Freaking impossible. That's the hardest part of device development. The part it is easiest to mess up on and also the part you have to pay component vendors insane amounts of money to get drivers for as well.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    I'm just thinking of my HP Touchpad and how the XDA guys were able to get Android running on it instead of WebOS. I'm willing to bet our community has some equally talented programmers. Not that it would be easy, but I can't believe it would be impossible.
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-21-15 05:23 PM
    This post is EXACTLY how I feel about it. I don't care what the name of the OS is.. I want the precision, customization of the notification / profiles - the email (hub) handling etc.

Android looks and feels like it was made for 4th graders.

God I hope blackberry customizes the hell out the OS to put some professionalism in it like BB10 has now.

Posted via CB10
    Anilu7 and vanrickman like this.
    09-21-15 05:26 PM
    This post is EXACTLY how I feel about it. I don't care what the name of the OS is.. I want the precision, customization of the notification / profiles - the email (hub) handling etc.

God I hope blackberry customizes the hell out the OS to put some professionalism in it like BB10 has now.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand the need to honestly. Criticizing Android for the way it looks and feels is like someone doing the same for linux, and the response to that is "well you can make it look and feel however you want and that is and was the reasoning for it ever even existing in the first place" so I don't really see that as a talking point for discussion to compare an OS. You can have 20 Android devices that are identical hardware and phone models that all have different launchers, themes, profiles, icons, UI behavior. Android's biggest strength is customization so trying to pin it to one thing is sort of silly.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    09-21-15 06:14 PM
    I have only used pure android on a couple of nexus models... it "colorful" and reminds me of something childish. Just an opinion I guess. But I know that pure android can not compare in notification and profile settings to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-21-15 06:22 PM
    And since you are correct in its customization options that is why I hope BlackBerry makes it do some of the things that nexus lollipop devices can't.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 06:24 PM
    Yes, I think we can all agree that Mike L's initial roadmap of continuing to develop BBOS through version 9 while building BB10 was the way to go. Moving to an entirely new platform is very tempting, but it's also something that only one or two tech companies have survived doing.

Posted via CB10
    Or if they had closed the Palm deal and not lost it to HP at the 11th hour they would have had WebOS ready to go quick. That would have been great. I remember the TouchPad getting Netflix even though everyone knew it was dead platform at release.

Posted via Z30
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-21-15 08:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    You know what's funny? When people post a "show me your home screen thread" and it's literally just different wallpapers.

Go look at a thread about home screens on Android and you will see so much much variety. Some people will customize their android for looks, others for productivity, and others just don't care and there's clutter all over their home screen.

Say what you will about Android but the customization is all there. All from themes, to different icons to even being able to change the font of your system. Some people get pretty creative when it comes to customization.

Not to mention the live wallpapers. Do I think live wallpapers are pointless and all they do is drain the battery? Hell yeah, but hey the option is there for those who want it.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    astrodan13 and Mecca EL like this.
    09-21-15 08:59 PM
    09-21-15 09:39 PM
    God I hope blackberry customizes the hell out the OS to put some professionalism in it like BB10 has now
    you have hit the nail on the head ..........I feel the same way bb10 looks like its for adults and android is for kids I have said this a few times before
    eggbertx3 and Lawmen23 like this.
    09-22-15 12:46 AM
    you have hit the nail on the head ..........I feel the same way bb10 looks like its for adults and android is for kids I have said this a few times before
    Ios is even worse than android in this regard.
    BB10 tried to move more this way with 10.3 as well.

I still miss the ui of 10.1-2

Mecca EL and Lawmen23 like this.
    09-22-15 01:07 AM
    No - was pointing out how the same is happening again, people resisting the move to android because they swear by BlackBerry 10 as being the best.

Posted via CB10
    Well, there were things we lost when the move was made to BB10:

1) encryption for everyone by default, not just behind BES

2) data compression which help reduce data consumption and cost.

If we move from BB10 to android, we lose a lot more:

1) security (if merely for being an invisibly low number of users to hackers)

2) privacy (at least to those of us who do not download android apps or even BlackBerry apps of questionable origin (see recent Apple hack case), and clean up our browsers after searches.

3) battery life (android apps drain your battery more than BB10)

4) efficiency and flow of OS.

All of these are very important to some of us BB10 users.

Chen keeps saying that BB10 is more secure than Android.
    He says that for a reason. He is likely right on that.

If BlackBerry sells android to enterprise, its only security customers left are just government organizations like the NSA, DOD, CSIS and G7 governments.

That's not a sustainable market for BB10.
    09-22-15 02:58 AM
    Well, there were things we lost when the move was made to BB10:

1) encryption for everyone by default, not just behind BES

2) data compression which help reduce data consumption and cost.

If we move from BB10 to android, we lose a lot more:

1) security (if merely for being an invisibly low number of users to hackers)

2) privacy (at least to those of us who do not download android apps or even BlackBerry apps of questionable origin (see recent Apple hack case), and clean up our browsers after searches.

3) battery life (android apps drain your battery more than BB10)

4) efficiency and flow of OS.

All of these are very important to some of us BB10 users.

Chen keeps saying that BB10 is more secure than Android.
    He says that for a reason. He is likely right on that.

If BlackBerry sells android to enterprise, its only security customers left are just government organizations like the NSA, DOD, CSIS and G7 governments.

