No - was pointing out how the same is happening again, people resisting the move to android because they swear by BlackBerry 10 as being the best.

Posted via CB10
    No, on my Samsung Tab S I swear the the "buttons" - home, back 'recent apps' - really how archaic. I guess it is hidden multitasking but I don't like it. I prefer the bb10 active frames and the swiping gestures. I prefer the built-in Native Hub, not some 3rd party consolidation email program. So, yes, sometimes there are reasons to resist change. I seriously prefer the better control I have over Permissions for bb10 apps. All or nothing - really - since when does a painting program, a chess game or tons of other apps really need access to my location or my contacts or my email?
    acovey, will308, Allanon89 and 2 others like this.
    09-20-15 08:18 PM
    Lets just say that a prototype version of BB10 exists for the slider, but that's about it. I'm sure BB wanted to test out the slider using BB10, but i don't think they can release a BB10 version because it would violate the HSA agreement with Android. does anyone know if this is a fact or not. But if they changed the design to an all touch version then maybe they can release a BB10 version
    09-20-15 08:31 PM
    Might be interesting if a BB10 autoloader showed up for it.
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-20-15 08:57 PM
    How hard would it really be to take the existing OS files we have and get it to work with new hardware? Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult.
    09-20-15 10:02 PM
    Lets just say that a prototype version of BB10 exists for the slider, but that's about it. I'm sure BB wanted to test out the slider using BB10, but i don't think they can release a BB10 version because it would violate the HSA agreement with Android. does anyone know if this is a fact or not. But if they changed the design to an all touch version then maybe they can release a BB10 version

how? this has been done before

But it wont be done with this phone, why would they sell a BB10 version for it only to sell maybe 250k and then just sit there, DE-appreciating in value and collecting dust.
    09-20-15 10:06 PM
    How hard would it really be to take the existing OS files we have and get it to work with new hardware? Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult.
    Freaking impossible. That's the hardest part of device development. The part it is easiest to mess up on and also the part you have to pay component vendors insane amounts of money to get drivers for as well.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-20-15 10:18 PM
    As someone who has been hoping for a BB10 slider since I purchased my z10 when it first became available for sale in Canada I have to say I'll be very disappointed if Blackberry doesn't release a BB10 version of Venice however its not because of a loyalty to the Blackberry 10 OS that a lot of people on here seem to have. It's because I think Blackberry is repeating the same mistake it made when it launched Blackberry 10 by launching a 'half-baked' version of Androidberry.

I think I represent your average Blackberry user when I say that I honestly don't care what the underlying OS is on a Blackberry phone.... if Venice represents the death of QNX powered Blackberry 10 and a switch to Androidberry, I can live with that. However, what I do care about is the user experience of Blackberry 10 that I've come to love and that is something I can't live without.

Here's what Blackberry 10 means to me:
    - A unified hub where I can easily find/sort all of my messages
    - Gesture based UI
    - The peak to hub gesture from any app
    - Amazing virtual keyboard
    - Blackberry Blend
    - That customizable blinking LED notification light that will always scream Blackberry phone

And here's what I've always felt that Blackberry 10 has been missing:
    - Apps

So the launch of Venice running Androidberry finally solves the one issue that it had become evident Blackberry 10 was always going to suffer from... Apps and developer support. I know people here like to downplay the importance of apps but it's simply the way the world is moving and after the failure that was the Amazaon App store on Blackberry 10 I think it became evident to John Chen and Blackberry that a move to Android was the only way to go.

However John Chen and Blackberry have also been touting how they will bring the Blackberry experience to Android with the Blackberry Productivity Suite etc.... I took this to mean that when we finally saw the final product, Blackberry would have found ways to re-create the things users love about Blackberry 10 on an Android device. When the rumours first surfaced that Venice was going to be an Android-only device, I was still excited about getting it because I assumed that Blackberry would deliver on the Productivity Suite but it seems like I once again had too much faith in the company.

From what I can gather going off of information based on the leaks the Venice will not offer a true unified hub experience, will not offer a gesture base UI, will not offer a peak to hub feature, may or may not use the Blackberry virtual keyboard, will not offer a Blackberry Blend functionality but will thankfully still have that blinking LED notification light. So aside from the slider form factor, no features that make a modern Blackberry a Blackberry. This is a poor showing from a company and a CEO that loves to talk about how it is becoming a software company because when it comes to Venice, the hardware division seems to have delivered with an incredible slider form factor and specs. Venice has been let down by a software division that couldn't deliver anything more than a slight tweak to the stock Android experience.

