Love how everything on Android "appears to lag"... play with the wife's lg 3g all the time.. no lag... none at all....has to do with configuration and hardware... all the generalizations get to be tedious... wait till final version before starting all this again....
    Nope, the G3 doesn't lag too badly it just stutters a lot. I have one & don't like the stutter and therefore don't use it. My Note Edge doesn't stutter but still lags a bit although not as bad as my Note 3. Oddly enough, the only phones that I have that are as fluid as my iPhone are my Blackberry 10 phones (Z30, Passport & Classic to a lesser extent) or my Windows phones (Lumia 520 (LOL) doesn't even stutter or lag as much as the G3 or Note Edge and it only costs about $60 bucks LOL and the Microsoft 640XL which is actually a great phone if you're into WP8
    Allanon89 and Joao Oliveira like this.
    09-19-15 01:59 AM
    As much as someone's repeating the hypervisor joke for the umpteenth time in a row, I'm concentrating on freaking Android lag.
    This. +1

I'm not following the Slider threads too diligently and even I am bored with the hypervisor joke. At this point, it has become a "See I was right all along and I'm going to rub it in just because I can", rather than a joke.

Q10/10.3.2
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-19-15 02:09 AM
    The hardware all looks good but I'll say it: Android looks like a joke on it. This wasn't what the first reveal looked like (when it was held up for 5 seconds). it's really a Blackberry labelled Android phone with a damn home button and no hub.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    09-19-15 02:59 AM
    The hardware all looks good but I'll say it: Android looks like a joke on it. This wasn't what the first reveal looked like (when it was held up for 5 seconds). it's really a Blackberry labelled Android phone with a damn home button and no hub.
    I agree with that, the icons and general skin look babyish on this. It sucks.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    09-19-15 03:04 AM
    You know you can customize just about everything on Android right? That's the beauty of it, download a different launcher or even some icon packs and change the look.

Or maybe it's just the wallpaper on the phone that give you that impression.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    nonamenomore and 00stryder like this.
    09-19-15 03:24 AM
    t's not lagging.. It's just how the implementation of scrolling was done. They realistically should have added a continued reaction scroll, like letting it slide a bit more before stopping. The way it works when you use a touchscreen device to scroll up and down with your finger. The problem here is that they made it a 1 to 1 ratio and it stops on a dime. They don't let it continue to scroll and slow down gracefully, thus, making it look really damn choppy when he is scrolling with it.
    Thank you for this explanation. But it seems to me that the scrolling of contents on screen begins when the finger has completed the swiping gesture on the keyboard, as if the software needed the movement to be over in order to register it as a scroll. That's what I initially perceived as "lag". So I suppose it might have more to do with the prevention of unwanted scrolling being triggered by accidental touches on the keyboard than with the smoothness of the stopping animation. Just a guess.
    09-19-15 03:33 AM
    I wonder if BlackBerry will manage to lock down extracting apks from the Venice. If not, I'll be installing whatever I can into my Nexus 4 for a more BlackBerry like experience on Android.

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    It's not a question of extracting the apk. The question would be if BlackBerry allows that the apps run on your Nexus. If BlackBerry makes it right the apps will check the device before the app starts and this check shouldn't be patcheable. If it's not an accepted device the app simply doesn't start.

A classic post via CB10 app
    09-19-15 04:06 AM
    What I would expect to happen, likely much further down the road as BlackBerry seems to have their priorities set on other ventures at this time, is for BlackBerry to approach select companies/dev houses like they did for Facebook and Twitter for BB10 and offer to add in integration into Blend. Remember, BlackBerry is still facing an uphill battle with dev support; who's to say dev would flock to modifying their apps and services to support Blend in the first place?

The good news I have for you is that Blend appears to be present on the Venice as depicted in the pic shared below (icon in the far right column, just above Google Drive), so there's that at least.
    Posted via CB10
    Very good point on security. Thinking on it, yes most likely it will be BlackBerry approaching other devs whose apps would fit into Blend. I personally don't use WhatsApp but that's one company they should probably approach for integration given its popularity.

Nice catch on the icon, that does indeed look like it! Very happy to see that. I use AirDroid but I'd prefer consistency across devices so I'm glad they're porting it over. I wonder if they'll do the same with iPhone and WP as part of the BlackBerry Experience Suite?
    00stryder likes this.
    09-19-15 04:38 AM
    They used LG's knock to wake lol.

