I tried setting up the e-mail that my university gave me on the BlackBerry Hub. All was well until the end when I was asked to 'activate device administrator'
    Basically, let office outlook something get control of the security features my Priv.
    I don't know if this helps, but the e-mail doesn't end with @hotmail.com, instead it's @universityname.edu
    Here's the list of security features I was asked to let it control. Its crazy.
    Is there any other way I can't setup this e-mail ??
    Attached Thumbnails University account on HUB-11349.jpg  
    12-08-16 08:32 PM
    I don't think there's a way around that, but you could try contacting your university's help desk.

As far as I know that particular security setup is common for Exchange-based email systems for large organizations, be they academic or business.
    12-08-16 09:07 PM
    I set up my .edu account directly in the hub and it works well. Even though the IT dep said to install outlook.
    12-08-16 09:44 PM
    Yeah, that's just standard procedure, I have the same thing from my college.
    12-08-16 10:02 PM
    This is common. I have work exchange accounts on my Priv as well. I had similar warnings.
    12-08-16 10:10 PM
    Those policies are all sent down by your company's/schools Exchange server, and are set by the IT Administrator.
    12-09-16 09:56 AM
    Yeah, that's just standard procedure, I have the same thing from my college.
    My academic email account did not require such control of my BlackBerry Priv. I am have an academic account with two separate institutionsm Maybe the difference is my schools use Microsoft Office 365 not in-house Microsoft Exchange.
    12-10-16 03:53 PM
    Most exchange servers will require that to be set. The option to require it can be disabled in the server profile on some implementations.

Whether the email administrator will USE it is another matter, but server policy settings are available on an exchange-linked account. If you wish to not have that happen then use IMAP (most university systems support that as well as most commercial email providers.)

And yes, the email administrator CAN send a "wipe device" command via Exchange, and yes, it will do exactly what you think it will do.

HOWEVER, secure email (S/MIME) is not available except on Exchange, so.....
    12-10-16 04:13 PM
    Had to accept that same policy of universities exchange account on my PRIV too. On top you always get reminded on every reboot, that the device is monitored by someone else, so don't panic if you see that.

I wish our admin would have set only to delete all exchange data on device in case of loosing the device and not being able to wipe the whole device. Like this I just always hope an rogue MS exchange update or false step of the admins doesn't execute an accidental wipe on all devices.
    12-11-16 07:32 PM