Venice hands-on video-1442597050009_787902.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 12:25 PM
    Detail of the Schneider-Kreuznach optics. Courtesy blackberbase.net.

Posted via CB10
    Munich669 and nonamenomore like this.
    09-18-15 12:26 PM
    It will be mine....oh yes...

It will be mine....
    09-18-15 12:27 PM
    This phone makes a lot more sense now after the Good acquisition. Chen's plan is starting to unfold. BB10 + BES is an eroding market even with BES's capabilities to containerize other devices. Companies simply want no part of it. Now with Good Chen can sell them a secured Android device that leverages AFW, has a VKB + touch sensitive PKB, good specs, access to all the GAPPS, Google Services, as well as Play Store. The device also uses stock Android so any OS updates (security fixes) will come to the device much faster. Add in the Blackberry apps like hub, contacts, search, and you have a very compelling offering to enterprises. Chen can also promise licensing discounts to companies willing to exclusively offer only their device to their employees. Brilliant strategy on paper. Let's hope it works for Blackberry's sake.
    09-18-15 12:43 PM
    I'll wait:

1. I wanna see what the professional reviewers say.
    2. How much carrier bloat ware will there be?
    3. Can the BlackBerry Suites of apps be purchased separately?, which would include the Hub? If so How much?
    4. How long would it take carriers to make Marshmallow available to download.

If #3 is possible & #2 & #4 are a problem, the Moto X Pure Edition might be the better alternative. No carrier bloat. You can choose any carrier. Faster updates.
    09-18-15 12:45 PM
    and huge

...if it had the toolbelt I'd agree with you. It's ALMOST the best of every world...
    Who needs the tool belt on an all-touch phone (with a sliding touch-sensitive pkb)?

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    southlander and saxxman like this.
    09-18-15 12:46 PM
    Beautiful device, but I sure hope it has the notification LED
    This is my only question I have left about the device. Really hope it has the red notification light!
    Of course it has the notification LED, it's still a BlackBerry after all.

Venice hands-on video-blackberry-venice-slider-cam-crop-emboss.jpg
    09-18-15 12:46 PM
    I'll wait:

3. Can the BlackBerry Suites of apps be purchased separately?, which would include the Hub? If so How much?

If #3 is possible & #2 & #4 are a problem, the Moto X Pure Edition might be the better alternative. No carrier bloat. You can choose any carrier. Faster updates.
    Except the moto X pure is way too big for me. And hopefully bloatware can be removed by rooting. I suspect the Hub and at least some of the suite would be preloaded so this can be a device to show those features off and get them out into the public
    09-18-15 12:47 PM
    I'll wait:

Wth is a 'professional reviewer'??

Bloggers that get paid for the ads their content causes to be viewed? Yeah... no.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 12:50 PM
    Yeah, but that's a 2009 design - or maybe late 2008 depending on when development with AT&T actually started.
    Everything (batteries among others) was thick in those days . . . I continued to carry Torch (9800 / 9810) and Storm (Torch 9850 / 9860 without sliding keyboard to be precise) in my pocket until the arrival of Z10 and Q10.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    09-18-15 12:54 PM
    I'm starting to love her more everytime I see her,lol
    09-18-15 12:54 PM
    Battery life
    78% - approx. 11 hrs left
    Source: androidauthority.com

Venice hands-on video-battery.jpg
    09-18-15 12:55 PM
    IMO, this device ticks a lot of the right boxes for Android and BlackBerry users. BlackBerry users want the HUB, capacitive PKB, the BB VKB, notification LED, and importantly, apps. Android users want (from reading Reddit and other forums) a big battery, NFC, micro sd, and a skinned version of Android very close to stock (some of these things BB users have had for a while).

I think this will sell to current BB fans and actually grab some Android fans that have been disappointed with the flagships this year. Not sure what some BB fans will do if there is no OS10 version though.
    09-18-15 12:55 PM
    We know the physical keyboard is a niche draw; it remains to be seen just how large or small that niche is.

