"Posted from the Beast PP"
    will308 likes this.
    09-18-15 09:15 PM
    Interesting but the comments that 'BlackBerry is abandoning' their current users isn't really accurate. If you really like BlackBerry 10, chill and let BlackBerry do their Android thing because it just may be the thing that actually pays to keep BlackBerry 10 going. You don't need to buy it, if you hate it that much. But if it succeeds, you'll benefit from it as a BlackBerry 10 user.
    09-18-15 09:40 PM
    I know this is hard to admit for most of us here. But this comment on the 'hands-on' YouTube video today basically summarizes why the Slider running Android is necessary.

Very interesting Perspective (Hard Core User)-img_20150918_224112_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 09-19-15 at 07:48 AM.
    09-18-15 09:43 PM
    Interesting but the comments that 'BlackBerry is abandoning' their current users isn't really accurate. If you really like BlackBerry 10, chill and let BlackBerry do their Android thing because it just may be the thing that actually pays to keep BlackBerry 10 going. You don't need to buy it, if you hate it that much. But if it succeeds, you'll benefit from it as a BlackBerry 10 user.
    Maybe BUT I wanted a new slider to replace my old (but great) 9810 NOT an Android phone with a Blackberry label on it.
    will308 likes this.
    09-18-15 09:51 PM
    Maybe BUT I wanted a new slider to replace my old (but great) 9810 NOT an Android phone with a Blackberry label on it.
    09-18-15 09:56 PM
    Lmfao!! ^^^^^^^

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-18-15 11:47 PM
    This guy is one of those like many crackberry members (no offense) here that are obsessed with BB10, don't get me wrong I love BB10. But should blackberry stay with BB10 to satisfy the 100 crackberry fans? Let's face it only crackberry members know/like about BB10.

And yes if you put the name blackberry in any other device it IS still blackberry. Just because is not running BB10 doesn't mean is not a blackberry phone. People should stop this non sense, BB10 is doing nothing for BlackBerry that's why the are going Android and that is the best decision that Mr. Chen would ever do for Blackberry

Just because you're a fan of BB10 doesn't mean it's working for BlackBerry. Stop holding on to the past and embrace the future and that future is Android moving forward for BlackBerry.

And stop the security comments people please, if government agencies and corporations can use Android so can you, so can you.

Oh and BlackBerry is not abandoning anyone they are just making decisions in the best interest of the company.

Disclaimer : I've been using BlackBerry since their black and white screen phones.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ldudiaz; 09-19-15 at 12:27 AM.
    09-19-15 12:11 AM
    BB10 is not fulfilling its role as a smartphone, or as as a pocket computer for more than 99% of smartphone users. That's why its marketshare is dwindling, and the company is looking for other answers. I'm not just saying it cause a website says so, my own personal hands-on experience with the Z30 tells me so.

IDC: Smartphone OS Market Share 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012
    2015Q2 0.3%
    2014Q2 0.5%
    2013Q2 2.8%
    2012Q2 4.9%
    RigoMonster likes this.
    09-19-15 12:37 AM
    How will BlackBerry 10 user benefit from Android on BlackBerry phones? Yeah, it might be successful turn around as I know many people who are looking for HW keyboard on Android phones. Not sure about full touch - competition is extremely tough there and there are better phones than BlackBerry can ever offer. But as BlackBerry doesn't care about BlackBerry 10 these days, I don't expect it in the future, especially if Android strategy will work. And for me, the reason I'm with BlackBerry was OS. I even didn't know BlackBerry exists before I heard about the plans using Qt on theirs devices ;-). For me, it was logical move from Nokia & Harmattan as I like the style of UI and I think it's better than Android and iOS. So let's hope Jolla will survive. And yes, I had an opportunity to touch the other half Jolla keyboard ;-))). So looks like a dream!

Posted via CB10
    1Criz, Q10Bold, Allanon89 and 2 others like this.
    09-19-15 01:30 AM
    This guy is one of those like many crackberry members (no offense) here that are obsessed with BB10, don't get me wrong I love BB10. But should blackberry stay with BB10 to satisfy the 100 crackberry fans? Let's face it only crackberry members know/like about BB10.

And yes if you put the name blackberry in any other device it IS still blackberry. Just because is not running BB10 doesn't mean is not a blackberry phone. People should stop this non sense, BB10 is doing nothing for BlackBerry that's why the are going Android and that is the best decision that Mr. Chen would ever do for Blackberry

Just because you're a fan of BB10 doesn't mean it's working for BlackBerry. Stop holding on to the past and embrace the future and that future is Android moving forward for BlackBerry.