That's not a sustainable market for BB10.
    He says that it's more secure because that is the sentiment out there. It's a weird phenomenon. It's treated like an infalible truth in the culture that Blackberrys are secure. So much so that no one needs to examine it to see what that really means. If you use bes they are in theory more secure but you don't gain anything in terms of privacy without some crazy policy restrictions. They are in a tough place where they have to admit that bb10 was inherently no more secure at a consumer level than android or ios in order to keep their existing bb10 users calm and to get them to migrate platforms eventually (which sounds like they would basically! Have to say, 'yeah, we fudged the truth a little bit to get you to buy these devices) at the same time as they need to maintain this reputation for security since that really is the only thing BlackBerry has to offer Google and android users in general. In a weird way, BlackBerry almost has to claim that their version of Android is more secure than BlackBerry 10 in order to really pull this off.

Mecca EL likes this.
    09-22-15 03:46 AM
    You know what's funny? When people post a "show me your home screen thread" and it's literally just different wallpapers.

Go look at a thread about home screens on Android and you will see so much much variety. Some people will customize their android for looks, others for productivity, and others just don't care and there's clutter all over their home screen.

Say what you will about Android but the customization is all there. All from themes, to different icons to even being able to change the font of your system. Some people get pretty creative when it comes to customization.

Not to mention the live wallpapers. Do I think live wallpapers are pointless and all they do is drain the battery? Hell yeah, but hey the option is there for those who want it.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    I miss different Themes from bbos. That's another plus for the slider I'm looking forward to, Themes and changing my fonts. Now I have to find a decent Fallout theme for Android, had one on my Storm 2.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    Mecca EL likes this.
    09-22-15 01:08 PM
    I even struggle to like simple things like the messaging apps and Gmail in Android itself. It completely feels like it is dumbed down for comprehension reasons to lower IQ individuals. I love my BlackBerry and want to like the slider (even with android in replace of BB10) but if it is to much like pure android I just don't think I will...

PLEASE BlackBerry, GIVE ME A BB10 VERSION?

Posted via CB10
    astrodan13, extisis and Allanon89 like this.
    09-22-15 02:33 PM
    I'm going to get the slider and see if it goes with what I need it for. If I had a choice, I'd probably go with a bb10 version as my Z30 does what I need it to even if they removed the Android runtime. I have an Android tablet for anything I really need and I really only have two apps I downloaded on it, Netflix and call of duty Zombies (gotta play sometimes ) . So for me, I'm happy with bb10, but I'm also intrigued by the slider running Android for its touch sensitive pkb, the customizations that Android provides and it's different. So I do hope down the road BlackBerry still puts an effort into bb10 and updated devices for bb10. Guess we'll just have to see what the future holds for us and BlackBerry.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-22-15 02:57 PM
    I haven't gone on the read every post in this thread, but my guess would be this, if anything. I think the slider would be shipped with android only. With that being said, I am hopeful for those who want to stay with BB10, or those ordering for gov't and other enterprises that absolutely need top notch security, that BB will offer a way to unload the android OS and load BB10 to replace it on the slider device.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-23-15 06:23 AM
    it's certainly no sign of a BB10 version.

I see a BlackBerry 10 version in his hand
    Venice BB10 Variant-blackberry-slider-roger-pic.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 07:22 AM
    What you see is a mockup device.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-23-15 07:28 AM
    I see a BlackBerry 10 version in his hand
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberry-slider-roger-pic.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	372641
    I hope that is true, I really do, but it might as well be a screenshot hardcoded in. I doubt they would have shown it with Android at that point...
    09-23-15 07:28 AM
    Priv

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 03:08 AM
    There is also zero sight of anything after the Venice. I guess this is the last hail Mary for the hardware business. Since they are going Android I am glad it is a high end device, as I believe this is the only chance to make money and a good name for themselves. I for one am very emotionally tied to BlackBerry 10. I am really hoping they got the hub working and without killing their strategy of mostly stock Android, can give a loyal customer like myself a taste of BlackBerry 10 on their android devices.
    Good luck BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    ayngling, Anilu7 and evodevo69 like this.
    09-24-15 06:38 AM
    There is also zero sight of anything after the Venice. I guess this is the last hail Mary for the hardware business. Since they are going Android I am glad it is a high end device, as I believe this is the only chance to make money and a good name for themselves. I for one am very emotionally tied to BlackBerry 10. I am really hoping they got the hub working and without killing their strategy of mostly stock Android, can give a loyal customer like myself a taste of BlackBerry 10 on their android devices.
    Good luck BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    Get used to calling it the the perv uh.. I mean priv lol

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 10:43 AM
    Or privy, British slang for toilet. I hope not!

Get used to calling it the the perv uh.. I mean priv lol

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 11:08 AM
    Pic was given as illustration by a beta tester who said he'd handled a Venice and verified the hardware as accurate. He did say that software was very much up in the air and that his had Android on it. Take that for what you will.

No. You saw a stupid PDA Database posting that's not even entirely accurate and is certainly in no way tightly under wraps considering it's viewable by all on the internet.
    09-24-15 11:11 AM
    Or privy, British slang for toilet. I hope not!
    is that was johnny depp kept saying in the pirates movies? i thought he meant like "catching what i'm saying". i could be wrong, i'm Hispanic not British.
    09-24-15 10:56 PM
139 ... 3456