Can a bb10 like skin be developed?

Z10
    09-21-15 06:24 AM
    Can a bb10 like skin be developed?

Z10
    Sure. If the slider does really well, BlackBerry could put more time and effort to bring a better bb10 like experience to it with a BlackBerry skin. We'll just have to see how the slider is accepted.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-21-15 07:51 AM
    Sure. If the slider does really well, BlackBerry could put more time and effort to bring a better bb10 like experience to it with a BlackBerry skin. We'll just have to see how the slider is accepted.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    Why would they go back to bb10 if android does really well?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 07:59 AM
    Right, that's where it makes no business sense. But maintaining what already exists is logical in regards to BlackBerry 10 continuation.
    Exactly. BlackBerry 10 already has certifications that no other Os has in some governmental use. Think heads of state, foreign governments, DOD, NSA, etc. If they just abruptly drop BlackBerry 10 and the hardware it runs on, BlackBerry would be shooting themselves in the foot. BlackBerry would have to really harden the Android Os and jump through hoops to get it certified to replace BlackBerry 10 and it's hardware. I personally don't see that happening for quite some time, or they might not even try. Why replace something that is already certified and works. You might see hardware development for Os 10 slow quite a bit, but imo, BlackBerry 10 will still be around for quite awhile. Maybe it'll expand more down the road with all the IOT that BlackBerry is striving towards. To me, this just makes sense. Android Os and hardware for the consumer and business and BlackBerry 10 Os for government / business that need a more secure solution that other Os cannot provide. Just my two cents

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-21-15 08:07 AM
    This isn't sports. You don't pick a team and stick with it good or bad. It's capitalism, you go with what the market wants.
    (Just sayin') Capitalism is when a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit. That sometimes creates a monopoly, and then the market has to have what is being offered, and this is not always what it wants.
    09-21-15 08:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not to go back to bb10 but bring more of a bb10 experience to it by skinning Android more. But in reality, they'd probably just keep it the way it is. If it does well, why change it.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-21-15 08:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    bla1ze confirmed they will not "go back" to it but just provide updates ala BBOS. basically sustaining.. not maintaining. then death.

just re-read the comment you responded to and they actually meant bringing more of a "BB10 experience" to android. lol to that.
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-21-15 08:59 AM
    It's OK.. I'm gonna take a break and come back when people are 'over it' and realize the full reality of the situation.

Until then, fun times
    Mecca EL likes this.
    09-21-15 09:03 AM

Until then, fun times
    while the other half of CB is like:

Superfly_FR and Mecca EL like this.
    09-21-15 09:11 AM
    See all the goodness godess this Venice is doing to us, already ?
    extisis and Mecca EL like this.
    09-21-15 09:18 AM
    Maybe their keeping it close to the chest.

Posted via CB10
    Dude, seriously. They're, not their.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 09:27 AM
    Dude, seriously. They're, not their.

Posted via CB10
    If the rumors are correct, will know soon enough.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 09:56 AM
    I'm still getting the android version but I thought it'd be cool at least for the BlackBerry 10 die hards to keep hope alive.

Man, I remember when the legacy users were crying about why BlackBerry abandoned legacy OS for BB10 and now look...

Posted via CB10
    Yes, some did moan yet in the end way more diehards were excited that RIM/BlackBerry was finally releasing a modern OS. The biggest gripe was that that Z10 was released first and that the Classic came out way to late. If the Classic was released first, as it should have been, things could have turned out vastly different.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    It is safe to say this is the most likely scenario. Then again, they could just do this all through apps... ...for a fee.

Posted via CB10
    First, define "really well". What metric would be used; prior BB10 sales? The Venice could easily, and likely will, outsell all other BB10 phones combined and yet still only account for 1% of market share.

http://windowsphonetech.com/wp-conte...-Android-1.jpg

how? this has been done before

But it wont be done with this phone, why would they sell a BB10 version for it only to sell maybe 250k and then just sit there, DE-appreciating in value and collecting dust.
    They won't sell it. About exactly one day after the first Venice is sold reports are going to appear here on Crackberry of owners who removed Android and installed BB10. This way, BlackBerry will not violate any "rules" but doing so may violate warranties. So, those weirdos will get their Android BlackBerry+ GPS/GS; diehards can get a BB10 slider; and those users who want BB10 and GPS can get BB10 + GPS--everyone wins. Well, maybe not everyone as some may want Android -GPS and it is yet to be seen if we can remove GPS/GS from the OS.