And stop the security comments people please, if government agencies and corporations can use Android so can you, so can you.

Oh and BlackBerry is not abandoning anyone they are just making decisions in the best interest of the company.

Disclaimer : I've been using BlackBerry since their black and white screen phones.

Posted via CB10
    Ok. So just because you've used a BlackBerry since their black and white screen phones you think you are entitled to ridicule the people who got BB10 just because of the OS?

As far as "Android is the future" comment goes, I can just LOL at that.

BB10 as a platform is doing much more than you think it is. You're looking at the wrong place.

I do agree that BlackBerry is not abandoning anybody! There are many here who just assume that. It's a good strategic decision if they can execute it.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 01:36 AM
    How will BlackBerry 10 user benefit from Android on BlackBerry phones? Yeah, it might be successful turn around as I know many people who are looking for HW keyboard on Android phones. Not sure about full touch - competition is extremely tough there and there are better phones than BlackBerry can ever offer. But as BlackBerry doesn't care about BlackBerry 10 these days, I don't expect it in the future, especially if Android strategy will work. And for me, the reason I'm with BlackBerry was OS. I even didn't know BlackBerry exists before I heard about the plans using Qt on theirs devices ;-). For me, it was logical move from Nokia & Harmattan as I like the style of UI and I think it's better than Android and iOS. So let's hope Jolla will survive. And yes, I had an opportunity to touch the other half Jolla keyboard ;-))). So looks like a dream!

Posted via CB10
    The point is that this Android device could be appealing to more people, which would make BlackBerry money, which could lead to investing in BlackBerry 10. It should be lotsa money and surely it's a gamble, but it's a better gamble than putting your money on BlackBerry 10 only.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 01:40 AM
    Everybody relax, there will most likely be a BlackBerry 10 slider. It will probably be released a few months after the Android version hits the market. Not having a BlackBerry 10 version doesn't make sense. With no extra R&D and minimal software changes (almost 0) they can sell more handsets. My guess is they'll have the Android version available through carriers and the BlackBerry 10 version on Shop BlackBerry.

Even if this doesn't happen for some reason, BlackBerry 10 will continue to exist and evolve. The OS is now too valuable and mature to die. Companies like Samsung who struggle to bring their new OS to the market would pay a fortune for a full featured mobile OS. When you have something valuable you either use it to your advantage or you sell it to someone else to use it, you don't bin it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TheoRadu; 09-19-15 at 02:19 AM.
    wyrdfool, dmlis, mania626 and 5 others like this.
    09-19-15 02:03 AM
    I think that reason why lot of people are miffed is that they actually want to buy it, but with BlackBerry 10 ;-)

Posted via CB10
    anon(4067838) and acovey like this.
    09-19-15 02:27 AM
    Bb10 is dead. Development has ended. Dan Dodge retired. What don't you guys get? Frankly I am happy to see it go. Real time operating system, micro kernel, runs nuclear power plants, blah, blah. It took two years of development to get back 20% of the capability of os7. Go tinker with Jolla and Ubuntu phones and leave BlackBerry for BlackBerry fans.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-19-15 02:57 AM
    Bb10 is dead. Development has ended. Dan Dodge retired. What don't you guys get? Frankly I am happy to see it go. Real time operating system, micro kernel, runs nuclear power plants, blah, blah. It took two years of development to get back 20% of the capability of os7. Go tinker with Jolla and Ubuntu phones and leave BlackBerry for BlackBerry fans.

Posted via CB10
    I am a vocal proponent of BlackBerry securing android going forward, but I do no agree with this.

BlackBerry 10 is, in my opinion, a much better engineered OS, and it is the cornerstone of BlackBerry's future in IoT (automotive, etc), and the most secure system out there.

I hope BlackBerry 10 is still developed and handsets sold as the ultra-secure COBO alternative (without the android runtime, android apps make the system feel bad, native apps feel great). Hopefully BlackBerry can spend some of the momentum they gain with an increased marketshare to get developers to build native BB10 apps that the enterprise needs.
    09-19-15 03:11 AM
    That's the point, they already ceased BB10 development. It's going to be maintained for a few years, we even might see some bigger update as it happened for N9 after Nokia changed strategy (and I still think Harmattan in the last version was the best OS ever).