Venice hands-on video-joseph-volpe-twitter-hurry-up-release-phone-already-blackberry-http-t.co-85pkinl.png
    09-18-15 12:58 PM
    Except the moto X pure is way too big for me. And hopefully bloatware can be removed by rooting. I suspect the Hub and at least some of the suite would be preloaded so this can be a device to show those features off and get them out into the public
    If it's Secure Android I kinda doubt they would make it rootable. That's one thing turning off companies, and Good For Enterprise specifically looks for rooted devices and disables access.
    09-18-15 12:58 PM
    Battery life
    78% - approx. 11 hrs left
    Source: androidauthority.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battery.jpg 
Views:	2264 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	371965
    Well yeah as you can see, screen was on all the time so makes sense and isn't that bad though.
    Still i do not think it wil reach the passports batterylife

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 01:03 PM
    This phone has the BlackBerry hub as he showed firstly in the homescreen the menu button and moving towards the right and also spotted this in the menu! )

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails Venice hands-on video-screenshot_2015-09-18-18-59-45-2.jpg  
    09-18-15 01:05 PM
    Who needs the tool belt on an all-touch phone (with a sliding touch-sensitive pkb)?
    Someone who doesn't want a touch-sensitive keyboard that turns the selection cursor on and off every time you accidentally lightly touch the keyboard, or having to use two hands all the time.

There is always a risk with a multi-purpose user interface component like a touch-sensitive keyboard that it will inadvertently switch to it's other 'purpose' when you don't want it to. The touch-sensitive keyboard is a poor substitute for two separate single-purpose user interface components like a keyboard (that's just a keyboard) and a trackpad (that's just a trackpad). When you have a separate keyboard and trackpad, you don't accidentally turn your keyboard into a trackpad when you type, and you don't accidentally turn your trackpad into a keyboard if you 'touch it wrong'.

Also, the hard Call Start and Call End keys on the toolbelt are useful for hanging up a phone call without having to look at the screen which first requires waiting for the proximity sensor to realize the device isn't pressed to your head so it will activate the screen so you can actually even have a "call end" button to push.

Also, despite the popularity of Android in general, the most popular and critically acclaimed devices have PHYSICAL home buttons. It is baffling to me why device manufacturers who are lagging very VERY far behind Apple and Samsung (whose devices ALL have home buttons) don't manufacture a single flagship device WITH a home button on it. Google's Kool-Aid has these stupid soft buttons or capacitive buttons that you have to have lit up or be looking at to use, but a home button like on the best selling Samsung and Apple devices provide a tactile user interface component that other device manufacturers confusingly just don't understand that lots of people actually want. Personally I'd love an Android device where the home button wasn't a moving target (when the device is rotated for example). This isn't hard, but apparently most of these handset vendors don't have any UX experts on board. It may be why I prefer my Samsung Galaxy S4 to my LG Nexus 5 device, even though they're pretty similar in terms of power and screen quality etc.

Irritations like these may not bother "civilians" (i.e. non BlackBerry 'purists'), but they sure bother me.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-18-15 at 01:22 PM.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-18-15 01:10 PM
    I'll wait:
    BlackBerry has traditionally been rather light on carrier bloatware. From AT&T, for example, you'll see them list maybe 4 apps when you look up whatever BlackBerry they are offering on their site. But look at the included apps on anything from Samsung, HTC, or LG and those all have many more apps included.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 01:11 PM
    BlackBerry has traditionally been rather light on carrier bloatware. From AT&T, for example, you'll see them list maybe 4 apps when you look up whatever BlackBerry they are offering on their site. But look at the included apps on anything from Samsung, HTC, or LG and those all have many more apps included.
    ...but this is an Android device: the carriers have had YEARS to bloat it the heck up with all kinds of Android apps... they don't bother bloating up BB10 because they're not writing BB10 apps, but all bets are off when it comes to Android bloat on BlackBerry Android devices.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-18-15 01:14 PM
    Someone mentioned how is BB going to secure Android?
    check this out,
    at 1:00 min in he mentions a BugDroid holding up a shield
    09-18-15 01:15 PM
    Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 01:16 PM
    Well yeah as you can see, screen was on all the time so makes sense and isn't that bad though.
    Still i do not think it wil reach the passports batterylife

Posted via CB10
    Passport... battery life? You mean 7 hours on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 01:19 PM
    I'm so happy I could cry!! This is so super fraqqin' awesome. I feel a growing need to be the first one in line to get it. Haven't felt like that in a looong while. Way to go BBRY!!!
    09-18-15 01:20 PM
    I wonder if BlackBerry will manage to lock down extracting apks from the Venice. If not, I'll be installing whatever I can into my Nexus 4 for a more BlackBerry like experience on Android.

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    09-18-15 01:24 PM
386 ... 23456 ...