This "launch" has been abysmal...
    The phone hasn't launched yet.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 05:57 PM
    Yes, you would get LTE.

Posted via CB10
    But if out of an LTE arewa, you'd be sol.
    10-30-15 06:03 PM
    As a network engineer, I can attest to the fact that Joe Corporate absolutely DOES know about Blackberry. Especially since BYOD has grown in popularity. The corporate customer is exactly the demographic that Blackberry will be marketing to. The consumer customer will be the gravy.

Even though we all may want cell phone sales in the US to change to the European way, there is no indication that it's actually happening. Has Verizon dumped CDMA? Has Sprint? Has US Cellular? This protocol is firmly rooted.
    Yay Rick! That is what I have been yapping about a lot on these forums exactly what you said about BlackBerry's target market. This is all about augmenting their business software. Consumers are gravy.

Posted from my Z30 with Google Play Store
    10-30-15 06:05 PM
    I am at the point where I am willing to pay the cancellation fees and move to a carrier that will allow unlocked phones and isn't dependent on cdma. Seems like all the phones I want have to wait on Verizon. I want to enjoy the benefit of an unlocked phone not be dependent on a carrier.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    lift likes this.
    10-30-15 06:16 PM
    First off, I can tell you directly that I personally know people that work within Verizon in B2B sales in a very large market. They were the first people I called when I found out the Priv was official. Each of there responses were along the lines of "who cares" and "are they still around"? I'm not kidding. By the way, I was in the industry for over 10 years at a number of different carriers, I understand some aspects of this.

Corporations are creating more secure ways to use iPhones and Android devices with better security so that users can just use their own phones. Small and medium size businesses do not want to front that kind of money plus users dont want to carry multiple devices. I really dont think B2B sales are going to save BB, just not that type of world anymore. Maybe 3-5 years ago had they made this change, maybe.

Your point about CDMA does not change the fact of what I was saying. I agree, its HUGE here in the US which is EXACTLY why BB should have just built it into the device. I think we will slowly if not even somewhat quickly see a shift to companies going after the nexus model of creating phones. No bloat, sale your phone directly, activate it on any network.

Hell, If I am buy an UN-subsidized phone, why the heck do I have to buy it from the carrier and why do I have to also purchase a full price phone that can only be used on one provider. People are rebelling against that practice and BB is participating in it, thus, many non-typical BB people may refuse to buy the phone for that reason alone. If Verizon didnt have so much coverage, and T-mobiles network were better, people would leave Verizon. I dont know the timeline here, but I'm pretty sure manufacturers are going to flock to the unlocked model.
    Who makes decisions for corporate security? Who decides what phones the company will support? The higher ups in IT! Not telco business reps.
    I'm in Security software selling Identity products. (to BlackBerry specifically). For over 20 years. Corporate IT will decide fate of Priv. Not telco low end B to B reps , not consumers. It will be BlackBerry reps selling that value with help of highTelco reps. Get the word out to IT about this and they will pass message on to employees. That's what will help BlackBerry with Priv but it is really about BlackBerry Business software

10-30-15 06:18 PM
    But if out of an LTE arewa, you'd be sol.
    By the end of next year there will be no out of LTE area.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 06:18 PM
    The phone hasn't launched yet.

Posted via CB10
    It launches "officially" in a week. Yet, NO word to ANY of the potential US customers.. At all..

As a customer/consumer and many others like me feel this is unacceptable.
    baspeed likes this.
    10-30-15 06:26 PM
    I am at the point where I am willing to pay the cancellation fees and move to a carrier that will allow unlocked phones and isn't dependent on cdma. Seems like all the phones I want have to wait on Verizon. I want to enjoy the benefit of an unlocked phone not be dependent on a carrier.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Agreed, Ill most likely be moving to ATT myself. I want to buy a phone without any crap in it, and use it how I like.
    10-30-15 06:28 PM
    Who makes decisions for corporate security? Who decides what phones the company will support? The higher ups in IT! Not telco business reps.
    I'm in Security software selling Identity products. (to BlackBerry specifically). For over 20 years. Corporate IT will decide fate of Priv. Not telco low end B to B reps , not consumers. It will be BlackBerry reps selling that value with help of highTelco reps. Get the word out to IT about this and they will pass message on to employees. That's what will help BlackBerry with Priv but it is really about BlackBerry Business software