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:11 AM
    And even I really like BB10, it's non sense to invest into two very different operating systems. And it's better to put all resources to one, that they feel is the future.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:13 AM
    PlayBook 2.0 disaster

Posted via PP
    09-19-15 03:27 AM
    But if it succeeds, you'll benefit from it as a BlackBerry 10 user
    only if they intend to make more bb10 phones if not then it wont benefit blackberry 10 users will it
    acovey likes this.
    09-19-15 03:33 AM
    That's the point, they already ceased BB10 development.
    How do you know they have ceased development? Is this speculation or true insider knowledge from the company?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:40 AM
    PlayBook 2.0 disaster

Posted via PP
    This

Posted via my Passport
    09-19-15 03:42 AM
    So today I had a healthy debate with a friend about BlackBerry, he's pretty knowledgeable about phones and upgrades his almost as much as I do. I sent him the video of the slider leak today, and he almost bashed it. I wont lie people who bash the company and are die hard fans both annoy me. Why? Because someone's ignorance leads them to bash a company because they were either wronged by said company or missed out on something they offered. Die hard fans also annoy me because they become obsessed and solely focused on one company when there could be others that might better meet their needs.

Anyways, so my friend started "bashing" me saying the SD808 is old, and how BlackBerry isn't doing that well, and how he prefers the 810 (htc m9) and the 20mp camera.

I had to let him know the 810 overheats and more MP's dont mean shat(all about image processing), but this is the type of ignorance BlackBerry is getting because it has failed to focus on the correct targetted audience. BB10 is great, but consumers want something that just works.

The slider will do BlackBerry more good than bad. It'll help get it back in black(no pun intended), it'll grow the handset devision, and help familiarize potential customers that might have never used BlackBerry in the past, or bring a percentage of those that have used a BlackBerry back on board.

The look of the device is stunning, I feel like they have got a real winner on the table and I honestly think we'll see people come in waves. Sure it'll be $300� on term but if the dealers have the right amount of training then we can sell customers on the slider very easily.

Scenario 1: customer comes in looking for an s6 edge or s6 edge+. After probing to understand their needs we find out the customer has a hard time typing on the on-screen keyboard, uses a lot of apps and likes to play music/videos.

Easy upsell; you can go with the s6 edge/+, or go with the slider because it'll give you the option of typing on both keyboards, you wont have to worry about running out of room as you can insert a microSD slot for apps/videos/music + have the front facing stereo speaker to ensure your music is facing you and also sounds as nice as possible.

It's all at the mercy of the dealers who have the power to suggest other devices without much trouble(I've seen someone come in to a store to buy an samsung s5 only to walk out with an iPhone 6 only because of the "better" fingerprint scanner + "better" app store). Mind blown. Paid more, and got less.

Educating the consumers is highly important, by dealers + BlackBerry marketing the hell out of this phone!(BlackBerry HUB!!! - only if it'll support a wide variety of apps such as fb, ig, youtube, periscope, emails, sms, snapchat, etc).
    anon(9353145) and 00stryder like this.
    09-19-15 03:48 AM
    I feel this slider has polarized this community.

On one side you have the people in this video, who feel that a BlackBerry will not be a BlackBerry without its own operating system, and who feels that if everybody knew how good BB10 is everyone would use it.

On the other side you have the people who do love BB10 (otherwise they would not be part of the community), but feel that it has not gained enough momentum to be successful, and marketing will not be able to save it. Android is seen as the best way to give people apps. This camp feels strongly that the app gap is the biggest reason people do not buy BlackBerry phones.

I belong to the latter group. I love BlackBerry 10, but I feel that for BlackBerry to stay in business they need to do this. Even if Android is a worse OS, the experience slightly worse, and the security much worse, it is still the best way forward.

I truly hope that BlackBerry will keep selling BB10 phones as the only ultra-secure COBO devices out there, alongside a heavy bet on QNX for IoT. Over time I hope the BlackBerry brand is repaired as an innovative company that is still relevant, and that BlackBerry uses this momentum to slowly build up support for BB10.
    09-19-15 04:03 AM
    Blackberry is a business they are in business to make money and presently bb10 platform isnt making money its called a business decision
    bakron1, jmr1015 and BB-JAM215 like this.
    09-19-15 04:30 AM
    I for one gladly welcome the new slider, as a long time Blackberry user and supporter, I personally think they should have done this a while back.

I like OS10 and it's great features, but the market has drastically changed since 2007 and the dominant platforms are Android and IOS now.

As a company Blackberry has invested a lot of their surplus cash into security released software companies, so it's only logical they would market an Android based device with embedded security features.

I will embrace the slider and be the first one in line to buy the device. It's not about keeping OS10 anymore folks!! It's about survival and maintaining a constant revenue stream so Blackberry can survive into the future.

The Slider will have the Blackberry name on it and will certainly be a unique device which is good enough for me. I think they should have done this a long time ago because in today's market it's either roll will the competition or get rolled over, plain and simple.
    09-19-15 04:38 AM
123 123 ...