Even if it is just a gimmick, it will probably compel journalists/bloggers to write about it, and help show the world that BlackBerry is an innovative company. This is about rebranding.
    And I actually hope it starts a renaissance for the PKB, so a few years later Apple will "invent" it for the iPhone 8. Then we will finally have more choices for PKB phones.
    09-18-15 02:26 PM
    The physical keyboard is gimmick because there're already a virtual keyboard.

3d touch (I bilieve you refer to Apple's 3D Touch) isn't gimmick because it can help making the virtual keyboard more realistic.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree with you buddy. Physical keyboard is no gimmick. The fact that I'm typing this via an onscreen keyboard and having to fix some of my errors that my auto correct isn't catching just proves that some people, along with myself would prefer a physical keyboard.

The last few android phones with a physical keyboard were pretty low end devices so this being high end and all I'm sure it'll entice people who text alot, email alot, etc.

Also while I'm at it, tablets (iPad, Windows 8 and Android) all have their onscreen keyboards but there's a reason why they sell cases with built in physical keyboards.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-18-15 02:27 PM
    IMO, this device ticks a lot of the right boxes for Android and BlackBerry users. BlackBerry users want the HUB, capacitive PKB, the BB VKB, notification LED, and importantly, apps. Android users want (from reading Reddit and other forums) a big battery, NFC, micro sd, and a skinned version of Android very close to stock (some of these things BB users have had for a while).

I think this will sell to current BB fans and actually grab some Android fans that have been disappointed with the flagships this year. Not sure what some BB fans will do if there is no OS10 version though.
    couldn't have said it any better...well deserved comment
    09-18-15 02:28 PM

3d touch (I bilieve you refer to Apple's 3D Touch) isn't gimmick because it can help making the virtual keyboard more realistic.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I hear it's almost like pressing a button, lol.

Seriously though, we now know it's touch capacitive so it's isn't just a physical keyboard. And if they implement actions and shortcuts as well it's considerably more than that. The Passport was my first pkb device, and both of those features are fantastic and not even remotely gimmicky, imho. I think there are a lot of Android users who will feel the same way about the Slider.
    thepolishguy likes this.
    09-18-15 02:29 PM
    I think it is BB10 under Android skin. So stay tuned. Let's wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're wrong. But we will see.
    southlander likes this.
    09-18-15 02:29 PM
    Now all we need is an official launch date and I will buy one the date it's released. I know the faithful hate Android and so on, but it's still a Blackberry device with some features that make it unique like the hub and so on.

This is only an evaluation device, but I like what I see so far, I only wish they would have sent me a test device to evaluate which I would have gladly done for free and probably turned a few folks back to Blackberry here in the USA during the evaluation process.
    09-18-15 02:30 PM
    Now all we need is an official launch date and I will buy one the date it's released. I know the faithful hate Android and so on, but it's still a Blackberry device with some features that make it unique like the hub and so on. This is only an evaluation device, but I like what I see so far, I only wish they would have sent me a test device to evaluate which I would have gladly done for free and probably turned a few folks back to Blackberry here in the USA while I was testing the device.
    The rumour is that they are waiting for Marshmallow before they launch.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-18-15 02:31 PM
    Uh... how is the keyboard (the primary interface with which a user enters text into their communication device)... 'a gimmick'?

A gimmick is something like the 3d touch, or the edge notifications, maybe even voice assistants,.. but a keyboard is certainly not a gimmick.

Posted via CB10

I think you misunderstood me. I love it. But even if the niche for people wanting it is very small (the comment I quoted, even if I feel it is a larger group), the TC keyboard has a marketing purpose.
    09-18-15 02:32 PM
    IMO, this device ticks a lot of the right boxes for Android and BlackBerry users. BlackBerry users want the HUB, capacitive PKB, the BB VKB, notification LED, and importantly, apps. Android users want (from reading Reddit and other forums) a big battery, NFC, micro sd, and a skinned version of Android very close to stock (some of these things BB users have had for a while).

I think this will sell to current BB fans and actually grab some Android fans that have been disappointed with the flagships this year. Not sure what some BB fans will do if there is no OS10 version though.
    also good ole blackberry notifications and convienence keys
    09-18-15 02:33 PM
    How much carrier bloat ware will there be?
    Pretty sure sure there wont be any BB bloatware... Carriers might add their own to it
    09-18-15 02:33 PM
    The rumour is that they are waiting for Marshmallow before they launch.

For the selective app permissions? That would make a lot of sense as far as BlackBerry's position on security and privacy.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-18-15 02:35 PM

3d touch (I believe you refer to Apple's 3D Touch) isn't gimmick because it can help making the virtual keyboard more realistic.

