Loving the Priv, but I just couldn't get used to the gestures on the physical keyboard. When typing it kept moving the cursor and I would be typing in the middle of my message rather than at the end. I was getting more and more frustrated with it, so I turned off the feature, and I'm much happier without it. Thought I would share in case anybody else is having the same problem. Settings, Language and inputs, scroll down to physical keyboard, and turn off gestures.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-02-15 07:32 PM
    Loving the Priv, but I just couldn't get used to the gestures on the physical keyboard. When typing it kept moving the cursor and I would be typing in the middle of my message rather than at the end. I was getting more and more frustrated with it, so I turned off the feature, and I'm much happier without it. Thought I would share in case anybody else is having the same problem. Settings, Language and inputs, scroll down to physical keyboard, and turn off gestures.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind...I don't think it's the swipe gestures however...double tapping the keyboard in the same place quickly (or touching the screen) will enable the cursor...which can happen on occasion when typing. You have to double tap the keyboard again to get rid of it. It will disable automatically once you start typing but sometimes you brush the keypad and the cursor moves first which leads to the problem you mention about inserting a sentence in the middle of your message.

Posted from my Priv!
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-02-15 at 07:55 PM.
    12-02-15 07:44 PM
    Trying a post with gestures off...ya this is good since I don't use the cursor much or the gestures...but I do use the scrolling so I guess I'll keep gestures on. I wish you could set them all separately...I would probably turn off swipe gestures and the cursor and turn on scrolling.

Posted from my Priv!
    12-02-15 07:57 PM
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind...I don't think it's the swipe gestures however...double tapping the keyboard in the same place quickly (or touching the screen) will enable the cursor...which can happen on occasion when typing. You have to double tap the keyboard again to get rid of it. It will disable automatically once you start typing but sometimes you brush the keypad and the cursor moves first which leads to the problem you mention about inserting a sentence in the middle of your message.

Posted from my Priv!
    Yeah, it was the double tap that was killing me. I got in the habit of gently rubbing my thumbs on the keys or tapping when I'm thinking about what to type with my other BlackBerrys. Q10 was my last one. Turning off the gestures fixed the double tap issue. I like the idea of being able to turn that off, but still use the keyboard to scroll on Web pages etc.

12-02-15 08:40 PM
    Yeah, it was the double tap that was killing me. I got in the habit of gently rubbing my thumbs on the keys or tapping when I'm thinking about what to type with my other BlackBerrys. Q10 was my last one. Turning off the gestures fixed the double tap issue. I like the idea of being able to turn that off, but still use the keyboard to scroll on Web pages etc.

Once you get used to the double-tab cursor, it's kinda cool how you can hold the shift key to select words (before or after the cursor).
    12-02-15 08:52 PM
    Once you get used to the double-tab cursor, it's kinda cool how you can hold the shift key to select words (before or after the cursor).
    Yeah, I could definitely see the benefit of it, but i'll type without looking, and 6 words later I've typed in the middle of my message and was spending way too much time making corrections. Old (bad) habits die hard. I might turn it back on at some point and try again, but for me it's a much better experience with the double tap gesture off.

12-02-15 08:58 PM
    Cool...I did not know that...it also selects all if you scroll up or down

Posted from my Priv!
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-03-15 at 06:22 AM.
    12-02-15 09:14 PM
    Where does one make changes to the keyboard gestures??

Flick or clicked with my Priv.
    12-02-15 09:42 PM
    All you can do is turn it on and off. Step by step is in the first post.

12-02-15 10:16 PM
    If you have disabled the gestures, I'd suggest trying them again after the next update for the BlackBerry Keyboard. I can't promise complete satisfaction if there are some interactions that cause you trouble, but you should see at least some incremental improvements.

You can watch Inside BlackBerry (blogs.blackberry.com) to see when updates are announced.