Posted via CB10
    Even HTCs have those

Q-ing through with Q10
    09-19-15 05:49 AM
    It does look like there's a hub, and if you don't like how Blackberry's take on Android looks, change it. Simple as that.
    09-19-15 06:42 AM
    This is one of the top videos on youtube recently? I'm seeing it in FastTube under the Popular heading. Nothing else in the Popular section is market toward my interests, so...

Attachment 372064
    09-19-15 06:56 AM
    I'll wait:

1. I wanna see what the professional reviewers say.
    LOL, depends on who's paying them.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 07:14 AM
    Thank you for this explanation. But it seems to me that the scrolling of contents on screen begins when the finger has completed the swiping gesture on the keyboard, as if the software needed the movement to be over in order to register it as a scroll. That's what I initially perceived as "lag". So I suppose it might have more to do with the prevention of unwanted scrolling being triggered by accidental touches on the keyboard than with the smoothness of the stopping animation. Just a guess.
    Have you used the keyboard on the Passport? Honestly, it is pretty hard to trigger spurious scrolling while typing. Scrolling only triggers when you slide your finger from one key to its neighboring key (there is only one sensor per key, and therefore detecting a sequence of key touches is the only way it knows which direction to scroll). And certainly once you press down on a key, it prevents the any subsequent key touch from registering as the n+1th key touch in the sequence (i.e. It resets).

You'd had to have pretty serious hand/finger motor control issues to NOT be able learn how to use the keyboard properly.

What is seen on the screen here is more of a UI scroll handling issue. The continuous/momentum scroll is just a programmatically determined behavior, just like the 'elastic'/'rubber band' scrolling behavior. They probably just haven't gotten around to polish it that far.

Posted via CB10
    bp2k7 and Joao Oliveira like this.
    09-19-15 08:04 AM
    it's really a Blackberry labelled Android phone with a damn home button and no hub.
    Why do people keep insisting there's no Hub. At the 1:05 mark he says "BlackBerry Hub" and shows the Hub icon. Yet I still keep reading from people, "No Hub!"
    09-19-15 10:22 AM
    Why do people keep insisting there's no Hub. At the 1:05 mark he says "BlackBerry Hub" and shows the Hub icon. Yet I still keep reading from people, "No Hub!"
    I think because the hub isn't exactly like on BB10
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-19-15 10:34 AM
    Here's my take on this and consider me agnostic insofar as OS is concerned. My first smartphone was an iphone 3s. Overall ok experience however i just got fed up of having to pray to the itunes god every time i needed to copy/move files to and from my desktop. Once i heard you can drag and drop files with android, me and Apple were done. I upgraded to a Sony Xperia S in September 2012. The experience was on whole fine however the experience was getting less pleasant by the spring of 2015. Primary reason for this was no more upgrades from Sony after Jelly Bean, phone was lagging and the actual phone functionality was sub par (even dialing a number could freeze the phone). I started shopping around for a new unlocked android and stumbled on a Staples promotion for a new Blackberry Z30 at $269 in June of this year.. Well my frugal side couldn't let go a deal so I took the plunge into the unknown. Let me tell you that I haven't look back since. I absolutely love this phone and more specifically the OS. I truly do not see my myself ever going back to Android. I am not the most tech savvy person around but I was able to load up the Google playstore without much fuzz. Integration with Google calendar and gmail on the Hub is great. I truly believe Blackbery's problem is a marketing one and not a product one. Maybe they should have spent more resources to simply cut some sort of deal for google integration for those users who want it. Doing that I think would driven sales on devices way higher and would have brought back the developers. I don't think a Blackberry branded android device will even get noticed. Just my take.
    DolemiteDONS and Allanon89 like this.
    09-19-15 10:41 AM
    I think because the hub isn't exactly like on BB10
    Rightfully so, this isn't BB10. I feel like we should have a memorial service here on CB, clearly not all of us are dealing with grief in a productive way...

P.S. I love BB10 thoroughly and in fact held onto my Storm 2 for 3+ years waiting for the Z10 to come to Verizon. I'm now on the Z30 and loving it. However, I'm also a (small) BlackBerry investor and enthusiast; I'd rather see the company live on than stick to my chops so fervently. Especially when it honestly means next to nothing about what I think in terms of BlackBerry's business decisions as they're probably already expecting a small minority of BlackBerry faithful to feel slighted by the move to Android. But, the writing's on the wall: BB10 is not profitable for BlackBerry as it stands. Hopefully it can find good use in the corporate arena in industries with ultra-sensitive security needs like the government/military, health care (outside of BYOD, most docs won't give up their iPhones), banks, etc.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 10:44 AM
    I don't know,.. yesterday when I first clicked the link to the video it had about 160 views.