WHY would any company go back to selling something that clearly doesn't even generate enough revenue for it to even be a self sustaining product if they had a profitable product to sell instead?

This isn't sports. You don't pick a team and stick with it good or bad. It's capitalism, you go with what the market wants.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    "BB10" failed for many reasons. The actual OS itself, if one of those reasons, is at the bottom of that list if it is even on it at all. Ironic how not that long ago it was all about how BB10 was the most advance/best mobile OS out there, yet, now with the Venice practically being official it is all about how much BB10 sucks. Indication: it is not BlackBerry; it's obstinate consumers.

As for your comment on Capitalism... ...for nearly the last 16 years Apple has been giving the consumer the products that Apple wants the consumer to have--not the other way around. Apple removed nearly all the best functionalities from Pages in order to make it more "at home" with iOS users instead of just building a stripped-down variant for iOS. Upset nearly all who use/used Pages. Is Apple going back on that? Nope. Final Cut X was too watered down in order to make it more "app like" and [iOS] user friendly. Seriously, iOS is ruining the Mac experience but that is a topic for another website. Many others on the Mac front but let's look at iOS; year after year Apple ignores the consumer's wish list for the iPhone: year after year. The only thing that Apple gave consumers was, finally, a larger screen.

Apple only commands something like 14% of the total handset market worldwide with Android at 83% or so. Yet, Apple earns more in profit and revenue than ALL of Android combined including Google. Too look further, Samsung dominates 57% percent of the Android market; not just in sales but in revenue/profit, too. It is interesting that Samsung is Android yet Samsung brings in more $$$ over Google in terms of "Android". That is exactly why they want to eventually ditch Google all together; it is not Android that competes with iOS, it is Samsung competing with iOS. A BlackBerry Android is going to surely get lost in all of that. At least BB10 is its own thing.

Capitalism by nature has to continuously grow; hence why it is called Capitalism. If not, it is simply free market. As such Capitalism does not give the consumers what the consumers want, far from it.

At least 80% of BlackBerry's [future] revenue is not going to come from handset sales; and 80% is a very conservative estimate. In reality, likely less then 5% of BBs total revenue is going to come from handset sales and this would be true if even BB10 sold like hotcakes.

Look beyond handsets/mobile OS and you will see that these are only the surface of what BlackBerry as company is into.
    Allanon89 and astrodan13 like this.
    09-21-15 10:14 AM
    Exactly. BlackBerry 10 already has certifications that no other Os has in some governmental use. Think heads of state, foreign governments, DOD, NSA, etc. If they just abruptly drop BlackBerry 10 and the hardware it runs on, BlackBerry would be shooting themselves in the foot. BlackBerry would have to really harden the Android Os and jump through hoops to get it certified to replace BlackBerry 10 and it's hardware. I personally don't see that happening for quite some time, or they might not even try. Why replace something that is already certified and works. You might see hardware development for Os 10 slow quite a bit, but imo, BlackBerry 10 will still be around for quite awhile. Maybe it'll expand more down the road with all the IOT that BlackBerry is striving towards. To me, this just makes sense. Android Os and hardware for the consumer and business and BlackBerry 10 Os for government / business that need a more secure solution that other Os cannot provide. Just my two cents

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    If there were money to be made... Think $2000 phones with no Android Runtime and very few apps.

I don't know about Canada and other governments, but very few US gov agencies are using BB10. Think only the White House and State Department are actually deploying many of them. But the US DoD has move away from reliance on any one vendor. BlackBerry's BES outage back in 2011 and then their fall from dominance, For SALE sign and continued finical issues have push many to find a more stable source of smartphones.
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-21-15 11:42 AM
    [...] very few US gov agencies are using BB10 [...]
    Honestly I wonder if ~10-20% of the reason for that is that relying on a non-US smartphone platform for institutions would not be patriotic enough.
    09-21-15 11:48 AM
    If there were money to be made... Think $2000 phones with no Android Runtime and very few apps.

