I would like to share a personal observation I noticed today.

Our very own CB chief posted an article over at Android Central today about the upcoming BlackBerry slider.
    The article was well written for the likes of the AC fan base. Not too BlackBerry preachy and very informative of the possibilities of what an Android slider could off.

A trend I have noticed over the last couple of years over at AC is the hatred for anything BlackBerry. Every time an article would be posted about BBM releasing, updating, a new BlackBerry device running Android apps, a rumor of Samsung buying BlackBerry, really any article containing the word BlackBerry, it would get scorned! Absolute hatred would spew out in the comments. Disbelief in the company, insults for BlackBerry even trying, etc etc.

However, that all seemed to change today with the article from Bla1ze. If you were to scroll through the comments on the article you will notice a different tune. Users from AC reminiscing about the days of when they owned a BlackBerry. A few folks talking about how much they enjoyed their Torch! Numerous people saying how this could be the device to bring them back to a physical keyboard and BlackBerry. For once it was a joy reading an article and not feeling all the hatred of BlackBerry!

Now, I am still undecided about how this slider will turn out. Really until we play with it and have hard facts, no one knows. But honestly if it were to release with all the leaks and rumors that it has right now, I think even that would be enough to convince people. So we can only hope that the true details about the device will be even better.

Take a look at the article below...who knows, maybe AC will be the new home for many CB users!

The Android-powered BlackBerry Venice slider is starting to look real | Android Central

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport. Follow me on Twitter @BlaisKL
    08-20-15 08:21 PM
    Yep you all will be transfer to android central

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-20-15 08:25 PM
    Yep you all will be transfer to android central

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    I'll be here all by myself. �\_(ツ)_/�

Poorly written on my SE Passport. PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    08-20-15 08:28 PM
    Slider and Passport at the same time. Jump into Android with two variants of the pkb and demos for capacitive kb actions that work on both phones. One can help sell the other.

Also make BBexpSuite free for everyone. Have people learn to use the hub and maybe bb vkb and get some brand rebuilding going.
    08-20-15 09:02 PM
    I too read that and was left with a very positive vibe. Half of the fun for me is reading all of the negative remarks that would normally be posted, but could not believe all of the good things that everyone had to say. Have also read some other articles from the AT&T homepage about BB and even some of the authors of the articles said very nice things and didn't notice a lot of the usual negativity.

This might just be what is needed to help boost sales and promote the brand as well. Maybe the tide will turn
    vpblaze likes this.
    08-20-15 09:26 PM
    I too read that and was left with a very positive vibe. Half of the fun for me is reading all of the negative remarks that would normally be posted, but could not believe all of the good things that everyone had to say. Have also read some other articles from the AT&T homepage about BB and even some of the authors of the articles said very nice things and didn't notice a lot of the usual negativity.

This might just be what is needed to help boost sales and promote the brand as well. Maybe the tide will turn
    Anyone who hates BlackBerry should love the non-BB platform Slider. That includes the folks at Android Central. But, even if they don't hate the BlackBerry platform, they should love it as another Android device. They don't care too much about the OEM. They like Android from OnePlus, Motorola, Samsung, LG, Huwai, HTC, Asus, etc. They don't feel particularly loyal to any brand, they are loyal to the platform. The manufacturer of the phone is kind of irrelevant. It's about HW that runs Google's Android platform.

They haven't considered that they may not be able to root the BlackBerry Android device, making it less functional in some ways than other Android devices -- albeit more secure.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 01:52 PM
    Anyone who hates BlackBerry should love the non-BB platform Slider. That includes the folks at Android Central. But, even if they don't hate the BlackBerry platform, they should love it as another Android device. They don't care too much about the OEM. They like Android from OnePlus, Motorola, Samsung, LG, Huwai, HTC, Asus, etc. They don't feel particularly loyal to any brand, they are loyal to the platform. The manufacturer of the phone is kind of irrelevant. It's about HW that runs Google's Android platform.

They haven't considered that they may not be able to root the BlackBerry Android device, making it less functional in some ways than other Android devices -- albeit more secure.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with what you say.

Maybe the reason why they are loyal to the software as opposed to the device is because for the most part, Android devices now a days are all the same. They are all a touch screen device 5+6 inches screen size. Chances are the only difference is where a gimmicky finger print scanner or the volume up and down buttons are located. They can go from a Motorola to a LG and not feel much of a difference.

Going from a current style phone to the possible Venice is going to be a change for some. A change the some people seem to be looking forward too!

I also never considered the whole rooting thing. Personally whenever I was using Android I had no interest in going that route. I am sure some will try to do so with the upcoming BlackBerry. Let's only hope that BlackBerry puts some serious security measures in place then!

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport. Follow me on Twitter @BlaisKL
    08-21-15 03:46 PM
    Rooting as a factor to push device sales isn't important anymore to Android buyers as many of the features enabled with root have been incorporated into future software releases. If you hang out at XDA yes its important, but in recent years some phones on Verizon for example have not been rootable or if doable there was a high chance of bricking your device and it hasn't hurt Android sales.

One not much discussed factor favoring BB is that one can have some confidence that if they go the Android route they will commit to upgrade support for old devices which isn't always the case for other OEMs.
    08-21-15 04:05 PM
    I have noticed similar positive feedback on other websites I go to that usually bash BlackBerry at every chance.. I'm excited that they might have a good chance here to capture hardware sales, but in a dilemma which OS is best for me now

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 04:32 PM
    Reddit is loving the slider too compared to the usual  hate. Makes me cautiously optimistic that it will make sales goals (that aren't super tiny goals like the Passport, which made its sales goals but was always meant as a small market niche device)

I already have four sliders accounted for if all goes to plan: Two BB10 versions for myself and my Fiance who don't use a ton of apps, know how to sideload apks and install Play Store workarounds, and prefer the BlackBerry OS. Then two DroidBerries for her parents who love their current Z10's but are growing more and more app jealous of their friends iphones and androids.

This is assuming they release two versions, one a hub integrated Android with play services and another BB10 version that still has the android runtime but no official GPS.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-21-15 04:32 PM