Love that it has the touch sensitive keyboard. It's so much better to scroll through long web pages, I use it a lot on my Passport
    Hopefully Android users will be introduced to keyboard shortcuts and actions as well.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-18-15 05:13 PM
    Uh... how is the keyboard (the primary interface with which a user enters text into their communication device)... 'a gimmick'?

A gimmick is something like the 3d touch, or the edge notifications, maybe even voice assistants,.. but a keyboard is certainly not a gimmick.

Posted via CB10
    100x... Calling the keyboard a "gimmick" it's just... I don't want to call it a name...

First of all. If you're a experienced user, Physical keyboard allows you to text without even looking at the phone, you can text with your hands under a table. A physical keyboard even allows you to easly type whule walking or even slow running. So gimmick my ***...

3D touch? Isn't 3D touch a way of trying to get the Vkb to feel like a Pkb? So what do you prefer? an emulation or the real deal?

I use the touch enabled keyabord features on my passport to improve the ease of use of the phone.

Scrolling throught pages is a lot more effortless scrolling on the keyboard, because it's more sensitive, you don't have to move your thumb as much to scroll the same content, and you never block content with your finger.

I use the "swipe down" on the keybard all the time to input numbers and symbols while texting, so I don't have to go to the touch screen to add special characters. This way, I learn so muscle memory, so without even looking at the phone I've learned some character imputs that would me impossible to do with touch only.
    david7saad likes this.
    09-18-15 05:18 PM
    Has there ever been a BlackBerry device that doesn't?

Posted via CB10
    Has there ever been a BlackBerry device with android?

To the Phone: The OS is so stuttery when he scrolls. Android needs the "killer specs" so it runs alright, but it stutters like crazy.

Strangely, BlackBerry10 runs really smooth with "out to date specs".

09-18-15 05:27 PM
    Interesting that the screen is curved but not the display

Q10 on 10.3.2.2474
    FALSE. Did you even bother watching the video?... leaks of the screen showed up this week, the OLED panel sits flush with the screen. The screen is curved, but just a little. The Samsung S6 edge is only curved a little bit aswell, not as much as the Galaxy Note Edge, that one has a Huge edge

Venice hands-on video-venice-edge.jpg

And the guy that did the video confirmed that it HAS the curved edges.
    Venice hands-on video-venice-edge2.jpg

The theory of Curved glass, but not curved screen, makes no sense, it would have to create a huge gap between glass and display and make the display (and phone) thicker for NO reason, Just to make it uglier and low tech like a phone from 2005
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 09-18-15 at 05:46 PM.
    09-18-15 05:27 PM
    Interesting that XDA already has a subforum for this device. They seem confident that it will be an Android device they can play with.
    BlackBerry Venice - XDA Forums
    Good comments already. Let's hope BlackBerry doesn't screw up this chance.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 05:29 PM
    Good comments already. Let's hope BlackBerry doesn't screw up this chance.

Posted via CB10
    All the android based forums that have featured the Venice have had hugely positive comments that I've seen
    09-18-15 05:37 PM

4. To look good and eye catching. Easy as that. S6 Edge with this screen is selling pretty well despite being 100$ more expensive than the regular S6.
    As mentioned the screen is edged not the display, and yes 100$ expensive just for the look it's useless but eye catching I've used it, it looks good but useless

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 05:49 PM
    FALSE. Did you even bother watching the video?... leaks of the screen showed up this week, the OLED panel sits flush with the screen. The screen is curved, but just a little. The Samsung S6 edge is only curved a little bit aswell, not as much as the Galaxy Note Edge, that one has a Huge edge

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venice edge.jpg 
Views:	847 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	372004

And the guy that did the video confirmed that it HAS the curved edges.

Name:	Venice edge2.jpg 
Views:	833 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	372005

The theory of Curved glass, but not curved screen, makes no sense, it would have to create a huge gap between glass and display and make the display (and phone) thicker for NO reason, Just to make it uglier and low tech like a phone from 2005
    The curve glass actually makes the device look like has a thinner edge (especially when the screen is off and it all looks black). Even if there are no active display elements behind it, it is a good design move to prevent the phone from having a 'chunky' look (like the torch).

It's hard to tell whether the thin sliver of displayed image that shows up on the curved edges is simply a result of the bent glass diffraction, or whether there are actual curved active emitting elements behind it. I guess it doesn't really matter (because the effect is the same).

The real question is whether you can interact with the UI elements displayed on the curved edge sections.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 05:53 PM
    Venice hands-on video-sdfsdf.png

Looks curved to me, just like the S6.

People are expecting it to be like the note edge, which theyll be sadly wrong.
    09-18-15 05:55 PM
    The screen is curved but i think the point is the actual display (whats is seen on the screen) doesnt use the curves really. It doesnt look like you would get much use of the edges other that limited notifications. Its not as drastic and userful as with the sammy edge where you can display messages on the side even
    09-18-15 06:00 PM

Name:	sdfsdf.png 
Views:	2467 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	372007

Looks curved to me, just like the S6.

People are expecting it to be like the note edge, which theyll be sadly wrong.
    Yeah, it sure does.
    09-18-15 06:00 PM
    As mentioned the screen is edged not the display, and yes 100$ expensive just for the look it's useless but eye catching I've used it, it looks good but useless

Posted via CB10
    The display is edged aswell. it's like the BLOODY GALAXY S6 EDGE for fu** sake...lol. It's like this:

yes, the usefullness is not much. who knows if blackberry is going to implement some features like samsung. The owner of the video OP posted said the edged screen made it confortable to use. Probabily it's a design feature aswell to make the device look thinner that waht it actually is. The S6 edge looks thiner than the normal S6, but it's actually a tiny bit thicker.

