep BlackBerry 10 and integrate it fully into IOT. I prefer to think that development is simply on hiatus and not ceased.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    ayngling likes this.
    09-20-15 02:07 AM
    So if you swapped a Ferrari's engine with one from a Prius, you're saying it's still a Ferrari right?
    The Lotus Elise uses a Toyota engine.. And it's still a lotus.. Just sayin

09-20-15 02:19 AM
    The Lotus Elise uses a Toyota engine.. And it's still a lotus.. Just sayin

Oh snap

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 02:40 AM
    You have never used ,or owned a Z30 ,for any length of time, best phone made by any company.
    09-20-15 06:57 AM
    You have never used ,or owned a Z30 ,for any length of time, best phone made by any company.
    I have used the following phones from they were released: Dev Alpha B, Z10, Q10, Z30, Passport, Classic (and then I went back to the Q10 which I use now).

The Z30 is great, so I think the new slider will be great as a flagship all-touch device! However, for some people, like myself, a qwerty phone is such a great tool for hammering out long emails and messages.

The great thing about the slider is that both you and me get what we want An updated flagship Z30 with a keyboard I can use for longer messages.
    BroncoVAL and DolemiteDONS like this.
    09-20-15 07:04 AM
    I have used the following phones from they were released: Dev Alpha B, Z10, Q10, Z30, Passport, Classic (and then I went back to the Q10 which I use now).

The Z30 is great, so I think the new slider will be great as a flagship all-touch device! However, for some people, like myself, a qwerty phone is such a great tool for hammering out long emails and messages.

The great thing about the slider is that both you and me get what we want An updated flagship Z30 with a keyboard I can use for longer messages.
    I can't help thinking that if the Venice were to be a success then we could finally see some demand for a smaller Venice.... more like a Q10 /Classic form factor 'Venicised'... still rooting for a Blackberry phone out of the 'Phablet' trend

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-20-15 07:36 AM
    I can't help thinking that if the Venice were to be a success then we could finally see some demand for a smaller Venice.... more like a Q10 /Classic form factor 'Venicised'... still rooting for a Blackberry phone out of the 'Phablet' trend
    This. I believe there is a market for smaller phones, I hear people all the time saying they want to go back to iPhone 4S sizes, and I pull up my Q10. They love the size, but say they don't need the keyboard (and they are probably right). A Q10 sized slider would be the perfect phone for me, and I believe many others as well!
    BroncoVAL and DolemiteDONS like this.
    09-20-15 07:48 AM
    If it were running BB10, then you could have a point, but if it is running Android, then it is not an update to the Z30 at all, it is a completely different platform, requiring a transition, that won't run any of the BlackBerry 10 apps anyone has invested in. I've gone from BBOS to PlayBook to BB10, and to ignore their past in what they are going to do with their future is foolish. They have never, ever cared about the end user of the phones, and still do not, and that is why they will not be successful again. The price of this phone will be too high IMHO to be a sales success, because Android users/buyer are cheap for the most part, and something better will be out soon. Their regulated markets will have to test it forever because it is Android, all while most are already certifying iOS 9 for deployment.

Posted via Z30
    Allanon89 and extisis like this.
    09-20-15 08:45 AM
123 ... 2345