Note that the setting identified here turns off touch input from the keypad entirely, so it's not only going to stop all of the gestures on the physical keyboard which the BlackBerry Keyboard provides for text input, but also prevents scrolling with the physical keyboard outside of text input.

There is definitely a delicate balance between suppressing unintended gestures in the middle of typing and making intentional gestures easy to achieve reliably. We're continuing to tune this.

Regards,
    Mark - BlackBerry Keyboard development

(I work for BlackBerry, but my opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer. However, my opinions on our keyboard may end up reflected in code...)
    12-02-15 11:32 PM
    All you can do is turn it on and off. Step by step is in the first post.

Thank you, missed that.....doh.....

Flick or clicked with my Priv.
    12-03-15 12:38 AM
    Cool...I did not know that.

Posted from my Priv!
    Yeah. While holding down shift, swiping left/right selects words and swiping up/down selects lines.
    12-03-15 05:18 AM
    If you have disabled the gestures, I'd suggest trying them again after the next update for the BlackBerry Keyboard. I can't promise complete satisfaction if there are some interactions that cause you trouble, but you should see at least some incremental improvements.

You can watch Inside BlackBerry (blogs.blackberry.com) to see when updates are announced.

Note that the setting identified here turns off touch input from the keypad entirely, so it's not only going to stop all of the gestures on the physical keyboard which the BlackBerry Keyboard provides for text input, but also prevents scrolling with the physical keyboard outside of text input.

There is definitely a delicate balance between suppressing unintended gestures in the middle of typing and making intentional gestures easy to achieve reliably. We're continuing to tune this.

Regards,

(I work for BlackBerry, but my opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer. However, my opinions on our keyboard may end up reflected in code...)
    Mark,

Absolutely love the keyboard.

There's only one feature on my keyboard wish list - the ability to undo/redo when typing. Similar to Windows, where you can press ctrl-z/ctrl-y.

Granted, I can only imagine the additional complexity that would require, so it's definitely not something I would ever expect to see - just a wish.

Thanks for all the hard work! The keyboard rocks!
    00stryder likes this.
    12-03-15 05:31 AM
    Mark,

Absolutely love the keyboard.

There's only one feature on my keyboard wish list - the ability to undo/redo when typing. Similar to Windows, where you can press ctrl-z/ctrl-y.

Granted, I can only imagine the additional complexity that would require, so it's definitely not something I would ever expect to see - just a wish.

Thanks for all the hard work! The keyboard rocks!
    I forgot that swiping left will delete words too.

Anyway another suggestion I have is simplify the keyboard.

q w e r t y u i o p
    a s d f g h j k l DEL
    z x c v b n m ,. RETURN
    SHIFT SPACE SHIFT

Make all the buttons and lettering bigger...and make buttons softer. The spacebars sides should be pushy...nothing more annoying than hitting the side of the spacebar and it missing. Drop the alt and $ button on the main keyboard to create more space.

We need little bumps on the F and J keys so we can find them easily...same as on a full size keyboard. I think the focus should be on touch typing with thumbs. Once you can touch type you will NEVER use a vkb again.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...t-looking.html

Also any chance of having a Dvorak or Colemak option? You don't have to change the physical keys...just the key maps.

Posted from my Priv!
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-03-15 at 06:42 AM.
    12-03-15 06:15 AM

Regards,

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I'll definitely give the gestures a try next week after the software update is released by Rogers.

12-05-15 12:37 PM
    I really miss the bumps on F an J. They are critical to heads up typing.

BlackBerry PRIV
    12-05-15 04:01 PM
    I few updates in the future We should have some configurable options for it .. I have to ask... WHERE IS THE CURSOR?

12-12-15 06:56 PM
    Keep BOTH thumbs in contact with the KB & the unwanted motions do not occur... someone suggested that long ago & it works for the me & improves my typing speed.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 10:32 PM
    I really miss the bumps on F an J. They are critical to heads up typing.

BlackBerry PRIV
    Also they give low vision people a reference point...

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 10:34 PM