Let me expand a bit. A million years ago I created my favourite play list on itunes ( I think). I took (burned) favourite songs from all my CD's and created the playlist. Somehow I managed to get that playlist onto my Q10. I no longer have the Mac computer that I used to create the playlist. No longer have the CD's and you can't find some of this music on itunes. The playlist is on my little ipod also.

Have tried to transfer using the content transfer app but I see nothing on my new Priv. Moved all contacts and notes just fine. Is the problem that I need to find and download the right music player? I did download Pi (after reading a previous suggestion) and it sits empty. I performed the transfer using Google option that was offered by the software.

I note that that I see my music in Device/misc/Linkdrop when I root around on my old Q10 and all the songs in the list end in .m4a or .m4p (mostly .m4a it seems).

I'm a bit of a techno-***** so I have no clue how to move my music AND get it to play on my new PRIV.

Suggestions appreciated!! Thanks
    04-28-17 07:55 PM
    Let's start with the basics:

1) Where is your music stored on your Q10? Is it on your device or is it on your memory card?
    2) You say you don't have a Mac but do you have any access to a computer? Can be Windows.
    04-28-17 08:46 PM
    Let me expand a bit. A million years ago I created my favourite play list on itunes ( I think). I took (burned) favourite songs from all my CD's and created the playlist. Somehow I managed to get that playlist onto my Q10. I no longer have the Mac computer that I used to create the playlist. No longer have the CD's and you can't find some of this music on itunes. The playlist is on my little ipod also.

Have tried to transfer using the content transfer app but I see nothing on my new Priv. Moved all contacts and notes just fine. Is the problem that I need to find and download the right music player? I did download Pi (after reading a previous suggestion) and it sits empty. I performed the transfer using Google option that was offered by the software.

I note that that I see my music in Device/misc/Linkdrop when I root around on my old Q10 and all the songs in the list end in .m4a or .m4p (mostly .m4a it seems).

I'm a bit of a techno-***** so I have no clue how to move my music AND get it to play on my new PRIV.

Suggestions appreciated!! Thanks
    As Bla1ze asked, where is your older music on the Q10? Can you copy/move it to a computer as backup and safekeeping?

Now since depending on your collection size (both file size and number of files), I did not use Content Transfer. I figured it would be slow and don't always trust those type of programs/apps. So I moved my songs manually, probably using the computer as an intermediary storage. Then to the new sd-card.

Then, not sure why at this time, I created a Music sub-Folder on the sd-card in the Android subfolder. In that Music subfolder I have all of my albums in their own folders or if a composer or artist has more than one album in my collection, I might have a Beatles Subfolder and a Brahms subfolder.
    04-28-17 09:22 PM
    thanks for the reply. When I go to the file manager i see the music under Misc and LinkDrop. So it's Device/misc/LinkDrop. It'a not a massive playlist...170 songs or so, say an avg of 4MB each. It is on the device, not a memory card. The original SIM card is still in the Q10 as it wasn't transferable to the PRIV.

Correct. The Mac is dead, but I do have a Microsoft Surface that I'm using right now.

Thoughts?
    04-28-17 09:36 PM
    Also there is no memory card in either the Q10 or the Priv...just SIM cards I believe
    04-28-17 09:41 PM
    A few options

Get apple music. You can then transfer/sync your itunes library.

Get a memory card and put in Q10. Move music to sd card and put sd card in priv. I believe if the card is larger than 32G you have to format it in the priv first using microsoft exfat app (help me out if I'm off here guys)

If you have a working computer, you can plug the Q10 in and transfer music files to computer from Q10. Then plug in priv and drag down from top of priv and select the second option to show priv drives on your computer. Transfer music from computer to priv.
    Last edited by erose75; 04-29-17 at 07:37 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-28-17 09:56 PM
    Also there is no memory card in either the Q10 or the Priv...just SIM cards I believe
    I don't know about the Q10 but I know the PRIV has an sd-card slot. It is opposite the sim card slot. I suspect the Q10 also has a slot.

Yes, erose, if the card is larger the phone needs the exFat driver and it can be found by searching the Google Playstore for Blackberry and it will show up as an MS exFat app.
    04-28-17 11:45 PM
    I don't know about the Q10 but I know the PRIV has an sd-card slot. It is opposite the sim card slot. I suspect the Q10 also has a slot.

Yes, erose, if the card is larger the phone needs the exFat driver and it can be found by searching the Google Playstore for Blackberry and it will show up as an MS exFat app.
    Thanks for the assist. Yes, the Q10 has an SD slot behind the battery cover by the sim card slot.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-29-17 07:35 AM
    Forget about the SIM, it is totally irrelevant to this issue.

External access to the Q10's internal memory is the problem to work around.

Since the Q10 only has 16GB internal ram, and you have your music stored in the space leftover (the OS and apps taking a large chunk of it already), the quick and easy way is to get a 16GB micro SD card. I say 16GB because the amount of data your music uses up would never be more than that, and you don't have to worry about any weird pre-formatting between the two devices (although, you can go to 32GB if you want). Plus, they are really cheap right now. Use the phone's file manager to copy the folder with your music over from Device memory to the Media card.

The Q10 can also format a larger SD card (64Gb and above) with it's own exFat driver assuming the OS is new enough. It may be worth it to just get a larger SD card so it can be used in the Priv too. More space is always a plus. If you do that, just be sure the card is readable in both devices before copying stuff over.

The other option is to use that Surface. Using a USB cable, plug the phone into the Surface. The screen may turn on with some options. One may be asking to load drivers to the PC. Try that. If it works, you should see a network drive (Z:/) pop up in the Surface's File Manager. If nothing happens, you may have to download the Device Manager installer from BlackBerry, run the installer, and load only the driver option (you can check or uncheck "Blend" and "Link" - neither are really needed for just file access). This does the same thing, giving you access to the internal memory as a network drive. You will find the same folders in that drive that you could see in the phone's File Manager. Navigate to your music folder and copy them over to your Surface somewhere you can keep track of.

BTW, some have had issues with the Device Manager on Windows 10 (which I assume the Surface is running). But the problems were typically with Link itself. Less so with just the driver for basic access. Doesn't mean that you won' t have problems, just less likely. Personally, I have everything working on my Win 10 machine - but it's also not a Surface.

If all that worked, then you can copy all that over to your connected Priv the same way. Assuming you can access internal memory on an Android phone in a similar way. Might want to check that out first just to be sure (I'm not as sure of the methods).
    FF22 likes this.
    04-29-17 09:46 AM
    thanks so much for the help and suggestions. I'll take this to the Telus store and see if they can help me get the right SD card....then I'll try all the transfer suggestions you suggest. Cross your fingers lol.

Also does the music player on the Priv matter for this music which was burned from CD's ages ago?
    04-29-17 09:58 PM
    thanks so much for the help and suggestions. I'll take this to the Telus store and see if they can help me get the right SD card....then I'll try all the transfer suggestions you suggest. Cross your fingers lol.

Also does the music player on the Priv matter for this music which was burned from CD's ages ago?
    As with most things Android, there are probably a ton of music players. Most folks probably try two or three at least, if not more. I guess depending on the quality of how the files sound, maybe something that lets you tweak the bass or treble or mid-ranges could be helpful. I've never gone to great lengths with the files so I'm probably not the audiophile to make recommendations.

I think in the past I've seen threads on music players.
    04-29-17 11:32 PM
    You can use the stock google play music app to play your music on your sd card. Or there are several other apps, as mentioned, if that doesn't suit your needs.
    04-30-17 02:13 PM