I noticed the last security patch on my PRIV is dated 10/5/2017. Verizon has stated that Blackberry is responsible for pushing out security patches. I thought Verizon was supposed to push them out.

Any thoughts on how I could bypass VZW to get the latest security patches ?

Thanks
    01-05-18 02:32 PM
    Priv went essentially EOL after the Oct patch - 24 months after launch.

BlackBerry Priv will no longer receive monthly security updates going forward https://www.crackberry.com/blackberr...-going-forward
    01-05-18 02:36 PM
    I hope Verizon will release any new updates if they come along. Thanks for the information. I missed that posting on CB.
    01-05-18 03:28 PM
    I hope Verizon will release any new updates if they come along.
    You don't really believe that, do you?
    01-05-18 04:54 PM
    Unfortunately the reality is it's very unlikely any of us Priv owners on Verizon, AT&T, etc will see another Security Patch update from BlackBerry.

BlackBerry has lost their credibility with me after the announcement of the end of support for the Priv at year end 2017... despite Thurber stating last Fall Security Patch updates would continue into 2018.

Bob
    01-05-18 06:11 PM
    Unfortunately the reality is it's very unlikely any of us Priv owners on Verizon, AT&T, etc will see another Security Patch update from BlackBerry.

BlackBerry has lost their credibility with me after the announcement of the end of support for the Priv at year end 2017... despite Thurber stating last Fall Security Patch updates would continue into 2018.

Bob
    +1
    01-05-18 06:21 PM

Bob
    Since the Priv was BlackBerry's last consumer product, I suppose they don't really care.
    01-05-18 06:41 PM
    Since the Priv was BlackBerry's last consumer product, I suppose they don't really care.
    Agreed... BlackBerry has moved on from us loyal long time BlackBerry consumer product customers.

I certainly realize and accept the fact they would end their support for the Priv at some point. My issue is with the manner in which it was handled/mishandled.

Bob
    01-05-18 07:22 PM
    Agreed... BlackBerry has moved on from us loyal long time BlackBerry consumer product customers.

I certainly realize and accept the fact they would end their support for the Priv at some point. My issue is with the manner in which it was handled/mishandled.

Bob
    Personally I felt they had been sprinting to the 2 year mark for a long time.

Dumping the DTEKs on TCL was the final proof for me.
    newcollector likes this.
    01-05-18 07:26 PM
    stock is up and that's all they care about
    01-07-18 07:04 PM
    stock is up and that's all they care about
    And BlackBerry would be in violation of its fiduciary duty to its shareholders if they didn't.
    01-07-18 07:12 PM
    And BlackBerry would be in violation of its fiduciary duty to its shareholders if they didn't.
    As a stockholder from back in the days when it was 58 dollars a share, I am more than happy to see less loss. As a phone devotees, I wish they would have been more honest and open about the Priv instead of being coy and saying may or may not, then giving the impression that security updates would continue thru part of 2018. Then Bam! No updates.

I understand, but I don't have to like it. That being said, I have moved on. I bought the BlackBerry suite so I support BlackBerry, so now I just pray for self-driving autos to be a cash cow for BlackBerry so I can lose less in my stock investment.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    01-08-18 11:19 AM
    [QUOTE=newcollector;13111456]As a phone devotees, I wish they would have been more honest and open about the Priv instead of being coy and saying may or may not, then giving the impression that security updates would continue thru part of 2018. Then Bam! No updates.
    /QUOTE]

Agreed... 👍

Bob
    01-08-18 12:02 PM
    My beef with BlackBerry, in this case, is seemingly starting the clock on how long a device will be supported before the device is generally available to all, especially those of us on Verizon. I'm not demanding any particular period of time supported but don't tell me I've gotten 2 years worth when I definitely haven't.
    bibbula likes this.
    01-08-18 12:04 PM
    My beef with BlackBerry, in this case, is seemingly starting the clock on how long a device will be supported before the device is generally available to all, especially those of us on Verizon. I'm not demanding any particular period of time supported but don't tell me I've gotten 2 years worth when I definitely haven't.
    BlackBerry never offered two years of support. Their warranty was for one year, and they promised timely update patching at a time when that was relatively rare among many manufacturers.

I think it's a totally fair complaint to say that BB's promise of timely patches implied that they would provide all available patches (though not necessarily upgrades to N). But, the reality is that whatever plans they had were based on an assumption that they were still making and selling phones.

Once they decided to exit the hardware business and knew that they could never earn another penny from their handsets, it's logical that they would want to cut their losses and provide no more than they were legally obligated to do. At that point, the ONLY question would be weighing the loss of reputation against the number of affected users.

I can pretty much guarantee that the number of active Priv users who would notice and care that they stopped receiving security patches would be pretty small. And the percentage of those users who are decision makers for purchases of BlackBerry's enterprise software products must be as close to zero as one can imagine.

With zero or few potential future customers affected, and with all of their legal obligations met, I can't imagine what the business argument would be for continuing to patch Marshmallow on the Priv.

As for security, if you're an Enterprise customers using the Priv with an EMM solution such as BB's UEM, your most sensitive information is likely still very secure. And if you're you're an individual consumer, carefully controlling the apps you install and monitoring their permissions and activities with the DTEK app protects you a lot more than most idiots on other Android phones who will install anything that catches their eye.

And if you're an idio_ using a Priv, then no amount of patching will keep you safe.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-08-18 12:31 PM