Posted via CB10
    Lol... what's more realistic than a real keyboard? A gimmick is a feature that is seldom used, and more frequently turned off or disabled because it gets in the way of real-life workflow of the UI.

A physical keyboard (or any keyboard really) is used almost 100% of the time that text entry is required. And it's safe to say that text entry is one of the core functions of a smartphone (otherwise get a feature phone).

For those that appreciate the precision of a physical keyboard, over the reliance on 'heat-mapping' and auto-correct algorithms necessary for virtual keyboards to approximate a physical keyboard, I can assure you that the Slider's physical kb will be a primary feature.

3D Touch is a gimmick (for now) because it certainly is not a required part of a device's primary workflow (all current apps do not require it). Maybe eventually it will be more solidly incorporated into standard user interface paradigms.
    will308 and nonamenomore like this.
    09-18-15 02:37 PM
    I think you misunderstood me. I love it. But even if the niche for people wanting it is very small (the comment I quoted, even if I feel it is a larger group), the TC keyboard has a marketing purpose.
    Gotcha... perhaps you meant to say that the physical keyboard will serve as a differentiating feature that will (hopefully) be exploited for marketing.

A gimmick usually is something that is marketed as being a differentiating feature, but in actuality has very little practical day-to-day use.
    09-18-15 02:41 PM
    Thank you very much.
    I love how it lags when scrolling through the apps with the capacitive keyboard. Welcome to Android.
    It's not lagging.. It's just how the implementation of scrolling was done. They realistically should have added a continued reaction scroll, like letting it slide a bit more before stopping. The way it works when you use a touchscreen device to scroll up and down with your finger. The problem here is that they made it a 1 to 1 ratio and it stops on a dime. They don't let it continue to scroll and slow down gracefully, thus, making it look really damn choppy when he is scrolling with it. They just need to allow for a graceful slow scroll before stopping. The device isn't actually lagging, it just appears that way because you aren't used to seeing scrolling that stops so abruptly.
    09-18-15 02:42 PM
    Does anyone think us recent passport users may get an option to update or get this OS when it's released on the slider?

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-18-15 02:44 PM
    Great preview video. I will be in line to snag one of these.
    09-18-15 02:45 PM
    Does anyone think us recent passport users may get an option to update or get this OS when it's released on the slider?

Posted via CB10
    Nah...
    We will get 10.3.3

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 02:46 PM
    Gotcha... perhaps you meant to say that the physical keyboard will serve as a differentiating feature that will (hopefully) be exploited for marketing.

A gimmick usually is something that is marketed as being a differentiating feature, but in actuality has very little practical day-to-day use.
    Yeah, those are better words I was only giving the person I quoted an alternative way to look at the TC keyboard, even if the impression is that the niche wanting it is small, that it can get the word out.

Personally I am a pkb addict, been using a Q10 since it came out (and the passport, but never got used to the layout of the keys, so switched back to the Q10).

Man the slider is gonna be awesome.
    09-18-15 02:50 PM
    Nah...
    We will get 10.3.3

Posted via CB10
    Is that a definate?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 02:51 PM
    Battery life
    78% - approx. 11 hrs left
    Source: androidauthority.com

Attachment 371965
    14% screen brightness?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    09-18-15 02:58 PM
    Is that a definate?

Posted via CB10
    That only means that BB10 devices should only expect small support updates from here on in.

10.3.3 may remove the Android Runtime to accommodate the Venice.

09-18-15 03:00 PM
    It's not lagging.. It's just how the implementation of scrolling was done. They realistically should have added a continued reaction scroll, like letting it slide a bit more before stopping. The way it works when you use a touchscreen device to scroll up and down with your finger. The problem here is that they made it a 1 to 1 ratio and it stops on a dime. They don't let it continue to scroll and slow down gracefully, thus, making it look really damn choppy when he is scrolling with it. They just need to allow for a graceful slow scroll before stopping. The device isn't actually lagging, it just appears that way because you aren't used to seeing scrolling that stops so abruptly.
    That's what I saw. Besides that, I thought all the onscreen movement looked quite slick and smooth.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-18-15 03:00 PM
    14% screen brightness?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    Screen used 14% battery...
    It's not the brightness level

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 03:11 PM
    Is that a definate?

Posted via CB10
    Nothing for sure untill it's official but it looks like 10.3.3 is comming.
    We don't know what it will bring

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 03:12 PM
    For the selective app permissions? That would make a lot of sense as far as BlackBerry's position on security and privacy.
    They can already have that by pulling in code underneath CyanogenMod Privacy Guard app. Remember app permissions have been in Android since KitKat but its been buried and arcane to the average user; Marshmallow just makes it user friendly.

Venice hands-on video-cm-privacy-guard-2.png
    09-18-15 03:17 PM
386 ... 45678 ...