To use the BlackBerry Launcher shortcuts in another Launcher (I use Nova) you need to download Tasker.

First step:

• Open Tasker, go to preferences and disable beginner mode.

Second step:

• Find the Window label for your launcher's home screen (for Nova: Home)
    • If you are using another Launcher make a new profile:

Event -> UI -> New Window

Task: Alert -> Flash - %WIN

Then press the home button, a toast notification will show up on your screen (you will need to copy it exactly later, case-sensitive)

Third step:

New profile: State -> Hardware -> Keyboard Out

Task:

• Task -> If: %WIN ~ Home (replace home with the label of your home screen)
    • App -> Launch app -> BlackBerry Launcher (check exclude from recent app list)
    • Task -> End If

Fourth step:

• New profile: State -> Hardware -> Keyboard Out - invert
    • Task: If: %WIN ~ BlackBerry Launcher
    • App -> Launch app -> Nova (or the Launcher you use)
    • End if

Fifth step:

• Disable or delete the first profile we made, so you don't still get a toast when you change windows.

Now, if you are on your homescreen and open the keyboard, it will switch to BlackBerry Launcher so you can use the shortcuts. If you are on the BlackBerry Launcher, and you close the keyboard, it will return to your normal homescreen.

This, along with the pop up widgets, are the only two features that I loved/missed about BlackBerry Launcher. If you want the pop up widgets in another Launcher (that doesn't already have them) download Popup Widgets 2 from the play store, then in your Launcher set up the swipe from that icon to a Popup widget.

If you need screenshots of all the profiles/tasks, just let me know

EDIT: I have recieved some messages asking to clarify certain steps, so instead of replying to the PM, I'm going to add it here so everyone can see it.

Finding the window label:

Okay, essentially, every screen on your phone in apps etc. has a label. This just tells your phone what's on the screen. With tasker, you can setup profiles that will run or not run, depending on the screen you are on.

The first profile that you make in tasker is to find the label (think name) of the home screen of your launcher. So that profile, just puts up a toast notification when the label of the screen (in tasker it is stored in a variable, which is: %WIN)

For nova, the name of the homescreen is just "Home" with the caps, without the quotes. Here is a scrrenshot of the profile and task:

Tutorial: Use BlackBerry Launcher keyboard shortcuts with other launchers-screenshot_20160606-155932.jpg Tutorial: Use BlackBerry Launcher keyboard shortcuts with other launchers-screenshot_20160606-155936.jpg
    Tutorial: Use BlackBerry Launcher keyboard shortcuts with other launchers-screenshot_20160606-160009.jpg

The screenshot of my homescreen shows how it will flash up the window label. Now, DELETE THIS PROFILE. Once you have the label for your launcher (BB launcher label in original post) you don't need this, and you don't want that to come up verytime something happens on your screen.

Third Step:

Tutorial: Use BlackBerry Launcher keyboard shortcuts with other launchers-screenshot_20160606-155942.jpg Tutorial: Use BlackBerry Launcher keyboard shortcuts with other launchers-screenshot_20160606-155945.jpg

Fourth step:

Tutorial: Use BlackBerry Launcher keyboard shortcuts with other launchers-screenshot_20160606-155955.jpg Tutorial: Use BlackBerry Launcher keyboard shortcuts with other launchers-screenshot_20160606-155958.jpg

Optional extra step:

I wanted a quick way to go back to nova after using a shortcut and still in the app (I know just hit home button, but lazy and this way is cooler )

In the Task that launches BlackBerry launcher, I have added these actions:

Tutorial: Use BlackBerry Launcher keyboard shortcuts with other launchers-screenshot_20160606-161053.jpg

I have also made this profile and exit task:

Tutorial: Use BlackBerry Launcher keyboard shortcuts with other launchers-screenshot_20160606-161301.jpg Tutorial: Use BlackBerry Launcher keyboard shortcuts with other launchers-screenshot_20160606-161303.jpg

So, if i open blackberry launcher with by opening the keyboard, and go to another app but want to go back to my homescreen, all i need to do is close the keyboard within 30 seconds of opening it, useful for quick shortcuts like checking battery stats, but won't mess up if it's sending an email or something.
    Last edited by Temper1; 06-06-16 at 11:16 AM. Reason: formatting + screenshots
    06-03-16 06:19 PM
    Nice! I love tasker too, so much you can do with it. What we really need is a sticky with tasker recipes.
    06-04-16 03:21 PM
    Mmmm... I will need to look into this... there are more powerful launchers out there but the kb shortcuts were unique to the BlackBerry Launcher and too much compromise for me... with your solution maybe that's not an issue anymore... thanks!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-04-16 05:28 PM
    This is fascinating - I will definitely try it with action launcher when I get a chance.

I'm assuming that because it swaps launchers, that when the keyboard is open you see the blackberry launcher on screen, and when the keyboard is closed you see your other launcher?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-05-16 08:04 PM
    Ooh, this sounds like I could adapt it to work with keyboards, since I'm really not a fan of the BB virtual keyboard, for those odd times when I need to use the virtual one, but do like having the keyboard gestures when typing on the physical keyboard. Will give that a try and report back with my results.
    06-06-16 09:38 AM
    You will see the other launcher, yes, but seeing as it's only for using the shortcuts, and not anything else, I just made it look slightly like my nove home screen; might bother some people, but i'm fine with it. I guess if you really wanted to, you could have no icons and set the background as your nova screen?
    06-06-16 10:42 AM
    Ooh, this sounds like I could adapt it to work with keyboards, since I'm really not a fan of the BB virtual keyboard, for those odd times when I need to use the virtual one, but do like having the keyboard gestures when typing on the physical keyboard. Will give that a try and report back with my results.
    Here is another tasker profile that I use to use to use swiftkey and BB keyboard for physical together:

All in all, 2 profiles, you need autoinput for this to work:

Profile 1:

State -> Hardware -> Keyboard out

Exit Task:

A1: Settings -> Input method Select
    (This just displays the input methods)

A2: Plugin -> AutoInput -> Action
    Click the pencil edit icon. For action, select click. Field type is text. Then for Field Text write exactly the name that comes up for the input method select screen - case-sensitive. As this is opening the pkb you want BB keyboard, it is: English (UK). Nearby text BlackBerry Keyboard.

So Field Type: Text
    Field Text: English (UK)
    Nearby test: BlackBerry Keyboard

Profile 2:

State -> Hardware -> Keyboard out - invert

Exit task:

A1: Settings -> Input method Select
    (This just displays the input methods)

A2: Plugin -> AutoInput -> Action
    Click the pencil edit icon. For action, select click. Field type is text. Then for Field Text write exactly the name that comes up for the input method select screen - case-sensitive. You need to find the one specific to the other keyboard here, and any nearby text is handy to make it faster.

Then when you open the pkb, it's bb keyboard, close the pkb, your virtual keyboard of choice. There was a tutorial on here a while ago, should be pretty much the same as this though.
    tp2386 and artemis-kun like this.
    06-06-16 10:53 AM
    HI. Im using this tasker profile as you have explained. I just follow the steps as don't really understand the whole thing.

2 Issues- When I finish typing with the pkb and close the window I'm working in goes away and I have to open it again. Also , if I'm on the lock screen and open the pkb, it does not shift to Blackberry launcher. I have to unlock and redo the slide out to make it happen.

Lastly, I would love to have tones when typing on the pkb even if its not perfect. Could you tell me the steps?

Many Thanks.

Ajay Malkani
    12-19-16 08:18 AM