I am happy to have a PKB on such a phone, to be clear about that.

After a few days of practising, I got used to a more cramped KB (EG compared to a PP), like I did with older tiny BBOS keyboards.

In the meanwhile, I like the typing experience, with a few but nasty exceptions:

1. selection of umlauts/special characters is a nightmare. You either have to interrupt the flow by reaching up to a selection bar. I don't know how, but that was much easier on the PP. Or, you use the trackpad, which is over-sensitive, and makes you either miss the desired character too easily, or, if you happen to hit it, you will have to wait before the cursor moves to the next blank spot, before you can continue typing, while carefully trying to not even slightly touch the 'trackpad'.

2. capital letters is a similar problem. Pressing & holding a key to capitalize it is OK. But then, with the slightest touch of any other key when moving to the next character, trouble starts. Either the cursor moves to a different location and you won't notice for quite a time. Or you move the selection to a different position in the selection bar and insert a random character rather than the upper case one. Whatever i try, i can almost never avoid that.

3. the space bar is mushy and has to be hit right in the middle, or weird things will happen. I know this is hw related, but maybe sw can do something abou that.

I hope this is understandable... Maybe BlackBerry can fine tune this, then the Priv PKB typing experience will be close to perfect.
    01-22-16 11:53 AM
    yea I agree with you on the Umlauts selection, they should make that easier/faster as a lot of languages use Umlauts very often

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-22-16 12:23 PM
    You mean many languages use diacritical marks, because Umlauts are used in German and related only ;-)
    01-22-16 05:48 PM
    I'd be interested to know if you find the accent selection with the touch keypad easier (in particular avoiding overshooting or accidentally switching the selection) with the pre-installed version of the BlackBerry Keyboard compared to the update released on December 14. The movement threshold is shorter (making it more sensitive) in the update.

If you've only used the latest version, you can uninstall the update for a temporary comparison.

Regards,
    Mark (BlackBerry text input development)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my PRIV by BlackBerry.
    jm1219 likes this.
    01-22-16 06:09 PM
    Plus1 here for the space bar problem. I have to hit mine slap bang in the middle to feel like I'm actually pressing it but I tendto hit it more to the left side when typing quickly. It still registers, but it can interrupt my flow which is annoying.

Toying with the idea of exchanging it for another Priv (love the rest of the phone) but don't want to end up with other issues like creaks clicking back plate etc.
    01-22-16 06:20 PM
    I disabled the touchpad feature because I'm sliding my fingers across the keyboard when touch-typing which triggered lots of crazy stuff.
    01-22-16 07:23 PM
    @Mark Cullum how to disable the latest update only? I can only find uninstall in Playstore, which looks like the entire KB feature will get uninstalled. Afraid to proceed...

Edit: I just dared to uninstall (only the updates got uninstalled not the entire feature) and find it a little less difficult to handle now. Still not perfect though and error prone. It gives you a uncomfortable feeling when moving the finger to the next char you want to type - a very slight touch of any other key, and weird things happen again.

P. S. If I remember correctly, it was possible to adjust KB/trackpad sensitivity on the PP. Maybe it would help to have that on the Priv as well.
    Last edited by gnirkatto; 01-23-16 at 02:34 AM.
    01-23-16 02:17 AM
    Feedback after more testing with the downgraded version:

Definitely better, but still overshooting on a regular basis. Also, I have to lift my finger absolutely vertically from the key after having selected that he special character, to avoid touching other keys.

This is very inconvenient, as the Priv is quite top-heavy, therefore not really easy to hold while typing.

So not being able to keep finger(s) close to or on the keyboard almost makes it tilt - at least this is how it feels.

I think custom sensitivity adjustment is the way to go. If for my taste, sensitivity should be reduced much further, compared to even the version before the upgrade.

Without custom sensitivity setting, we will a) always have a majority of people get dissatisfied about changes after updates and b) we'll always have to wait for BlackBerry to release another update before anything changes
    01-23-16 05:38 AM
    Yep, the space bar sucks.
    01-23-16 11:43 PM
    Plus1 here for the space bar problem. I have to hit mine slap bang in the middle to feel like I'm actually pressing it but I tendto hit it more to the left side when typing quickly. It still registers, but it can interrupt my flow which is annoying.

Toying with the idea of exchanging it for another Priv (love the rest of the phone) but don't want to end up with other issues like creaks clicking back plate etc.
    +2!

My space bar works ok but lacks the 'click' of the other keys.

Phone is otherwise perfect though so I'm reluctant to swap it I in.
    01-26-16 03:07 PM
    I tried to disable KB gestures, as it produces so many errors when typing and selecting capital or special characters. But then flicking words doesn't work any longer, which I like and use all the time.
    Please BlackBerry give me custom sensitivity settings, so that I can make this react less sensibly, while preserving the useful features.
    01-26-16 03:57 PM
    Apparently I was wrong, there is no sensitivity setting on the PP. I was sure, but can't find such an option now.

But I went back to my PP SE today. Oh man, it is so much better to type on a PP than on the Priv.
    01-28-16 03:06 PM