Not as scathing as I was suspecting.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/6/96...-slider-phone/
    11-06-15 08:25 AM
    Most of what I've seen has been fairly positive....

Even device has a few minor negative points. Too be honest most of the slightly negative comments can be fixed most likely...... software will mature, and hopefully the price will drop.
    Sparksx likes this.
    11-06-15 08:33 AM
    Dieter Bohn is a great reviewer. Used to read his stuff over at PreCentral.
    munakib, gizmo21 and Sparksx like this.
    11-06-15 09:32 AM
    Unfortunately for many on these forums any criticism of the the device is bashing.

My take is that at 700 I can buy top a of the line device from anyone else that checks all the boxes( or most). At 699, the priv with its 808SOC, adequate camera, and plastic build does not.

These criticisms dont make the priv a bad device. Just an overpriced one. A MotoX, 950xl, v10, 6P, Note 5, all seem to be better value IMO.

I don't buy the enterprise customer focus rhetoric. Those devices aren't sold in bestbuy.

BlackBerry really got greedy with the price. Cost absolutely factors into a fair evaluation.

!
    jope28 likes this.
    11-06-15 10:25 AM
    Unfortunately for many on these forums any criticism of the the device is bashing.

My take is that at 700 I can buy top a of the line device from anyone else that checks all the boxes( or most). At 699, the priv with its 808SOC, adequate camera, and plastic build does not.

These criticisms dont make the priv a bad device. Just an overpriced one. A MotoX, 950xl, v10, 6P, Note 5, all seem to be better value IMO.

I don't buy the enterprise customer focus rhetoric. Those devices aren't sold in bestbuy.

BlackBerry really got greedy with the price. Cost absolutely factors into a fair evaluation.

!
    Nope. You cannot buy anything at least adequate in Android for similar money.
    Simply there are no devices with physical keyboard available

Passport on 10.3.2 steroids
    11-06-15 10:28 AM

!
    How do you define value? I think that the Priv is providing value that is without compare (mostly because there just isn't any quantifiable baseline for the kinds of things they've brought to Android's software or hardware).

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 10:36 AM
    Nope. You cannot buy anything at least adequate in Android for similar money.
    Simply there are no devices with physical keyboard available

Passport on 10.3.2 steroids
    True

But the keyboard is a redundant feature. All phones have a keyboard for text input. All use the touch screen for navigation/selection/ cursor functions. One could argue that a fair review accounts for this. An extra keyboard isn't a real value add in the same way the extra screen isnt a boon for the V10. Its more of a gimmick IMO.

!
    11-06-15 10:38 AM
    True

But the keyboard is a redundant feature. All phones have a keyboard for text input. All use the touch screen for navigation/selection/ cursor functions. One could argue that a fair review accounts for this. An extra keyboard isn't a real value add in the same way the extra screen isnt a boon for the V10. Its more of a gimmick IMO.

!
    A physical keyboard is a gimmick...you're on the wrong forum then.
    And how do you gauge the value of the secure boot and the serial-injected hardware? More gimmickry?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 10:41 AM
    More and more reviews are stating the price is fair for what you are getting. While I was critical about the price myself, especially as I'm in Canada, I'd have to pay at least as much for another similar device. The Nexus 6p, for example, seems to generally be considered the best Android phone out right now and it costs the same ($899 CDN for the 128GB model as 64GB isn't enough for me) and it doesn't some of the features of Priv.
    11-06-15 10:44 AM

!
    Where I disagree with you is in that price is too high....I don't think Blackberry is looking to sell the same amount of devices as the others you have mentioned. For a "proof-of-concept" device, they probably have a target in their head in terms of how many they can realistically sell.The price-point probably reflects that target.

On a side-note, I never subscribe to the argument that for $699 one can go buy an Edge or i6s instead. My opinion is that if one wants a premium phone from another manufacturer, they should simply go to a retail outlet and buy one. Or go with a cheaper option. Blackberry has every reason to price this as a premium phone, they still have a premium reputation on security and outside of BB10 failure, the brand recognition is still there.

