Live

Black Friday deal team is live right now!

Check out the hottest Black Friday Deals!

Expand Minimize
    Okay, I've got a Keyboard shortcut problem. BB Launcher "stops" when I attempt to assign a key. As soon as I chose a letter to assign something to, it crashes. This occurred before and now after updates to keyboard, hub+ and launcher.

It also is occurring on both a ShopBB Priv with the latest Security updates and on a Verizon Priv with only the March updates.

I have done the 32 second reboot. I updates all relevant BB apps. Not sure if something else might be conflicting the BB Launcher.

Ideas, anyone?

edited to add:

I UNinstalled it (back to basic one?? That did not help. Still erroring out.
    Last edited by FF22; 05-16-17 at 04:33 PM.
    05-16-17 04:19 PM
    Clear the app cache. If that doesn't work, uninstall the most recent update and reinstall it.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-16-17 04:30 PM
    Clear the app cache. If that doesn't work, uninstall the most recent update and reinstall it.
    That did not work. 32 Second reboot now in progress.

Nope, still crashing.

I have to admit that I don't use it all that often but there was mention of "administrative lock" if the K shortcut was used and I was trying to test that out. But won't work.
    05-16-17 04:48 PM
    Sounds like 'Administrative lock' worked, now you have to find an administrator to unlock it.
    05-17-17 10:12 AM
    Congrats, @FF22, you've found an error that I have no idea how to fix. And I was just starting to feel confident of how good I am with these things.

Perhaps it's linked to the BlackBerry Hub+ Services. I'd clear cache for both Launcher and Services, and if that doesn't help, clear data for both of those. I have no idea, though, about what Services' data is exactly, so "proceed with caution".
    For starters, you might want to clear all app cache. That certainly won't hurt.
    Btw, does that happen on both your Privs or just one of them?
    And btw2, does the Launcher first do what the shortcut should do and then crash or does it just crash and do nothing else?
    05-17-17 10:29 AM
    Congrats, @FF22, you've found an error that I have no idea how to fix. And I was just starting to feel confident of how good I am with these things.

Perhaps it's linked to the BlackBerry Hub+ Services. I'd clear cache for both Launcher and Services, and if that doesn't help, clear data for both of those. I have no idea, though, about what Services' data is exactly, so "proceed with caution".
    For starters, you might want to clear all app cache. That certainly won't hurt.
    Btw, does that happen on both your Privs or just one of them?
    And btw2, does the Launcher first do what the shortcut should do and then crash or does it just crash and do nothing else?
    First I will ask - you can assign Keyboard shortcuts without issues?

Second, it happens on both Priv's.

Third, I can invoke any that are already assigned. What I canNOT do is assign any new ones.

But let's take it step by step. I press the six-dot app drawer icon. I then press the Gear/Setting icon (upper right). I then press the Keyboard Shortcuts option. Then if I tap, for instance, "C" on that page (not actual keyboard). I get:

"Unfortunately, BB Launcher has stopped" when trying to assign keyboard shortcuts-screenshot_20170517-091927.jpg

I can then OK out of that. Again, both Priv's with slightly different Security Updates. I have cleared the cache or Launcher. I have UNinstalled and REinstalled it. I believe I even cleared its data. I am reluctant to clear the wrong data (say hub+) since I recall early on, losing all of my Notes, accounts, etc after clearing something.

I should also add that I've never added any other Launchers to either device.

I hate invoking Safe Mode since you lose all widgets and icon placements (BB Launcher should have a backup/restore option!!!!!)

I would like it to work since it is suppose to even though I do not use the shortcuts very often.

I just tried killing or force-stopping some apps - no change.
    05-17-17 12:33 PM
    First I will ask - you can assign Keyboard shortcuts without issues?
    Yes, I can.

Third, I can invoke any that are already assigned. What I canNOT do is assign any new ones.
    Oh, now that's a different matter. In that case I'd suppose it's not even an error with Launcher, at least not Launcher per se.
    What the Launcher does when you try assigning a new shortcut, as you probably know, is create a list of all the entries which it can offer you there, i.e. apps, shortcuts and contacts. So my guess is that one of those entries has some kind of a problem, or the Launcher has some kind of a problem with one of those entries. Maybe he doesn't like your friends.

Safe Mode would probably tell you if it's an app that's causing the problem... If it would still crash then, I guess it would be safe to say that it's something with contacts.

Perhaps there's a chance logcat could tell you something, though I don't suppose you want to go through that trouble, and it could be in vain. How 'bout you hit that report button and just hope someone reads those reports?

Or create a new user account on the phone, set it up with no accounts so it has no contacts or apps, and start setting it up one by one thing to see when it will start crashing. That's what I'd probably do.

There's also the possibility of it being a pretty much random bug, but I wouldn't believe so since you're the only one who has that problem on both your devices. If your contacts are the same on both devices (syncing with Google Contacts or whatever) it would be my main suspect.
    05-18-17 03:37 AM
    Yes, I can.