So where does that leave me? Well I'm left hoping for a BB10 version of Venice that it sounds like will never exist. Not because I have anything against using an Android powered Blackberry phone but because I had faith Blackberry could customize the Android OS to the point that they could deliver a BB10 style experience combined with access to all of the Android apps in one amazing package. But just like when Blackberry 10 first launched, it sounds like they will be bringing a product to market that doesn't have all the features their loyalists have come to love and doesn't offer anything unique enough to peak the curiosity of those who might want to give the Blackberry brand a second chance. With a BB10 version of Venice seemingly DOA, the only thing I'm left hoping for is that this time it doesn't take Blackberry almost 3 years to bring the experience/features users want to their new Androidberry phones.
    You haven't been paying attention enough to the leaks - the HUB will be the same unified inbox you've come to know and love. There is Blend.

They will implement new features to make messaging and productivity the highlight of their android device and that other phones won't have.

Sure it won't be BlackBerry 10 and there won't be peek and flow, but on android you don't need to peek - there's a notification shade and also the bar, which gives the same info (and more actually, like the weather).

I have no doubt that Android by BlackBerry will be the most productive skin ever, and will be superior in everyway for the business minded individual.

It'll have the Google ecosystem - check.

It'll have BlackBerry's superior take on communication and productivity.

To me - this will be superior to anything out there.

If there's one thing that android is weak in, and this goes for all of the phones in the market, is how it handles communication and productivity.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 10:54 PM
    I'm still getting the android version but I thought it'd be cool at least for the BlackBerry 10 die hards to keep hope alive.

Man, I remember when the legacy users were crying about why BlackBerry abandoned legacy OS for BB10 and now look...

Posted via CB10
    BBOS'ers did cry. BelfastDispatcher or whoever was a big one. At least they cried because BBRY was continuing on evolving with their own entity. Now it's a different story. Don't see any BB10ers crying, just disappointed in the complete adoption of another OS. We will just have to move on if they completely abandon BB10.

Blaze says let is sell so that we can keep our BB10- you really think they'll go back to BB10 if the andro-slider is a hit?

BB10 variant of the slider makes sense but it's not happening unfortunately.
    09-20-15 11:02 PM
    BBOS'ers did cry. BelfastDispatcher or whoever was a big one. At least they cried because BBRY was continuing on evolving with their own entity. Now it's a different story. Don't see any BB10ers crying, just disappointed in the complete adoption of another OS. We will just have to move on if they completely abandon BB10.

Blaze says let is sell so that we can keep our BB10- you really think they'll go back to BB10 if the andro-slider is a hit?

BB10 variant of the slider makes sense but it's not happening unfortunately.
    WHY would any company go back to selling something that clearly doesn't even generate enough revenue for it to even be a self sustaining product if they had a profitable product to sell instead?

This isn't sports. You don't pick a team and stick with it good or bad. It's capitalism, you go with what the market wants.

Mecca EL likes this.
    09-20-15 11:09 PM
    you really think they'll go back to BB10 if the andro-slider is a hit?
    I never said they would 'go back' to it, I said they would keep it going as in keeping it alive with main. and security updates rather than just letting it choke off and die like they did with the PlayBook OS.
    Arjun Sahota and astrodan13 like this.
    09-20-15 11:24 PM
    I never said they would 'go back' to it, I said they would keep it going as in keeping it alive with main. and security updates rather than just letting choke off and die like they did with the PlayBook OS.
    The 1000 question then becomes will they continue pushing hardware for it.

I'm sure you 'don't know' though .

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    09-20-15 11:28 PM
    The 1000 question then becomes will they continue pushing hardware for it.

I'm sure you 'don't know' though .

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    I'm going with no.

Either we get android devices or nothing.

09-20-15 11:36 PM
    I'm going with no.

Right, that's where it makes no business sense. But maintaining what already exists is logical in regards to BlackBerry 10 continuation.
    astrodan13 and Plazmic Flame like this.
    09-20-15 11:40 PM
    I never said they would 'go back' to it, I said they would keep it going as in keeping it alive with main. and security updates rather than just letting it choke off and die like they did with the PlayBook OS.
    ah so a slower painful death then. didn't really grasp what you meant by keeping it going.. so the end is near.
    09-20-15 11:40 PM
    Right, that's where it makes no business sense. But maintaining what already exists is logical in regards to BlackBerry 10 continuation.
    Agree 100%

Plazmic Flame likes this.
    09-20-15 11:43 PM
    WHY would any company go back to selling something that clearly doesn't even generate enough revenue for it to even be a self sustaining product if they had a profitable product to sell instead?

This isn't sports. You don't pick a team and stick with it good or bad. It's capitalism, you go with what the market wants.

thanks for reiterating my point. and yes this isn't sports, this isn't cars, this isn't all the analogies people want to use. it's handsets. lol
    09-20-15 11:47 PM
    I'm going with no.