Venice hands-on video-venice-edge2.jpg
    09-18-15 06:11 PM
    To me, it's almost like this phone is trying to be all things to all people - and who says that can't work?

I for one cannot wait to get my hands on one.
    09-18-15 06:11 PM
    The screen is curved but i think the point is the actual display (whats is seen on the screen) doesnt use the curves really. It doesnt look like you would get much use of the edges other that limited notifications. Its not as drastic and userful as with the sammy edge where you can display messages on the side even
    Even on the Samsung phones it screams gimmicky to me. I'm blue skying a situation where edge curved notifications would actually come in handy and I'm at a loss... Frankly, the blinking LED is far more useful, especially with different colours.
    09-18-15 06:13 PM
    Even on the Samsung phones it screams gimmicky to me. I'm blue skying a situation where edge curved notifications would actually come in handy and I'm at a loss... Frankly, the blinking LED is far more useful, especially with different colours.
    The usefulness of the edged screen would be if the device is faced down as samsung demosntrated, makes the phone being able to show you information, like if a call is being received with the phone being faced down. The trouble is that I don't think anybody would want to put an expensive screen like this facing down
    09-18-15 06:15 PM
    [QUOTE=BriniaSona;11933440]Click image for larger version. 

Snapdragon 808 confirmed!!
    MSM8992

Quit hating, Start appreciating! Android is good and BlackBerry10 is good! 그만 싸웁시다
    09-18-15 06:23 PM
    [QUOTE=z3user;11933486]

Snapdragon 808 confirmed!!
    MSM8992

Quit hating, Start appreciating! Android is good and BlackBerry10 is good! 그만 싸웁시다

I wasn't hating. I have the HTC M9 myself.
    09-18-15 06:25 PM
    The usefulness of the edged screen would be if the device is faced down as samsung demosntrated, makes the phone being able to show you information, like if a call is being received with the phone being faced down. The trouble is that I don't think anybody would want to put an expensive screen like this facing down
    Yes, and nobody I know either. Real world scenario: most people would pull the phone below the boardroom table and surreptitiously read their messages in any event. The edge is just a variation on a notification, and in that case a blinking LED does the job, imo.
    Joao Oliveira and 00stryder like this.
    09-18-15 06:26 PM
    They realistically should have added a continued reaction scroll, like letting it slide a bit more before stopping. The way it works when you use a touchscreen device to scroll up and down with your finger.
    The problem is possibly related to software tuning: making the device NOT launch into "scroll mode" every time the user just brushes the keyboard as a precursor (no pun intended) to typing... which goes back to my point about the benefit of having the toolbelt and a 'purpose built' scrolling control (the trackpad) and unambiguous "the keyboard is just a keyboard when I'm touching it I'm not trying to scroll just type and when I touch the trackpad I'm not trying to type just scroll". A device so equipped wouldn't have to spend one cycle of CPU time figuring out whether or not the user "meant it".

I was also thinking that the curved edges of the screen give the screen a firm back BUT also give the illusion of thinness... if the screen wasn't curved, there'd need to be some side bezel that would increase the width of the screen or just give the appearance that the device is thicker than it actually is. Effectively, the screen "wraps around" the tracks that the screen slides in, and the perception is that the device is thinner: you don't see the sides of the "slider mechanism" you see "the screen" when you look at the edge.
    09-18-15 06:37 PM
    Please, please, please let there be an all BB10 version!!!! I would buy in a heartbeat!! The Android version, I would have to pass on.

Posted via CB10
    I am feeling exactly opposite. I am likely going to buy the Android-powered BlackBerry Venice... but if it was just another BB10 device, I'd pass.
    kbz1960 and nonamenomore like this.
    09-18-15 06:39 PM
    I was also thinking that the curved edges of the screen give the screen a firm back BUT also give the illusion of thinness... if the screen wasn't curved, there'd need to be some side bezel that would increase the width of the screen or just give the appearance that the device is thicker than it actually is. Effectively, the screen "wraps around" the tracks that the screen slides in, and the perception is that the device is thinner: you don't see the sides of the "slider mechanism" you see "the screen" when you look at the edge.
    If you go to a store a pick a Galaxy S6 "normal" vs a Galaxy S6 edge, the Edge feels thinner. But the S6 is 6.8 mm thick, the S6 edge is 7.1mm thick

So knowing the slider will have to be a bit thicker due to sliding mechanism, the curved screen might be a smart way to make it look and feel slim.... and it's very eye catching at the stores wich might help too
    09-18-15 06:50 PM
    If you go to a store a pick a Galaxy S6 "normal" vs a Galaxy S6 edge, the Edge feels thinner. But the S6 is 6.8 mm thick, the S6 edge is 7.1mm thick

So knowing the slider will have to be a bit thicker due to sliding mechanism, the curved screen might be a smart way to make it look and feel slim.... and it's very eye catching at the stores wich might help too
    I actually dislike how thin the edges of the S6 Edge are. They almost cut into your palms as you hold the device.
    09-18-15 07:06 PM
    the rounded edges give it that glassy jelly like look that everybody... loves... and... HEY, didn't iOS, Android and BB just ditch that shiny rounded glass look? Uh oh... better go back and put the jellyglass effects back in, quick!
    09-18-15 07:28 PM
    the rounded edges give it that glassy jelly like look that everybody... loves... and... HEY, didn't iOS, Android and BB just ditch that shiny rounded glass look? Uh oh... better go back and put the jellyglass effects back in, quick!
    what exactly you mean with jellyglass efects?
    09-18-15 07:51 PM
    [QUOTE=BriniaSona;11933490]

I wasn't hating. I have the HTC M9 myself.
    Sorry that's my crackberry forum signature not aimed at anyone specific... just to those hating each other

09-18-15 07:56 PM
386 ... 678910 ...