Just noticed all the updates waiting for us today (8-3-16), and was wondering if I should update the apps first or the OS??

Posted via CB10 for my sexy Priv
    08-03-16 11:13 AM
    I don't think it really matters.
    08-03-16 11:29 AM
    OS was still not there for me so I updates apps for now. But I do a restart after intensive app installing like today.
    08-03-16 11:44 AM
    Technically speaking, you're better off with OS updates first when it comes to Android. The reason for this is that OS updates can sometimes include system app updates, though fairly rarely, so it might be that you'll update an app, then apply the OS update, and then have to update the app again because it updated post-commit for the OS bundle.

But, as stated by the first reply up there, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter.
    andy957 likes this.
    08-03-16 03:12 PM
    Technically speaking, you're better off with OS updates first when it comes to Android. The reason for this is that OS updates can sometimes include system app updates, though fairly rarely, so it might be that you'll update an app, then apply the OS update, and then have to update the app again because it updated post-commit for the OS bundle.

But, as stated by the first reply up there, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter.
    Oh ok, thanks for the info. Seems as though just updating the OS first might just save a little time by not having to do an app update twice. I will remember this for the future, I went ahead and did the OS update first.

Posted via CB10 for my sexy Priv
    08-03-16 04:04 PM
    Doing a system update forces the Dalvik (ART) cache to rebuild (all apps get precompiled). This tends to get rid of a lot of detritus from app updates.

Personally I like to do app updates before doing a system update for this reason.

Anyone with more knowledge about this please feel free to correct me!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    artemis-kun likes this.
    08-03-16 04:37 PM
    For security/minor updates it doesn't matter but for big version updates update the OS first that way you get correct app version for the OS. If you update the apps first you'll get a prompt to update the apps afterward for any that need the new OS version anyways so you're just wasting data. Example latest 08/03 HUB version is only available for MM, Lollipop will follow later.
    artemis-kun likes this.
    08-03-16 05:36 PM