Then after many years it will be nothing for me, maybe a nice flip phone.
    09-21-15 12:31 AM
    No - was pointing out how the same is happening again, people resisting the move to android because they swear by BlackBerry 10 as being the best.

Posted via CB10
    I do think that bb10 IS better than droid and ios and so do other ppl
    FF22 likes this.
    09-21-15 12:42 AM
    Just saw on ann's BBM channel, a document indicating there exists a BlackBerry 10 variant of the Slider.

It's saying it's pretty tight under wraps but it looks pretty legit.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong forum.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 01:29 AM
    Bla1ze aka the Cumaean Sibyl.

Heck, would anyone be kindly willing to explain it all?
    Bla1ze says we'd better hope for the Slider to be successful if we want to have something on the BB10 side as well.
    But hey, now we know he didn't mean new devices, just some maintenance to BB10.3. So if the slider is a triumph we will see some software updates to the current BB10 devices.
    The two statements don't compute.
    And if it's not? No more updates? Fewer updates? This means that in case of failure BB will stop supporting current users and enterprise customers altogether by ceasing updates to BB10? lol

To put it cinically, it looks like BB10 fans are screwed either way, so why bother about the Slider?
    It just hurts me that BB10 will die a slow death like Symbian instead of the interface being sold to a third party.
    Arjun Sahota likes this.
    09-21-15 03:43 AM
    I do think that bb10 IS better than droid and ios and so do other ppl
    Truthfully, as a mobile OS, Windows Phone is better than Android, but to most people, Mobile OS = Apps, so it's understandable how people form an opinion. Same thing happened the first few years of Android; it was superior in most areas to iOS but we (I bought the T-Mobile G1 on launch day and was an Android user up until late last year) weren't getting any apps and the ones that we were getting were sub par ports.
    09-21-15 03:46 AM
    Truthfully, as a mobile OS, Windows Phone is better than Android, but to most people, Mobile OS = Apps, so it's understandable how people form an opinion. Same thing happened the first few years of Android; it was superior in most areas to iOS but we (I bought the T-Mobile G1 on launch day and was an Android user up until late last year) weren't getting any apps and the ones that we were getting were sub par ports.
    yes I agree ppl would rather go for loads of apps(most of which they don't need or use)instead of a good os sad really
    09-21-15 05:14 AM
    yes I agree ppl would rather go for loads of apps(most of which they don't need or use)instead of a good os sad really
    It's not like we haven't seen that before with Linux and Windows. Let us say someone build the best OS ever and it only comes out of the box with the ability to make calls, send texts and browse the internet. That's not a very good smartphone. Who needs an email client, just use the browser?

Hell, you even see people here on CB who go through 10 hoops (downloading, patching, sideloading, finding another good version of an APK etc) just to have access to apps they need. Even if they don't admit it directly, their actions prove that a healthy ecosystem is important to them, not just the OS.
    09-21-15 05:21 AM
    It's not like we haven't seen that before with Linux and Windows. Let us say someone build the best OS ever and it only comes out of the box with the ability to make calls, send texts and browse the internet. That's not a very good smartphone. Who needs an email client, just use the browser?

Hell, you even see people here on CB who go through 10 hoops (downloading, patching, sideloading, finding another good version of an APK etc) just to have access to apps they need. Even if they don't admit it directly, their actions prove that a healthy ecosystem is important to them, not just the OS.
    yea I see where you are coming from and yes I'm all for a good ecosystem just a shame that bb10 has come to this I do love my blackberrys and I did love having a os that wasn't droid or ios or even windows but hey what can we do but go with the flow .....think I will always moan about bb going to android
    09-21-15 05:35 AM
    yea I see where you are coming from and yes I'm all for a good ecosystem just a shame that bb10 has come to this I do love my blackberrys and I did love having a os that wasn't droid or ios or even windows but hey what can we do but go with the flow .....think I will always moan about bb going to android
    I think they could and should have predicted the mobile os market evolution. If you look closely, it follows the same trend of the desktop market, only with Android in place of Windows. There are only 3 major platforms for desktop (Windows, MacOSX and various linux distributions which are free). It was clear even in 2013 with BB10 launched that the evolution was gonna be the same. I think BB (really really) hoped to become the 3rd ecosystem, but it didn't have the deep pockets or the cash cows (Windows desktop and Xbox revenue) of Microsoft.

As blasphemous as it sound here on CB, I trully think that BB going Android in 2010 or 2011 would have been much healthier for the company financially speaking.
    southlander and Mecca EL like this.
    09-21-15 05:43 AM
139 12345 ...