I don't know about Canada and other governments, but very few US gov agencies are using BB10. Think only the White House and State Department are actually deploying many of them. But the US DoD has move away from reliance on any one vendor. BlackBerry's BES outage back in 2011 and then their fall from dominance, For SALE sign and continued finical issues have push many to find a more stable source of smartphones.
    As someone who is familiar; the U.S. Fed. Gov. always, always, always, goes with the lowest bidder. Period. Always. BlackBerry is most likely to play ball just to have the bragging rights to prove they are most secure.
    09-21-15 11:49 AM
    I'm still getting the android version but I thought it'd be cool at least for the BlackBerry 10 die hards to keep hope alive.

Man, I remember when the legacy users were crying about why BlackBerry abandoned legacy OS for BB10 and now look...

Posted via CB10
    I hope that in 2 years, when BB switch to Windows Phone, all the AndroidBerry users will be crying being abandoned...
    09-21-15 12:19 PM
    Closing the hardware makes more sense financially then releasing a commercially available android device. Whether it gets release or not is really not the point anymore. It just doesn't make money sense....How many Android manufacturers make a profit? And the ones that do, usually control the hardware supply chain already.

Only way this makes sense is if its wrapped in a deal that gives BlackBerry some leverage somewhere else. Another way is if this is a spec'ed device for a specific customer. I suspect EVERYONE is going to be unhappy on how this device will be presented.
    09-21-15 12:54 PM
    I hope that in 2 years, when BB switch to Windows Phone, all the AndroidBerry users will be crying being abandoned...
    lol..only when the windows phone really exists by then
    09-21-15 12:58 PM
    Honestly I wonder if ~10-20% of the reason for that is that relying on a non-US smartphone platform for institutions would not be patriotic enough.
    That has little or nothing to do with it. When BlackBerry was at the top of their game, Blackberries were everywhere in government institutions.
    It's almost certainly a simple matter of not wanting to commit to a company that is in the throws of saving itself.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    09-21-15 01:08 PM
    Closing the hardware makes more sense financially then releasing a commercially available android device.
    I believe it has less to do with Chen wanting to make a killing in the Android space, and more to do with Chen wanting to be able to offer an end to end solution to their customers. That's why he would like to have -some- semblance of a hardware offering.
    will308 likes this.
    09-21-15 01:12 PM
    I believe it has less to do with Chen wanting to make a killing in the Android space, and more to do with Chen wanting to be able to offer an end to end solution to their customers. That's why he would like to have -some- semblance of a hardware offering.
    Problem with that is hardware has to make money. Android for BB (assuming stand alone/no joint ventures) is just as much a loser as BB10.

Endorsed by Google as the go to secure device for Android would make sense, but just as another vendor....might as well be BlackPhone.

I see your point and it does make sense, but if this is the reasoning and they don't have another pocket deal in conjunction with it, I feel Chen is off his rocker.
    09-21-15 02:28 PM
    Well, undone, we do not know yet all the parts and angles of the plan. It is certainly a difficult position to be in, but of course we already knew that. We will just have to see.
    undone and Mecca EL like this.
    09-21-15 02:33 PM
    One might also think that the evidence of a Blackberry version is given by the sample of the first presentation.

I continue to refuse the stories that say it was an android device with a picture of the skin of BB10 . I am convinced that Venice is born BB10 and later transformed in Android by the need to sell a greater number of devices .

Moreover, my opinions is that if the entire company is committed to a project like this, it's unlikely to find more resources for other projects like BlackBerry 10 developing. This does not mean that there will be a version of BB10 for Venice but at least that the Slider is probably compatible with BB10...
    Last edited by JulesDB; 09-21-15 at 02:58 PM.
    09-21-15 02:47 PM
    Lmao good one

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 03:49 PM
139 ... 23456