Oh, now that's a different matter. In that case I'd suppose it's not even an error with Launcher, at least not Launcher per se.
    What the Launcher does when you try assigning a new shortcut, as you probably know, is create a list of all the entries which it can offer you there, i.e. apps, shortcuts and contacts. So my guess is that one of those entries has some kind of a problem, or the Launcher has some kind of a problem with one of those entries. Maybe he doesn't like your friends.

Safe Mode would probably tell you if it's an app that's causing the problem... If it would still crash then, I guess it would be safe to say that it's something with contacts.

Perhaps there's a chance logcat could tell you something, though I don't suppose you want to go through that trouble, and it could be in vain. How 'bout you hit that report button and just hope someone reads those reports?

Or create a new user account on the phone, set it up with no accounts so it has no contacts or apps, and start setting it up one by one thing to see when it will start crashing. That's what I'd probably do.

There's also the possibility of it being a pretty much random bug, but I wouldn't believe so since you're the only one who has that problem on both your devices. If your contacts are the same on both devices (syncing with Google Contacts or whatever) it would be my main suspect.
    Just a quickie reply.

This morning I realized that I have not done much to the ShopBB Priv (it does have my contacts and apps but most have not been initialized). It crashed again. But since no Widgets and I had not really organized Icons on its home screens, Safe Mode would not blow anything away. So I booted it in Safe Mode. It now works.

But now I have to track down what is causing the problem on a pretty clean ShopBB Priv and also on my Verizon Priv (with tons of stuff on it).

I did not think about Contacts being an issue. What could be lurking in a Contact or Contacts that might create problems.

I just saw Logcat mentioned elsewhere. What's it strengths?

Thanks.
    05-18-17 10:13 AM
    Just a quickie reply.

This morning I realized that I have not done much to the ShopBB Priv (it does have my contacts and apps but most have not been initialized). It crashed again. But since no Widgets and I had not really organized Icons on its home screens, Safe Mode would not blow anything away. So I booted it in Safe Mode. It now works.

But now I have to track down what is causing the problem on a pretty clean ShopBB Priv and also on my Verizon Priv (with tons of stuff on it).

I did not think about Contacts being an issue. What could be lurking in a Contact or Contacts that might create problems.

I just saw Logcat mentioned elsewhere. What's it strengths?

Thanks.
    If it didn't crash in Safe Mode, and I suppose contacts and all that is still there in that mode (never used it myself), then it must be some app that's crashing it.
    As for contacts, it could theoretically be a bad entry of some kind, maybe a corrupt contact picture etc., as it also attempts to display those when you want to assign a shortcut.

As for logcat, maybe this makes it a bit clearer:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2274119
    https://source.android.com/source/read-bug-reports
    It's basically a log listing everything the device and processes on it are doing, including, when it happens, what crashed, why it crashed etc. But unless you're the actual developer of the app in question, there's a high chance you (or me or someone way more knowledgeable than me) wouldn't be able to decipher it, that's why I said trying to do it could be in vain and hitting that Report button so that someone who would really know what to do with those logs is able to read them.
    On the other hand, watching how much stuff is going on every second could be kind of fun/interesting, even if it doesn't help you.

Anyway, where were we... Yeah, Launcher crashing... Do you maybe have any other issues, when listing through apps, shortcuts in the right tab of the app drawer, contacts...? Those should be basically the same lists as that one that comes up when you're assigning a shortcut so a problem might arise there as well.
    Wezard and FF22 like this.
    05-19-17 05:18 AM
    I've just tested out creating a new long press pkb shortcut, and it works without problem.

Here's my workflow: clear the home screen, press down on homescreen till this screen appears :
    Attached Thumbnails "Unfortunately, BB Launcher has stopped" when trying to assign keyboard shortcuts-27774.jpg  
    05-19-17 07:32 AM
    Then, settings, and this screen: keyboard shortcuts
    Attached Thumbnails "Unfortunately, BB Launcher has stopped" when trying to assign keyboard shortcuts-27775.jpg  
    05-19-17 07:33 AM
    I've got the current version of BlackBerry launcher, and other BlackBerry apps updated recently.
    Attached Thumbnails "Unfortunately, BB Launcher has stopped" when trying to assign keyboard shortcuts-27777.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    05-19-17 07:47 AM
    F2 I tried making a long press pkb the way you did via the app tray settings, and that worked fine as well. So, something conflicting with yours, eh.
    05-19-17 09:54 AM
    I've just tested out creating a new long press pkb shortcut, and it works without problem.

Here's my workflow: clear the home screen, press down on homescreen till this screen appears :
    Well, I rebooted the ShopBB Priv out of Safe Mode. Crashes again. I guess I can experiment with it more since I have less setup and vested in it.
    05-19-17 05:54 PM
    Well, I rebooted the ShopBB Priv out of Safe Mode. Crashes again. I guess I can experiment with it more since I have less setup and vested in it.
    Did you mention auto loader ....
    05-19-17 07:11 PM
    Did you mention auto loader ....
    No, I did not!

I guess I could do that an just not reload anything. I will look over what I have installed and see if anything seems related to keyboard or launcher or ???
    05-19-17 10:26 PM