In about 24 hours it now has over 200,000.

I'd say the Venice will do more for the brand than any marketing attempt by BlackBerry could have.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 10:44 AM
    Two questions:

1. Does it have the notification led?
    2. What happens when you just start typing from the home screen? Will it go to BB Search automatically?
    09-19-15 10:45 AM
    I don't think a Blackberry branded android device will even get noticed. Just my take.
    Totally off topic but, cutest avatar ever!

Lol but back on topic, you may be right, or you may be (pleasantly?) surprised. Who knows. What I do know is that the Venice has the Android community buzzing. No device since the introduction of BB10 has ever had non-BlackBerry users this excited before.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 10:48 AM
    I don't know,.. yesterday when I first clicked the link to the video it had about 160 views.

In about 24 hours it now has over 200,000.

I'd say the Venice will do more for the brand than any marketing attempt by BlackBerry could have.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry Venice is still 3rd in top trending threads in Android Authority.
    Venice hands-on video-venice-trending.jpg
    09-19-15 10:54 AM
    Two questions:

1. Does it have the notification led?
    2. What happens when you just start typing from the home screen? Will it go to BB Search automatically?
    1. We think so, yes. One of the first leaked pics (the one of it sitting on the arm of a couch and ultimately cropped out of the surrounding image by Bla1ze or whoever shared it with him) that showed the Venice plugged in had a small red light showing in the top right-hand corner where the LED has been present on previous devices.

2. Great question. I'm going to go on a limb and say that the huge Google search bar at the top of the screen will likely take precedence over BlackBerry's universal search, but that's just a guess. Unless the Google search bar is integrated into universal search? Hmmm...

Also wanted to make mention that surprisingly the keyboard backlight didn't activate when the device was opened. I'm going to chalk it up to this being an evaluation device but hope it's not a sign that it was left out of the device design for whatever reason...

Posted via CB10
    ayngling and stardomains like this.
    09-19-15 10:54 AM
    Nice catch on the icon, that does indeed look like it! Very happy to see that. I use AirDroid but I'd prefer consistency across devices so I'm glad they're porting it over. I wonder if they'll do the same with iPhone and WP as part of the BlackBerry Experience Suite?
    I'm actually weary about BlackBerry including Blend as a downloadable app for non-Venice android devices as another way to differentiate the device from the masses, just as they did with Blend on BB10 even though you could use it to connect to iPads and Android tablets. I'm not too sure that BlackBerry plans to include it in the BlackBerry Experience Suite, but that would probably depend on how gung-ho they are about driving revenue from software fees/services. More than likely BlackBerry will use the Venice launch to gauge how they proceed with BlackBerry-only software features on other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 11:01 AM
    I'm actually weary about BlackBerry including Blend as a downloadable app for non-Venice android devices as another way to differentiate the device from the masses, just as they did with Blend on BB10 even though you could use it to connect to iPads and Android tablets. I'm not too sure that BlackBerry plans to include it in the BlackBerry Experience Suite, but that would probably depend on how gung-ho they are about driving revenue from software fees/services. More than likely BlackBerry will use the Venice launch to gauge how they proceed with BlackBerry-only software features on other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    Good point. Well perhaps if it's free with the Slider but you can purchase it for other non-BlackBerry devices, that would be a good compromise. All pure speculation of course!
    00stryder likes this.
    09-19-15 11:05 AM
    But, the writing's on the wall: BB10 is not profitable for BlackBerry as it stands. Hopefully it can find good use in the corporate arena in industries with ultra-sensitive security needs like the government/military, health care (outside of BYOD, most docs won't give up their iPhones), banks, etc.

Posted via CB10
    I hope they continue work on the OS in the background as well. There are those niche environments where it's suitable (ie lack of large app ecosystem doesn't matter). If the Android BB concept takes off, then I think it's possible they could quietly continue BB10 on a slower development path. I know it's not 2007 but back in the day Apple worked on the iPhone secretly for four years without everyone looking over their shoulder. And since Chen has talked up verticals, there could be growth for the OS in non-mobile sectors perhaps?
    ayngling and 00stryder like this.
    09-19-15 11:12 AM
386 ... 89101112 ...