I believe you are absolutely right about BB's motives with the Priv. They want to re-insert themselves into the corporate world. This is EXACTLY the reason (I feel) they didn't just create one single phone that was universally compatible with all US carriers. They want to be able to give some exclusivity to Verizon/ATT and then T mobile/Sprint. Probably in that order. I just dont think, at this stage at least, they have the clout to win back their name/image by excluding millions of potential customers. Not only have they tarnished their image on the OS side (with the masses, not you guys obviously) but on the back end too. I hear the current version of BES is much better than older ones, (not my field) but just try convincing an IT department to move back to a system they hated. They will lobby hard against it. By the way, those high up executives are probably mostly using iPhones and Apple is creating ways to secure their system too.

Just reference this Reddit post from a few years back about how much people hated BES.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/co...erry_from_the/

I do think a secure Android is a smart move. I also think the Priv is a thing of beauty. I just dont think the old way of doing business is a very good one.

I'm not anti BB. I need to be very clear about that. I am however a very objectionable person. I hear a lot of talk about Apple and Android sheeple on this forum. I dont know if some of you realize this, but, you are exhibiting the same type of behavior. Blackberry is a corporation. They are here to win YOU over. By doing right by its customers.
    10-30-15 06:42 PM
    I believe you are absolutely right about BB's motives with the Priv. They want to re-insert themselves into the corporate world. This is EXACTLY the reason (I feel) they didn't just create one single phone that was universally compatible with all US carriers. They want to be able to give some exclusivity to Verizon/ATT and then T mobile/Sprint. Probably in that order. I just dont think, at this stage at least, they have the clout to win back their name/image by excluding millions of potential customers. Not only have they tarnished their image on the OS side (with the masses, not you guys obviously) but on the back end too. I hear the current version of BES is much better than older ones, (not my field) but just try convincing an IT department to move back to a system they hated. They will lobby hard against it. By the way, those high up executives are probably mostly using iPhones and Apple is creating ways to secure their system too.

Just reference this Reddit post from a few years back about how much people hated BES.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/co...erry_from_the/

I do think a secure Android is a smart move. I also think the Priv is a thing of beauty. I just dont think the old way of doing business is a very good one.

I'm not anti BB. I need to be very clear about that. I am however a very objectionable person. I hear a lot of talk about Apple and Android sheeple on this forum. I dont know if some of you realize this, but, you are exhibiting the same type of behavior. Blackberry is a corporation. They are here to win YOU over. By doing right by its customers.
    Completely fair and truthful comments. It will be tough for BlackBerry. But the goal is to grow their business via business software. Ultimate goal is to keep as many as possible and sell I.O.T (Internet of Things) cloud services. BlackBerry is probably the best positioned company to do that because of current infrastructure. Maybe Microsoft as a competitor.. Google and Apple don't play in this area as of today. In Summary, Give the customers what they want (PRIV) so BlackBerry can grow what they really want. I.O.T. Dominance.
    I understand it's hard to think of BlackBerry anything other than phones but that's not their future. I.O.T, MDM, and QNX, (which is base OS for over 60% Nav systems world wide in cars). See Ford Sync.
    Go Priv but such a small piece to grow the rest.

10-30-15 07:29 PM
    What about the person on this thread who said it's only the SIM card that makes it a Verizon phone??? I got SO excited to hear that it was going to be on Verizon, until I saw that post. Is it possible that Verizon is not indeed carrying it and that it's only the SIM card? I don't want to get an unlocked phone for Verizon as I would be bereft of support. Can someone in the know assure me that it will DEFINITELY be carried by Verizon??
    10-30-15 08:08 PM
    What about the person on this thread who said it's only the SIM card that makes it a Verizon phone??? I got SO excited to hear that it was going to be on Verizon, until I saw that post. Is it possible that Verizon is not indeed carrying it and that it's only the SIM card? I don't want to get an unlocked phone for Verizon as I would be bereft of support. Can someone in the know assure me that it will DEFINITELY be carried by Verizon??
    10-30-15 08:15 PM
    Is it possible that it's only an unlocked phone with a Verizon SIM card?
    10-30-15 08:17 PM
    Well I've you look, it sure was a lot of Verizon apps and notifications on there too.