Outside of software, I see nothing in the edge or i6s that would make them a more premium device, and I'm not talking gimmicky features like a fingerprint scanner. Processor specs also don't mean anything on their own, but only in combination with the phone's hardware and software offerings.
    11-06-15 10:51 AM
    A physical keyboard is a gimmick...you're on the wrong forum then.
    And how do you gauge the value of the secure boot and the serial-injected hardware? More gimmickry?

Posted via CB10
    Are reviews written specifically for crackberry members?

Won't even go into a keyboard argument. I stand by what I wrote. We'll have to agree to disagree.

You last point is the key for me. BlackBerry has done a poor job of demonstrating ways in which its software and services provide real privacy and security to end users of its devices.

As a consumer walking into a carrier store and purchasing their device, what protections am I buying? What requires a subscription? And how do you gauge the value of the secure boot and the serial-injected hardware? More gimmickry?

!
    11-06-15 11:14 AM
    Where I disagree with you is in that price is too high....I don't think Blackberry is looking to sell the same amount of devices as the others you have mentioned. For a "proof-of-concept" device, they probably have a target in their head in terms of how many they can realistically sell.The price-point probably reflects that target.

On a side-note, I never subscribe to the argument that for $699 one can go buy an Edge or i6s instead. My opinion is that if one wants a premium phone from another manufacturer, they should simply go to a retail outlet and buy one. Or go with a cheaper option. Blackberry has every reason to price this as a premium phone, they still have a premium reputation on security and outside of BB10 failure, the brand recognition is still there.

Outside of software, I see nothing in the edge or i6s that would make them a more premium device, and I'm not talking gimmicky features like a fingerprint scanner. Processor specs also don't mean anything on their own, but only in combination with the phone's hardware and software offerings.
    Processor specs dont mean anything on their own. I definitely agree.

The priv shipping with an 808 and early reviews indicating performance issues or at best average performance are an indication of it being overpriced. Other 808 devices cost way less than the priv.

!
    11-06-15 11:36 AM
    Processor specs dont mean anything on their own. I definitely agree.

The priv shipping with an 808 and early reviews indicating performance issues or at best average performance are an indication of it being overpriced. Other 808 devices cost way less than the priv.

!
    But those who want a lower price-point already have it with the 5 dozen devices on the market. Blackberry already said they're not interested in competing in the mid-to-discount space. You're right that the price is the deciding factor for many, but blackberry isn't targeting that demographic, they want the high-end corporate guys/gals carrying this around.

Your argument only holds true if you view the PRIV as a general consumer phone, it has been said many times over (including by Blackberry) that it is NOT.
    FreshlySqueezed likes this.
    11-06-15 11:47 AM
    Either you want a PKB or you do not. If you want one for longer posts and you want a large screen and you want apps, this is the only phone on the market.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 11:54 AM
    I think some people underestimate the value of a pkb... the fact that the immense majority of smartphones owners have a vkb doesn't mean that they are totally happy with it... you can see it in random conversations with friends in general, where they bash the autocorrect, or how many mistakes they make when typing on glass... however, they feel it is ok enough due to the other great things the phone has... now, you give an option to get the pkb without losing the screen real estate and the apps, and then SOME people will consider it... the problem is, how many are SOME? 200k? 800k? 2M? The market will tell, but in that regard, the Priv is the only premium device with a pkb, and that was BlackBerry's bet...

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 12:09 PM
    If Vlad Savov wrote this the tone would be completely different.
    11-06-15 12:32 PM
    Yea huawei nexus 6p. Definitely better value
    Fischer price phone.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    11-06-15 12:33 PM

they still have a premium reputation on security and outside of BB10 failure, the brand recognition is still there.
    In what countries? Doesn't seem to be known in the US.
    11-06-15 12:39 PM
    I do not see the PKB as a gimmick... As BB only needs to sell 4 million or so ( providing bb10 devices can pick up the slack).... It expands the sales pool to those who still yearn for a pkb... Just like going Android opens up a new market... had they made the priv with BB10 there would be no expandable market... when BB released the Passport there were crickets chirping in the land of Android... with the priv it is wall to wall coverage... if you read the comments the pkb is a draw... people act like the pkb was created 25 years ago and the "old" crowd using pkb has dried up... it simply has not... if they even sell a couple of hundred thousand extra units.. it is units they would not have sold with a slab bb10 with no pkb....
    11-06-15 12:59 PM