Watching these marketing efforts or lack thereof is really interesting. I don't understand how they use the term "privileged" for the phone. The term means wealthy in a negative way. "She came from a privileged background."

Or... it means in a legal sense that something cannot be disclosed.

Either context makes no sense. Could Chen be making these decisions? Is his English borderline enough to make this mistake in judgment? Did the seeds of this misuse of the term come from when Chen showed off the phone and stammered that the name comes from "privacy or privilege"?

Why not just say that it comes from the term privacy?

Maybe it will not matter as much as the pricing strategy. I'm still hoping that it is successful just because it increases the chance of BB 10 surviving, etc.
    10-31-15 05:35 AM
    It's privilege, not privileged.. admittedly a subtle difference in language but a significant difference in meaning..

It is a privilege to own one, and not you must be privileged to own one.

I'm not saying that makes for a great name.. but the negative connotation if of your own construct.

Posted via CB10
    Adam Frix likes this.
    10-31-15 06:13 AM
    Watching these marketing efforts or lack thereof is really interesting. I don't understand how they use the term "privileged" for the phone. The term means wealthy in a negative way. "She came from a privileged background."

Or... it means in a legal sense that something cannot be disclosed.
    I think the latter, as in the confidentiality that is protected by attorney-client or physician-patient privilege, is probably closer to the mark. Device-user privilege, if you like. (I realize the analogy is deeply imperfect, but you get the idea.) The notion that access to your personal information is a privilege that is yours to decide to share or not to share.

Still, I agree that this is all rather contrived, and that it essentially seems like they thought they needed to find another word to justify the "Priv" branding.
    10-31-15 06:28 AM
    Privacy is your privilege, your right.

Privilege doesn't exclusively mean what you think it does.
    10-31-15 07:15 AM

Privacy is a privilege? I guess it is done. They can still benefit from the name standing out perhaps but I doubt it.
    10-31-15 07:58 AM

Privilege and right are not as readily synonymous as you suggest.
    10-31-15 08:03 AM
    Privilege and right are not as readily synonymous as you suggest.
    Indeed,..

Privilege implies something that you enjoy over (or in addition to) what 'the rest' enjoy.

A right, on the other hand, implies something that everyone is entitled to and therefore so should you.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 08:15 AM