Also, why would someone place a Verizon sim in a device they are obviously testing or whatever. If we assume this isn't a Verizon CDMA version, and let's say a tmobile version and that person is testing it for tmobile, then why bother with swapping a sim chip when they apparently have service and network access. Seems pointless to me to do this.

I guess we will all know soon enough after a few weeks.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 08:31 PM
    then why bother with swapping a sim chip when they apparently have service and network access. Seems pointless to me to do this.
    Maybe I answered my own question...

Unless they are TROLLING us Verizon users. Ha!

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 08:33 PM
    Look closely at the picture. The phone is in 3G mode. BlackBerry probably did like the Nexus line and made a universal phone that works on GSM and CDMA. If the phone is not white listed by Verizon, there will be no LTE even with a Verizon SIM. This photo does not PROVE Verizon will be carrying it. Most likely they will, but to me, that picture proves nothing.
    10-30-15 10:39 PM
    Well I've you look, it sure was a lot of Verizon apps and notifications on there too.

Also, why would someone place a Verizon sim in a device they are obviously testing or whatever. If we assume this isn't a Verizon CDMA version, and let's say a tmobile version and that person is testing it for tmobile, then why bother with swapping a sim chip when they apparently have service and network access. Seems pointless to me to do this.
    Posted via CB10
    I suppose the easiest answer is to simply see if it would work. The time zone update; perhaps the user just arrived to the U.S. and popped in a Verizon sim. That would explain the "new" Verizon help notification above the 45 needed app approvals.
    11-01-15 01:35 AM
    On BlackBerry's own forum on their website some people tried it with the Passport and no dice.

On Verizon's forum on their own website some people asked this question about the Passport and were told it would not work.

The Priv sold through Shop BlackBerry is listed as not being compatible with Verizon. The Passport sold through Shop BlackBerry is listed as not being compatible with Verizon. The Classic sold through Shop BlackBerry says "this version of the phone will not work with Verizon..."

Some people on here however are saying that it may work for data but not for voice/SMS.

Yes, this is a possibility and maybe only for data.
    11-01-15 01:48 AM
    More info on this....

One of his comments on Instagram says its not a Verizon evaluation unit but is a RIM unit. I'm guessing its a CDMA version (obviously)???

Guy is on Reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...izon_wireless/

Here's his Instagram
    https://instagram.com/apertura64/
    11-01-15 02:44 AM
    Not true, in fact just the opposite. Phones not white listed by Verizon can get LTE. It's the CDMA 3G service that verizon is legally allowed to block.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 08:42 AM
    Not true, in fact just the opposite. Phones not white listed by Verizon can get LTE. It's the CDMA 3G service that verizon is legally allowed to block.

Posted via CB10
    Try it with any of your BlackBerry devices that have band 13 or band 4 LTE. You will NOT get LTE in the US. The Verizon phones are unlocked for GSM SIM cards if you are going out of the country. I have tried Verizon SIM cards in lots of GSM phones that have band 4 or band 13 LTE and get no LTE. Maybe I'm wrong but there have been threads here that have said no luck getting LTE on NON Verizon phones.
    ummie4 likes this.
    11-01-15 11:14 AM
    ATT tweeted they will have the Priv on November 6th and according to their website they will have it exclusively in the US. So looks like we are screwed again by big Red
    11-02-15 10:24 AM
    ATT tweeted they will have the Priv on November 6th and according to their website they will have it exclusively in the US. So looks like we are screwed again by big Red
    If that's true then Verizon sucks way more that I thought. Also, so much for T-Mobile and BlackBerry's new "partnership".
    11-02-15 10:33 AM
    If that's true then Verizon sucks way more that I thought. Also, so much for T-Mobile and BlackBerry's new "partnership".
    I'm prepared to make the switch and give Verizon the old **** off is this is true

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 10:46 AM
    First Verizon raises the price on the grandfathered unlimited data plans and now this! What's next?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 10:50 AM
70 123